Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) Post-Release Discussion
Just out of a press screening. The marketing has completely undersold this film. It's a blast from start to finish.

Ron Howard has done a remarkable job given the circumstances. The action set-pieces and inventive and thrilling. The supporting cast are great. And Alden Ehrenreich nails Han. Which is key.

He is never doing a Ford impersonation but instead just inhabits the character and makes it his own. I never felt for one moment that I was not watching HAN SOLO. And Chewbacca is amazing in this. This is the Chewie I have always wanted to see on screen. In his arm-pulling prime.

I wasn't optimistic going in and had zero expectations but it genuinely surpassed them all. And I'm more surprised than anyone.

Is it perfect? No.

Sigh, Emilia Clarke, I'm sorry to say, isn't great. And there are some clunky moments in the first act. Plus the very end feels a tad rushed and unsatisfying. But they leave it totally open-ended for more adventures and I'd be more than happy to follow these guys on them.

It's a heap of FUN. And it's a perfect palate cleanser for anyone who found Rogue One a soulless slog (like me).

I'm looking forward to seeing this with a paying audience.

In fact, I'm even considering bringing my four year old son to this as his first big screen Star Wars experience (he has seen all the movies bar ROTS)

It's dinner time here and I have two young kids to put to bed but I will be on later to answer any questions.
[Image: 1318.gif]
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
How's Thandie Newton? Big role?
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
I'll do that thing that I criticize others for and ask a question about a movie that's coming out in less than 2 weeks!

DOES EMILIA MAKE FACES IN THIS???
(05-16-2018, 12:58 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: How's Thandie Newton? Big role?

She's good. Tiny role though.

Fucking Hell, did they deliberately trying to hire shit people who can't act for this?!? No thanks.
I've long been of the opinion that Thandie Newton is one of the worst actresses in Hollywood, but she's really impressed me with her work on WESTWORLD. As such, I'm gonna give her a fair shake in SOLO.
Thandie Newton gives a very brave performance in Beloved.

But that movie's not for everyone.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Really? The ONE fucking actor in this movie you're going to single out is my girl?

Why do you hate me, double? There's clearly an agenda here.
How was the cameo towards the end?
Any crowd reaction?

(05-16-2018, 03:35 PM)nickp Wrote: How was the cameo towards the end?
Any crowd reaction?

Cameo was surprising to me! You don't get much of a reaction with a stuffy audience of middle aged critics unfortunately
(05-16-2018, 02:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I've long been of the opinion that Thandie Newton is one of the worst actresses in Hollywood, but she's really impressed me with her work on WESTWORLD.  As such, I'm gonna give her a fair shake in SOLO.

Thandie Newton is like Penelope Cruz and Katie Holmes, women who know they're beautiful but are always fucking smirking because they think they're also cute. Can't stand any of them although, to be fair, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to ejaculate in their vagina's for the purpose of procreation, if you know what I mean.

(05-16-2018, 03:00 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Thandie Newton gives a very brave performance in Beloved.

But that movie's not for everyone.

She plays a retard who runs around naked, I'm sure you identify.
(05-16-2018, 12:33 PM)doubledown1138 Wrote: Just out of a press screening. The marketing has completely undersold this film. It's a blast from start to finish.

Ron Howard has done a remarkable job given the circumstances. The action set-pieces and inventive and thrilling. The supporting cast are great. And Alden Ehrenreich nails Han. Which is key.

He is never doing a Ford impersonation but instead just inhabits the character and makes it his own. I never felt for one moment that I was not watching HAN SOLO. And Chewbacca is amazing in this. This is the Chewie I have always wanted to see on screen. In his arm-pulling prime.

I wasn't optimistic going in and had zero expectations but it genuinely surpassed them all. And I'm more surprised than anyone.

Is it perfect? No.

Sigh, Emilia Clarke, I'm sorry to say, isn't great. And there are some clunky moments in the first act. Plus the very end feels a tad rushed and unsatisfying. But they leave it totally open-ended for more adventures and I'd be more than happy to follow these guys on them.

It's a heap of FUN. And it's a perfect palate cleanser for anyone who found Rogue One a soulless slog (like me).

In fact, I'm even considering bringing my four year old son to this as his first big screen Star Wars experience (he has seen all the movies bar ROTS)

It's dinner time here and I have two young kids to put to bed but I will be on later to answer any questions.

Could you please describe the circumstances of the press screening?

Where was it?  Who sponsored it?  Any cool trinkets handed out?  Anyone from Lucasfilm/Disney there?
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]

(05-16-2018, 03:35 PM)nickp Wrote: How was the cameo towards the end?
Any crowd reaction?

Cameo was surprising to me! You don't get much of a reaction with a stuffy audience of middle aged critics unfortunately
(05-16-2018, 04:12 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 12:33 PM)doubledown1138 Wrote: Just out of a press screening. The marketing has completely undersold this film. It's a blast from start to finish.

Is it perfect? No.

Could you please describe the circumstances of the press screening?

Where was it?  Who sponsored it?  Any cool trinkets handed out?  Anyone from Lucasfilm/Disney there?

Just your standard morning press screening. Cinema in central Dublin. 2D. About 30 familiar faces who are always at these things. No sponsor. No trinkets. One Disney intern and two beefy security guards who put your phone in a bag. Best part? No ads or trailers.
Seeing this at a VIP screening next Saturday. Free SW is best SW.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/m/be...firms.html

Quote:Lando (played by Donald Glover and, earlier, Billy Dee Williams) is pansexual. When explicitly asked about Lando's gender identity by Huffington Post, Kasdan said, "There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee's (portrayal of Lando’s) sexuality."
I really enjoyed the number of prequel references because someone out there is going to be upset by Disney acknowledging their existence.
(05-22-2018, 03:46 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: I really enjoyed the number of prequel references because someone out there is going to be upset by Disney acknowledging their existence.

So if one of the many things I hated about Force Awakens was that it pretended the prequels didn't exist...this movie might make me happy?
Would y'all be interested in...

LANDO: A STAR WARS STORY
written by Donald Glover
directed by Hiro Murai

"I mean, yeah. I think it would be fun to do. It would be cool to see, like, Frasier in Space — like, a high-end guy in space. All of these characters are very specific and they have very specific points of view, so it's always going to be fun to see them traveling around to a planet that is the opposite of what they're used to... And all of that seems like it would be fun to write, for sure."
(05-23-2018, 03:34 AM)justinslot Wrote: So if one of the many things I hated about Force Awakens was that it pretended the prequels didn't exist...this movie might make me happy?

Is that you George?
Emilia is cute!

(05-23-2018, 03:34 AM)justinslot Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 03:46 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: I really enjoyed the number of prequel references because someone out there is going to be upset by Disney acknowledging their existence.

So if one of the many things I hated about Force Awakens was that it pretended the prequels didn't exist...this movie might make me happy?

Oh yeah. Prequel planets and characters are referenced and, y'know... you might see some things and hear some music...
But is he Solo, Han Solo?
home taping is killing music
(05-23-2018, 03:26 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 03:34 AM)justinslot Wrote:

Oh yeah.  Prequel planets and characters are referenced and, y'know... you might see some things and hear some music...

Fantastic.

Technically I'm a Clone Wars lover, not a prequel lover but if you watch the Clone Wars the prequels just become mediocre Clone Wars episodes soooo...I mean, maybe I'll like this. There's at least one cameo that I spoiled myself on that firmly establishes the canonicity of the CW series...
Rebels?
(05-23-2018, 08:47 AM)Felix Wrote: Emilia is cute!

She's a fucking porker who's reaching post-Clueless Alicia Silverstone levels of maximum density with more chins than Chinatown.
(05-24-2018, 04:18 AM)The Freeman Wrote: Rebels?

Ooooh  Freeeeeeeman:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201...over-story

[Image: emilia-clarke-0618-ss03.jpg]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-24-2018, 07:22 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 04:18 AM)The Freeman Wrote: Rebels?

Ooooh  Freeeeeeeman:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201...over-story

[Image: emilia-clarke-0618-ss03.jpg]

The photoshop CGI on her chins/jaw looks less realistic than that of Thanos.
So you guys just kind of put up with CTM over here huh? NO THANKS!
We've been asking for mods to be empowered. Nothing yet.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-24-2018, 11:11 AM)The Freeman Wrote: So you guys just kind of put up with CTM over here huh?  NO THANKS!

No mods to boot him.
This movie's looking pretty good to me.  I saw it a lot back in my late teens and twenties.  Basically every Friday and Saturday night.

https://trouble.city/articles/2018/5/24/...wars-story
(05-24-2018, 06:28 PM)Nick Nunziata Wrote: https://trouble.city/articles/2018/5/24/...wars-story

Concise, film-focused, the type of review you seldom see anymore.

Disagree about TLJ and fans not being "thankful" enough, though.  *cue Jon Hamm screaming "that's what the money is for!"
Just saw it. I'm not sure how spoilers work on the new boards, so spoiler free:

Really liked: the Kessel run sequence; the quite subtle and realistic feelings of resentment between Han and Qi'Ra; the circumstances under which Han leaves Corellia; the abundant prequel references; L3.

It felt like one draft, or one reshoot, away from being great: there're a lot of really cool ideas and characters that don't land as dramatically as you might hope them to. Bettany and Harrelson never quite chew the scenery like I hoped they would, and Enfys Nest is never the surreal, imposing presence the score really wants you to think they are. It's nearly a quite elegant prequel, but they also a-bit-too-openly set up threads for a sequel to explore (too openly because they're not satisfactorily dealt with in the film, and you feel left hanging).

The umpteen 7/10 reviews feel about right.

Also, God bless the filmmakers for making hyperspace fuel the movie's macguffin.