Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) Post-Release Discussion
(05-24-2018, 08:25 PM)rexbanner Wrote: Also, God bless the filmmakers for making hyperspace fuel the movie's macguffin.

[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
One thing I did love, and that doesn't constitute a spoiler: the rule they've apparently decided where any Imperial ships appearing in films set before IV are heralded by the ANH evil fanfare instead of the Imperial March. That's the kind of winky fanservice I want, instead of the 'Ponda Baba in Jedha', 'all hologram chess, all the time' stuff.
(05-24-2018, 08:25 PM)rexbanner Wrote: Just saw it. I'm not sure how spoilers work on the new boards, so spoiler free:

Really liked: the Kessel run sequence; the quite subtle and realistic feelings of resentment between Han and Qi'Ra; the circumstances under which Han leaves Corellia; the abundant prequel references; L3.

And that special cameo at the end?
I thought this was pretty fun and charming. Nothing mind blowing but I had a good time. Without the epic hero's tale of the main series or the heroic tragedy of Rogue One, we're left with a pretty light-hearted adventure in the SW universe, and I'm fine with that. Loved the cinematography but, then again, it was shot by Bradford Young so, of course it looks great.

The cameo in the end made me really confused, chronology-wise, about when this takes place in the series. How spoilerrific can we be WRT this? I ask cuz I think others here may be able to explain this to me.
I have no need for this movie to exist, but if it brings andre back I'm at least marginally less in favor of wiping it from reality.

Edit: oh, wait, andre has been back for a while and it's just in threads I haven't been reading. Never mind, would-be gardeners of spacetime, wipe away!
I'll just say this WRT the cameo: There's a gap of time that's pretty much completely unaccounted for between the Clone Wars cartoon series and their later appearances in the Rebels series, which is where this takes place (Rebels basically takes place starting a couple years before and going until not long after Rogue One/ANH).

As for the film itself: Generally I quite liked it. Loved the deep cuts from the EU (this movie did more EU-canonizing than any that came before it by a country mile). Thought Alden and yes, even Emilia were quite good. Really no particularly weak links for me.

I do agree that it goes a little too much into checking the blocks and filling in details that really could have been left vague. We didn't need to see the Falcon get QUITE so close to its' OT form in just this movie, for example.

I am definitely curious as to what's up with cameo character, and would watch the sequel. I think my only real gripe is that the Enfys Nest character seemed a bit underwhelming.
(05-24-2018, 09:04 PM)rexbanner Wrote: One thing I did love, and that doesn't constitute a spoiler: the rule they've apparently decided where any Imperial ships appearing in films set before IV are heralded by the ANH evil fanfare instead of the Imperial March. That's the kind of winky fanservice I want, instead of the 'Ponda Baba in Jedha', 'all hologram chess, all the time' stuff.

We did get the Imperial March though, at least some form of it.  Just not how anyone expected it.

(05-24-2018, 09:14 PM)andrevellozo Wrote: I thought this was pretty fun and charming. Nothing mind blowing but I had a good time. Without the epic hero's tale of the main series or the heroic tragedy of Rogue One, we're left with a pretty light-hearted adventure in the SW universe, and I'm fine with that. Loved the cinematography but, then again, it was shot by Bradford Young so, of course it looks great.

The cameo in the end made me really confused, chronology-wise, about when this takes place in the series. How spoilerrific can we be WRT this? I ask cuz I think others here may be able to explain this to me.

It has to be at least several years before Rebels, given the plot and eventual fate of that character on that show.

As for the film, I had a great time.  It wasn't epic archetypal storytelling like Episodes VII and VIII and it wasn't the thrilling tangent that was Rogue One.  It was just a solid bit of space opera with two legit great setpieces (the train heist and the Kessel run).  And I think it did a nice job setting up the seedy underbelly of this universe for more adventures to take place.  I particularly liked the grunt-level view of the Empire we got early on.

The cameo caught me by surprise -- I had a couple of characters I was expecting, but not that one.  I'm also glad we didn't get the obvious twist I was dreading with Enfys Nest.

And if you'd been wanting Chewie to be a more substantial character, this is the film for you.  He's a real highlight.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Oh, one not exactly spoiler that I loved: NO BOBA FETT.
My one recurring thought during the movie, Ehrenreich would have been spot-on casting if Han Solo had been played by Dennis Quaid. If there's any need for an Innerspace sequel, they've got their guy.

Kinda fitting because Quaid always seemed like Budget-Conscious-Ford to me.

Really enjoyed this and I'm pretty sure I'd have hated the original version of this. Coulda done with a little less of the referential stuff, but this movie added enough new stuff of its own that it didn't feel weighed down by it (especially after the first 20 minutes or so).

Liked the cameo at the end, but hope to God its leading in to an Obi Wan movie and is never followed up in a Solo movie.
Thought this was a lot of fun. Alden E more then acquits himself and I loved a lot of the creatures (especially worm lady), but I thought Glover was kinda bad in this. It’s very much a SNL Lando, maybe even more of a impression than Karl Urban’s Bones.
I liked it. A lot! It's certainly more my speed than THE LAST JEDI, even though that movie is immeasurably more ambitious.

The pacing's on the uneven side, and the script from the Kasdans I found to be disappointingly unsurprising. But beyond that... I liked pretty much everything else. Ehrenreich may not totally evoke Han Solo for me, but I found him to be a really charming, fun protagonist. The action - particularly the train heist and the actual Kessel Run - felt pretty thrilling to me, too. And the John Powell/John Williams fusion score is absolutely wonderful.

Ultimately, the movie feels like the sort of fun adventure I want STAR WARS to be, so on that level, I'm very satisfied with it!

Also, that cameo is going to be a huge WTF moment for a lot of people.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I was really hoping L3 would be repaired and then they ripped her brains out and made her a permanent part of the ship. That was kinda fucked up. I guess its just her nav system and not really her android consciousness. But y'know, the story from her point of view is a Star Wars Black Mirror episode.

Stop introducing really cool droids, then killing the off. If they made ANH today:

C-3PO: You must repair him! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them.
Luke: The TIE fight blast blew out his central computer...he's beyond repair.

* R2's Noble End plays *
This was a lot of fun! It's certainly not the richest of these films thematically, but it's a good solid time at the movies. And yeah, Ehrenreich was terrific for this younger, more naive version of Han. Wanna have a listen to Powell's score isolated - there were some good bits, though he's not Johnny Dubs.

Even beyond that one thing, there were some ridonkulously deep EU cuts, so those fans are going to go bonkers, though the way that Han and Chewie meet, Han makes the Kessel Run, and Han wins the Falcon absolutely own the old EU version of that stuff happening. Kessel Run was sweet as hell. More later because I have to get to bed, but yeah, fun movie.

And yeah, I kinda love that they skipped over Fett and Jabba cameos for DARTH FLIPPIN' MAUL. Talk about a fuckin' zig-zag of audience expectations there. The audience went absolutely apeshit for that cameo (and gave Ray Park some very nice applause in the credits too, lol).
Boy, I wish I could have enjoyed this movie... but I didn't. I guess I'll say it was average (and with hindsight, The Last Jedi is below average). There were some cool moments yet the story left me dry, I was meh on the lead, the main villain I couldn't have possibly cared less about, let alone think he was effective, I HATED L3-honestly, I would have preferred Jar Jar!-all the plot twists were just lame & obvious, and I might as well have been watching one of the prequels with all the damn references. I am glad I had no expectations for the film, as they wouldn't have been met.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
aw it was cute! I enjoyed that!

I really really dug Alden all around. Not Ford, but his own thing with little flashes for Ford here and there.
SOLO OST

01. The Adventures Of Han
02. Meet Han
03. Corellia Chase
04. Spaceport
05. Flying With Chewie
06. Train Heist
07. Marauders Arrive
08. Chicken In The Pot
09. Is This Seat Taken?
10. L3 & Millennium Falcon
11. Lando’s Closet
12. Mine Mission
13. Break Out
14. The Good Guy
15. Reminiscence Therapy
16. Into The Maw
17. Savareen Stand-Off
18. Good Thing You Were Listening
19. Testing Allegiance
20. Dice & Roll
It wasn't good. It was fine. A very fine movie from top to bottom.
I thought it was fun, but on balance it's probably a worse film than Force Awakens. It's so caught up in the EU fan service that it doesn't really tell an entirely coherent story. We didn't need How Han got his last name AND Han meeting Chewie AND Han meeting Lando AND the Kessel Run AND Han winning the Falcon from Lando all in the same movie. I honestly would've saved the Kessel Run for "Solo 2: Duo." Have it be the first job Han and Chewie do for Jabba, and the one that makes them Jabba's Number 1 Crew. The problem with it in this film is that doing it in under 12 parsecs was less because the Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy than it was them just pumping some nitro into the engine. Presumably any ship can make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs if you inject some raw coaxium into its reactor.
hahahah the fast and furious shot!

NOS!!!

LET'S GOOOOO!

MENAAAAGEEEE!!!!
Very lumpy (and visually murky) first act. I wasn't on board until Chewie showed up.

Thought the music was overbearing. A lighter touch or just doing without would have helped a couple of scenes.

I liked L3 and the whole equal-rights subplot. Plus, now we know where the Falcon picked up that peculiar dialect.

I'm not an EU guy but did I catch something about Beckett killing Aurra Sing?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(05-25-2018, 04:06 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: I thought it was fun, but on balance it's probably a worse film than Force Awakens. It's so caught up in the EU fan service that it doesn't really tell an entirely coherent story. We didn't need How Han got his last name AND Han meeting Chewie AND Han meeting Lando AND the Kessel Run AND Han winning the Falcon from Lando all in the same movie. I honestly would've saved the Kessel Run for "Solo 2: Duo." Have it be the first job Han and Chewie do for Jabba, and the one that makes them Jabba's Number 1 Crew. The problem with it in this film is that doing it in under 12 parsecs was less because the Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy than it was them just pumping some nitro into the engine. Presumably any ship can make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs if you inject some raw coaxium into its reactor.

Looking at the Box Office projections a Han Solo 2 is REALLY stretching it at this point. The movie's four day total on a Holiday weekend right now isn't set to beat Rogue Ones three day total.

As for obscure references I'm 90 percent sure Thandie mentioned Bosk when referencing possible people to hire. (Lizard man bounty hunter from Empire)
TERAS KASI!
Was that the pirate leader?
Watching the film, for a moment I thought the cameo character was youthful-Snoke, and he was going to be set up as a shadowy crime lord.

Another thing I really liked was the Charles Dickens sort of stuff: Han and Qi'ra being street urchins who report to Lady Fortuna; Han not seeing Qi'ra for years but trying to get back to her; the child pirates. Even if the film hit a lot of 'Last Crusade-opening' beats ('Han... Solo', Han meeting Chewbacca, the Kessel Run, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon), there were no sequences that re-tread old set-pieces from the previous films: the Corellia chase, the train heist, the Kessel Run, and the multiple double crosses at the end all seemed pretty original for Star Wars.
(05-25-2018, 04:06 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: I thought it was fun, but on balance it's probably a worse film than Force Awakens. It's so caught up in the EU fan service that it doesn't really tell an entirely coherent story. We didn't need How Han got his last name AND Han meeting Chewie AND Han meeting Lando AND the Kessel Run AND Han winning the Falcon from Lando all in the same movie. I honestly would've saved the Kessel Run for "Solo 2: Duo." Have it be the first job Han and Chewie do for Jabba, and the one that makes them Jabba's Number 1 Crew. The problem with it in this film is that doing it in under 12 parsecs was less because the Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy than it was them just pumping some nitro into the engine. Presumably any ship can make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs if you inject some raw coaxium into its reactor.

[Image: 7114686623_787db8e748_z.jpg]
(05-25-2018, 05:06 AM)freeman Wrote:

Looking at the Box Office projections a Han Solo 2 is REALLY stretching it at this point.  The movie's four day total on a Holiday weekend right now isn't set to beat Rogue Ones three day total.  

As for obscure references I'm 90 percent sure Thandie mentioned Bosk when referencing possible people to hire. (Lizard man bounty hunter from Empire)

As noted in the pre-release thread:  Memorial Day is generally not a great weekend for big box office takes.  It's more of a travel and do stuff outside holiday than a movie holiday.
Which is funny. Why stake your claim on such a weekend? I guess it's the only summer time slot Solo had what with all the competition and they decided to take a risk.
They wouldn't have been in a position to use the coaxium if Han's piloting hadn't gotten them that far in the first place. That was just as big a part of the 12 parsec run as the coaxium.

I wonder if people are taking a "wait and see" attitude with this one, waiting for the word of mouth. My showing last night was pretty full, but it was also the fan appreciation screening, so I would expect that to be a full house.

----------

Good lord, the audience score on RT is 61%.

Ironically, the Star Wars movie that gets really targeted by internet saboteurs is the one critics aren’t raving about.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I think a big part of the turn off for me here is just how incredibly very straight forward everything is. TLJ took risks. Small risks in the grand scheme of things but it was an interesting movie. TFA even though I'm not a fan is a very interesting movie to dissect and look at.

This movie isn't interesting in almost any way. Nothing will surprise anyone.
Given the very active and vocal campaigns by some fans to make sure Solo tanks, I'm not giving the RT audience score any credence at all.

EDIT: Just looked at some of the user reviews, and almost all the one-star reviews I saw were from people who refuse to even see the film.

----------

Well, it took them four movies but they final made one that doesn't suck. Would be interested to see how this would have been with Lord and Miller, as there's comedy moments like Han's captain or whatever getting blown up that felt like they don't quite have the punch they were originally meant to have.

The Kessel Run not being a race seems like a weird direction to go though. I'm not exactly sure why Han's surprised Luke hasn't heard of it given what this movie tells us it is. I'm also not exactly sure how this Han Solo that's going out of his way to help rebels becomes the Han Solo of Star Wars. Isn't this just a few years before Star Wars? He also gets beat someone with a ancient weapon while using a blast, you'd think this guy wouldn't be so down on Lightsaber. Also if this is about all the interaction he has with Lando I've no idea why he thought going to him was a good idea. The movie was fun, would have been even better if it wasn't sidetracked with trying to answer things. Especially things nobody asked the question to. Like how did he get the name Solo? I stupidly thought he got it by being born to someone named Solo...and because it's a Star War kind of thing to name the loner type character something like solo. But this movie just has them pointing out how clever it was by someone just giving him his name in-universe because he's alone. Luckily Kasdan didn't write Star Wars, or that scene would have become really annoying.

(05-25-2018, 05:48 AM)rexbanner Wrote: Watching the film, for a moment I thought the cameo character was youthful-Snoke, and he was going to be set up as a shadowy crime lord.

Another thing I really liked was the Charles Dickens sort of stuff: Han and Qi'ra being street urchins who report to Lady Fortuna; Han not seeing Qi'ra for years but trying to get back to her; the child pirates. Even if the film hit a lot of 'Last Crusade-opening' beats ('Han... Solo', Han meeting Chewbacca, the Kessel Run, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon), there were no sequences that re-tread old set-pieces from the previous films: the Corellia chase, the train heist, the Kessel Run, and the multiple double crosses at the end all seemed pretty original for Star Wars.

That's what I thought too, especially since the voice didn't seem all that different. Was surprised it was Maul, since last we saw him in something that mattered his was cut in half and falling a very long ways down, although after the reveal I remembered hearing something about him being it in. It's a strange reveal to go with, because for a moment it's like: Wait, when does this movie take place?

Han working for space Fagin was kind of weird in how untimely pointless that aspect felt. It's there and over in like a minute then we're on to a talky take on The Driver opening and then they're stuck like that bit from The Man from UNCLE. It also came off kind of funny, because it's like: Ah, little Han Solo lived a Dickensian life as Oliver Twist. Although as it is the movie doesn't to anything with the comedy of that, it's just kind of a thing that's there.

Qi'ra didn't seem very Dickens. She wasn't raised to break men's heart. Would have been interesting if she had been though. Who are the kid pirates?

What are the Last Crusade beats it hits? I mean, how do those things you put in parentheses match up with Last Crusade? What's the Last Crusade version of the Kessel run, or meeting those characters he met for the first time? I was kind of surprised it didn't do a Last Crusade kind of thing with Han & Harrelson, at least in the sense that he's someone he looks up to like Indy did with that random guy. Or do you mean just the general idea of this movie showing where stuff comes from?
Yeah, I think he means the general idea of filling in all these little details to a perhaps-excessive degree.
hahahah there's also someone who goes "didn't I tell you dr jones? NOT TO TRUST ANYOOOOONE??
(05-25-2018, 09:31 AM)Nooj Wrote: hahahah there's also someone who goes "didn't I tell you dr jones?  NOT TO TRUST ANYOOOOONE??

And a mysterious group that starts out chasing/fighting the protagonists, but turns out to not be what they seem.

On a side note, Dryden Vos was kind of a nothingburger, but Bettany does a good job with what he's got. At the very least he manages to pull off that "faux affable" thing quite well. Whether it's Bettany's performance, or the actors around him selling their fear of the guy (or both!) he does come across as highly dangerous.

Was I imagining it or did his scars seem to get more vivid/pronounced when he got angry?