Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIFA WORLD CUP - Russia 2018
Seeing Xhaka and Shaqiri flash the Albanian Eagle to celebrate scoring against Serbia was kind of incredible. There was some DEEEEP feeling in that game ... the type of drama you just don't get in non-international sporting contests.

Really nice piece by Raheem Sterling: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...ll-a-dream

"When I was two years old, my father was murdered. That shaped my entire life. Not long after that, my mum made the decision to leave me and my sister in Jamaica and go to England so she could get her degree and give us a better life. For a few years, we lived with our grandmother in Kingston, and I remember watching the other kids with their mums and just feeling really jealous. I didn’t fully understand what my mum was doing for us ..."
Germany got away with a huge one early on. Should have been a penalty kick.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Mexico looks pretty good so far. Can they really go far in this tournament? Someone can correct please if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing that no CONCACAF has ever made it pass the round of 16? If true that doesn't bode to well for Mexico.
That's not true. USA did it in 2002 vs Mexico
Holy shit Germany. Insane.
Kroos isn't going to have to buy his own beers for a while.

Some of these 3rd round games are going to be nail-biters.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I've long wondered why more free kicks aren't taken like that. There's no better way to take a wall out of the picture.
Wow! Hell of a way to win a game, and keep your team from being bounced. Hell of a shot too.

And the Korea goal today was too. Mexico's goals were pretty good and Belgium's were impressive. I don't know if I have a favorite goal so far but good to know there are many nice ones to choose from.
Moreover, the Fox Sports coverage of the Mexico-S. Korea match was fun because they included a bilingual announcer.  I don't know if it was Andres Cantor or not.  

Anyway, it was ideal for me because I am accustomed to watching these kind of games en espanol and not catching the nuances of the play by play or color commentary.

In this game I found the english commentary very educational and did not have to miss the excitement of the goooooal calls.  Flipping channels to Telemudo Deportes happened but wasn't necessary per se.

Well played.
For someone who went into the game without a hard favorite I sure enjoyed Kroos' goal. Sweden was disgusting, especially in the second half. They did not deserve a point in this match.
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
I only watched the Mexico / Korea match, so I don’t have much to say... It’s good to have a group where the end result is not such a firegone conclusion. It will keep the next matches there interesting.

And now... On to England v Panama — which is resembling a back alley beating.
The biggest dick I've ever seen......on a man.
--------------
Keep track of my reviews on Letterboxd - if you want.

Can we maybe get some inverse extra time in this one and wrap it up early?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
The England fan of 45 years in me is happy.

The disillusioned "urgh, nationalism" person in me is conflicted

The realist thinks "so, getting done by Argentina or Germany at some point in the knock out stages"
(06-24-2018, 04:09 PM)Andy Bain II Wrote: The England fan of 45 years in me is happy.

The realist thinks "so, getting done by Argentina or Germany at some point in the knock out stages"

Doubt it’ll be Argentina...

But it might be Colombia judging by how they just showed up to the cup!

Fuerza Cafeteros!

That was GLORIOUS!
--------------

Gotta go for those nations from the Americas still in it: Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina. Like all 4, even though Argentina looks to be the most beatable of the 4, which I never would have predicted.
Oh, I can completely see Argentina getting through, facing the English, the English press wanking all over how this would be our time/vengeance/remember 86 all that, then getting tonked.
Kane's 3rd is my goal of the tournament so far.
(06-24-2018, 04:09 PM)Andy Bain II Wrote: The England fan of 45 years in me is happy.

This is me, except 2 massively trumps 1, and 3 is a fervent hope rather than realism.

So, maybe not me at all then. I do feel I have to suppress my instinct to be happy about England. I think I'm going to aim for enjoying them as a free flowing team much as I would another random minor nation.
It's much easier to see them as a neutral team having not lived in the UK for 13 years, I have to say.
Well I assume that is the end of people taking Russia seriously.
Looks like Diego was back on the chop for that game.

Fucking rough on Nigeria.
Going to be a hell of some Round of 16 games....If Argentina and Portugal win on Sat. we will get a Messi-Ronaldo matchup and the world will implode.
Didn't get to watch much today but I did see the Argentina game winner. I loved the immediate cutaway showing fat old Maradona flashing double middle fingers at someone. Stay classy Diego.
All of the "big" sides look beatable as heck so I'm hoping the trophy ends up in the hands of Uruguay or Belgium or Croatia or ... dare I say it ... Engerland. Greece won the freakin Euros not so long ago. Leicester won the league even not so longer ago.

It's time.
Hello everyone...

This has been an interesting couple of days. We had a crucial game-defining VAR decision happening in two matches, in two different cities, at the EXACT SAME TIME. Makes you wonder.

Russia started out playing against two screamingly bad teams, which Uruguay - in turn underestimated - and so: Russia looked like world champions, and Uruguay looked like a bunch of punks. Then... they faced EACH OTHER. And the truth was clear.

Yesterday... between Maradona’s Snape-like antics on the sidelines, and just the general nail-biting suspense of the whole fucking thing... that was quite something.

And now Mexico begins with a yellow card 3 seconds in!

And later, more Oscar-worthy emoting from Son of Neymar.

Should be interesting.
--------------

Can't believe Mexico could be out if Germany scores and they don't
This is a nutty group. Two wins and they don't make it through?

Wouldn't they still go through with the "head to head" tie-breaker against Germany?

Poor bastards.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
THAT ONE'S FOR NOOJ

That was fucking atrocious football. Congratulations to Loew.
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
Germany noooooo. Hard to feel sorry for them when they when the last one but noooooo. Bottom of the group too, so gross.
Korea ASSASSINATED Germany ...

With a double-tap to the back of the head.

I’m sorry but that was beautiful.

Besides, Mannschaft played like fucking garbage. Put them out of their misery.
--------------

The chance of England winning another WC in my lifetime seems likelier than them hosting it again. Bloody hell.

I was 18 days old in '66. I'm sure I loved it.

So stoked for Sweden given what classless cunts the German coaches were after the Kroos goal against them.
You don't want them to celebrate don't let em score.
Bye cunts.

Everyone's probably sick of this stat already but it really is - and I don't use this word lightly - nuts that of the 5 defending champions this millennium 4 have choked at the group stage. France 02, Italy 10, Spain 14, Germany 18. Only Brazil in 2006 had enough spine and mental fortitude to buck that goofy trend.