Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - Post-Release Thread
"Here's some money, go see an Infinity War."

[Image: 5jg7E1U.jpg]
Wednesday at 23:55 for me! Cant wait!
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
There are some great moments but on the whole I thought it was pretty shrug-worthy. I didn’t buy the third act “shocking” stuff at all, and this is pretty easily Marvel’s worst movie since Thor: The Dark World.
Not to just bring up another giant series, but some of the response im hearing about Infitiny war equates to the complaints we got for the last season of GoT. All spectacle. I think it's one of the downfalls of long form story telling is when you get to the series climatic conclusions, a lot of what people loved is pushed aside for the action. Namely the character moments and the escalation.
That's not a bad comparison, though I liked GoT Season 7 more. There's very little character in Infinity War - it's all just plot plot plot, and there are so many characters that the movie has to keep bouncing around the galaxy to show them.

Remember how disjointed Thor's vision quest in Age of Ultron felt? Infinity War is like that for a whole movie.
Daaaaaaaaaaamn. Dropping Dark World on fools. Yum yum!

Any chance of some spoilery "shocking" reveals to save me 15 bucks/3 hours?

Errr I guess probably have to wait till embargo drops? Now I know how Iraq felt!
Maybe we are watching this wrong. Maybe instead of looking at it as a discrete 2.5 hour movie, we should be thinking of it as the last 2.5 hours of one long movie. A 40 hour long movie. With 19 intermissions.

Something like that.
It's not the last of anything. It's as much a Part 1 as Deathly Hallows or Breaking Dawn got. I think a number of people are going to walk out pissed thinking this was the last movie when, surprise, it's just half of it.

I don't expect a single major death that occurs after the first 10 minutes to stick post-Avengers 4.
Except it's only part 1.  So last 5 hours of a long movie.

Edit
Oh, really? So the director or producer who said it isn't a cliffhanger lied?

Seems like an odd thing to lie about. I guess they've done their moviemaker calculus and decided it was worth the risk of a proportion of people walking out annoyed that it doesn't tell a complete story for the sake of not dissuading anyone from coming along to see it because of that.

On a scale of cliffhangeriness with Empire Strikes Back at one end and episode 2 of King of the Rocketmen at the other, where would you say this falls? Is it a cut to black moment or a resolution of a one story but with clear indications that there is another chapter to come in the larger narrative?

(04-24-2018, 05:49 PM)nickp Wrote: Except it's only part 1.  So last 5 hours of a long movie.

My question is, how is something like Punisher or Daredevil going to acknowledge the  Thanos finger snap?

Also, what a waste to the entire theme of Thor 3.  
Saving all the Asgardians... and dead 5 minutes later.

Mate, I think there was a plan not to put any spoilers in the post-release thread, but to put them in a spoiler zone post-release thread that Judas set up.
Ahh... crap. Didn't see that.

I'll edit it out.
The movie counts on you being shocked and horrified by the last 10 minutes. I didn't buy into it, so I just shrugged.
So the one question I have, and feel free to redirect to the super spoiler thread if this is too much, is whether they reveal the title for 4 in the credits of this one or if they’re still holding that back?

Note: I am not asking for the actual title, just whether one was actually given.
Nope.
Spoilers have me a bit confused, and it sounds like there's at least one big plot hole that's bothering me just from reading those.

... The nerd stench must flow.
[Image: tumblr_lu6e4ge9qC1qc5s9to3_250.gif]
There's a giant plot contrivance that is awful.
N/M wrong thread I'm an idiot
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I’m trying to avoid spoilers...just coming in here to ask this question: The only MCU movie I haven’t seen is Guardians 2...should I find the time to watch it before Infinity War? In other words, is there anything in Guardians 2 that’s critical to understanding certain elements of Infinity War? (Simple yes or no will do!
If you recommend, I’ll find the time to watch G2 before this weekend. Thanks in advance!)
You should see Guardians 2 on general principle. It is delightful movie.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
It’s not vital, but the major beats are referenced. If you don’t watch it first it’ll be spoiled for you.
It's not vital but you should.
I just got back from my screening and I thought it was solid.

Things you would never have known you wanted were in there, those multitudes of clips when it put in context still have surprises with the adjacent footage. I'll have to see it again someday as I unavoidably missed some dialogue as the audience was laughing so much. Don't worry, it doesn't go anywhere near full Thor: Ragnarok. It's got comedic elements in there on occasion but it's not comic farce.

Best Marvel villain ever, even more than Killmonger as they had even more time to flesh out his character and make it multi-faceted. Sure, it had to criss-cross between a lot of characters and settings but I think it managed to do about as well as it could with was undoubtedly a laundry list of things they had to do.

At the moment, I think it might just edge out Black Panther to give me this to give me my current Marvel Top 5:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. The Avengers
4. Avengers: Infinity War
5. Black Panther

As I said, solid movie:

3/5
Just got back. Damn, that was a hell of an experience. Too much to process right now (and it's time to take thew dog down to the beach for his swim), but it's amazing how much they nailed the look of characters like Corvus Glaive, so many characters get their due if you're one of the comic fans that complain about their power5s being nerfed in the films, and Mantis is just fucking adorable at any given moment.
Since we know they filmed 3 and 4 back-toback, figuring out how this was going to end pretty much came down to whereabouts in the story they were gonna bug out and save the rest for later. I think what they did worked as there was a prettymuch stunned silence at my showing (along with several people sobbing, believe it or not). Too much goes down that you just KNOW they're gonna have to do the deux ex machina from the comic storyline to undo some of it, and that's gonna further fuel the "there's never any stakes!" crowd . . . but the feeling you get walking out of this one certainly feels heavy for the moment.

Post-credits scene got surprisingly audible "Fuck yeah!" out of me. I'm not usually that guy.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(04-24-2018, 05:56 PM)jhp1608 Wrote: Mate, I think there was a plan not to put any spoilers in the post-release thread, but to put them in a spoiler zone post-release thread that Judas set up.

Yes, best behaviour everyone, we've already suffered enough losses recently due to our disagreements over some issues which really could have been avoided, I'm sure. 

Don't just take it from me but from someone I know we all look up to.

[Image: Infinit-Bore-small.jpg]
Guys, it’s dumb to have two post-release threads. If you don’t want to risk spoilers, stay out.

Also, the difference between ‘stunned silence’ and ‘the audience didn’t react’ always seems to come down to what the poster thought of the movie.
(04-25-2018, 12:03 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Guys, it’s dumb to have two post-release threads. If you don’t want to risk spoilers, stay out.

Also, the difference between ‘stunned silence’ and ‘the audience didn’t react’ always seems to come down to what the poster thought of the movie.

In my defence, I checked really carefully before starting one and as far as I could tell at the time, there wasn't one; also I only did so because I really wanted to share a picture of my ticket given the jump we and Vietnam had due to coincidentally located public holidays.

Given I've started a grand total of six threads in almost ten years and these included such luminary classics as Skyline, Tron: Legacy, Jason Bourne, and Ghost in the Shell, I think I have a strong case for not being a glory hound here.
(04-25-2018, 12:03 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Also, the difference between ‘stunned silence’ and ‘the audience didn’t react’ always seems to come down to what the poster thought of the movie.

Without going into detail about the energy before and after as well as overhearing discussions on the way out, I guess you'll just have to trust me on that one.
Can't speak for EVERY screening, of course.
I have no issue closing the other thread. I made it not realizing that this one existed.
(04-25-2018, 12:13 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I have no issue closing the other thread.  I made it not realizing that this one existed.

No, leave it, it's fine. If someone has something they really want to go into in depth, it's the perfect place to put it as a lot of countries don't get the film on wide release for a couple more days at least when you factor in the time zones which is several eternities in Internet time.
More importantly . . . was that the same actor playing that character? You know which one
Apparently not.
(04-25-2018, 12:18 AM)shan Wrote: Apparently not.

"Evidently not" would have been better.  The voice was quite different, but the prosthetics were bang on.
(04-25-2018, 12:18 AM)the nz natural Wrote: More importantly . . . was that the same actor playing that character? You know which one

(04-25-2018, 12:27 AM)the nz natural Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:18 AM)shan Wrote: Apparently not.

"Evidently not" would have been better.  The voice was quite different, but the prosthetics were bang on.

Well, that's the thing, the appearance *was* spot on (sure there's always some CGI enhancement these days) but the voice was well different and I kept a close eye on the credits and remember thinking "That's now how he spelled his name at school!". So, putting all that together ...
That character was CGI. I thought the voice was quite close, but definitely a recast.

Again, this is the post-release thread. If someone doesn’t get the film for a couple days and doesn’t want to be spoiled, they shouldn’t be in here.