Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - Post-Release Thread
(04-27-2018, 10:25 PM)SAIRUS Wrote: This was a father/daughter movie for sure. That said I got a little emo when Peter started to die. I guess kids dying is having some effect on me now (1st kid due in a month).

Congratulations... And yeah, that will make you more sensitive to seeing stuff like that. It did me, and it's weird.

(04-27-2018, 10:27 PM)tcjsavannah Wrote: This movie pissed off my wife. So take that into account when I tell you what I didn't like about the movie.

I didn't buy the Thanos/Gamora thing at all. No fucking way a guy who dispassionately wants to kill off half of the fucking universe gives two shits about one of his "children" that he took from a planet and turned into a killing machine, like all of his other "children." Ergo, no fucking way he gets that Soul Stone from not-Hugo Red Skull.

The ending. Yes, I know shit will get retconned in the next one. Yes, I know it's comic book. But people keep bringing up Empire. I'm going to bring up The Last Jedi. This movie's ending was as fucking depressing as The Last Jedi's. Because at least in Empire, you got the last scene of hope, where Lando and Chewie are going off to rescue Han with Leia and Luke watching on. You got no such scene in Last Jedi and you sure as fucking hell didn't get it here. It went for pure shock value that is as shallow as can be. Hey, Spider-Man is dead! Then what in the fuck is this July 5, 2019 release date for Spider-Man 2? Give me a fucking break. If you end the movie with him about to snap his fingers then fade to black, that wouldn't have insulted me as much as this did.

I also didn't like the Titan fight. This is Thanos. Don't pull that gauntlet like you're trying to take an evening glove off after the fucking opera. CUT HIS FUCKING HAND OFF. Tony even has a magic nano sword that he tries to use AFTER THE FACT.

So there it is. The good news is, now my wife knows the feeling of having a movie piss you off like TLJ did for me, so hooray for that.

I don't think just cutting to black after the snap would've worked all that well either, and what we got at least manged to be pretty eerie... I do agree with you that if they wanted to preserve at least some notion for the savvy viewer that the dead wouldn't be coming back, they picked the wrong people to kill at the end. The idea seems to be, though, to pare back to the core Avengers giving them space for a proper sendoff next time around. We'll see if it ends up being worth the obvious ruse, I guess.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(04-27-2018, 10:25 PM)SAIRUS Wrote: That said I got a little emo when Peter started to die.

That beat's been (rightly) touched upon a few times in this thread already, but yeah... I didn't realize until that moment exactly how much Tom Holland has become "my" Spider-Man. He played Peter's (pretty raw) fear in that moment beautifully.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(04-27-2018, 10:27 PM)tcjsavannah Wrote: This movie pissed off my wife. So take that into account when I tell you what I didn't like about the movie.

I didn't buy the Thanos/Gamora thing at all. No fucking way a guy who dispassionately wants to kill off half of the fucking universe gives two shits about one of his "children" that he took from a planet and turned into a killing machine, like all of his other "children." Ergo, no fucking way he gets that Soul Stone from not-Hugo Red Skull.

The ending. Yes, I know shit will get retconned in the next one. Yes, I know it's comic book. But people keep bringing up Empire. I'm going to bring up The Last Jedi. This movie's ending was as fucking depressing as The Last Jedi's. Because at least in Empire, you got the last scene of hope, where Lando and Chewie are going off to rescue Han with Leia and Luke watching on. You got no such scene in Last Jedi and you sure as fucking hell didn't get it here. It went for pure shock value that is as shallow as can be. Hey, Spider-Man is dead! Then what in the fuck is this July 5, 2019 release date for Spider-Man 2? Give me a fucking break. If you end the movie with him about to snap his fingers then fade to black, that wouldn't have insulted me as much as this did.

I also didn't like the Titan fight. This is Thanos. Don't pull that gauntlet like you're trying to take an evening glove off after the fucking opera. CUT HIS FUCKING HAND OFF. Tony even has a magic nano sword that he tries to use AFTER THE FACT.

So there it is. The good news is, now my wife knows the feeling of having a movie piss you off like TLJ did for me, so hooray for that.

There's plenty of real world maniacs (and just a few historical world leaders) who were nice to their family and good with children and yet slaughtered people by the boatload. So, I didn't have any trouble buying that angle. As a result, that whole scene with Gamora was me watching someone digging an ever deeper hole that ended with Thanos kicking her into it. People sacrifice the ones they love for what they see is an even higher aim they see as righteous isn't completely unheard of either. Remember, this might not make sense to us but these people are just a bit insane by our standards.

I admit it's a bit more contrived as to why Thanos was taking any chances by immediately not obliterating anyone who had any chance of challenging him on sight immediately since it's established early on he could do that any number of ways. Especially why would he bother putting Drax and Mantis back together on the way out. I guess we have to buy that because otherwise, it would have been a very short movie indeed. Still, if he did that to Drax and Mantis earlier, makes you wonder why he didn't do something just as fast on Titan, especially when it was clear he was in a bit more trouble there.
(04-27-2018, 10:27 PM)tcjsavannah Wrote: The ending. Yes, I know shit will get retconned in the next one. Yes, I know it's comic book. But people keep bringing up Empire. I'm going to bring up The Last Jedi. This movie's ending was as fucking depressing as The Last Jedi's. Because at least in Empire, you got the last scene of hope, where Lando and Chewie are going off to rescue Han with Leia and Luke watching on. You got no such scene in Last Jedi and you sure as fucking hell didn't get it here. 

(04-27-2018, 10:35 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Along the lines of CUT HIS HAND OFF, anyone else wonder why Thanos didn't just do the same thing to the Avengers that he did to Drax? It seemed like Thanos engaged in some needless hand to hand.

hehehehe, that's always going to be a problem when you're dealing with silly comic-booky fantasy magic like this!  it's going to be an escalating series of woulda-shoulda-coulda!  ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with this many different kinds of marquee heroes and villains with a variety of powers that weren't designed to be in one story at the same time!  it's the usual power creep that happens in unwieldy cross-overs like this with all of Hollywood's resources behind it!

that said, I actually didn't even think about someone just chopping off Thanos' arm to get the gauntlet!  it's so obvious in hindsight, but I must've been busy laughing at them struggling to take the thing off him!

I did enjoy the final moments of the movie where even Thanos tells Thor... "you shoulda gone for my head!  SNAP!"

All respect to anyone for whom that kinda thing just doesn't fly.  It could've easily not flown with me, but in this case, it did!  Because I GOT MY LIVE-ACTION DRAGON BALL MOVIE FINALLY! hahahaha

[Image: mfd58an2qcn01.jpg]

And like Shan, I have no problem believing that Thanos truly loved his 'daughter' in his own way.  I wasn't moved by his plight, but I did find it interesting and bought into the premise because humanoids are weird when it comes to "love".  Especially in heightened galactic narratives like this.

And Last Jedi does end on a note of hope!  You got Leia and Rey being hopeful!  And don't forget good ol' BROOM BOY!  At least, I left the movie totally energized!
(04-27-2018, 10:39 PM)slim Wrote: I don't think just cutting to black after the snap would've worked all that well either, and what we got at least manged to be pretty eerie... I do agree with you that if they wanted to preserve at least some notion for the savvy viewer that the dead wouldn't be coming back, they picked the wrong people to kill at the end. The idea seems to be, though, to pare back to the core Avengers giving them space for a proper sendoff next time around. We'll see if it ends up being worth the obvious ruse, I guess.

If it had cut to black with the finger snap, audiences would have had a year to wonder who lives and who dies.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people arguing over whether that would have been better a decade from now.
(04-27-2018, 05:05 PM)Codename Wrote: The forge section is worth it because it leads directly to the bitchin' Bifrost entrance in Wakanda with the Avengers theme swelling.

If we're dealing out lines that killed us;

Stark: "You're from Earth?!"
Quill: "I'm from Missouri."
Stark: "Yeah, that's ON Earth dipshit!"

Stark and Strange trying to out-dick eachother also never got old.

Not bad but this is still the gold standard.

Lt. Col. Bill Cage: "Master Sergeant Farell, you're an American?"

Master Sergeant Farell: "No, sir. I'm from Kentucky."
I can only hope for the Broom Boy / Squirrel Girl MCU/Star Wars crossover.
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
(04-27-2018, 11:14 PM)Reasor Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 10:39 PM)slim Wrote: I don't think just cutting to black after the snap would've worked all that well either, and what we got at least manged to be pretty eerie... I do agree with you that if they wanted to preserve at least some notion for the savvy viewer that the dead wouldn't be coming back, they picked the wrong people to kill at the end. The idea seems to be, though, to pare back to the core Avengers giving them space for a proper sendoff next time around. We'll see if it ends up being worth the obvious ruse, I guess.

If it had cut to black with the finger snap, audiences would have had a year to wonder who lives and who dies.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people arguing over whether that would have been better a decade from now.

No, I think you actually had to show the effect of Thanos clicking his fingers because a lot of people wouldn't know what happened after that and they'd be arguing about that. Remember, a lot of people are casual viewers to the point where they wouldn't have a clue what the significance of that action was even though it had been mentioned earlier in the film. A lot of people really do skim this material at the most superficial level. Not a criticism, they're just not that invested. They'd need to see it in tangible action.
Yeah, while I personally wouldn't mind the movie ending with the finger snap (because I enjoy a performative cliffhanger)... that would mean the movie would have to be redesigned to build to such a moment... with the audience being WELL-PREPARED to understand the significance of the finger snap.

But the movie the Russos made is one in which we have to see Thanos sitting in his retirement hut in peace knowing that he accomplished his goal. We have to see the consequences of the finger-snap. The movie is technically designed with him being the protagonist, the way the DeSouza describes the way he wrote Die Hard with Hans Gruber as the protagonist.

They did actually give the movie an ending. But it's understandably seen as a cliffhanger because the villain isn't supposed to win in movies like this!
(04-27-2018, 11:12 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 10:27 PM)tcjsavannah Wrote: The ending. Yes, I know shit will get retconned in the next one. Yes, I know it's comic book. But people keep bringing up Empire. I'm going to bring up The Last Jedi. This movie's ending was as fucking depressing as The Last Jedi's. Because at least in Empire, you got the last scene of hope, where Lando and Chewie are going off to rescue Han with Leia and Luke watching on. You got no such scene in Last Jedi and you sure as fucking hell didn't get it here. 

(04-27-2018, 10:35 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Along the lines of CUT HIS HAND OFF, anyone else wonder why Thanos didn't just do the same thing to the Avengers that he did to Drax? It seemed like Thanos engaged in some needless hand to hand.

hehehehe, that's always going to be a problem when you're dealing with silly comic-booky fantasy magic like this!  it's going to be an escalating series of woulda-shoulda-coulda!  ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with this many different kinds of marquee heroes and villains with a variety of powers that weren't designed to be in one story at the same time!  it's the usual power creep that happens in unwieldy cross-overs like this with all of Hollywood's resources behind it!

that said, I actually didn't even think about someone just chopping off Thanos' arm to get the gauntlet!  it's so obvious in hindsight, but I must've been busy laughing at them struggling to take the thing off him!

I did enjoy the final moments of the movie where even Thanos tells Thor... "you shoulda gone for my head!  SNAP!"

All respect to anyone for whom that kinda thing just doesn't fly.  It could've easily not flown with me, but in this case, it did!  Because I GOT MY LIVE-ACTION DRAGON BALL MOVIE FINALLY! hahahaha

[Image: mfd58an2qcn01.jpg]

And like Shan, I have no problem believing that Thanos truly loved his 'daughter' in his own way.  I wasn't moved by his plight, but I did find it interesting and bought into the premise because humanoids are weird when it comes to "love".  Especially in heightened galactic narratives like this.

And Last Jedi does end on a note of hope!  You got Leia and Rey being helpful!  And don't forget good ol' BROOM BOY!  At least, I left the movie totally energized!

Great to see some Dragon Ball Super love here; absolutely loved how they finally managed to make the series fun and enjoyable again, and specially making the non saiyan characters stand out and kick ass.
(and speaking of comic book deaths that get instantly reversed, damn if Master Roshi's didn't hit me in the gut here).
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
I actually don't watch Dragon Ball Super at all.  I tried glancing at the manga as well and was just put off by how flat the artwork was.

I didn't even really watch GT.

I'm all about Dragon Ball back when it was just Dragon Ball the manga!  I only posted the poster above because of the Infinity War parody!
Quick shout-out for Agents of SHIELD this week, still bringing it even though they've probably been reduced to a budget less than Infinity War's dog walking budget, never mind catering. I see it as a nice optional extra add-on pack for anyone so inclined to want a bit more MCU (or MCEU if you like). About as much of an Infinity War tie in as you could realistically expect to have under the circumstances.
(04-27-2018, 05:54 PM)Jones Wrote: Well, it was certainly relentless. I kept waiting for the film to stop short of Thanos getting all the stones, I'd just assumed that part one would end before he got them all. So I was legitimately shocked at how it kept going, and finally Thanos wins. He just did exactly what he set out to do, and apparently killed half the universe. Did not see that coming. I cursed Quill's name during the credits, even though I guess it was in character for him to screw up the plan like that.

My biggest question now is what happened to the gauntlet, where did it go, and is it really just going to be down to reversing time and bringing everyone back? Because that feels like it could be a bit cheap, depending on how they handle it. Still, the first film was well done.

If you can snap to delete, surely you can snap again to un-delete.

The Gauntlet itself seems damaged but intact post-snap but the stones look fine and it is still attached to Tommy. The next movie may have another visit to Dinklage since he already has a Gauntlet mold ready for use.
Sunset with a long nose.....
Loved it. Absolutely loved it.

One thing I'm not sure anyone's brought up (but maybe its just me) - Did anyone else think, even for a second, that after the finger snap, when Thanos woke up in the very orange baby-Gamora chat zone, that he'd ironically been offed by the snap and was now residing inside the soul stone? Would have been a nice irony if his random 50% cull of the universe included him. I suppose that his little farm idyll could even still be in there. Be an interesting twist if he had to be recruited from inside the soul stone to help fix everything in the next film.... (please note: I don't actually think this will be the case).
(04-27-2018, 09:27 PM)Nooj Wrote: I think Gamora's death was done with enough significance and weight that considering the circumstances, I think her being brought back could be a great moment if done right.

It wouldn't necessarily undercut anything, because it wasn't as if she sacrificed herself for the greater good. Her life was exploited by the villain to gain more power. Her coming back and having another moment with Thanos to bring closure to that relationship could be something powerful based on the strong work Saldana and Brolin did.

I agree that Gamora could be brought back while retaining the integrity and significance of her death.

I do have a feeling that while the rest of the Ash-Deads will return, Gamora might remain dead until Guardians 3. Maybe. To have a connective story with Adam Warlock.
Loved it. From start to finish. Kids loved it and cried buckets.
(04-28-2018, 03:13 AM)Hugh Manbeeng Wrote: Loved it. Absolutely loved it.

One thing I'm not sure anyone's brought up (but maybe its just me) - Did anyone else think, even for a second, that after the finger snap, when Thanos woke up in the very orange baby-Gamora chat zone, that he'd ironically been offed by the snap and was now residing inside the soul stone? Would have been a nice irony if his random 50% cull of the universe included him. I suppose that his little farm idyll could even still be in there. Be an interesting twist if he had to be recruited from inside the soul stone to help fix everything in the next film.... (please note: I don't actually think this will be the case).

I didn't think it had happened but I did think later that it would have been interesting if Thanos didn't care if he was part of the 50% or expressly willed that he be part of the 50%. It really would have posed a quandary for the heroes as to what to do next if he had. I mean, I think the film did a good job of things as it is, but this would have driven home beyond a doubt that Thanos wasn't doing this for personal gain or power if that had happened and could have been astounding in universe and to audiences alike (someone doing an ambiguous to bad thing for what they saw were ultimately good reasons), especially since such morally grey decision making happens all the time in real life.

There's at least one Japanese anime movie I know of where the police with the mechs and all the requisite tropes are racing to defeat a plan of an antagonist who we learn had committed suicide before the events of the movie had even started before setting his plan in motion. Could have been an interesting way to look at it but I think it's probably a safer bet to go back to Thanos punching. I hope the resolution will be more than just that, though (odds are good on that score, I'm sure).

(04-28-2018, 03:16 AM)eddie5 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 09:27 PM)Nooj Wrote: I think Gamora's death was done with enough significance and weight that considering the circumstances, I think her being brought back could be a great moment if done right.

It wouldn't necessarily undercut anything, because it wasn't as if she sacrificed herself for the greater good. Her life was exploited by the villain to gain more power. Her coming back and having another moment with Thanos to bring closure to that relationship could be something powerful based on the strong work Saldana and Brolin did.

I agree that Gamora could be brought back while retaining the integrity and significance of her death.

I do have a feeling that while the rest of the Ash-Deads will return, Gamora might remain dead until Guardians 3. Maybe. To have a connective story with Adam Warlock.

I think Guardians of the Galaxy 3: The Search for Gamora is an excellent idea. That way, Infinity War Part 2 will be more likely to end with the requisite number of deaths to have meant something in terms of a titanic struggle and the greatest The Avengers would have faced (at least before Bryan Cranston as Galactus). My current guess on that score is Loki, Heimdall, at least one of Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, and maybe Vision. A long-term fake out with Gamora would help bolster those numbers for long enough.

As for GotG 3 - maybe they could also have Thor in it for at least a bit (Thor + Rocket was inspired) and they can wrap some loose ends (Valkyrie and anyone else not specifically seen being whacked) and if you can wrap things up with Jane at least a bit better than that.

Everything in the Thor trilogy has seemed to have been a bit more disposable than the rest of the MCU, as it currently stands, what little was left after Thor 3 was through with it seems have all but been scrubbed by the opening scene of Infinity War.
Just got back. Loved it. I can’t judge the story cause it’s not done yet. But it’s off to a hell of a start.

I read the comic for the first time recently and honestly, the way the film ends is completely unsurprising if one assumed it was a two parter film. But it’s all in the execution and this was nearly immaculate. My only real complaint is Cap is slightly undercooked. On the flipside I loved everything with Thor, the Guardians, Strange, Iron Man And Spider-Man.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(04-28-2018, 03:03 AM)eddie5 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 05:54 PM)Jones Wrote: Well, it was certainly relentless. I kept waiting for the film to stop short of Thanos getting all the stones, I'd just assumed that part one would end before he got them all. So I was legitimately shocked at how it kept going, and finally Thanos wins. He just did exactly what he set out to do, and apparently killed half the universe. Did not see that coming. I cursed Quill's name during the credits, even though I guess it was in character for him to screw up the plan like that.

My biggest question now is what happened to the gauntlet, where did it go, and is it really just going to be down to reversing time and bringing everyone back? Because that feels like it could be a bit cheap, depending on how they handle it. Still, the first film was well done.

The Gauntlet itself seems damaged but intact post-snap but the stones look fine and it is still attached to Tommy. The next movie may have another visit to Dinklage since he already has a Gauntlet mold ready for use.

Unless ...

[Image: qUCwt.png]
Really? I thought it was quite obvious why Thanos let these fights get drawn out: The sport of it. He was having fun! Clearly if just one stone was enough for him to scare the green piss out of Hulk, having the full gauntlet means that he dictates the pace and direction of, well, everything.

As far as Thanos love for Gammorah... I buy it. I totally buy it. Haven't you ever known fucked up people? Fucked up people can feel love too, and it never stops them from still being fucked up and doing fucked up things to and with each other.

Thanos has a calling. Sure, it's an insane calling... but this is what he believes to his very core. Sacrifice was always going to play a part in accomplishing his goals.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
I know there are complaints about the Ash-Deaths - it being not real stakes since you know they will return. Or the movie should have ended at the snap itself.

But the end of the movie isn't about just the deaths itself. You feel it - for sure but it really isn't about those deaths. This is a movie that was essentially the culmination of 10 years worth of movies of character building to build up to that Finger Snap felt around the universe. They made sure you would feel it when that time came by giving you growing and evolving characters built over the years. But this wasn't about the deaths. It was about survivors reaction to those deaths - friends, family and comrades and the rest of the world. It was also about failure. Total abject failure. The failure to save the world and the universe on their watch. That guilt. The gut punch of all gut punches.

The next movie will be about coping with all of these terrible things in myriads of ways. And trying overcome and rise above it. These movies have always been about winning against impossible odds, rising to the occasion and to celebrate both the human (and alien) spirit. Not always successfully but pretty definitely always been the intention. It's a given the Ash-Deads will return but that's the destination - this is all about the journey. There is no greater example of winning against the odds at all cost than by bringing back the missing DEAD populace of the universe. I'm pretty sure that's the story they'd want to tell - something I would think they will intentionally design to give balance to these movies. This one ends in abject defeat and the next one in total triumph. This one starts jauntily and ends somberly. The next one might start somber and end positive?

You can't tell a story like that if Infinite War ended just on the fingersnap. The final moments needs to sit with you and fester a bit.

(04-28-2018, 04:40 AM)shan Wrote:

Unless ...

Cheers. The moment I mentioned the dreaded Un-Delete, I knew that was coming - just didn't know which shape it will take.
(04-28-2018, 05:22 AM)eddie5 Wrote: I know there are complaints about the Ash-Deaths - it being not real stakes since you know they will return. Or the movie should have ended at the snap itself.

But the end of the movie isn't about just the deaths itself. You feel it - for sure but it really isn't about those deaths. This is a movie that was essentially the culmination of 10 years worth of movies of character building to build up to that Finger Snap felt around the universe. They made sure you would feel it when that time came by giving you growing and evolving characters built over the years. But this wasn't about the deaths. It was about survivors reaction to those deaths - friends, family and comrades and the rest of the world. It was also about failure. Total abject failure. The failure to save the world and the universe on their watch. That guilt. The gut punch of all gut punches.

The next movie will be about coping with all of these terrible things in myriads of ways. And trying overcome and rise above it. These movies have always been about winning against impossible odds, rising to the occasion and to celebrate both the human (and alien) spirit. Not always successfully but pretty definitely always been the intention. It's a given the Ash-Deads will return but that's the destination - this is all about the journey. There is no greater example of winning against the odds at all cost than by bringing back the missing DEAD populace of the universe. I'm pretty sure that's the story they'd want to tell - something I would think they will intentionally design to give balance to these movies. This one ends in abject defeat and the next one in total triumph. This one starts jauntily and ends somberly. The next one might start somber and end positive?

You can't tell a story like that if Infinite War ended just on the fingersnap. The final moments needs to sit with you and fester a bit.

(04-28-2018, 04:40 AM)shan Wrote:

Unless ...

Cheers. The moment I mentioned the dreaded Un-Delete, I knew that was coming - just didn't know which shape it will take.

Hold on, we're not quite done yet.

[Image: wipe-computer-6.jpg]
Hah. You should have used this:
  [Image: file_853af9eb.jpeg?width=1200&region=0%2...000%2C2000]
Wider surface area, better smash capacity with a regular hammer head. We're serious about no takebacksies!
Ok so here’s a bunch of stuff I loved or otherwise caught my attention. This list could go on and on, but I’ll just rattle off what I’m thinking about:

- Cap’s first appearance with the theme blaring was awesome.

- I thought the Hulk / Banner dynamic was interesting. I liked they went for the dueling personalities, but with Hulk sulking or scared. I assume this will have a pay off in the next film. I also note there was a bait and switch with the trailers that clearly showed Hulk in Wakanda.

- Killing off Asgard is so weird, partially because Ragnarok was so terrible at selling the drama of the exile in that story. I think it was mainly effective here because Heimdal and Loki were very effective (LOVED the “We have a Hulk!” callback!) and Thor’s talk with Rocket was one of the most emotional moments in the film.

- All the Black Order were excellent as distinct threats. In such a massively stuffed film, they all had distinct personalities (even if they were mostly Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Barbarian). Lol at Cull Obsidian getting smeared across the top of the Wakandan Dome (and had a nice callback to AoU too)

- Loved the sci-fi vistas of Titan, the Soul Stone planet and the forge.

- Dinklage was passable. I nearly hated him, but him smashing the mound with his metal hands made up for it. Fucking Groot and that hammer tho. That destroyed me. Incredible.

- From the comic, I liked that Banner played the role of the surfer at Strange’s house, and Nebula’s torture too. The latter was possibly the toughest scene in the film to watch with a 9 & 10yr old.

- I was so so on Red Skull. Mostly cause I don’t really think of the character in that role. At first I thought it was gonna be a version of ‘Death’. And frankly the lack of Weaving was a bit distracting.

- I really thought some strings were gonna be pulled and Deadpool was gonna cameo. My suspicion was directed at the post-credit scene, but oh well.

- As for Miss Marvel... it kinda raises expectations for that character. I’m not sure how that movie functions with both the events of Infinity War going on and Fury picking her specifically as his go to saviour.
I seem to recall Thor saying at one point that Thanos killed half his people, implying some still live. We just never saw them.

Valkyrie? Korg? Never saw bodies or dust outs...

Re: Captain Marvel - I'm not TOO familiar with the comics, but it's my understanding that she is THE most powerful superhero in the 616 universe. She'll likely be the same in the MCU.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
Quickly on the Titan fight. I was initially surprised that the heroes were as effective as they were. We’ve seen Thanos take down the Hulk with a single Gem, yet here he’s getting knocked around by grenades and laser fire that presumably delivers far less concussive force than the Hulk.

But yeah whatever. The trump card for the heroes was Mantis. And considering he didn’t yet have the Mind gem, it’s reasonable it would be effective.

Whose to say that if they did try and cut his arm off, it wouldn’t have pierced his skin easily. It took all those hammer blows from Iron man just to get a single drop of blood.

Oh, yeah. It’s also a fight that features a fucking moon attack. So I rate it a success.

(04-28-2018, 06:39 AM)Anjin Wrote: I seem to recall Thor saying at one point that Thanos killed half his people, implying some still live. We just never saw them.

Re: Captain Marvel - I'm not TOO familiar with the comics, but it's my understanding that she is THE most powerful superhero in the 616 universe. She'll likely be the same in the MCU.

I wondered if the ship we saw explode was only half of the overall ship carrying the Asgardians. Maybe there’s another section floating off through space. The way Thor just heads off to get a weapon made me think that all were killed. Note that’s Thanos isn’t hard and fast with the 50% rule. He killed all the dwarves bar one and seemed to mess up Knowhere thoroughly.
Speaking of cool visuals, I'd add the moment where Thanos floats in a body of water with the sky reflected on it. That was a cool shot. It's little moments like these that tells you it's not a regular blockbuster.
I’d even say after killing his daughter Thanos might be down a notch or two.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
(04-28-2018, 06:43 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: Quickly on the Titan fight. I was initially surprised that the heroes were as effective as they were. We’ve seen Thanos take down the Hulk with a single Gem, yet here he’s getting knocked around by grenades and laser fire that presumably delivers far less concussive force than the Hulk.

I think it was mostly that they were always moving fast and coming at him from different angles and keeping him off balance. Having four Infinity Stones made Thanos nearly omnipotent, but he's still not omniscient. And they were focusing on keeping him from closing his fist to activate the gauntlet.

One thing that I really liked about that fight was that they didn't treat the nanites in the Bleeding Edge armour as magically infinite, and we see that as Thanos tears pieces of the armour off Tony has to start dropping the armour from some parts of himself in order to form new weapons, up until the stabbing. Which got a huge reaction in my audience.
(04-28-2018, 06:43 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: Quickly on the Titan fight. I was initially surprised that the heroes were as effective as they were. We’ve seen Thanos take down the Hulk with a single Gem, yet here he’s getting knocked around by grenades and laser fire that presumably delivers far less concussive force than the Hulk.

But yeah whatever. The trump card for the heroes was Mantis. And considering he didn’t yet have the Mind gem, it’s reasonable it would be effective.

Whose to say that if they did try and cut his arm off, it wouldn’t have pierced his skin easily. It took all those hammer blows from Iron man just to get a single drop of blood.

Oh, yeah. It’s also a fight that features a fucking moon attack. So I rate it a success.

(04-28-2018, 06:39 AM)Anjin Wrote: I seem to recall Thor saying at one point that Thanos killed half his people, implying some still live. We just never saw them.

I wondered if the ship we saw explode was only half of the overall ship carrying the Asgardians. Maybe there’s another section floating off through space. The way Thor just heads off to get a weapon made me think that all were killed. Note that’s Thanos isn’t hard and fast with the 50% rule. He killed all the dwarves bar one and seemed to mess up Knowhere thoroughly.

The film was a slight bit wobbly on Thanos's power level, he seemed to scale up and down just a bit seemingly at random and whichever power he used seemed to be equally random. Sometimes, he'd completely fool people with a fake vision, other times he'd just point in the their general direction and collapse them into cubes. Given he was in the most trouble on Titan, you'd think a different selection of powers might have been appropriate. Or at least some basic battle strategy such as don't get encircled. He had great powers of mobility he wasn't really using.

As for the 50% rule, it's overall across a total population, not every discrete group he meets at a location, furthermore, certain specific groups are a threat to his plans due to their particular skills and it's advisable to remove them entirely from the equation. Also, even then it's presumably not absolutely exact prior to getting all the stones (which can do the randomised selection for him), he's Thanos the Mad Titan, not Thanos the Epidemiologist.
(04-27-2018, 01:30 PM)catartik Wrote: Again, I think the "it's Part One of Two because it's all going to be reset, anyways" line of thinking is based entirely on just using the source material as a reference.

In the actual 18 movies prior to this, how many characters died and then came back? The only one I can think of was Loki, but that was a trick.

So I'll say it again, nobody knows right now whether all of these characters that are dead/cease to exist are going to be brought back.

What if the announcements for a Spider-Man sequel and GotG 3 were just fake outs? Kevin Feige clearly said Phase 4 is going to be vastly different from what preceded it. How is having sequels to movies from the first three phases "vastly different?".

I'm just throwing it out there.

Also, I think everyone has been speculating that Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place right after Civil War, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's only based entirely on assumptions that an anklet tracker is being attached to Lang during the trailer. It's not like Marvel hasn't had trailer shots that aren't in the movies (especially the most noticeable one missing from Infinity War).

So what if Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place after half the Earth's population disappears? It would be interesting to see a bridge movie deal with that scenario.

Looks like Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place before Infinity War going by the trailer. They all look a bit too chill to be in the midst of Armageddon. Also, they like these things outside the Avengers films to generally be more stand alone than not. Given that not everyone seeing this will have seen Infinity War (believe it or not), might be a bit disorientating if people just start fading out for no reason provided within the film.

I can see them having Ant-Man and the Wasp having its own localised self-contained story (with added Hawkeye!) and the post-credits scene dealing with the fallout from Infinity War (like a news broadcast talking about people disappearing and the Ant-Man cast looking around and seeing happen to all the extras and supporting cast around them).

P.S. Forgot to mention Nebula all this time. They might not do the exact same thing as her role in the end of the comics but I could see it being quite possible she ends up on the wrong side of the deadpool as well.
I'm all but certain Ant-Man and Wasp will start immediately after Civil War (Scott gets put on house arrest), then the characters go into the Quantum Realm and when they emerge at the end it's after Infinity War. And yeah, they see a news report and it's all GASP, roll credits.

Then post-credit scene is a Captain Marvel tease.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
There was this weird time issue I noticed in the post-credits scene. Fury asks Hill for an update. She checks and says that two bogeys have just appeared over Wakanda and then seconds later a car crashes in front of them and the Ashing begins in earnest. 

Am i missing something here but didn't it take quite bit of time between the first appearance of the bogeys and the Ashing? There was a whole lot of ground battle and a Thanos snapping to boot.
Dinklage is SO very bad in this movie. I cringed in my seat at his awful line reading of "That's....what.....'You will die' means" in his weird, stilted fake accent.

Very happy that this movie walks back a lot of the choices made in Ragnarok, increasingly making that movie ever more redundant.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N