Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Lepke" (1975)
Despite Tony Curtis' dominate, yet two dimensional, performance, Lepke (1975) was sort of a bore. The problem with this movie is the script - the screenwriter basically took newspaper headlines from the 40s and developed a movie around that - yet, there was little to no mention of Murder, Inc. Lepke is also plagued with historical issues, though I try not to hold a film too close to actual events, the screenwriter inserted drama between Lepke and Albert Anastaisa when in reality there really wasn't this over the top feud between the two. Another glaring problem is that Charlie "Lucky" Luciano was present at Lepke's 1941 trial in the film, when in reality, Luciano was sent to prison in 1936. 

There is also some definite casting problems with Lepke. Not only was the short, clean shaven Dutch Schultz portrayed as a rotund, mustached man who gorged himself, but besides Curtis, most of the acting is either cartoonishly over the top (like Zitto Kazann  as Abe "Kid Twist" Reles) or dreadfully dull (like Anjanette Comer as Lepke's wife). Vic Tayback as Luciano really stuck with me. I didn't think he was a good Luciano, but he definitely played a really good overweight Italian mobster, really reminiscent of De Niro's performance as Capone in The Untouchables (1987). There is a really great scene where Lepke visits Luciano's house, and he clearly realizes that the Italians were the dominate force on The Commission. 

Obviously made to ride the wave of Godfather hype, Lepke certainly has its moments, but ultimately belongs to stay in obscurity. The poster is easily the best part of the movie, which features some characters (like Frank Costello and Vito Genovese) that never make it into the movie. 

[Image: lepke-movie-poster-1974-1020232720.jpg]