Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - Post-Release Thread
After this I'm glad that Ragnarok wasn't a misery fest. If it had been, then the refugees all got wiped out, it would have been too much.

Also led to the continuation of the Rocket eye obsession gag. That and "I'm getting that arm" was great.

Peter's "I don't want to go.." was heart rending.

I completely bought the Thanos Gamora stuff. A) it's very tightly bound to the real world complexities of abuser/abused relationships and b) I completely bought Brolin's Thanos. There was a depth of absolute belief that what he was doing was got the best and grief over what he had to sacrifice that sold it for me. He did a fucking great job.
(04-28-2018, 02:46 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Damn, I knew the voice at the beginning making the Asgardian SOS broadcast was familiar, but it was Branagh? That's nifty.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-wa...ign=CBR-TW

That's fun. I'll have to listen closely on when I see it again.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
When Strange sees all the different permutations of the future - Does he just see it or does he experience it like in the Dormammu scene in his first movie?
Sunset with a long nose.....
(04-28-2018, 12:12 PM)shaunh Wrote: You guys are dead on about Strange. I’m rewatching his movie now. I can’t get enough of the wacky ideas behind the magic and how confident he is in the face of such insurmountable odds. I should probably seek out some of his books.

I hated his movie, it's just so fucking dull, and their version of basically everything magic related is so boring compared to what's on the page in stuff like the Steve Ditko comics. It's big spectacle sucked of any wonder 

But with this and his tiny bit in the Thor movie I'm really starting to like this version of the character who I couldn't have give a shit about in the MCU after his first movie. 

Although I'm not wild about how boringly they're still presenting him here, at least when it comes to what he can do. Pretty much just having him making magic whips is maybe one of the most boring things they could've done with him powers-wise. I don't think I'll ever get used to how stupid they've made his cape look in these movies either. It's not quite his old (in the comics) little collar, and it sure as hell isn't his high collar which is the look he's had the longest, it's just this weird thick looking collar that's somewhere inbetween where it should be and it's distracting with how bad it looks every time I see it.

(04-28-2018, 05:10 PM)eddie5 Wrote: When Strange sees all the different permutations of the future - Does he just see it or does he experience it like in the Dormammu scene in his first movie?

I'd guess he's just seeing it. The Dormammu thing was him actually living that over and over, so if it was that he would've already beaten Thanos.
(04-28-2018, 03:25 PM)Teitr Styrr Wrote: Mantis. From the get go, when Starlord tells everyone to get their scary faces on, she she does one and it was just hilarious. And, of course "Kicking names...and taking ass." Strong second among the Guardians is Drax, (An hour) but I did realize that he and Mantis both have this literal thingy going on, but it doesn't appear to be too much to me yet.

So glad to see Mantis get some love.  She was an absolute highlight for me - from her mean face (and holding it through that entire scene while she's just out of focus over Peter's shoulder), "kick names, take ass", "You did it again just now!" and her joyful trampolining in the background when they're on Titan . . . then to show exactly how powerful a member of the team she is when needed.  She's an absolute delight.

And fuck me - Drax was amazing.  That whole "practicially invisible" bit would have never worked in so many other people's hands.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Wish Mantis was still a martial artist master like in the comics.
I also liked how formidable they made The Black Order. Maw especially.
GINYU FORCE!!!
"You must be popular with children."
(04-28-2018, 06:15 PM)Felix Wrote: I also liked how formidable they made The Black Order. Maw especially.

Ended up being kind of surprised The Black Order, or at least Maw, ended up being pretty fun. In one movie this feels like it's done a better job establishing a group of villains across multiple character in a big weird space story than the new Star Wars movies. 

Kind of wish they'd replaced the big Black Order guy (who has no personality, and isn't the most interesting of designs) with Champion of the Universe. I'm not really sure Champion of the Universe is someone we'll really see in the MCU, and he's the best of the Elders of the Universe characters. He could have brought an interesting dynamic (and better design) if he was the big guy of the group.

Guessing Quasar shows up in the next movie. Wonder if the original Guardians of the Galaxy that showed up in GotG Vol.2 will show up in the next movie?

(04-28-2018, 06:47 PM)Nooj Wrote: GINYU FORCE!!!

They need a group Sentai pose.
I liked the big guy! He had a grappling hook! He got dumped in the Arctic! He got a robot hand!

He was less of a threat to individual superheroes who could outwit or out manoeuvre him. But you could see how much damage he’d do to a general army when Thanos was invading a world.

He also reminded me a bit of Mr Wink from Hellboy 2.
PSN: Kriegaffe
"It smells like a new car in here!"
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I hate hate the tech they are using in Spidey's suits. Seems like a cheat.

Prefer a Peter that uses his wits and determination to overcome obstacles.
(04-28-2018, 07:06 PM)kriegaffe Wrote: I liked the big guy! He had a grappling hook! He got dumped in the Arctic! He got a robot hand!

He was less of a threat to individual superheroes who could outwit or out manoeuvre him. But you could see how much damage he’d do to a general army when Thanos was invading a world.

He also reminded me a bit of Mr Wink from Hellboy 2.

I'd say Mr. Wink is a more memorable character despite being less important conceptually to the events of the movie he's in...better design too. The big Black Order guy, whose nothing more than a visual, just reminds me of a half remembered Korg from Thor Ragnarök; he's not rocks but he's got rocky scaly skill, they've both got that shoulder pad on one arm, and they've both got spiky heads.

It just feels like a missed opportunity to have Champion of the Universe there. He's also a big guy, bigger I think. He's got a design that's not like anyone that's shown up in any of these MCU movies before, and the comic character has this great ultimate fighter personality that would've been interesting to have here as opposed to the no personality the big guy here has. Other than that everything they did here with the big guy they could have done with anyone, because the big guy isn't really a character, he's just someone that punches, gets thrown, and falls into a hole.

[Image: 141309-55203-champion.jpg]

He's also the basis for Rasslor in that one Dexter's Laboratory Dial M for Monkey episode.
Shaun Alexander is that Scottish Youtube personality who I mentioned earlier.  His video tour of Edinburgh locations seen in the movie is up.  Nothing earth shattering here, but I just get a kick out of his enthusiasm.

(04-28-2018, 07:57 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: It seems across the board every character in the movies that doesn’t usually have tech has gotten an upgrade. It started with Black Widow who has never really had gadgets in the comics, then Falcon with his goggles and drone, and even Cap had a magnetic gauntlet for his shield in Age of Ultron that he only used once.

Black Widow has always had some tech. Well the original mystic '40s works for Satan one I don't think did, but the '60s Russian spy one always has. And the magnetic gauntlet is something Cap had in Kerby comics, so it goes back a ways. With Falcon it's just they were never gonna give him his actual falcon. Although Falcon the Falconer could have been great on film. We could have had an animal sidekick. A normal animal sidekick.
I can forgive the new Spider-Man suit, given the threat, and fully expect him to revert to the old one in his own sequel.
The old one had too many gadgets as well.

Surprised Tony made it out of this one alive. They practically gave him a "Three days to retirement" speech.
(04-28-2018, 07:54 PM)Felix Wrote: I hate hate the tech they are using in Spidey's suits. Seems like a cheat.

Prefer a Peter that uses his wits and determination to overcome obstacles.

I don't mind the tech, (it doesn't seem to do much here beside let him not die in space) but I'm not liking the look of his Iron Spidey suit. It's like a Ben Reilly Spider-Man suit with too much business going on. If they were wanting to put gold in it because of Iron Man they should have just went with the comic book Iron Spider suits color scheme with that Ben Reilly suit.
"I liked that you copied my beard."

Put me in the camp that liked Dinklage' saying ,"That's... what... killed means."
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Second viewing today. No fall off in my overall opinion, beyond everything seeming to run smoother. I'm amazed this works as well as it does, given it's a full on "Graphic Novel Event" on screen.
(04-28-2018, 08:06 PM)Reasor Wrote: Shaun Alexander is that Scottish Youtube personality who I mentioned earlier.  His video tour of Edinburgh locations seen in the movie is up.  Nothing earth shattering here, but I just get a kick out of his enthusiasm.

The simple sign "we will deep fry your kebab" got the single biggest laugh out of me in the entire movie.

Was great to see my old stomping ground in an Avengers movie.
I'd like to send a little praise Alan Silvestri's way for his score.  This cue, in particular, which accompanies Gamora's death, is absolutely terrific.

really? tears?
(04-28-2018, 08:01 PM)simbob Wrote: It just feels like a missed opportunity to have Champion of the Universe there. He's also a big guy, bigger I think. He's got a design that's not like anyone that's shown up in any of these MCU movies before, and the comic character has this great ultimate fighter personality that would've been interesting to have here as opposed to the no personality the big guy here has.

Except Champion is an immortal Elder of the Universe and would never be a henchman to Thanos.

Plus he first appeared in Marvel Two-In-One, which is technically a Thing comic and so might be tied up with the FF rights.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Just curious but what trailers did they play before your screening?

I only had SOLO. Not much of a reaction though they recognized Emilia Clarke.
(04-28-2018, 02:02 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Another little touch I loved: Cap and Black Panther running together, way ahead of the rest of the army, during the last battle.

I had a good laugh at that

it almost looked like they were racing each other
(04-28-2018, 10:13 PM)Felix Wrote: Just curious but what trailers did they play before your screening?

JURASSIC WORLD, SOLO, ADRIFT, KIN, and INCREDIBLES 2.
Anyone else here get the idea that the film is structured as a comic book miniseries? I could clearly see where each "issue" ended. Liked that a lot.
It definitely has a very "chapter" feel to it that adds to the overall comic book feel of it.
especially whenever it went to a Guardians segment
(04-28-2018, 10:13 PM)Felix Wrote: Just curious but what trailers did they play before your screening?

Kin, MI: Fallout, Deadpool 2, Solo, Ocean's 8, Jurassic World and Incredibles 2.  Biggest reaction was DP followed by Incredibles.  Ocean's 8 was met with complete silence.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Still processing, but overall it's quite an achievement to juggle this many characters plus our first full-fleshed experience with the big bad (which absolutely HAD to work for this film to hang together... if they had miscast or misplayed Thanos, this falls flatter than a pancake).

Besides the inevitable bit of drag in the middle, and the complete and inexplicable absence of Hawkeye, the only other real negative I had was unfortunately a negative reaction to how they chose to divide things up at the very end:

Thanos' entire plan was for 1 out of every 2 beings in the Universe to die. And he very explicitly explains how it would be impartial, fair, and random.

And yet every single original Avenger lives.

Cap. Stark. Hulk. Widow. Thor.

Our second tier/newer heroes were all on the chopping block.

For a film that at times went to lengths to impress upon us that this is a BIG DEAL GUYS and the BAD GUYS WON!!!!... leaving our original heroes all intact to fight another day is a HUGE pulled punch. And given we KNOW they're going to have to fix things somehow (for Spidey if no one else, because c'mon, they didn't just kill Spidey for good), why not take out one of the godfathers of the series to drive home how fucked this is?

I went into this film completely expecting Cap, or Tony, or Widow, or a combo of all three were going to bite it. With the understanding that Strange would probably find a way to timey-wimey their way out of it in the sequel. Leaving all of the original lineup on the field is a really strange choice to me, and unfortunately colors my enjoyment of the ending.
Just realized that except MI: Fallout i don't care for any of the Summer films this year.
(04-28-2018, 10:54 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:

Kin, MI: Fallout, Deadpool 2, Solo, Ocean's 8, Jurassic World and Incredibles 2.  Biggest reaction was DP followed by Incredibles.  Ocean's 8 was met with complete silence.

We had Blue World Order.

You may be thinking (as I was) what the hell is that? It turns out it's a crazy bad looking sci-fi film which has apparently been shot around the Australian capital of Canberrra (also my current city of residence). It stars Billy Zane with Bruce Spence and Jack Thompson.

PSN: Kriegaffe