Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) Post-Release Discussion
even the role as written often feels like a walk on SNL character... because he's not actually in the movie very much
Han says, "Don't look at me, pal, I just told them you were a fair pilot." I never got the impression it was Han who talked up the Battle of Tanaab.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I always read Han's line as him lovingly downplaying how much he praised his friend when he wasn't looking.
(05-25-2018, 06:12 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Good lord, the audience score on RT is 61%.

Ironically, the Star Wars movie that gets really targeted by internet saboteurs is the one critics aren’t raving about.

Curse those internet saboteurs!
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Well, it happening before Lando was in the Rebellion doesn't make a lick of sense...

----------

Who's to say that the Battle of Tanaab was something that featured Lando on the 'good' side?
What happening before Lando was in the Rebellion?

Han recommending Lando?

Or the Battle of Tanaab?
Photo 
(05-25-2018, 03:38 PM)Nooj Wrote: even the role as written often feels like a walk on SNL character... because he's not actually in the movie very much

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
The Battle of Taanab, at least in it’s old EU form, was a battle against space pirates, separate from the Rebel/Empire conflict.

And Lando’s involvement was largely a “wrong place at the right time” sort of thing.
(05-25-2018, 04:01 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 03:38 PM)Nooj Wrote: even the role as written often feels like a walk on SNL character... because he's not actually in the movie very much

are you suggesting that ingruber should've played lando?
(05-25-2018, 04:05 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 04:01 PM)Overlord Wrote:

are you suggesting that ingruber should've played lando?

All the roles.  Even the droids, Chewie, and Q'i'r'a.
I'll go with that

each character played by one of ingruber's arsenal of impressions of famous actors and characters!
(05-25-2018, 04:08 PM)Nooj Wrote: I'll go with that

each character played by one of ingruber's arsenal of impressions of famous actors and characters!

Wait, I have to amend that.

He should play all the roles except for Solo.  Stick with Aldenreich.
This movie will be forgotten in a month.
(05-25-2018, 04:03 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: The Battle of Taanab, at least in it’s old EU form, was a battle against space pirates, separate from the Rebel/Empire conflict.

And Lando’s involvement was largely a “wrong place at the right time” sort of thing.

Yeah, the EU could be really stupid when it wanted to be.  It makes much more sense that Lando was involved in some battle between Empire and Jedi that got him promoted.  It's a lot more likely than being promoted based off of some battle he was in five or six years prior that no one in the Rebellion witnessed.  

"Hey, I scored ten straight hits in paintball my senior year in college."
"Perfect, you're leading the landing, General."

----------

(05-25-2018, 04:11 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 04:08 PM)Nooj Wrote: I'll go with that

Wait, I have to amend that.

He should play all the roles except for Solo.  Stick with Aldenreich.

awesome!

(05-25-2018, 04:15 PM)The Freeman Wrote: This movie will be forgotten in a month.

that's actually not bad relative to how quickly we process through stuff

I mean, it's been about a month since INFINITY WAR... and that feels like long ago already!

I never knew you loved the movie so much freeman!
Let me correct that!

This movie will be forgotten 20 minutes after leaving the theater.

It's suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch empty carbs filmmaking.
But we're all here talking about it over 12 hours after seeing it!
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/...an-fiction
Lord, give me strength: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/...bing-twist
BMD have a weird obsession with Rian Johnson.
but that second piece has nothing to do with rian johnson

unless I missed it?
(05-25-2018, 05:26 PM)shaunh Wrote: Lord, give me strength: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/...bing-twist

They lost me with "L3 is one of the best things about SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY." She left me cold, because she felt like a calculated attempt to one-up K-2 on the personality meter, and the result was a bit off-putting. Her rebellion was kind of goofy in a way I liked, though.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I liked L3's performance a bunch.

Tudyk's performance was more dryly humorous. Bridge gave L3 a more overtly passionate beating heart on top of the attitude. I also liked the clunky design a lot.

I mean, I found K2 to be a pretty calculated attempt to add some dry comic relief to TEMP MOVIE to begin with (even while enjoying him)... so L3 being more of that isn't something I mark against her.

Mostly, I think L3 (and most of the supporting cast) almost all end up coming off underserved because they feel snatched away before their time.
(05-25-2018, 05:49 PM)Nooj Wrote: but that second piece has nothing to do with rian johnson

unless I missed it?

The one linked above it did.
(05-25-2018, 05:58 PM)Nooj Wrote: Mostly, I think L3 (and most of the supporting cast) almost all end up coming off underserved because they feel snatched away before their time.

I'd agree with that up to a point, but ultimately I think I would have rather had Val (particularly) and Rio stick around and receive the screentime that otherwise went to L3.
That would've been fine.

But even that results in all of them dying kinda abruptly
(05-25-2018, 05:54 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 05:26 PM)shaunh Wrote: Lord, give me strength: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/...bing-twist

They lost me with "L3 is one of the best things about SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY." She left me cold, because she felt like a calculated attempt to one-up K-2 on the personality meter, and the result was a bit off-putting. Her rebellion was kind of goofy in a way I liked, though.

(05-25-2018, 06:14 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 05:58 PM)Nooj Wrote: Mostly, I think L3 (and most of the supporting cast) almost all end up coming off underserved because they feel snatched away before their time.

I'd agree with that up to a point, but ultimately I think I would have rather had Val (particularly) and Rio stick around and receive the screentime that otherwise went to L3.

You see to me L3 was funny. She was the only genuine amusement I ever had from a character. Rio for example told a lot of jokes, but he was never anything more than a neat design that wasn't terribly interesting otherwise. L3 left the movie too soon and then it was back to these boring people being boring together. I missed the Guardians of the Galaxy so god damn much. I was begging for Drax.
(05-25-2018, 04:42 PM)The Freeman Wrote: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/...an-fiction

hated this, as it hoves to the "Last Jedi is a masterpiece, only toxic fanboys hates it cause females" bullshit argument, and then extends it in order to claim Solo as a supposed misguided 'course correction.' Typical of the liberal white male woke-overcompensation (I say this as a liberal white male)--all obvious flaws forgiven because it situates itself to a particular political alignment that is rightthink, and must be acclaimed to avoid wrongthink.

Haven't seen Solo yet, but hopefully it doesn't have the pacing issues and lazy screenwriting of TLJ.
Ugh. Stop politicizing Star Wars as a reason to dislike it.
Errrch. The Freeman isn't Freeman??
Freeman is LEGION
I've been listening to the score a lot today, and I really think Powell aced this thing.  All of the action is staggeringly great (rousing fanfares all over the place!), but I think my favorite cue might be this one, which presents the love theme in its fullest form...

It's beautifully old-fashioned in a way worthy of Korngold or Rozsa.

And of course the new John Williams themes are wonderful, too.
I love that Powell's score doesn't often sound strictly like a star war

Powell's work actually reminds me of Masamichi Amano's work on GIANT ROBO (an OVA anime series)... which goes well with your old-fashioned comment since Amano cribs SHAMELESSLY from classical composers, as Williams did for the original star war

Do you enjoy Amano's work, Belloq?
(05-25-2018, 09:57 PM)Nooj Wrote: I love that Powell's score doesn't often sound strictly like a star war

It both does and doesn't, which is great. His theme for Enfys Nest is like nothing I would have ever expected to hear in a SW movie, for example, but he also very respectfully plays with the Williams material, too, while giving us some really fresh spins on those melodies. And he totally goes all the way with the new Williams themes, treating them like they're his own.

(05-25-2018, 09:57 PM)Nooj Wrote: Powell's work actually reminds me of Masamichi Amano's work on GIANT ROBO (an OVA anime series)... which goes well with your old-fashioned comment since Amano cribs SHAMELESSLY from classical composers, as Williams did for the original star war

Do you enjoy Amano's work, Belloq?

I'm unfamiliar, but I will look into it!