Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: (4th Film) - Pre-Release Thread
(04-28-2018, 06:08 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: He Who Must Not Be Named has an interesting review up on his new Buddhist-ish website, presenting an arguement that it’s about the election of Donald Trump. 

But it’s not! Because the Doctor Strange movie is about that. I wrote a big long post about it and everything!

This should be in the other thread. But what can you do?

That's interesting, I saw part of a video where Ethan Van Sciver said the exact same thing about Infinity War. Guessing the two differ somewhat politically. 

I did find this part interesting in Devin's review:

Quote:But of course Thanos is NOT the protagonist. The entire end of the movie is predicated on us feeling destroyed by Thanos winning.

Personally I felt the total opposite. It was too exhilarating to make me feel destroyed; even if they bring everyone that turned to ash back, it still felt like they were taking chances and doing interesting things. And that feeling of it going interesting places was too exciting to leave me down.

Now I could see it leaving someone down that doesn't read comics, or get most of these characters likely aren't staying dead...but surely Devin gets that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(04-30-2018, 10:57 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: In this scenario I'm imagining the Kree-Skrull War/Annihilation/Secret Invasion playing out across Captain Marvel, Avengers 4 and Guardians 3. We already know the Nova Corps. got wiped out by Thanos, not unlike in Annihilation, and perhaps that could spin into a solo Nova movie in Phase 4.

Agree, I dont think we are getting only a single follow-up in A4, but a small handful in the next few movies.
Whatever happens at the end, I hope Thanos survives.  I would love to see a movie where the Avengers have to team up with Thanos to stop a bigger threat.  That door is cracked open by the fact that Thanos doesn't seem to like being evil.  He just has an unpleasant job to do.  In fact, it may happen in Avengers 4 if they run with the miniseries as a template.
(04-30-2018, 03:48 PM)ChrisW Wrote: Whatever happens at the end, I hope Thanos survives.  I would love to see a movie where the Avengers have to team up with Thanos to stop a bigger threat.  That door is cracked open by the fact that Thanos doesn't seem to like being evil.  He just has an unpleasant job to do.  

Thanos evil?  Only from a certain point of view.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(04-30-2018, 05:15 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 03:48 PM)ChrisW Wrote: Whatever happens at the end, I hope Thanos survives.  I would love to see a movie where the Avengers have to team up with Thanos to stop a bigger threat.  That door is cracked open by the fact that Thanos doesn't seem to like being evil.  He just has an unpleasant job to do.  

Thanos evil?  Only from a certain point of view.

Indeed. All it would take is a threat bent on destroying ALL life in the universe for Thanos to bring all of his efforts into alignment with our heroes.

The current film did a frankly amazing job of illustrating that Thanos sees himself as a defender of life, and a defender of those who suffer. He sees himself as the only being with the Will to bring about the conditions that will ensure both the continued existence of life, and the means for that life that does survive to be suffering-free (or at least suffer less than they would have without his intervention). It's easy to imagine a scenario where Thanos' goals and the goals of the Avengers run parallel for a time.
Shouldn't we have seen some animals go all ashy?
For that matter, wouldn't half of all plants go ashy as well?
Those are resources (on Earth at least), not sentient "takers."

Except maybe for cats.
I'm not Avery.
(04-30-2018, 05:28 PM)analog olmos Wrote: Indeed.   All it would take is a threat bent on destroying ALL life in the universe for Thanos to bring all of his efforts into alignment with our heroes.  

The current film did a frankly amazing job of illustrating that Thanos sees himself as a defender of life, and a defender of those who suffer.  He sees himself as the only being with the Will to bring about the conditions that will ensure both the continued existence of life, and the means for that life that does survive to be suffering-free (or at least suffer less than they would have without his intervention).   It's easy to imagine a scenario where Thanos' goals and the goals of the Avengers run parallel for a time.

oh no!  don't turn him into another magneto type that joins the heroes only to screw them over at the end each time!
You mean, pull a Loki?
I kinda didn't care much about Thor getting a new Titan-killing phallus. That was the one arc in the whole flick that I think could have been rethunked out.

Can anyone lift Stormy? Is it Mjolnir with an extra Bridge power?
(04-30-2018, 06:13 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: You mean, pull a Loki?

magneto got there first, superhero movies-wise!

I think???
(04-30-2018, 06:26 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I kinda didn't care much about Thor getting a new Titan-killing phallus. That was the one arc in the whole flick that I think could have been rethunked out.

Can anyone lift Stormy? Is it Mjolnir with an extra Bridge power?

I don't really care about Thor/Kratos' new axe (and it IS an axe, not a hammer, people)... but it's got GROOT's ARM AS A HANDLE. If Mjolnir was metal, StormBreaker is metal as FUCK.

ETA: Add to that now Thor is the God of Thunder with a Cyborg Eye... and I love this mythology more than any religion going right now.
Never felt like it was even a question if Thor could lift Stormbreaker. Would have be kind of funny if it was: You were worthy of Mjølnir, but you've got to be even more worthy for this bad boy? Wonder if we'll get the demon horse Beta Ray Bill in this movie, or the next Thor movie?
The subplot to forge Stormbreaker keeps Thor out of the main plot long enough to let the rest of the Avengers struggle without him and sets up the scene where Thor starts turning the tide of the battle in Wakanda, just when the movie and the audience need it most.  Later, it gives viewers who didn't know the ending in advance a nice second or two of false hope between the completion of Thanos' gem collection and the finger snap.  As McGuffins go, I think it's a well used one.  The axe sets up some good moments.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
(04-30-2018, 06:50 PM)Reasor Wrote: The subplot to forge Stormbreaker keeps Thor out of the main plot long enough to let the rest of the Avengers struggle without him and sets up the scene where Thor starts turning the tide of the battle in Wakanda, just when the movie and the audience need it most.  Later, it gives viewers who didn't know the ending in advance a nice second or two of false hope between the completion of Thanos' gem collection and the finger snap.  As McGuffins go, I think it's a well used one.  The axe sets up some good moments.

Agree all. The more I think on it, the more I love everything with Thor in this film, without exception. They set up that he can survive in vacuum when the Guardians pick him up... but then when he's at the Forge with rabbit, there's this ridiculous scene where he's sitting ON TOP OF their ship while they discuss how he's gonna restart the thing, and then again when he decided to hold the iris open with his bare hands. And he's panting from the exertion. In space. The vacuum of space. He's panting.

Now, that's something that would drive me beyond mere madness in a different film, or with a different character. In fact, I was squarely in the "eye-roll" camp on the vacuum scene in Guardians. But Loki's last words are telling - he tells Thanos "you will never be a god." And for all of the "they're just aliens with magical technology!" stuff about the Asgardians, the fact is Thor and his ilk are the closest to gods these characters are ever going to encounter. The ambiguity of alien vs divine seems to get amped up to 11 the more trials and tribulations Thor gets put through, and seeing him restart the heart of a dying star, channel its fire through the path of his own body, and then arrive on Earth with the thunder... I think to me he's crossed over into no-bullshit God status, Thanos be damned.
I LOVE THOR'S QUEST FOR STORMBREAKER!
Dinklage's voice is the voice you should imagine in your head when you read my posts.
Count me in the Fan or Thor’s Sidequest Camp. Post-Ragnarok, I especially enjoyed every moment we got to spend with him.
The best thing they can do with Hawkeye is have him come running in. All Ronin'd out, ready to battle... and the battle is over

Hawkeye "I'm ready guys! Let's do this! I have a family to save!"

Iron Man "Clint, the fights over. We won"

Hawkeye "my family is safe! I saw them disappear"

Captain America "that must have been hard Clint, they should be back now"

Hawkeye "first. It's Ronin now! And two. I can't wait to get home and see Max"

Black Widow "Max...? Your sons name isn't Max"

Hawkeye "no. But my Dogs name is Max"

Black Widow "You don't have a dog"

Hawkeye "... okay. Donkey. My Donkey vanished. Okay??!! It was rough. I loved that guy. Also. Why didn't you call for my assistance?"

Thor "You shoot arrows"

AVENGERS 4

CAST
In surprising leaked footage, it turns out that Thanos and Black Widow have been plotting behind everyone else's back. I liked the disguises so no-one would recognise them.

Thor's subplot also slows the film down a little and lets it breath. Which it needs, given the onslaught of jokes and spectacle.

I liked Thor here more than in Ragnarok, and it nicely addressed some of the weaker aspects of that film.
that quiet scene between Thor and Rocket walks a REAAAAALLY fine line between having Thor quietly try to maintain his boastful demeanor while his heartbreak and vulnerability is fully on display

it manages to maintain his pathos and humor without one undercutting the other

really really well done, I thought
"He's never fought me twice!"
"if I'm wrong?      ........then what more do I have to lose?"

".............I could lose a lot......."
"Rabbit!"
(04-30-2018, 08:22 PM)nickp Wrote: The best thing they can do with Hawkeye is have him come running in.  All Ronin'd out, ready to battle... and the battle is over

Hawkeye "I'm ready guys! Let's do this! I have a family to save!"

Iron Man "Clint, the fights over. We won"

Hawkeye "my family is safe! I saw them disappear"

Captain America "that must have been hard Clint,  they should be back now"

Hawkeye "first. It's Ronin now! And two.  I can't wait to get home and see Max"

Black Widow "Max...? Your sons name isn't Max"

Hawkeye "no.  But my Dogs name is Max"

Black Widow "You don't have a dog"

Hawkeye "... okay.  Donkey.  My Donkey vanished. Okay??!! It was rough. I loved that guy.  Also. Why didn't you call for my assistance?"

Thor "You shoot arrows"

AVENGERS 4

CAST

The best thing they could do with Hawkeye is have him spend the entirety of the Infinity Wars protecting an apartment complex in Bed-Stuy alongside Kate Bishop and a dog who likes pizza from a bunch of gangsters in tracksuits.
(05-01-2018, 12:39 AM)bradito Wrote: "Rabbit!"

That was never not funny.
(05-01-2018, 12:32 AM)Nooj Wrote: "if I'm wrong?      ........then what more do I have to lose?"

".............I could lose a lot......."

And Rocket then proceeds to lose everything.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
He didn't even get Bucky's arm.
Oh, he's gonna get that arm...
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Feige confirmed this won't be titled Infinity Gauntlet, but also noted that the title secrecy has been blown out of proportion and is bound to backfire.
Avengers: Lowered Expectations!
(05-01-2018, 11:54 AM)shaunh Wrote: Feige confirmed this won't be titled Infinity Gauntlet, but also noted that the title secrecy has been blown out of proportion and is bound to backfire.

It's going to be Avengers: Infinity War Part 2, isn't it?

ETA: http://marvel.com/movies/movie/226/aveng...war_part_2
4 Avengers 4 Infinity...4 War