Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 College Football Thread
It's getting closer and closer...and it's almost here! Another college football season is upon us! I don't expect any miracle season from Taggart, but I am excited to see a fast-paced offense, and the chance for a bunch of guys to play because they have the talent to play and not just because they're upper classmen.
I'm excited/worried to see how the whole Tua/Hurts saga plays out.
Someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee.

PSN ID: anakinsdad

Only question is who does Alabama play in the National Championship gam and will it be a team I can root for
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Don't know about the whole season but load up on Michigan Week 1 at Notre Dame.
Saw this article: http://faufocus.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2...is-season/

Former FSU QB JJ Cosentino is on that list. Obviously the writer of the article has never seen JJ play. He is terrible. There's a reason he was at FSU for 4 years and only attempted 30 passes.
Former Florida Gators player Lito Sheppard has filed a restraining order against former Florida Gators teammate Jabar Gaffney after Gaffney vandalized his car on Father's Day - https://twitter.com/BenBeckerANjax/statu...4850267137

That's a new one.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Um...Ok then.
This Brett McMurphy Facebook post regarding what Urban Meyer knew about his assistant coach's domestic violence arrests is a handy reminder that Urban Meyer is one of the all-time phones in a sport filled with phonies - https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurph...7522486968
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(08-01-2018, 10:39 AM)Mangy Wrote: This Brett McMurphy Facebook post regarding what Urban Meyer knew about his assistant coach's domestic violence arrests is a handy reminder that Urban Meyer is one of the all-time phones in a sport filled with phonies - https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurph...7522486968
Yeah, I saw that. I still hearken back to my brother-in-law, who could not stand Meyer when he was with UF. But as soon as he took the job with Ohio State (where my BIL was an alum of), he was the greatest coach in the world. And his wife (my stepsister), just can't say enough good things about Meyer, but she's never given a shit about football in her entire life. My BIL also worked as a nurse at a hospital in Ohio where Urban's dad was, and he never ran into him, but the other nurses on duty said he was kind of an ass. He also left out signed photos of himself and Tim Tebow on the table in the waiting room on the floor his dad was on. Ok then.

McMurphy to me is kind of hit and miss. He lives for stuff like this, but he is also quick to grab a headline or a Twitter post and run with it like it's fact.

Lol. Cardale Jones sure doesn't like Urban Meyer. He posted on Twitter after all of this started coming out today about Meyer and OSU, "Funny how life works"
Urban Meyer placed on paid administrative leave.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/...9452771328

Quote:*THE paid administrative leave
Haven't followed this at all, but why the hell do these high profile guys who are essentially football versions of mafia dons protect these assistant coaches, especially when they're more than happy to throw players under the bus the moment they're not useful on the field?

Is this prelude to letting him go, or just waiting to see if it gets so big they have to let him go?
As an OSU alumni twice over and a nominal fan of the team - I don’t really like college sports due to the NCAA and I never have liked Urban - he should have been fired today. I assume that is where this is heading, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Gene Smith and the President of OSU are trying to figure out to what degree they may he liable and if firing Urban will save their asses.
OSU fans are starting to smell like Penn State Fans.
Rather give these coaches a pass because they bring in some Ws
Folks have been comparing this to Tressel getting fired because a bunch of players got free tattoos...that was an NCAA violation, so they kind of had no choice to fire him or face a bunch of bowl bans, suspensions, etc. This one really is on the university itself. These days people get fired for shit they posted on Twitter, and if he was aware of this and covering it up, how the fuck don't you fire him. A friend I was talking to last night about it (and hadn't read the report) was arguing that Meyer could just say his wife never told him about it. And I said, so he's going to throw his wife under the bus? How do you think that will go? And he replied, well, maybe she takes the hit and he keeps his job, and they both still continue to be rich. I think the flaw in that is she also worked for OSU, so I believe that's a Title IX violation if she didn't report, since the coach works for OSU as well. I guess we'll see how they try and talk their way out of this one.
Listened the Rich Eisen show at lunch. He talked to a sports beat writer that covers OSU, and asked what he thought the outcome of this would be. He gave 3 possibilities (1 where he stays and 2 where he leaves), and said he believes it will be 1 of the 2 outcomes where Meyer is gone. Eisen was surprised, and the guy said, as much as Meyer a week or so ago talked about how close he and his wife are, that may be his kiss of death if he tries to go with the "my wife didn't tell me" defense. And apparently new wording in his contract extension says that if he's fired with cause, Meyer gets nothing vs. a $36 million payout if he's fired otherwise.
Apparently while all this was going on last night, the Big 10 Network was showing eight hours of Michigan football.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Meyer now also suspended from his position as Head Breakfast Coach:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ast-coach/

No word yet on who will serve as interim Head Breakfast Coach.
(08-02-2018, 04:44 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Meyer now also suspended from his position as Head Breakfast Coach:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ast-coach/

No word yet on who will serve as interim Head Breakfast Coach.
Will Bob Evans ever get a break?
So what's the feeling on the 3 game suspension? It's amazing what is in the "report"--it reads like a giant excuse rule book for Meyer. The whole bit about him taking meds that sometime give him memory loss is something you would put in a movie and people would say that was a stupid plot point.
My thoughts. 

- the investigation was done to prevent Meyer from being fired. They wanted excuses. 

- Zach Smith is tweeting again. My God.  I'd break his face if I met him. 

- Zach Smiths Lawyer is a giant piece of shit. His tweets are some of the most disgusting things I've seen on Twitter. 

- OSU fans. Saw so many of you attack (rightfully) Penn State when that university gave the middle finger to what's right... and now... you are one and the same with Penn State. Showing the word that... fuck people... fuck morals.... fuck everything... as long as we continue to have a winning football team. 
Seeing the OSU alumni continue to give excuses just makes me despise that program.

I get it that the university loves football for the money. I get that.  But we as people, when it comes to our teams..... are we all willing to throw away what's right because of football? It's a fucking game we are elevating over women and children.
As an OSU alumni, I won’t be watching any football from the school as long as Urban is coach. The report basically makes it clear he should be fired, and then last minute says nah. It’s bullshit.
Wow, way to come out swinging there, Miami.

----------

DragonCon was over, and I told my wife for better or worse, I would be watching the entire FSU game. Well, it couldn't have gone much worse for the offense. Lol. But I didn't expect an 11-1 season, CFP implications, etc. This is a team that struggled last year with OL issues (which still exist) and a whole new coaching staff and a new offense and defense. I look at it like, well, the offense couldn't do any worse, right? And the defense played well after the first 2 drives from VT. And speaking of VT, Bud Foster gets his guys ready like no other, but give me a fucking break with the guys "going down" with injuries every time FSU made a big play. And the ACC refs--well, they're the ACC refs. Looked like they had never called a game before. Yay, college football!
It's going to be a lonnnnng year for the Vols. At least the West Virginia game produced this highlight: Check out the Vols' DE by the right guard. He pancakes the guy, then gets de-cleated on the same play:

Well, FSU won 1 game. And now on to Syracuse, where the nation's rushing leader Eric Dungey (the QB for 'cuse) will probably run for 1000 yards in just this game alone.

The offense did look better, especially toward the end of the game. If they can stop shooting themselves in the foot (and every toe), they might do OK. And the Oline...ugh. Putrid. Almost as bad as the special teams. But, you have what you have at the moment. No signing some FA off the street like in the NFL. So we shall see how the season continues. I feel like Clemson is going to possibly hit triple-digits when that game is played.
Still no call on the UCF-North Carolina game scheduled for Saturday. No way it's taking place in Chapel Hill, but if they're going to play at another site, the Tar Heels need to get out of town today. So unless they've already been talking to a location, I don't see how the game is going to get played. Which would make it two years in a row UCF loses a game to a Power 5 school due to weather.

----------

I think FSU was playing UNC when the hurricane hit a couple of years ago. At the same time, a close friend of my wife's family had her brother pass away, so we were driving into the teeth of it on the way up there. The hotel we stayed at had a bunch of people that were driven out b/c of the hurricane.

(09-11-2018, 11:44 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Still no call on the UCF-North Carolina game scheduled for Saturday. No way it's taking place in Chapel Hill, but if they're going to play at another site, the Tar Heels need to get out of town today. So unless they've already been talking to a location, I don't see how the game is going to get played. Which would make it two years in a row UCF loses a game to a Power 5 school due to weather.

Just saw they are canceling the game, and also the WVU-NC State game as well.
Yeah, hopefully they can find a slot to have the game.

----------

Big upset about to go down in Norfolk as Old Dominion leads Virginia Tech by a touchdown with the ball and two and a half minutes to go. VT's starting QB got hurt in the 4th quarter, but ODU was hanging blow for blow with them even before that. This would be ODU's first ever win against a power conference.

----------

Transitive properties rule: ODU > VT > FSU

Oregon fans should have spent more time worrying about Stanford than worrying about making signs shitting on Taggart. Jesus, I'm still pissed about how Jimbo left FSU in such a dismal state, but Taggart left Oregon stacked with talent and a system. I don't really care about Oregon, but now I hope they lose every game this season in the same fashion they lost to Stanford.
That #1 for Penn State is, like, fast.

And holy shit, thanks to the dipshittery of Bobby Petrino, FSU steals a win from Louisville like they stole it from FSU last year.
Gotta wonder if Swinney just derailed Clemson's season.

----------

When that guy went down for Clemson, I was like, we all knew that was going to happen, right?

FSU opens as a double-digit underdog to Miami. It's been a long time since I had zero idea how this game would go. It looks like with Dickerson back on the OL, instead of setting up the pass with the run, it might need to be vice-versa. Francois looked pretty decent that 2nd half when they just said fuck it, we'll just throw the ball 99.9% of the time. I will be travelling when the game is on, so I guess I'll just catch it later, if it's worth it. Lol.
I love how the same crew that was all "You have to prove it over multiple seasons!" last year when UCF was buried in the back half of the top 20 are rushing Kentucky up the rankings this year.

----------

Hmmm...but what's the difference between UCF and UK? Oh yeah, S-E-C.

Honestly, I'm happy for Stoops. I was bummed when he left FSU, but happy for him as a coach. Glad UK didn't can him like 2 years into his tenure. They may end up 6-6 but at least they are showing some progress. Chad and I talked about it Saturday--there is so much talent spread across schools now, that if you can get that 1 player that makes enough of a difference, you can vault your way up the ladder pretty quickly. FSU thought the running game would be the stalwart for the season with all the experience they have, but they're discovering that the young receivers are the ones making a difference (I think every WR save for Murray and Gavin is a true FR or RS FR). And the underclassmen are out-playing the upper classmen, or at least are more consistent.