Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halloween 2018 Pre-release Discussion (and teaser poster)
(06-15-2018, 04:28 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: That and there is a scene early in Halloween 2 where you see Loomis off in the distance from Michael's POV and he is raving about Michael. Plays real and yet funny for some reason. I wll miss you real Loomis.

"I SHOT HIM SIX TIMES!"
[/quote]
YES! It always made me laugh I think because that's exactly what I would be doing.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I'll completely invalidate my own argument and say I'd love to see what Pleasence would've done in a sequel to the Halloween 6 Producer's Cut.
If they could have made 6 in 91 or 92 with a follow up in 93 or 94 Pleasence would have been able too. That gap between 5 and 6 was pretty long.
(06-15-2018, 05:46 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: I'll completely invalidate my own argument and say I'd love to see what Pleasence would've done in a sequel to the Halloween 6 Producer's Cut.
(06-15-2018, 05:52 PM)call me roy Wrote: If they could have made 6 in 91 or 92 with a follow up in 93 or 94 Pleasence would have been able too. That gap between 5 and 6 was pretty long.

That could have been some legitimate new ground for the character, certainly. Despite not liking the Thorn storyline, I would have been interested in seeing how that new dynamic would have played out.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'm still not certain what is supposed to have happened to Loomis at the end of the theatrical cut of 6. He went back in and Michael killed him (I feel this is most likely no matter how unclear it came across)? He went back in and saw that Michael was gone again and started screaming? It's just absolutely bonkers..
The theatrical cut's ending seems so ambiguous, especially with his scream from the producer's cut laid over it. It could have gone either way, but I always took it as him screaming because Michael Myers escaped his grasp again.

I definitely would have liked to see where they would have gone with the producer's cut ending. Dr. Loomis was going to be a more central character than he had been in the previous sequels.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

I think it's interesting how the Producer's Cut of 6 makes it where some sort of something resembling continuity is possible from Halloween 1 all the way through Resurrection (yes! even including 3!). It's there if you squint reeeeeeally hard..
The Thorn constellation! When it appears....HE APPEARS.

I got a kick out of this...

(06-15-2018, 06:16 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I'm still not certain what is supposed to have happened to Loomis at the end of the theatrical cut of 6. He went back in and Michael killed him (I feel this is most likely no matter how unclear it came across)? He went back in and saw that Michael was gone again and started screaming? It's just absolutely bonkers.
I always thought the implication was just that Loomis was freaking out (again) because Michael was gone.

You'd think he would have been used to that by that point!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
6 also ends with one of the most bullshit, generically 90s songs you could ever hope to run across. It's so bad..
I'll cop to liking that song. It's catchy.

It is an ear worm of a sort, I'll admit.

I think the worst thing in 6 (either version) is that obnoxious radio DJ. He's gotta be one of the most "thank you for killing that asshole" characters ever in a slasher..
Yeah, his character is so grating that it's a joy when he's offed and then placed in a tree. The only character that surpasses him in "Thank you for killing that asshole." regard is Dad Strode. He's such a dick to everyone right from his first scene that his death is so satisfying. More so in the theatrical cut with the reshoot where they made his head blow up.

That leads me to another part that I wonder if I'm remembering incorrectly or if it really makes zero sense.

When dad Strode comes home to find the power out but the sound of the washing machine going leads him to the basement. Is that how that happened? The power is out but the washer is going?

That's it...I think I'm gonna have to watch this tonight..
You're remembering correctly. The power is out and the washing machine is going. All this talk of Halloween 6 has me wanting to watch it as well. It is friday evening. Yeah, I think I'll watch it as well at some point later tonight.

Both of them. I think I'll watch both cuts back to back. That should be interesting. Really get a sense of what's different between the two..
They really are radically different, so it's almost like watching two separate movies. I do get a laugh out of at least one scene that was reshot where one of Dr. Wynn's cult members brains Dr. Loomis with a club. They reshot this single scene to have the character be in a regular doctor's outfit rather than in his cult member outfit. Same with Dr. Wynn.

Then there's more amusing stuff in the theatrical cut that was left in from the producer's cut like that shot of Tommy with the bag of runes (or just a bag of something since they don't explain what he has in the bag!) and him seeing a cult member reflected in a mirror walking away from him.

You should have a good time with that double feature, Fraid.

How was the part 6 viewings Fraid/Rene?

I would kind of like to explain in the new one that the sequels happened in the films reality, like, they changed the names a bit and the plots became so fantastical that Laurie wasn’t required to get residuals. Also it could be used as the device that fueled the brother sister relationship.

Then, when the real Myers breaks out, it’s like “ohhhhh damn..this is the real guy these movies were based off of” but only in a passing scene or two, I don’t need them to be asking themselves how the people in the movies reacted to all this ala Scream.
The Producer's Cut ties all the movies together better but I have to say....the theatrical version is the more entertaining and visceral of the two even if it IS a mess and doesn't make a lick of sense..
I revisited the theatrical cut friday night and the producer's cut yesterday afternoon. I still feel the same as I always have, which is essentially what fraid said. The producer's cut makes sense of things, but the theatrical cut is so much fun that I prefer it to the producer's cut.

There's been people who make hybrid cuts of films and I know that there have been some who take the majority of the producer's cut up to the fade to black when Kara Strode leaps out of the window, and then using that as a "changeover" edit in the remainder of the theatrical cut.

I really would like to see that version. It fills in a lot of gaps while also leaving in the highly entertaining reshot finale.

I also have to say that after fraid brought up the washing machine without power scene, I laughed during the scene in bother versions since Dad Strode himself mentions that the power is out but the washing machine is still going. I guess it was the curse of Thorn that kept it going?

Oy. The finale of the T-Cut is painful for me. It's just stupid 90s music with people nonsensically running around, edited within an inch of its life because it's so damn scared of being boring.

Tommy and Kara running down a hallway with the camera cutting every time the lights go out and pop back on > anything in the theatrical version of Halloween 6.
I keep coming in here hoping that the convo won't still be about one of the worst sequels in the series.
Well Brad, we await your input on the new trailer but we’ve yet to be blessed with it.

Are you happy with the overall tone? What would you change about it?
The new movie looks pretty good.
Yeah, I was doubly confused by him ACKNOWLEDGING the power being out a second time and being puzzled by the washer still going....and the movie STILL gives no explanation. I mean...HUH?!

Just....wow..
It's the curse of Thorn, fraid! In all seriousness, I find it even more hilarious that that bit of nonsense is in BOTH VERSIONS of the film. It really does seem like something they would have crafted just for the theatrical cut. I mean what's one more thing that doesn't make any sense in it?

It actually made more sense to me in the Producer's Cut. That's the one that has magically transferring tattoos..
It’s been so long since I’ve seen the P-cut that I have forgotten some of the smaller differences. The music being changed can make a big difference because the shredding fart rock is pretty awful.

I know that the P-cut also cuts out some of the violence but, some of the kills are so ridiculous it’s almost better to leave it all in.

Over the years I have warmed up more to 6 and even part 5 in a way.

Brad: in all honesty, I’ve missed seeing you around, don’t be too much of a stranger...also, read that F13 script so we can talk about it! ?
The Producer's Cut is SIGNIFICANTLY less violent. I really missed the strobe light OR massacre (how's that for a grindhouse movie title?)
I saw the P-cut (not to be confused with the pee tape) at the now-defunct Cinefamily. The only thing that stood out to me was how baggy everyone's clothes are. Like, the kid's clothes are so huge, I began to wonder if they'd fired the original actor cast in the role and recast the part with a child, but not had enough wardrobe budget to buy a new costume.

Ugh, now I'm talking about this movie.
It won't kill you!

But I think I've got it out of my system now. Don't really know what else to say about it. We've covered it pretty thoroughly..
It would have been great to play up the whole “kill for him Danny” subplot that they eventually dropped like they did with Jamie in part 4. I mean, have him slash the papa Strode or the brother to the point where he goes full evil. Turns silent as if he is now under the “evil” that consumed Michael.