Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM Post-Release
Saw it a second time. Still a lot of fun.

The flaws become more obvious and the surprise is gone, but once they get off the island, this film is a blast.

I mean, the Indoraptor smiles cause he's got a devious plan. How can you not love this silly ridiculous film?
Just saw this.

So fucking stupid.

Great fun.
sounds great!
As a person who tends to get caught up by "stupid shit" this will not be my thing, right?
(06-17-2018, 12:02 AM)freeman Wrote: As a person who tends to get caught up by "stupid shit" this will not be my thing, right?

The first one sort of won me over by the end despite being dumb as a bag of spanners but this is just relentless. Nothing takes me out of a film more than a character doing something painfully stupid and the film culminates in the most idiotic decision anyone has ever made.

I remember I had a little tantrum in The Battle of Five Armies thread and I feel the same way here. This just isn't good enough. Why isn't there someone on set saying "No that character is like nails on a chalkboard get rid of him." "No that guy shouldn't get into the cage with the genetically engineered serial killer dinosaur." "Why have you given Toby Jones over sized teeth? He's clearly having difficulty talking."

They even lift (and I mean directly lift) two iconic sequences from the original film as if it wasn't clear enough that this was rubbish.

I'm not a stick in the mud. I can appreciate something daft, but at the same time I know that this can be done without making you feel like an idiot.
I think your appreciation of the film depends entirely on whether you feel the film makes you feel like an idiot or if you just think the film is idiotic, like me.

Speaking of idiotic things, I'm trying to find that pic of a velociraptor in that taming pose surrounded by Chris Pratts.

I'm pretty sure it was done by an English artist who had loads of that kind of stuff on his page, but google seems to be no help.

Edit: 
Never mind, found it.

That's Jim'll Paint it. The man's a genius!
(06-18-2018, 05:01 AM)Shreds Wrote: I think your appreciation of the film depends entirely on whether you feel the film makes you feel like an idiot or if you just think the film is idiotic, like me.

Speaking of idiotic things, I'm trying to find that pic of a velociraptor in that taming pose surrounded by Chris Pratts.

I'm pretty sure it was done by an English artist who had loads of that kind of stuff on his page, but google seems to be no help.

Edit: 
Never mind, found it.

That reminds me of Harlan Ellison's Star Trek:TMP story treatment aboutan alien lizard species changing the earth's timeline so reptilians evolved instead of mammals.
Hell, maybe the JP franchise is heading on that direction.
That, or the Island of Dr Wu and his clonosaurs
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
This movie sucked. But it sucked in a very similar way that Alien Covenant did, in that I kind of like it if only because the dog shit before it was so bad.

Some truly MEAN dino kills in this one. Also plenty of little call back prequely moments that were giving me Solo flashbacks.
Funny you should mention Covenant, because this reminds me a lot more of an Alien film than a Jurassic Park film. With a little bit of nu-Planet of the Apes thrown in for good measure at the end. Not that either of those are bad things, just totally not what I was expecting at all. But I think I'm coming down on the side of liking it. At least it's trying to do something different.

And there's a post-credits scene that's pretty much skippable, as it doesn't really tell you anything the end of the film didn't already tell you.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
That ending btw. It was fucking... Something else.

Also I see that the film is trying to be different a lot... And... IS IT? It's a very Lost World inspired riff to me. That's like saying TLJ was strikingly original when in reality it's an Empire riff with JUST enough originality to largely avoid that comparison.
It IS very much The Lost World to Jurassic World's Jurassic Park.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I haven’t looked at any reactions to this yet, but I’m shocked to confess... I thought this was good!?

At first I found myself enjoying it because it didn’t faff around and literally cuts to the chase - the one quality I respect about JP3. Then I noticed some of the action sequences were quite suspensefully handled (esp. the drowning pod sequence). Then I noticed that there were some elegant and tasteful shot compositions scattered in throughout. Then I noticed that the plotting has proper set ups and payoffs, and that it builds on the thematic points it raises throughout, matbe not deeply, but at least with logical consistency.

I mean it’s just daft b-movie schlock at the end of the day. But even if it doesn’t have the flashes of Spielberg genius and awesome Williams score that The Lost World has, I reckon it’s a strong contender for the not-very-prestigious prize of being the second best JP film. Certainly knocks the last one into a cocked hat.
I mean, there's no way this was better than The Lost World.

Park is the best. Lost World the second. Then three.

Then whichever of the Worlds you prefer.
Even though I hated Jurassic World I decided to see this so I could give my opinion to someone that loves JW; I am sure they'll like Fallen Kingdom, but I sure didn't. Quickly I realized that a dino habitat and theme park built on an island which has a long-dormant volcano... highly illogical. There is plenty of illogical moments throughout, which doesn't include already lifting dumb ideas from JW, but I found it to be incredibly lazy. The two leads I still don't care about. Compounding matters, their new sidekicks of Tumblr Feminist and Feckless Computer Nerd, I both hated for different reasons. Suddenly those one note character nephews of Claire did not seem so bad. Characters act like dumbshits throughout and the villains are Snidely Whiplash buffoons; at least the little girl character was mostly fine (and I was surprised to see that this was her only credit on IMDb) although as already mentioned, a big thing she did wasn't a rousing standing ovation moment for me either.

I am sure most will be more enjoyment out of the movie but when I wasn't annoyed I was just bored by how rote and dull it was. The dino scenes did little to thrill me; the original Jurassic Park I've always loved since I first saw it as a 12 year old in '93. The Last World and III are average but they now seem better as the last two remind me why I avoid most modern Hollywood blockbusters; I'd probably be as annoyed with them as I was with Fallen Kingdom.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
Finally got around to seeing this with my parents and my kids. Lot to unpack.

Collection of random thoughts:

--the haters are nuts. This was solid, great (albeit, stupid) fun from beginning to end. Almost feels like two movies! When the surprisingly entertaining lava chase scenes had worn out their welcome, thankfully we move on to the second feature on the slate, dinosaurs running amuck amongst evil war profiteers and animal slave merchants (take notes Ryan Johnson, THIS is how you film that sort of comeuppance).

--It feels weird to admit, but the most "chills up my spine moment" in the entire Jurassic Park/World canon has to be when evil guy reveals that the little girl is a clone of the Hammond-stand-in's daughter. It's such a human notion to try to recreate a lost loved one .... man, that gave me chills.

--Indoraptor was fun!

--Indominus skeleton was fun!

--I loved the callback to the kitchen cabinet scene from Jurassic Park 1 towards the end of this film, when we see clone girl hiding in the dumbwaiter. Nice.

--A lot of care went into some of the lighting and attack sequences. You can tell when a director is phoning it in, kind of like Spielberg with The Lost World, and with the script he had to work with this director went all out.

--Okay, Wong is just full-on villain at this point. It kind of makes you look back at the original Jurassic Park in a different light knowing that guy is playing god on purpose.

--You're my boy blue! Who didn't feel a rousing cheer in their heart when he came to help out with the Indo Raptor?

--They keep finding creative ways to make the T-Rex awesome. When Starlord leaps through the snapping jaws, I was like "did you see that!" Then Pratt says it on screen! I love it!!!!

You've gotta give the people what they want. I didn't want to spend money to bring my family to the movies only to have Owen never leave his mountain trailer the entire film, then randomly die after a phone call because he strained himself while dialing.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Oh God there's not enough facepalms in the world Ovie.

The most chill up your spine moment in the entire canon was when the totally superfluous little girl character was revealed to something that means almost nothing to the overall story of the movie?  It means NOTHING.

That little girl is the most chills up your spine moment?!  THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC SCENES IN CINEMA!

YOU'RE KILLING ME, SMALLS!
This has to have the dumbest ending in the whole franchise. Worst sidekicks too. We have a woman who seems unaccountably arrogant for a good guy in a series all about being humble and respectful in the face of nature (especially for someone who's never seen a dinosaur and can't do a blood transfusion), a weinie hacker so weinie that it strains credulity he would ever agree to participate in the movie's plot in the first place, and Little Miss I Am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds. No wonder Pratt's so into raptors if the only homo sapiens choices are winners like those.
I'm still avian.
I went into this movie expecting aggressive stupidity, and this movies third act went "Oh yeah? You think you're prepared for me? We'll fucking see about THAT bud!"
I had a good time.
You're so easy.
To really go into how dumb the ending is would be too spoilery. But wow. Impressively dumb. Syfy Originals bad.
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
Spoilers

In the next one Pratt and Howard will be in jail, yes? For all the eaten Californians they are responsible for?

And what was that horseshit about how mankind and dinosaurs must now learn to coexist? They released what, thirty of them? They'll be dead in a week.

Why isn't there someone in charge of these films saying "No the guy shouldn't get into the cage with Indoraptor." "No remove that comic relief character because people will want him to die the second he appears on screen."

The two young characters couldn't die fast enough.

The auction scene was like something from Austin Powers. I only wish they had paid Will Ferrel to don his fez and reprise Mustafa.

Why did they have to get the IndoRex bone sample at midnight during a storm? Could that have waited for morning?

Why would they even consider going to island if it is literally about to explode (not just erupt, explode).

Why does the TRex, during this explosion, apparently choose to save them from another dinosaur then trot away like the island isn't exploding? Why would this animal choose to murder another dinosaur rather than escape? Why must the TRex act as a deus ex machina every time it appears?

Why, when they arrive on the island, does the young woman, after hearing giant footsteps, jump out the vehicle? Why do they then try and recreate the Brachiosaurus reveal? One of the most iconic sequences in cinema?

Why do Rafe Spall and Toby Jones shout their evil schemes at each in a house they know to be occupied?

Why do they insist on having the dinosaurs act like Jason Voorhees in these films? Since when can Dinosaurs smile?

What in the name of God was the plan when Claire aimed the gun at Owen? Just hope he's quicker than the genetically perfected killing machine?

What was the payoff to her being a clone?

It's not good enough. It's fucking appalling.

I need to lie down.
The aftercredits stinger really should've been Dr. Wu shaking his fist and going "I'll get you next time, Owen Grady! Nexxxxxxxttt tiiiiiiime!"
I'm still avian.
(06-22-2018, 12:41 PM)Mike\s Pants 2: Pants Harder Wrote: Spoilers

In the next one Pratt and Howard will be in jail, yes? For all the eaten Californians they are responsible for?

And what was that horseshit about how mankind and dinosaurs must now learn to coexist? They released what, thirty of them? They'll be dead in a week.

Why isn't there someone in charge of these films saying "No the guy shouldn't get into the cage with Indoraptor." "No remove that comic relief character because people will want him to die the second he appears on screen."

The auction scene was like something from Austin Powers. I only wish they had paid Will Ferrel to don his fez and reprise Mustafa.

Why did they have to get the IndoRex bone sample at midnight during a storm? Could that have waited for morning?

Why would they even consider going to island if it is literally about to explode (not just erupt, explode).

Why does the TRex, during this explosion, apparently choose to save them from another dinosaur then trot away like the island isn't exploding? Why would this animal choose to murder another dinosaur rather than escape? Why must the TRex act as a deus ex machina every time it appears?

Why, when they arrive on the island, does the young woman, after hearing giant footsteps, jump out the vehicle? Why do they then try and recreate the Brachiosaurus reveal? One of the most iconic sequences in cinema?

Why do Rafe Spall and Toby Jones shout their evil schemes at each in a house they know to be occupied?

Why do they insist on having the dinosaurs act like Jason Voorhees in these films? Since when can Dinosaurs smile?

What in the name of God was the plan when Claire aimed the gun at Owen? Just hope he's quicker than the genetically perfected killing machine?

I need to lie down.

Will the little girl clone be in jail? I'd love that.

Pratt and Howard did nothing. The kid'll get off with a slap on the wrist.

Why? Cause it's fun.

Quote:That's Jim'll Paint it. The man's a genius!

Agreed. Let that man direct a Jurassic World film.

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/
This series has made it EXTREMELY clear from the first film that the majestic beautiful dinos are all herbivores, and the carnivores are quite simply absolute monsters. That Rex is TERRIFYING. When it was rampaging around in The Lost World eating people it was terrifying. Blue running around is even scarier. Imagine The Big One from the first movie running down the street from Poltergeist. KILL THESE MONSTERS.
I'm trying to avoid reading any spoilers but I'm almost ready to see this tremendous piece of horseshit-looking thing. I mean, I'm expecting to hate it but can't wait to see what insane stupidity this ending has in store for me. It's like planning on seeing a fireworks show and hearing that there's a chance that hot lava will be thrown at the crowd. I'm trying to judge how close to the launch platform I think I can afford to get.

I need to lie down.

"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Was Claire even in the room when they demonstrated the whole laser sight gimmick? Because I was pretty sure she wasn’t. In which case it makes no sense she should know to do that.
I think Claire, Owen and Maisie were watching from above through those bars or whatever.
I... do not recall that. My memory is Pratt showing up with head-buttosaurus, but no surveillance prior to that. Weren’t the two of them still imprisoned during the whole demo?

Or was I just catatonic at that point?

Edit: Just read the Wikipedia plot synopsis and I guess my friend and I just zoned out during the bit where they witnessed it.
I still don't understand what her plan was. I thought she was turning on Pratt.
(06-23-2018, 04:37 AM)The Freeman Wrote: I still don't understand what her plan was.  I thought she was turning on Pratt.

Pratt's awesome dino dodging skills are set up in the scene where he uses the dino to break out of jail.

Don't worry, it took me two viewings to figure that out as well.

I need to lie down.

Your questions and issues are absolutely 100% valid.  I, too, wish these films were populated with smarter characters and made by smarter people. That said, I have to just tell myself "this is a live-action cartoon" and try to go with it.  I do the same thing at work.  It's largely how I get through life.

- Pratt and Howard will never go to jail, and nobody who witnessed the event will ever fink on them or the girl.  They could blame it on Bad Guy or Ted Levine and nobody would ever question it.  And if anyone ever dusted for fingerprints, would Maisie's fingerprints just be her cloned mother's fingerprints anyway?  (Tosses script in air... "Whatever.")

- Nobody is in charge (or cares to be) except Spielberg and Marshall and they seem pretty hands-off creatively, when they wanna be.

- Spot on about the rain sequence thing.  I kind of wish someone old-school with a legit sense of humanity and character like Friedkin or Mamet would make one of these things and be given Final Cut, just to see what would happen.

- T-Rex and Brachiosaur:  This movie and JURASSIC WORLD cop scenes and even shots directly from JP and TLW constantly.  I counted something like nine times off the top.

- Toby Jones' fake teeth deserve their  own screen credit.  And I kind of loved them.  His mannerisms reminded me of someone, though I can't quite place who.  Maybe Zorg from THE FIFTH ELEMENT, crossed with George W. Bush and William F. Buckley Jr.  Hard to nail down.

- The clone payoff will probably play out in JURASSIC WORLD III.  Or it had at least damn better.  I want her to also have Dino DNA, too.  She could grow up to be the next Dino Whisperer and become Commander of all Jurassic Planet!

- Claire sure made that gun bullshit up on the spot.  Speaking of which, you laser target something and then you send the kill signal, right?  So what if you lasered and signaled, like, a plane over the ocean?  Would the Indoraptor just chase the plane until it drowns?  Problem solved!

- You're right.  It's not good enough, at least in terms of being a real film with real characters.  I had to accept it for what it was, a big budget b-movie, and move on.  These have their place, too, I suppose.  Though, yes, smarter is always better.

If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager.
Third act saved it. Was great when it was a flat out monster movie. The Jurassic Park stuff, not so much.

My kids were inconsolable when the Brontosaurus was left on the pier