Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SKYSCRAPER (Dwayne Johnson) - Pre-Release Thread
Not in person!

... YET.
(07-15-2018, 07:02 PM)Nooj Wrote: why is that particularly stupid?

Because if he gets the door open he can then go through it before any of the mercenaries can stop him - which is what happens.  Leaving him alone to do the job doesn't make any sense.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
they'll still have his daughter though, right?
Didn't stop him from going through the door, though.
what?

I wasn't under the impression that they cared if he went in there first or not

I think they were safe to assume that he would open it and then immediately contact them to get his daughter back, since that's what he cares about more than anything in the safe.

I mean, not that I find it smart of them to leave him alone to begin with... but I don't find that to be particularly dumber than anything else in the movie.
But, he got in there and immediately started planning with the billionaire guy how they were going to thwart the bad guy! Why would you just leave the Rock there by himself, when he's already shown himself to be resourceful and capable of screwing up your plans? And what were they all doing off in the other room anyway, it's not as if they had anything else to do. It's a ridiculous contrivance which gives the Rock a chance to establish with the billionaire what the heist is all about, and give them time to come up with a plan.
like most villains, they underestimated the guy

also, weren't the all preparing to evacuate a building that was all about to burn up anyway? it also kinda worked out for them regardless of what Johnson's character did. because in the end, he still brought up the guy and macguffin they wanted right to them

because they have his daughter in the end

the whole movie is a ridiculous contrivance!

as I said above... I don't think it's a good or smart contrivance. I just don't think it stands out in its doofy machinations from everything else. Unless that moment just happened to be the final straw for you? I mean... the movie has a key control panel located in the center of a rotating helix blade! Why would it go there?
(07-16-2018, 03:46 AM)Nooj Wrote: like most villains, they underestimated the guy

also, weren't the all preparing to evacuate a building that was all about to burn up anyway?  it also kinda worked out for them regardless of what Johnson's character did.  because in the end, he still brought up the guy and macguffin they wanted right to them

because they have his daughter in the end

the whole movie is a ridiculous contrivance!

as I said above... I don't think it's a good or smart contrivance.  I just don't think it stands out in its doofy machinations from everything else.  Unless that moment just happened to be the final straw for you?  I mean... the movie has a key control panel located in the center of a rotating helix blade!  Why would it go there?

Well, totally agree the secret control panel (found via a public terminal!!) set behind the rotating blades was stupid, but a stupid that sort of fitted in with the nature of the film.  I just had a massive problem with the bad guy and all his henchmen telling the hostage to open this super important door, and then all of them going off somewhere else to presumably smoke cigarettes and laugh evilly at each other for twenty minutes or so.  Sure the guy comes out in the end, but only after he and the Rock put together a plan.  I guess in a movie of ridiculous contrivances, it was the ridiculousest.
This movie might have been good if it had any balls. But it has none at all.

I don’t need a Hans Gruber caliber villain. But I need at least Powers Boothe in Sudden Death. If you can’t even muster that, I can tell you don’t give a shit. So why should I?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I guess it was kind of cool to see Neve Campbell doing far more as Johnson’s wife than I ever expected she would, so there’s that...

Too bad her fight with the Asian Lisbeth Salander was so badly edited though.
For a movie with the logline of "Die Hard in the Towering Inferno," was there ever any scene where Johnson was in the same frame as a fire? It seems like a gimme that there should be a sequence where he has to go through the fire or fight a bad guy in the middle of the fire or something Backdraft-y.
I'm still avian.
there was a lot of fire around him and his family when they finally reunite
(07-17-2018, 04:55 PM)Nooj Wrote: there was a lot of fire around him and his family when they finally reunite

Was it all a green-screen effect?

I don't think they lit up one stuntman in this movie.
I'm still avian.
probably!
Right at the end the Rock is sitting with his his daughter in the middle of fire, when he's given up and waiting to get burned to death.
(07-17-2018, 06:12 PM)Jones Wrote: Right at the end the Rock is sitting with his his daughter in the middle of fire, when he's given up and waiting to get burned to death.

This movie is very unmemorable.

It should've taken a cue from The Mist. "Don't worry, honey, daddy won't let you be burned to death..."
I'm still avian.
Neve Campbell sure is good in this though.
(07-17-2018, 06:33 PM)thecooleravian Wrote: This movie is very unmemorable.
after dozing off for about 75% of RAMPAGE, I think SKYSCRAPER was a marginal improvement!

I also liked Campbell in this.  From the trailer, I figured she and the kids would be in helpless peril the whole time, but I thought the movie did a pretty commendable job in making her capable without coming off totally insincere.
Those Kaiju in RAMPAGE sure killed a lot of people. That Ivanka clone getting swallowed made me smile though.
that must've been in the 75% I slept during!
I got around to seeing Rampage late, since it came out in the middle of my brief period of unemployment. But I liked it okay. It's interesting how it sets up a bunch of characters that work with The Rock at his zoo job and then they all disappear from the movie entirely after Act I.
(07-17-2018, 06:40 PM)Nooj Wrote: after dozing off for about 75% of RAMPAGE, I think SKYSCRAPER was a marginal improvement!

No way.  RAMPAGE was way way more entertaining than this film.  Skyscraper tries for a serious tone that is undermined by how hollow it is.  RAMPAGE is just wall to wall craziness from the start.
(07-17-2018, 07:58 PM)bradito Wrote: I got around to seeing Rampage late, since it came out in the middle of my brief period of unemployment. But I liked it okay. It's interesting how it sets up a bunch of characters that work with The Rock at his zoo job and then they all disappear from the movie entirely after Act I.

I'm hoping this means they all get gruesomely/summarily dispatched, but I have a feeling you mean they stop appearing in the film with no explanation.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(07-17-2018, 09:01 PM)Jones Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 06:40 PM)Nooj Wrote: after dozing off for about 75% of RAMPAGE, I think SKYSCRAPER was a marginal improvement!

No way.  RAMPAGE was way way more entertaining than this film.  Skyscraper tries for a serious tone that is undermined by how hollow it is.  RAMPAGE is just wall to wall craziness from the start.

the 25% I saw at the start and the end sure didn't feel crazy...
(07-17-2018, 09:03 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:58 PM)bradito Wrote: I got around to seeing Rampage late, since it came out in the middle of my brief period of unemployment. But I liked it okay. It's interesting how it sets up a bunch of characters that work with The Rock at his zoo job and then they all disappear from the movie entirely after Act I.

I'm hoping this means they all get gruesomely/summarily dispatched, but I have a feeling you mean they stop appearing in the film with no explanation.

Yeah, they're just written out altogether and the movie kind of starts over.
I thought neither film was all that good. Of the two, I guess I preferred Rampage, but if you asked me to pick one, I’d probably say eh, who cares?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-17-2018, 09:09 PM)Nooj Wrote: the 25% I saw at the start and the end sure didn't feel crazy...

The haunted-house bit on the space station at the start?  The Rock plus grenade launcher vs building-sized crocodile at the end?
OH MAN I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT OPENING

And I did see it. It completely left my mind.

I guess not so crazy.
Had no plans on seeing this, and only bought a ticket because I had nothing to do.

I really, really dug this. Skyscraper is what it is: a Die Hard derivative featuring The Rock. But man, I thought it did it pretty well. Skyscraper does nothing particularly new; every plot point, every action-beat is telegraphed. But this is a rare case when movie-magic does what it's supposed to do, where the lead is likable enough that you give a shit, and the director is competent enough that most of the set pieces are thrilling to watch. I just kind of let myself get swept up through Johnson in full Simoan empathy mode just trying to get his kids back.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.