Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) Post-Release Discussion
Motherfucker, you had me at

[Image: Mastersbox.jpg]
(05-25-2018, 09:33 AM)jmacq1 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:31 AM)Nooj Wrote: hahahah there's also someone who goes "didn't I tell you dr jones?  NOT TO TRUST ANYOOOOONE??

And a mysterious group that starts out chasing/fighting the protagonists, but turns out to not be what they seem.

On a side note, Dryden Vos was kind of a nothingburger, but Bettany does a good job with what he's got.  At the very least he manages to pull off that "faux affable" thing quite well.  Whether it's Bettany's performance, or the actors around him selling their fear of the guy (or both!) he does come across as highly dangerous.

Was I imagining it or did his scars seem to get more vivid/pronounced when he got angry?

Yeah - it was a nice, subtle make-up effect to make him alien (along with what looked to be claws on his thumbs) - very low-fi stuff.

I expect instead of Solo 2, we'll see a collection of "Dark Times" films focused on different characters - Lando, Fett, even Kenobi, possibly with Maul's syndicate as a big bad between them, and Han & Chewie will pop up a couple of them.

And I'm not sure what was the wilder EU reference: Teras Kasi or Lando giving a shout-out to Oseon (the location of one of the Lando Calrissian Adventures by L. Neil Smith).
Oh man, I loved the Teras Kasi mention.

I spent so much of Christmas 1997 trying to convince myself I enjoyed that game. I got two PS games that Christmas, Teras Kasi and one of the Marvel/Street Fight games. That was the Christmas I realized, I don't like fighting games. But I still have a warm spot in my heart for Teras Kasi.
Masters of Teras Kasi was so freakin' dumb, and I loved it so much.

For another deep cut:

The planet Han is assigned to during his "Imperial Army" phase is Mimban...the setting of the very first "EU" novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

I can't help but think there's a bit of a subtle joke in this, as Han and Chewie were notoriously missing from that novel.
(05-25-2018, 10:17 AM)jmacq1 Wrote: I can't help but think there's a bit of a subtle joke in this, as Han and Chewie were notoriously missing from that novel.

And I do believe Luke fights an alien in a muddy cell in that too.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Won't be able to see this until at least next week, but bought the score, and enjoying it. Feels like Powell's riffing more on Indy than Star Wars, which I dig. Obviously, Star Wars cues pop up from time to time, but it feels more in spirit with the former.

Aaaand, I just got to Reminiscence Therapy. So maybe scratch that comment?
It's a really fun and aggressive score.

Feels a lot like Powell's work on How To Train Your Dragon and not so much a star war. I liked that difference.

Williams' theme for Han sounded a lot like a more developed version of his theme for Poe.
Another fun nod to the Han Solo Adventures novels: The big crystal skull in Dryden Vos' office is the "Mytag Crystal Skull Masthead of Xim the Despot." An artifact from the "Han Solo and the Lost Legacy" novel.
I also loved the fact that apparently Cthulhoid space nightmares exist at the center of gravitational anomalies in the Star Wars universe.

----------

(05-25-2018, 08:39 AM)simbob Wrote: Qi'ra didn't seem very Dickens. She wasn't raised to break men's heart. Would have been interesting if she had been though. Who are the kid pirates?

What are the Last Crusade beats it hits? I mean, how do those things you put in parentheses match up with Last Crusade? What's the Last Crusade version of the Kessel run, or meeting those characters he met for the first time? I was kind of surprised it didn't do a Last Crusade kind of thing with Han & Harrelson, at least in the sense that he's someone he looks up to like Indy did with that random guy. Or do you mean just the general idea of this movie showing where stuff comes from?

Hah, you're right about Qi'Ra not being very Estella-y, but I was wedded to my 'some stuff's like Oliver Twist' idea and was looking for more things to bolster it.

I just meant that some of the plot elements are a bit box-ticky, and while that's true I mean it more as a (redundant) observation than a slight against the film. And, unlike Last Crusade, Han's boxes are ticked over a few years, as opposed to an hour one afternoon. 

A bit of writing I really liked in the film was the (relatively) subtle way Han and Qi'ra's relationship is played: they get separated, she wants him to go, he has no real choice but to do so, but then, when they reunite, they can't pick up where they left off because A) he still left and B) she's done a lot of shady stuff. 

It's nice and realistic: I don't think there would ever have been a version of the script in which they immediately get back together, but I can easily see a hackneyed version where they reunite and she despises him for leaving Corellia without her.
(05-25-2018, 09:31 AM)Nooj Wrote: hahahah there's also someone who goes "didn't I tell you dr jones? NOT TO TRUST ANYOOOOONE??

The 'thirty hired guns' gag also feels a lot more like an Indiana Jones gag than a Star Wars gag. Echoes of the 'Marcus Brody speaks 30 languages and knows everybody everywhere' bit.
(05-25-2018, 11:25 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I also loved the fact that apparently Cthulhoid space nightmares exist at the center of gravitational anomalies in the Star Wars universe.

I love the duo of lounge singer and Krang
Also: This movie had the first fairly overt reference to sex of any Star Wars film.

Random aside: Speaking with my wife about it after the movie, she found it interesting how they played with audience expectations a bit with Qi'ra. When she's talking about "things she's done" I think my wife was probably accurate in stating most of the people in the audience assume she's basically talking about prostitution (because she's very much portrayed like a victim of human-trafficking up to that point), and while that may factor in to the "bad situation" that Dryden Vos pulled Qi'ra out of, she's really talking about the fact that she's now a space-assassin who has probably killed a lot of people, many of whom might not really have deserved it.

Han is the "good guy" and she knows it, and while she cares about him, and maybe even loves him, she knows that she is very much NOT the "good guy" and never will be. As noted in the film: She's a survivor.

Also as my wife pointed out: There seems to be some aspects of Mara Jade grafted on to the Qi'ra character. Especially given the ending (Before they revealed his voice/face my wife briefly thought the Hologram was the Emperor and it was going to turn out Qi'ra was an Imperial operative).
One of the things I like most about the movie is that Bradford Young's cinematography is so atmospheric and rich that I think it gives SOLO a really unique visual flavor, which pairs - and contrasts - nicely with the tone, which I would describe as very classically STAR WARSy.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(05-25-2018, 11:34 AM)Fafhrd Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:31 AM)Nooj Wrote: hahahah there's also someone who goes "didn't I tell you dr jones?  NOT TO TRUST ANYOOOOONE??

The 'thirty hired guns' gag also feels a lot more like an Indiana Jones gag than a Star Wars gag. Echoes of the 'Marcus Brody speaks 30 languages and knows everybody everywhere' bit.

For better or worse, this is definitely the most purely Kasdan SW film. So you get a lot of stuff like that, but not some of the mythological richness (which wouldn't necessarily have fit this film, to be fair).
(05-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: One of the things I like most about the movie is that Bradford Young's cinematography is so atmospheric and rich that I think it gives SOLO a really unique visual flavor, which pairs - and contrasts - nicely with the tone, which I would describe as very classically STAR WARSy.

It definitely stood out, though I felt like sometimes not in the best ways.  A lot of murkiness due to murky locations, though that IS atmospheric and in keeping with this being a movie set in the seedy underbelly of the Star Wars galaxy.  I did get a chuckle out of the opening sequence and it's fairly traditional "car chase/driving sequence" editing.  And I thought the brighter locations really popped.

Also, I think they recycled a lot of Rogue One props for this (not a bad thing by any stretch).  LOVED the dieselpunk look of the Imperial Infantry.  I know these movies are pretty much obligated to crank out at least one or two new types of troopers for the toy lines but at least they seemed to put some effort into making them interesting variations.
(05-25-2018, 12:20 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: It definitely stood out, though I felt like sometimes not in the best ways.  A lot of murkiness due to murky locations, though that IS atmospheric and in keeping with this being a movie set in the seedy underbelly of the Star Wars galaxy.  I did get a chuckle out of the opening sequence and it's fairly traditional "car chase/driving sequence" editing.  And I thought the brighter locations really popped.

Also, I think they recycled a lot of Rogue One props for this (not a bad thing by any stretch).  LOVED the dieselpunk look of the Imperial Infantry.  I know these movies are pretty much obligated to crank out at least one or two new types of troopers for the toy lines but at least they seemed to put some effort into making them interesting variations.

I like murky! It gives SOLO a more distinct visual personality that I really liked.

You may be right about the ROGUE ONE reuse, but in any case, I'm a fan of the grungier aesthetic on display (which, again, feels more like STAR WARS than certain other recent non-RO films may have felt).
When you think about it, Lando really gets the short end of the stick in this movie. He loses his partner, loses his ship, doesn't even get paid for the job (unless Han threw him some cash from that last game after winning the Falcon). No wonder he sold Han out to the Empire!
I'm sure if we get a Solo trilogy, they'll eventually become buddies.

----------

Yeah, I think there clearly has to be more development of their relationship before they get to where they are in EMPIRE.
(05-25-2018, 02:14 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm sure if we get a Solo trilogy, they'll eventually become buddies.

'What's going on...buddy?'
'You're being put into carbon freeze.'
Yeah, I assume if there's a Solo 2 or a Lando they'll end up becoming friends, but it's still kinda funny how thoroughly Han screws over Lando in this one.
Well, Lando did screw Han in the first game.

----------

(05-25-2018, 02:26 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Yeah, I think there clearly has to be more development of their relationship before they get to where they are in EMPIRE.

At the very least, Han needs to discover that Lando "has no love for the Empire" and his "maneuver at the Battle of Taanab."  Unless we're just to assume they talked about this stuff during their trip.

But I don't know that it'll get TOO chummy.  Han doesn't trust him as of ESB, there's obvious tension, and Han seems surprised by Lando's exuberant/warm welcome.  So it doesn't seem like they were ever besties or anything like that. I feel like if they left them where they end at with this movie, it wouldn't feel too out of place.
I thought Taanab was after Empire?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
after the expectations people had for Lando in the movie, it's pretty funny that he's kinda sidelined through the movie for the most part

(05-25-2018, 02:48 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I thought Taanab was after Empire?

how could Taanab be after Empire if Han was in carbon freeze at the end of that movie?
Isn't it something Lando did that got him made a General? I don't watch Jedi very often.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(05-25-2018, 02:48 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I thought Taanab was after Empire?

It's implied Han told the Rebellion about it (leading to Lando being made a General), so he couldn't have known about it if it happened while he was frozen.

Old EU had it happening a few years before he took over Cloud City, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Apparently the old EU had it happening the same year as the Battle of Yavin.
Gotcha.

So, lazy writing.
The moment you hear Lando speak for the first time, it sounds so much like Billy Dee it's striking.
You just know that Glover's been practicing that voice in the mirror his entire life.
There are times where he sounds SPOT ON

and other times where it feels like parody

and other times where it feels really hammy.

It's a fun performance, but one I found oddly inconsistent in a fun way. A lot of it is because he kinda comes and goes from the plot here and there.

I didn't vocally react much during the movie, but I definitely laughed when Han tries to make an empty threat only to have the Falcon fly away right then.
Glover is to Billy Dee as Ingruber is to Ford.
gasp!!!

I actually don't totally disagree with that.

but always ever inglover

There's a very 'classical' battlefield scene where Glover plays pain and limping as if he were Troy Barnes again. It's an ODD performance!
I think if Glover had just been himself he would have been fine, but the Billy Dee impression really makes it feel like Glover as Lando on SNL instead of any sort of real character.