Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Peron AMA
Hello Citizens,

So one of the things that our esteemed mayor Nick Nunziata wanted to do with Trouble City, was to reconnect with the community that was developed over at CHUD. Great idea! Browsing over the forums, I see that there is quite a bit of communication between the other writers and regular posters. I sadly wasn't part of the CHUD community and therefore I am a relative unknown to most. So I thought I'd open up the floor for you forum peeps to AMA me to break the ice.

To get the ball rolling here are some pertinent details:

Background: Disgruntled office worker who moonlights as a stand-up comedian. Canadian, but I'm not that polite.

Past Writing Credits: I ran micro-shock.com for six years, I've written for destroythebrain.com, bthroughz.com, fandom.com.

Interests (in order of importance): comic books, horror movies, 80s movies/tv shows, video games

Claim to Fame: Was banned from performing comedy in China, briefly appeared in the movie Sexsquatch.

---------------------------

So if you have any questions to ask me about anything, lay them out.
How did a star of stage, screen, and Sexsquatch find their way here? Did you meet Nick through Fandom.com, or were you acquainted before that?
If you have time to tell it, what’s the story behind you getting banned from performing comedy in China?
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation. 
On the subject of 80's TV shows, what is your top Stephen J. Cannell production from the decade?
With jewelry crafting coming to Elder Scrolls Online, what would you recommend as a second 5-piece set for an Argonian Stamina Sorceror, assuming that I'm already using the Night Mother's Gaze set to reach the soft cap on physical armor penetration?
Why is there a watermelon there?
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Do you fuck?
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Which part of Canadian are you from?
What's your Top 10 movies Nick?

Also, what are your Top 10 TV shows?

Let me in. Let me judge you.
(03-30-2018, 04:53 PM)Reasor Wrote: How did a star of stage, screen, and Sexsquatch find their way here?  Did you meet Nick through Fandom.com, or were you acquainted before that?

Good guess! I was a regular fixture at the Marvel Comics Wiki when I saw the ads Wikia was putting out looking for Fan Contributors for their Fandom venture. I applied, and soon I was writing for them. Nick was the lead editor at the time and he really loved my quirky article ideas. He also went to bat to get them greenlit and prevent too much editorial interference. That summer, Wikia did their annual "Community Connect", which they used to trick Wikia users to their head offices in San Francisco to show people how neat they are. Among those selected were the core writers for Fandom (which consisted of former CHUD writers. Dani Ryan, Drew Diestch, Travis Newton et al) Nick was really happy to see me, and it got me the opportunity to get some face time with him and his vision for the Fandom website.

To be honest, Community Connect was a dull affair. It was like a timeshare meeting in a toy store. They basically mined us for input on how best to implement the various changes they were thinking of making across Wikia. To give you an idea of how exciting that was. I spent an entire hour in a workshop listening to a bunch of anime fans (who were admins of various anime Wikis) argue about the virtue of "Shipping" (Basically Fan Fiction where you play match maker for imaginary people). I had a real Sophie's Choice moment where I debated if I should leap across the table and strangle them or poke my eyes out with my bare hands.

But that torture would end for the day, and Nick would gather the Fandom writers and we'd have some actual fun. We networked like normal people, you know -- getting shit faced in bars and smoking cigars. 

Eventually, Nick and Wikia parted ways for "amicable reasons" (that story I am not privy too, but considering the e-mail we got had the phrase "effective immediately" I figured it wasn't a disagreement about "Shipping") 

With Nick gone, I got to see how much he had went up to bat for me at Fandom. For the first time my articles ideas were being rejected, and being heavily edited.

The last straw for me was around the time the Wonder Woman movie was coming out. I suggested writing an article about how Wonder Woman went from a spokesperson for female bondage to the archetype for a strong female character. They canned that idea and suggested I do a 5-list about bad Wonder Woman villains. Because why write anything of substance, right? Anyway, as a "fuck you" to the editors, I listed Wonder Woman's worst enemy as "The Patriarchy" and sneaked in some of the elements of my original idea. The article was a hit, particularly the last part. The editor came back and said "Hey, can you write another Wonder Woman article?" that was basically the same exact thing I pitched.

By this point, I was missing the guidance Nick provided, so I dropped him a line. This was about the time he was starting Trouble City. As soon as he offered to take me aboard, I said so long to Fandom and jumped ship immediately, like a lot of the CHUD writers that Nick first brought in. As best I can recall, the only person still over at Fandom is Drew because he managed to score a sweet gig working for them and was actually getting paid to do his articles. 

Anyway, I know what I have to say about Fandom doesn't sound the most positive, so I'll make a point by saying that I don't begrudge anyone over at Wikia and Fandom. What I wanted to do and what they were looking for simply became two different things. I didn't want to spend my time writing 5-lists whenever a new comic book movie was coming out, or writing the type of fluff that make demands of the entertainment they enjoy. Not my bag. You've probably noticed that I have written a lot of saterical pieces like that of late, it was inspired by my experience writing for Fandom after Nick set sails for greener pastures.

(03-30-2018, 05:13 PM)Tim K Wrote: If you have time to tell it, what’s the story behind you getting banned from performing comedy in China?

That's sadly not as awesome a story as you'd think. This was a few years back, I was selected to perform at the Hong Kong Comedy Festival. Now to travel to China, you need to get a visa approved by the Chinese government. Even if you're going to vacation there. So I filled out all the paperwork, hand-delivered it to my local Chinese consulate, paid the processing fees, and waited. The application was denied, and the reasoning wasn't quite clear. I suspect that, at the time, I had started a fake Twitter account for my fictional son (named Wayne). Basically, I took a picture of 3-year-old me, and I would write horrible things from the lens of a terribly neglected child. (You can check it out @sonofperon you can watch the transition where I got bored and used it to troll Alex Jones) 

So my guess is that they found that and thought that I was some kind of threat to the great nation of China with my dark jokes about child neglect. 

It's kind of anti-climatic when I tell it, but it's a good way to be summoned to the stage when I'm doing a gig. Kind of prepares the audience for what might come out of my mouth.

(03-30-2018, 05:20 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: On the subject of 80's TV shows, what is your top Stephen J. Cannell production from the decade?

Why not ask me to choose my favorite child! They're all delightful. I will say this however, I used to watch Silk Stalkings with the mute button on (if you know what I mean)

(03-30-2018, 05:34 PM)Reasor Wrote: With jewelry crafting coming to Elder Scrolls Online, what would you recommend as a second 5-piece set for an Argonian Stamina Sorceror, assuming that I'm already using the Night Mother's Gaze set to reach the soft cap on physical armor penetration?

I think the simplest solution is to uninstall Elder Scrolls and install Fallout 4. You can build robots, which is way more fun.

(03-30-2018, 06:01 PM)DerekM Wrote: Why is there a watermelon there?

Don't you quote Buckaroo Banzi at me, young man. 

(03-30-2018, 06:23 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Do you fuck?

I've been known to fuck.

(03-30-2018, 06:31 PM)Munson Wrote: Which part of Canadian are you from?

I live in Ottawa

(03-30-2018, 11:58 PM)Bucho Wrote: What's your Top 10 movies Nick?

Also, what are your Top 10 TV shows?

Let me in. Let me judge you.

Top 10 Movies (in no particular order):

1. Cannibal Holocaust
2. Faces of Death
3. Robocop
4. Halloween III
5. Nightmare on Elm St 2
6. Friday the 13th 5
7. Transformers: The Movie (the '87 animated film)
8. The Toxic Avenger
9. Videodrome
10. Night of the Creeps

Top 10 TV shows:

1. Tales from the Crypt
2. X-Files
3. South Park
4. Forensic Files
5. Penn & Teller's: Bullshit!
6. Mystery Science Theater 3000
7. Transformers (the original cartoon)
8. G.I. Joe (ditto)
9. Masters of the Universe (again, original show)
10. Sliders

My tastes range from epically awesome to "oh my god, that is awful, why? Why?"
The Transformers animated film was 1986, but I'll allow it. You shall be cordially invited to the watchalong if/when it happens again.

What are your Top 5 albums? I'll spot you The Transformers The Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.
(03-31-2018, 08:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: The Transformers animated film was 1986, but I'll allow it.

Yes, but when was it released in Canada? You should be able to sympathize, since it didn’t get to New Zealand till 1994. Presumably banned until then for gratuitous depiction of robocide.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Nick, do you like roller derby? The Capital City and Rideau Valley leagues just merged, and without crosstown poaching should have a much more competitive roster this year.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
Quote:Top 10 Movies (in no particular order):
1. Cannibal Holocaust

Top 10 TV shows:
1. Tales from the Crypt

Awesome. Have you Nicks thought about maybe reanimating Creature Corner? Would be great to see CC make a comeback as a source of horror news, reviews, cool articles etc
(03-31-2018, 08:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: The Transformers animated film was 1986, but I'll allow it. You shall be cordially invited to the watchalong if/when it happens again.

Ah shit your right. I got it mixed up with the home video release, which I believe was a year later. It had at least aired on television at that point at least. I think? The fog of memory is made of whiskey.
(03-31-2018, 10:00 AM)lightning slim Wrote: Nick, do you like roller derby? The Capital City and Rideau Valley leagues just merged, and without crosstown poaching should have a much more competitive roster this year.

Got to admit, I have never seen a rolly derby event. I'd like to go but me and large crowds don't tend to agree with each other. The joys of having anxiety.

(03-31-2018, 08:58 AM)Curiosity Cosby Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 08:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: The Transformers animated film was 1986, but I'll allow it.

Yes, but when was it released in Canada? You should be able to sympathize, since it didn’t get to New Zealand till 1994. Presumably banned until then for gratuitous depiction of robocide.

But who really shot Optimus Prime? Nobody believes the official story. Megatron was always a lousy shot. There had to have been a second shooter.

(03-31-2018, 08:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: What are your Top 5 albums? I'll spot you The Transformers The Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Now you're making me have to think!

1. In Flames - Colony
2. Dethklok - The Dethalbum
3. "Weird Al" Yankovic's self-titled album
4. Reel Big Fish - Cheer Up!
5. Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bullocks!

My musical tastes range from metal, punk, ska, and a lot of Weird Al.
I'm a sick, sick, man.

(03-31-2018, 11:07 AM)Adam_72 Wrote:
Quote:Awesome. Have you Nicks thought about maybe reanimating Creature Corner? Would be great to see CC make a comeback as a source of horror news, reviews, cool articles etc

I'm not sure what Mr. Mayor has planned in terms of bringing back old CHUD features. I am also unfamiliar with the CHUD era stuff. Sadly I never visited the old site. One of my few regrets in life. I'll have to visit the archives and get myself up to speed.

I like doing reviews, and articles so. Not so big on news. These days I find that getting a scoop on something is usually difficult to get thanks to social media. Commentary on the news is something I could get into though.

I am sure this is going to come up, so allow me to talk about video games. I am a PS4 guy. Got the whole VR whirly gig going as well. Games I am presently playing are:

Friday the 13th
Injustice 2
Fallout 4
LA Noir
GTA 5
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Drunkin Bar Fight
Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Anyone who wants to add me on PSN you can find me under the user ID Nausiated_
Did you ever play Resident Evil 7? If not, I highly recommend it. A horror gamers dream.
I have not. I have been thinking about it. The only other horror game I was playing recently was Dead by Daylight. Which I was unimpressed with since I played it after I played F13, which is a far better game.