Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: (4th Film) - Pre-Release Thread
I mean, I can see Tony Stark sticking around because RDJ can just be a voice and face. I bet Hulk is also around just as Hulk (if you consider the rumors about what he's going to be like in Avengers 4), so you don't need to worry about Mark Ruffallo getting too old. Thor actually benefits from getting older and gruffer.

It's just curious. I figure you can get another decade of these movies without slowing down. But someone, at some point, around 2030 is going to wonder if they should default back to "classic" iterations, with a fresh young face as Steve Rogers, etc.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
You have to do a reboot because you'll start losing audiences with the contrived ways of introducing "Tony Stark, Jr.!"
Like that time it turned out Tony Stark had been under the control of a supervillain the whole time, so the Avengers went and got an alternate-reality teenage version of Tony to take his place?

[Image: latest?cb=20080322192204]

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

(10-05-2018, 08:48 AM)MichaelM Wrote: ...and now I'm back to my "Thank fuck I don't read comics" stance.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Oh, that's not the end of it, MM. Almost immediately after teenage Tony was introduced, all of the Avengers (and Fantastic Four, and others) "died" sacrificing themselves to contain the consciousness of Onslaught, a being who was the worst parts of Magneto and Charles Xavier combined. 

In their absence, Franklin Richards, the son of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, used his reality-warping powers to create an entire second Earth, orbiting on the other side of the sun so perfectly that it couldn't be seen through a telescope, occupied by recreated versions of everyone who'd died. 

This opportunity to "soft reboot" the origins of the characters, origins that were walked back just a few months later when all the characters returned to the original Earth, gave us such classic pieces of artwork as this:

[Image: cap.jpg]

The whole cyclical nature of Norse mythology makes it pretty easy for Thor to age into the Odin role and have a new Thor come along.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I think Thor's gonna end up leading The Eternals. That's the rumour anyway. And it suits him. Hemsworth and the character feels like he's just hitting his stride. Especially with the goodwill generated by the 1-2 punch of Ragnarok and IW (I've loved you since Thor 1 though boo).
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
yeah, big Hemsworth fan here as well.
From what I understand, he's keen to keep on rolling as Thor beyond AVENGERS 4. Only Evans is DONE DONE, and Downey is still supposedly weighing options. From what I gather, he's keen to reduce his role and take on the supporting role ala SPIDERMAN: HOMECOMING.
Moses on goddamned pogo stick, that Liefield pic of Cap never fails to elicit WHAFUCK!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

The fact that Liefield had so much success in the 90's while also being the fucking worst at drawing actual human bodies is a WTF for me.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Disney clearly is aiming to have digital actors be a thing. My guess is that, within the next few years, RDJ sells his likeness to Disney so they can have Iron Man available in perpetuity. That character requires the least physical presence of an actor, so they will start there and then perhaps use it for other actors/characters down the road.
(10-05-2018, 11:14 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Oh, that's not the end of it, MM. Almost immediately after teenage Tony was introduced, all of the Avengers (and Fantastic Four, and others) "died" sacrificing themselves to contain the consciousness of Onslaught, a being who was the worst parts of Magneto and Charles Xavier combined. 

In their absence, Franklin Richards, the son of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, used his reality-warping powers to create an entire second Earth, orbiting on the other side of the sun so perfectly that it couldn't be seen through a telescope, occupied by recreated versions of everyone who'd died. 

This opportunity to "soft reboot" the origins of the characters, origins that were walked back just a few months later when all the characters returned to the original Earth, gave us such classic pieces of artwork as this:

[Image: cap.jpg]
Comics are baffling to me.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Official title of AVENGERS 4 is:

AvT: TWILIGHT OF DESTINY

Big Grin
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
After a certain franchise ended, I have figured the word "Twilight" would be stricken from any and all franchises.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Marvel's bringing it back and people will love it!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
It's sounds like a Nintendo game forgotten in the 1990's.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Apparently the actual official title of Avengers 4 is ANNIHILATION.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
The best tweet was the guy who said the title is "Avengers: Venom 2."
That's the only way that Venom 2 could actually happen.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
DAWN OF RISING ANNIHILATION

Oh Annihilation, the storyline where the Skrull homeworld is destroyed?

Hmmmmm indeed indeed.

Avengers: End Game isn't the real title? I've been duped!
Hearing it’s THE LAST AVENGER.
Avengers: The Last Avenger $o Far
I really hope they don't use Annihilation without using Annihilus and the Annihilation Wave. That's too good a concept to waste. An extradimensional threat like Annihilus coming in as a direct result of Thanos's actions would be an interesting hook, but I feel like we would have heard something along those lines by now.

If the word of them commissioning a Dark Avengers script is legit, Last Avenger makes sense. The 'Avengers' name gets retired along with Cap's death/retirement here and then exploited later by the Dark Avengers as a PR ploy.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Avengers: Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Dark Avengers would be a little strange, because Norman Osborn hasn't been introduced in the MCU yet, Venom couldn't be in it, Bullseye couldn't be in it, Daken couldn't be in it, soooooooooooo

You basically just have the concept and name. Which, sure, Marvel Studios has repurposed titles completely out of context before. Age of Ultron has nothing to do with time travel, and Iron Patriot in Iron Man Three is completely different.

I'd rather they just do Thunderbolts.

(10-06-2018, 09:30 AM)superlaser Wrote: I really hope they don't use Annihilation without using Annihilus and the Annihilation Wave.  That's too good a concept to waste.  An extradimensional threat like Annihilus coming in as a direct result of Thanos's actions would be an interesting hook, but I feel like we would have heard something along those lines by now.  

Was just about to post this same thought. "Annihilation" seems like something to use once the cosmic side of things has developed more-- Nova introduced, maybe along with the FF and the Negative Zone. 

Not to say that they couldn't adapt it later (it is the absolute best set of comics Marvel publishing has done this century), but it's weird to burn the title on what's probably a completely unrelated story.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(10-06-2018, 09:42 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Dark Avengers would be a little strange, because Norman Osborn hasn't been introduced in the MCU yet, Venom couldn't be in it, Bullseye couldn't be in it, Dakken couldn't be in it, soooooooooooo

You basically just have the concept and name. Which, sure, Marvel Studios has repurposed titles completely out of context before. Age of Ultron has nothing to do with time travel, and Iron Patriot in Iron Man Three is completely different.

I'd rather they just do Thunderbolts.

I also had a thought that the Dark Avengers might be Skrulls, reversing the Secret Invasion/Dark Reign dynamic.  Skrull impersonators of any Avengers that don't make it back from whatever happens in 4 show up claiming to be the 'real' Avengers, clashing with the new generation.

Or maybe they're a government response to the 'mutant' threat, with the good guys mostly staying neutral or siding with the mutants? I suspect they may just end up applying the Dark Avengers name to the Thunderbolts concept, similar to how Netflix used Defenders for what was basically a Marvel Knights crossover.

And re: Annihilus, without the Negative Zone set up yet, they could always have him be something that escapes from the Quantum Realm.

-Bart
The thing that lends Annihilation credibility is Thanos already having destroyed Xandar. There only being one Nova left, Richard Rider, is a big part of Annihilation.

The Snap™ could also be the cause of a decimated Skrull empire, and explain why they're invading Earth. What's interesting about the Skrulls in Secret Invasion (a story that results from the events of Annihilation) is how they're portrayed as religious fanatics who believe they have a Crusades-esque destination and claim on the Earth. That's unique compared to Hydra when it comes to an infiltration storyline, and could make for some potent allegory and commentary in this day and age.

I think one of the things that's helping the MCU is that most of the Marvel events/crossovers have a very strong basic hook that's easy to reconfigure and adapt into an MCU-useable configuration, regardless of the quality of execution of the actual comic book storyline.
Secret Invasion - Shape shifter invasion
Civil War - Heroes fighting over government control
Civil War 2 - Heroes fighting over pre-crime
Secret Wars - Alien being kidnaps heroes/villains and makes them fight each other
House of M - Scarlet Witch goes crazy, creates a single alternate reality which eventually gets undone.
Secret Empire - What if... Cap were evil?
Annihilation - Huge alien wave of destruction is coming
Dark Avengers - Worst case scenario of Civil War - Villain gets control of the hero registration apparatus.

DC's crossovers and various Crises tend to be so convoluted in their basic premise and concerned with resetting/rebooting continuity that they don't adapt well to the screen, which holds them back when setting up a proper shared universe.

-Bart
Yeah, I don't want to make this a Marvel vs. DC thing because that's an arbitrary argument, but most DC crossovers tend to be about DC comics while Marvel crossovers tend to be on-the-nose allegories for real-world issues.

So while DC does a new Crisis or Dark Nights: Metal or Watchmen crossover, basically excuses to examine the history of their own characters through a prism, Marvel tackles gun control (Civil War), the War on Terror (Secret Invasion), profiling (Civil War II), the current resurgence of white supremacy (Secret Empire) and so on and so forth. It's pretty hamfisted, but the hook is there because it's grounded in some form of relatability.