Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - Post-Release Thread
Just on the off chance anyone's interested and/or might find this amusing, when I went to photograph my ticket, I needed something to weigh it down because the paper can curl depending on the type of ticket printer, as you know.

In all honesty, this was the first thing at hand I happened to grab but even though it's appropriate (and I thought even more so after seeing the movie), I put it back and went with the other thing because I thought it was a *bit* on the nose.

However, I did recreate it here (also just as well I didn't go with this because I obviously still need to learn how to handle landscape versus portrait).

[Image: 72R6jF9.jpg]
Not since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice have I been so emotionally effected by character deaths that are definitely permanent with zero percent chance any of them are coming back.
PS: Original post edited spoilers out but it's still quoted in the reply as of now just FYI if you think it needs editing out.

(04-24-2018, 05:56 PM)jhp1608 Wrote: Oh, really? So the director or producer who said it isn't a cliffhanger lied?

Seems like an odd thing to lie about. I guess they've done their moviemaker calculus and decided it was worth the risk of a proportion of people walking out annoyed that it doesn't tell a complete story for the sake of not dissuading anyone from coming along to see it because of that.

On a scale of cliffhangeriness with Empire Strikes Back at one end and episode 2 of King of the Rocketmen at the other, where would you say this falls? Is it a cut to black moment or a resolution of a one story but with clear indications that there is another chapter to come in the larger narrative?

(04-24-2018, 05:49 PM)nickp Wrote: Except it's only part 1.  So last 5 hours of a long movie.

My question is, how is something like ****** or ****** going to acknowledge the ******?

Also, what ****** to the ****** of ******.  
****** the ****** and ******.

Mate, I think there was a plan not to put any spoilers in the post-release thread, but to put them in a spoiler zone post-release thread that Judas set up.

I will say there was another moment in here that demonstrated just how tone deaf modern audiences are and that was Quill pulling the trigger/bubbles. At least half my audience laughed their asses off at it - it was Logan beating up the truck with the shovel all over again. People really don't understand what they're watching most of the time.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.

(04-25-2018, 01:05 AM)atomtastic Wrote: Not since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice have I been so emotionally effected by character deaths that are definitely permanent with zero percent chance any of them are coming back.

On the subject of cliffhanger reactions, the first film I ever remember seeing in my life (both in the cinema and ever) was The Empire Strikes Back. I still to this day remember thinking "They can do that?" when Han Solo, you know, went on that trip at the end in sub-cattle class. I also remember wondering if they were going to continue the story so we'd find out what happened to him (remember, I was very, very *very* young).

Since then, I've seen a few things (including Return of the Jedi) but remember, not everyone's as genre immersed as we are to our varying degrees.

Sure, overall people would be relatively more familiar with the walking back principle in general but even then, that's still not everyone and there was definitely an audible reaction to the end of this film in my cinema. A bit more specifically to the Empire Strikes Back style ending, relatively more people but still a lot of people wouldn't expect such an ending.

(Now to complete that circle, the moment I identified the second of our surprisingly only two trailers was for Solo, I immediately dashed for the bathroom and luckily got back just before the film started.)

As for us, given to varying degrees what we know plus familiarity with the source material, surely we had some suspicion there was going to be a chance it was going to play out that way. Some of you even posted so as to the possibility.

Now, here's the thing, even for those of us less or not surprised compared to the average moviegoer, I think there might be a surprise hidden in the not surprise and I think it all comes back to Doctor Strange IMO.

Here's my theory (coming up below if you want to skip it).

Remember, he said "One." 

and for "One" to happen, there had to be a particular sequence to happen and no other.

So, that's why he did what he did and he gave away what he gave up in the end and that's why we had to have the ending we had.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens around this time next year when we get what could in effect be Part 2.

After all, I don't think any of us seriously doubted there wouldn't be both a cliffhanger (after all, The Winter Soldier and Civil War are basically Part 1 and Part 2 of a story when you think about it - so there's form from this creative team) as well as people less to not prominent in this film wouldn't be stepping up for the next one ... which will bring me to discussing that Final Image.

Or more accurately around it.
Of course. Was there ever any doubt that Strange giving up the time stone was the “one”?
(04-25-2018, 04:03 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Of course. Was there ever any doubt that Strange giving up the time stone was the “one”?

It wasn't so much doubt as sliding it past the audience by having it come up once and then moving onto other big flashbangs. Sure, it might have been a blazing neon sign to some of us but not everyone goes in that deep.

Anyway, I know I'm not so smart because the very final image on screen had me going, OK ... I should know exactly what that is and yet I don't. Luckily people talking about it right behind me as I was leaving the cinema knew what it meant and then I'm like "Oh, right, of course."
I know what scene you are talking about but all this half assed discussion because we can't actually talk about the film is making my head hurt. Maybe we should make a 5th thread "Infinity War Mad Libs"?
Assuming Judas Booth didn't lock this one, we could possible use this thread he created for talking about high level detail.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=160243

I wouldn't be doing anything different for now in this thread anyway because I know I'm ahead of the US by a few days and I always try to be circumspect until I know it's most likely safe.

One last thing I would like to obliquely bring up now, that ending in a different context/film was real horror movie stuff. I've seen other films start with that and given the sheer suddenness and arbitrariness, it could be seen as quite horrifying.

I admit it probably tips its hands a bit too much for us who are even a bit au fait with the upcoming schedule (and generally how these things work) and hence giving away it has to be walked back quite a lot precisely because it's such a bloodbath.

Now it was a public holiday this Wednesday in Australia on the 25th of April, hence that's probably why the even earlier opening. Sadly that reason was because of a lot of lives lost in World War I. For those of you who didn't already know, it was what we call Anzac Day and it originally commemorated the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and their actions at Gallipoli, now in modern day Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

It was also the case for Vietnam but for other reasons. Some potentially interesting trivia:

The 25th of April in Vietnam is the "Death Anniversary of the Hung Kings".

"The official name of the festival is 'Death Anniversary of the Hung Kings'. However the date does not mark the death of any specific Hung King but honours their contribution to Vietnam as the traditional founders of the nation and the first emperors."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hùng_Kings%27_Festival
This. Is. The. Post-Release. Thread. We’re not making super post-release threads for movies that open 3 days later in the U.S. Why is this hard? If you want to talk about something that’s a spoiler, do so freely. Otherwise this thread has no reason to exist.

SPOILERS FOR YOU FUCKERS WHO SHOULDN’T BE HERE

when Black Panther got Jean Grey’d? I actively rolled my eyes at how openly Marvel was trolling me.
One question, and I know that I'm probably spoiling something (and I don't care on this particular point): is the 'Where's Hawkeye?' question answered?
(04-25-2018, 06:26 AM)nickp Wrote: I know what scene you are talking about but all this half assed discussion because we can't actually talk about the film is making my head hurt. Maybe we should make a 5th thread "Infinity War Mad Libs"?

(04-25-2018, 12:11 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: This. Is. The. Post-Release. Thread. We’re not making super post-release threads for movies that open 3 days later in the U.S. Why is this hard? If you want to talk about something that’s a spoiler, do so freely. Otherwise this thread has no reason to exist.

when Black Panther got Jean Grey’d? I actively rolled my eyes at how openly Marvel was trolling me.

Some us like, you know, talking in, like code you know, makes us feel like we're a member of a special club of those people who know something, you know, and are all but totally indecipherable to those who don't yet know, you know?

I mean, we can't all be industry insiders, you know? Some of us have to make do with just being Australian.

On that note ...

I don't remember Black Panther ending up in a love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine? You sure the assembly cut you saw wasn't changed a bit for wider release to us plebs?

(Sounds like that Disney/Fox deal might be further along that I thought!)
(04-25-2018, 12:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: One question, and I know that I'm probably spoiling something (and I don't care on this particular point): is the 'Where's Hawkeye?' question answered?

Yes.  Sort of
(04-25-2018, 08:02 PM)nickp Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: One question, and I know that I'm probably spoiling something (and I don't care on this particular point): is the 'Where's Hawkeye?' question answered?

Yes.  Sort of

Once again, using Hawkeye as a distraction allows Ant-Man to slip by unnoticed continuing a run of success with that strategy since Civil War. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone ask about him.
(04-25-2018, 12:26 PM)shan Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 06:26 AM)nickp Wrote: I know what scene you are talking about but all this half assed discussion because we can't actually talk about the film is making my head hurt. Maybe we should make a 5th thread "Infinity War Mad Libs"?

(04-25-2018, 12:11 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: This. Is. The. Post-Release. Thread. We’re not making super post-release threads for movies that open 3 days later in the U.S. Why is this hard? If you want to talk about something that’s a spoiler, do so freely. Otherwise this thread has no reason to exist.

Some us like, you know, talking in, like code you know, makes us feel like we're a member of a special club of those people who know something, you know, and are all but totally indecipherable to those who don't yet know, you know?

I mean, we can't all be industry insiders, you know? Some of us have to make do with just being Australian.

On that note ...

I don't remember Black Panther ending up in a love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine? You sure the assembly cut you saw wasn't changed a bit for wider release to us plebs?

Yes, that assembly cut I saw a whole seven hours before it opened in your country.

The heroes pointlessly turning to sand looked identical to Jean Grey deatomizing people. Caught up yet, or do you want to whine some more?
(04-25-2018, 08:49 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:26 PM)shan Wrote:

On that note ...

Yes, that assembly cut I saw a whole seven hours before it opened in your country.

The heroes pointlessly turning to sand looked identical to Jean Grey deatomizing people. Caught up yet, or do you want to whine some more?

OK, OK Time Out.

I'm even not remotely serious, I've never been remotely serious, I am joking. I thought that was painfully obvious (as were probably the jokes, I guess). Sure, probably not very good jokes but I'm definitely not whining because I don't care about any of this (and especially not to the level where people have even upped and left and the resulting arguments about that).

I'm just naturally cautious because I don't want to spoil some of my best experiences from seeing a film for someone else (I luckily avoided ruining Fight Club for someone in the last year or two with that approach). But yes, it is the Post-Release Thread, say what you want because that's what it is, I certainly never said you shouldn't, just that I won't be joining you to such a degree just yet.

To add, I think it's really cool that someone here gets to see industry previews and the like, it's quite a privilege I could imagine. And that's my thoughts on that matter that matter at all. (edit: ok, one more thought - Haven't you like already seen an assembly cut of Deadpool 2 like weeks back? Definitely just a bit jealous about that).

Anyway, moving on ...

I thought the disintegrations when looked at a global level and the fact it was happening everywhere and seemingly arbitrarily as to who it was happening to and there was awareness of it with the victims even if for a brief moment started to border horror movie territory a bit. It didn't go as far as if it was a different setting because, still superhero movie. I was thinking a lot more of the implications (and maybe even some body horror throw in) than the actual effect itself.

Didn't think of X-Men 3 at all at the time but then no-one should think of that movie. Like ever.
(Note: I haven't seen the film yet)

Given that comic books and comic book films (not to mention the Infinity Gauntlet series itself) have already established that characters can be killed and brought back to life without breaking a sweat, it's kind of interesting how the meta-narrative of certain actors' contracts ending might actually add some real sense of finality to certain characters getting killed. Seeing a Black Panther or Doctor Strange get unceremoniously vaporized would feel very different than seeing it done to Captain America if it happened to be the final film on Evan's contract.
(04-25-2018, 10:23 PM)hughj Wrote: (Note: I haven't seen the film yet)

Given that comic books and comic book films (not to mention the Infinity Gauntlet series itself) have already established that characters can be killed and brought back to life without breaking a sweat, it's kind of interesting how the meta-narrative of certain actors' contracts ending might actually add some real sense of finality to certain characters getting killed. Seeing a Black Panther or Doctor Strange get unceremoniously vaporized would feel very different than seeing it done to Captain America if it happened to be the final film on Evan's contract.

"Here’s Who Dies In ‘Avengers: Infinity War,’ According To Psychics"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/her...e33c893303

Don't click the link until after you've seen the film. I showcase this here as I was impressed at how wrong they were, it was literally a near perfect anti-deadpool (they finally land a couple of correct answers towards the end). You really have to work really hard to be this wrong.

To add to the Hawkeye (and Ant-Man) question with a more definitive answer, IMO in the same way that you could look at Civil War and Thor 3 as complementing each other (just about anyone missing from one was in the other), it looks like anyone missing from this will be in Ant-Man and the Wasp (except most likely that final shot in this film - that's going to be dealt with elsewhere).

There's a perfectly logical reason for how Ant-Man and Hawkeye are dealt with in this film, they even cover it in the Ant-Man sequel trailer.

I think it's looking increasingly likely that the actual big bang convergence of everyone who is anyone is going to be the film to follow this one. Are we going to call it Infinity War Part 2 until we get an official name for it?
(04-25-2018, 08:49 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Caught up yet, or do you want to whine some more?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Loved it; it goes full comic book movie, ends in a cliffhanger that screams "Find out in next month's issue" and hits the perfect notes of action, humor and melodrama.
And kudos to Marvel/Disney for having the balls to play the long game with this and The Last Jedi; about time a new generation knew what the wait after Empire Strikes Back felt like.
Loved the surprise character and the subversion of Dinklage's character, Thanos was fantastic and loved that the Black Order were effective henchmen, but henchmen all the same.
And no matter what, the post credits scene is one hell of a hype shout for what's next.
It will be divisive, no doubt, but I had fun, was emotionally invested and can't wait for seeing how it all ends.
Do i feel upset that we all know some of the things happening here might probably be undone in a year's time? Nope; i've seen Superman die, Batman get crippled, and half of the MU have been brought back twice or thrive from the dead; even Jason Todd and Bucky, who everyone said should never be resurrected, were brought back and became amazing characters and part of great stories.
Sure, death is cheap in comic books and in comic book movies, but I don't care if the story those deaths and resurrections is engaging and smart.
The MCU has more than earned the right to go full onscreen comic book here, and i'm invested in how they will play this out.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
It will be interesting to see if normies are as cool with cheap deaths as nerds are. I read that Superman coming back legit seemed to piss people off. Now if that is because their speculation of comic books crashed is another story but it is lame story device. As much as anyone with a functioning brain knows Marvel isn't killing off their billion dollar black man after one outing, does that make it any less of a lazy move? Or people could just love the movie and not give a shit I suppose.

I like The Avengers style of bringing comics to screen. It was fun and awesome to see them all together in a legit kick ass movie. Infinity War seems to be introducing some of the more annoying stuff from comics into mainstream story telling so it will be interesting if their are long term ramifications.
(04-26-2018, 03:16 AM)Munson Wrote: It will be interesting to see if normies are as cool with cheap deaths as nerds are. I read that Superman coming back legit seemed to piss people off.
REALLY?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(04-26-2018, 03:16 AM)Munson Wrote: It will be interesting to see if normies are as cool with cheap deaths as nerds are. 

While most of the reviews fall into the positive category, there is definitely a sizable contingent of negative reviews so far (twenty plus on RT) and I'd say with many of them, this seems to play a factor. Chaw's review over at Film Freak gives it 2 out of 4 and while he admires the actors and characters here, he laments that it's never been more apparent that they're just cogs in the franchise machinery. Film Pulse says, "Infinity War changes everything... maybe," and then gives the film 6 out of 10. For others it's clear that because they don't trust the film's emotional stakes, the spectacle just becomes exhausting. 

Washington City Paper: "If the Marvel Cinematic Universe aims to reshape popular entertainment, it needs to move beyond climax after climax with unremarkable, repetitive violence."

The AV Club: "Infinity War inherits plenty of the problems endemic to crossovers: the privileging of quantity over quality, of spectacle over story, and of the shock value of major changes to the status quo over just about everything else."

The New York Times: "The noisy, bloated spectacles of combat were surely the most expensive parts of the movie, but the money seems less like an imaginative tool than a substitute for genuine imagination."

sidenote: virtually every critic I trust has called out the movie for being highly overstuffed and lacking pacing and rhythm (though a few of them still ended up liking the movie overall), which has always been my reservation with this film. I mean, the first Avengers was right on the border of being overstuffed for me, despite the remarkable juggling act from Whedon. I can only imagine with this film and all the characters it adds and everything it is trying to do in playing on and paying off a decade's worth of storytelling. well, at least in being the first half of a two-parter that tries to do all that.
the empire never ended
I'm really curious to see how the general audience will react. If anyone watched Walking Dead (don't), one of the last season's was being built up to an event and it ended on a cliffhanger. Let's just say people were less than happy.

Also, The deaths aren't going to feel real until after part 2 ends. We've seen Marvel do this before. Loki dead... then alive.. then dead... alive.
Coulson is alive after being dead. Nick Furry faked his death. Bucky isn't dead. Looks like Pyms wife isn't dead. Pepper fell to her death but was fine.

I'm starting to think Korg was making an observation on Marvel Films when Miek was dead... then suddenly alive again.
The opening scene does a real good job of setting up Thanos as a credible threat.

From there on it's mostly a very fast paced ride between action scenes and exposition. It's a lot of fun, but I can't say it really stays with you a day later. It's a bit lacking in truly jawdropping moments.

That said, I'm very impressed by how well all the characters are juggled. Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy in particular are a very good combination. Thor in fact is the one Avenger who gets most of a story line here. Cap and Team Wakanda really don't get much to do.

I like how it ends and I'm quite looking forward to how they will continue. I hope it'll be a Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 situation where the sequel gets some more time to breathe and delve into the characters a bit more.
The best thing the sequel can do is have it be the OG Avengers, and the "dead" ones don't come back until... let's face it... Steve sacrafices himself to bring them back and kill Thanos.
Unsurprisingly, I thought that was fucking awesome.

Yeah you can complain about stakes cause obviously most of that will be undone because hey we know the release schedules for the next 2 years. But when you've spent 10 years getting invested in all these characters seeing them go through THAT, I can't help but me emotionally affected like that. I mean, Jesus THAT scene with Peter. Yeah I KNOW Spider-Man 2's in fucking pre-production but it's played so expertly I can't help that it hits me like a ton of bricks. This is serialized storytelling to me. You never tune in to see IF the heroes win. You watch to see HOW the heroes win. And I'm totally invested in that.

Seeing everyone play off of each other in such unexpected ways was just delightful and what I'll mostly be coming back for.

And it must be said...holy shit Brolin was just FANTASTIC as Thanos. He's the greatest success in the whole movie and might well end up as one of my favourite comic book movie villains of all time. So well written and realized that the way he feels both utterly dangerous and yet strangely compassionate.

This also had one of my absolute favourite crowds ever. Absolute packed house and everyone was so into it. Cheers erupting when Thor, Rabbit and Tree show up. And everyone went dead quiet at...the moment. I've also never seen this many people stay for the post-credits scene in any of these movies. At one point they switched the lights on and a riot almost broke out. So great.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(04-26-2018, 06:09 PM)Codename Wrote: Unsurprisingly, I thought that was fucking awesome.

Yeah you can complain about stakes cause obviously most of that will be undone because hey we know the release schedules for the next 2 years. But when you've spent 10 years getting invested in all these characters seeing them go through THAT, I can't help but me emotionally affected like that. I mean, Jesus THAT scene with Peter. Yeah I KNOW Spider-Man 2's in fucking pre-production but it's played so expertly I can't help that it hits me like a ton of bricks. This is serialized storytelling to me. You never tune in to see IF the heroes win. You watch to see HOW the heroes win. And I'm totally invested in that.

Seeing everyone play off of each other in such unexpected ways was just delightful and what I'll mostly be coming back for.

And it must be said...holy shit Brolin was just FANTASTIC as Thanos. He's the greatest success in the whole movie and might well end up as one of my favourite comic book movie villains of all time. So well written and realized that the way he feels both utterly dangerous and yet strangely compassionate.

This also had one of my absolute favourite crowds ever. Absolute packed house and everyone was so into it. Cheers erupting when Thor, Rabbit and Tree show up. And everyone went dead quiet at...the moment. I've also never seen this many people stay for the post-credits scene in any of these movies. At one point they switched the lights on and a riot almost broke out. So great.

GOOD!

Now, about your updated MCU rankings ...
Can't wait for the rankings.

Hint. No one cares.
(04-26-2018, 11:43 AM)nickp Wrote: The best thing the sequel can do is have it be the OG Avengers, and the "dead" ones don't come back until... let's face it... Steve sacrafices himself to bring them back and kill Thanos.

I have a nasty feeling Tony's going to have to kill Steve to use the Soul Stone.
Yup. Got the same feeling.

Steve has to repeat to Tony
"Whatever happens tomorrow you must promise me one thing. Stay who you are. Goodbye Tony"
Liked it but didn't love it. Brolin, Saldana and Gillan were the cast MVPs for me, which is unsurprising because they have the meatiest roles to play in this story (Gillan is, along with Boseman, doing my favourite acting work in the MCU, so I may be kinda biased). Loved everything with them!
(04-26-2018, 07:22 PM)nickp Wrote: Can't wait for the rankings.

Hint. No one cares.

Don't make me find that Luke "I care" gif Nick P. Because I WILL do it.
There's plenty of character in this movie. It's just that it all belongs to Thanos. This is his movie through and through.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I don't have the energy right now. I dug it, but that's probably no surprise, and even knowing that the last part of the third act is entirely or almost entirely going to be undone, it was still effective for me. Thanos lives up to the hype and at least one of his henchpeople is actually pretty damn cool and characterful (ehnnn, not so much the other three). Definitely never going to agree with anyone that's ranking this anywhere near Marvel's worst (but even Marvel's worst I like just fine, most of the time).