Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM Post-Release
I was so happy at that moment. I was like "Yeah natural selection baby. If you were so good maybe you'd learn to swim, bitch."
I had fun with FALLEN KINGDOM, but I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed by it. There's some great action in the first act, but it's marred by some truly atrocious character writing and plotting, then the movie bogs down in the midsection before recovering in a major way for the last half hour, which I thought was a ton of (admittedly silly) fun.

The characters overall just didn't work for me at all in this, save for Owen (who is only worth a damn because Chris Pratt is such a charm machine) and Maisie (who feels like something Michael Crichton might have eventually created in another genetics-based story); the villains fare particularly badly, being essentially full cartoon caricatures. Contrast that with the first JURASSIC PARK, where everybody (except maybe Nedry) feels like a plausibly real human being.

I also found it very curious that the movie's premise seems to be at-odds with the thematic thrust of the entire franchise that has come before (that dinosaurs, though magnificent animals, should have remained extinct). The movie asks us to care about Claire's change of heart and dedication to the dinos, but her goal is absolutely absurd.  Even more curious is that the movie tries to have it both ways by bringing Ian Malcolm back to explicitly state that saving the dinosaurs is a bad idea... but then the script wants us to be invested in that anyway.

But almost everything involving the dinosaurs themselves is great, and I loved the funhouse ride vibe of the third act, as goofy as it is.  I'm still on board for another movie.

Some specific thoughts...

- Almost all of the humor falls flat.  And it's the particular brand of humor in FALLEN KINGDOM that is the problem, not the presence of humor in and of itself. JURASSIC PARK has humor, but it is totally organic to the characters and it never, ever (EVER) undercuts the suspense or the scares. The humor in FK frequently does that -- I point to just about every moment involving the timid tech guy as my evidence; he conforms to the old trope of the "guy out of his element whose fear and screams are used for laughs," and every attempt at humor at his expense undermines what should otherwise be intense sequences.  I never need to see that character type in a movie ever again.

- Great to see lots of new dino species, though I wish we got to spend more time with them.  In the past, it felt like each species sort of got its own setpiece of sorts, but here they're just kind of all over the place.  The sequence where the Stygimoloch plows through the auction while Chris Pratt brawls with henchmen was pretty great, though.

- That moment with the Brachiosaurus on the shore as the boat is leaving is the one truly spine-tingling beat of the whole movie.  I was impressed by how well that was handled, and how affecting I found it to be.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
In the interest of fairness I will too admit that the brachiosaurus calling out to them was legitimately terrific.
I agree with most of the general criticisms of the movie, but I fall on the side of having fun with it anyway.

The villains were terrible, like the Trump administration of movie villains, somehow having mostly succeeded in completing a basic evil plot (until the heroes arrive) despite being grossly incompetent. The hunter guy was especially a waste on that front. The actor clearly could have carried a little more but never got anything resembling a badass moment and then went out like an idiot.

So the old rich guy uncovers the evil plot and... asks the mastermind politely to call the police on himself? Really?

The movie also very much suffers from ‘why didn’t they just kill the heroes’ syndrome. Twice, actually. There was no reason for the mercs not to have killed everyone instead of just abandoning them on the island (and they had Dino’s AND a volcano around for an easy ‘last minute save’) and when they were recaptured, Mills has already murdered Lockwood and turned that corner. There’s absolutely no reason to keep them alive.

I did really like Maisie, up until the ending. The ‘reveal’ isn’t really relevant to the plot but she nicely balanced ‘hyper-confident movie kid’ with a realistic level of terror and dumb kid logic, like hiding in her bed from the Indoraptor because that’s where kids feel safe. Then the ending happens and I’m like, ok this kid probably just sentenced at least a few dozen people to death.

If they wanted the dinos loose, just have a human character (Maisie?) get trapped in with the dinos and they decide to let them all out rather than let her die. At least then it’s slightly less wildly irresponsible. I just can’t really get behind presenting as a ‘heroic ending’ what is essentially the same event that was the start of the third act disaster in Lost World - a T-Rex on the loose in a populated area.

But the action was well shot and entertaining, so I still enjoyed myself.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Weirdly, the brachiosaurus moment was the one time for me where I questioned the movie's logic. Cause I'm pretty sure almost every animal presented with the options 'perish in lava' and 'jump into water' will jump into the water. Regardless of if it can swim.
(06-24-2018, 07:16 AM)superlaser Wrote: The hunter guy was especially a waste on that front. The actor clearly could have carried a little more but never got anything resembling a badass moment and then went out like an idiot.

I could not believe the way the film orchestrates this character's death. So stupid! A person behind me in the theater actually said under his breath, "Why's he going in there?" I was asking myself the same thing.

(06-24-2018, 09:47 AM)Shreds Wrote: Weirdly, the brachiosaurus moment was the one time for me where I questioned the movie's logic. Cause I'm pretty sure almost every animal presented with the options 'perish in lava' and 'jump into water' will jump into the water. Regardless of if it can swim.

Probably, but it's a much better visual moment to have the animal consumed by smoke and flame.
The whole cinema groaned when the guy got in the cage.

Also at his "nasty woman" comment. I don't think any of the humour landed at all.
(06-24-2018, 01:57 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: - That moment with the Brachiosaurus on the shore as the boat is leaving is the one truly spine-tingling beat of the whole movie.  I was impressed by how well that was handled, and how affecting I found it to be.

(06-24-2018, 04:10 AM)Mike\s Pants 2: Pants Harder Wrote: In the interest of fairness I will too admit that the brachiosaurus calling out to them was legitimately terrific.

I'll agree.  I felt that.  Probably the single most effective moment.

Love to see a deleted scene with Brachy using four discarded boats as floaters and his/her tail as an outboard motor.  "It's cool, guys!  I'm fine!"
The "nasty woman" comment was proof positive that the Great White Hunter villain at minimum was meant to inspire thoughts of Trump.

The girl hiding under her covers was weird. It worked a nice Nosferatu spooky scary moment, and the logic tracks that if she's THAT terrified she'd go to her comfort zone and not use her brain so well. But then literally seconds later once Blue distracts the thing she's jumping around like a monkey telling Chris Pratt what to do like she's this fearless leader who can scale tall buildings in the rain in the dead of night no problem.

It's the JJ Abrams problem where character cohesion and consistency of any kind absolutely DOES, NOT, MATTER when compared to whatever the scene wants to get done in the moment.
(06-24-2018, 03:20 PM)The Freeman Wrote: The "nasty woman" comment was proof positive that the Great White Hunter villain at minimum was meant to inspire thoughts of Trump.

There was a line in the ticker at the bottom of the screen during the BBC scene that read something like "President questions whether dinosaurs even exist."  I laughed at that part.
Had a total blast with this big dumb movie. Totally love it.

If I had one complaint it was that this one didn’t really seem to have the “awe and wonder” moments that the other 4 did. They tried when the vet got out of the truck to look at the Brachiosaurus but it didn’t really work...for me any way.

The Brachiosaurus bit at the dock was really well done.

I do think that the girl has some Dino DNA in there somewhere. The Indo Raptor was almost too locked into her and the way they zoom into her eye at the end there. Similar to the way the zoomed in on Blue and the TRex.

I thought it was pretty clear that Claire knew what she was doing with the Indo Raptor gun. She could see the glass wasn’t going to support the Dino’s weight. So she pointed it at Owen, knowing it would break thru trying to get to him.

So does Site B no longer exsist? The place from Lost World and JP3. Seems like if it does that would be a natural plot to mine for JW3.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Why not just aim the laser at the glass? Why endanger your ex?

Another thing. Trevorrow claims that all the JP movies are in canon, so Isla Sorna exists. It's canon.

So why not just ship all the dinos across over to Isla Sorna...?
(06-24-2018, 06:27 PM)freeman Wrote: Why not just aim the laser at the glass?  Why endanger your ex?

Another thing. Trevorrow claims that all the JP movies are in canon, so Isla Sorna exists.  It's canon.  

Maybe she thought it had to be pointed at a moving object not just a wall.

I guess Isla Sorna just isn’t a viable place to move them there...for...reasons.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Maybe because they know the Spinosaurus will fuck up EVERY SINGLE dinosaur!!!
(06-24-2018, 06:27 PM)freeman Wrote: Why not just aim the laser at the glass?  Why endanger your ex?

Another thing. Trevorrow claims that all the JP movies are in canon, so Isla Sorna exists.  It's canon.  

They mentioned that the laser causes the raptor to 'lock on' to the target's heartbeat, I believe. It's not like a cat going after a laser pointer.

As for Isla Sorna, who knows? Given that the plan just requires the bad guys to pretend to be moving the dinosaurs somewhere suitable, where they're pretend-going is a nitpick.

(A plot hole would be why it's such a big deal for the Jurassic World dinosaurs to 'go extinct' if the Isla Sorna dinosaurs are still fine. I guess maybe they recaptured the Isla Sorna dinosaurs to populate JW in the first place? Who knows, besides Barry.) 

(Also, did Rafe Spall really expect to conduct a dino-auction without James Cromwell, Clone High, the nanny, or any of the other household staff noticing anything? That mansion really had not only a state-of-the-art lab but room for a full-on dinosaur zoo in the basement? He couldn't just bring the rich guys onto the boat and have them bid for the dinosaurs there? Why use the frighteningly insecure lab in the basement; surely all that equipment is out-of-date after ten or twenty-odd years? And if they upgraded the equipment, then surely someone noticed that.)
I always get the feeling [Boone Daniels] is one of those guys who talks for four hours about how much he respects women, and then it comes out that he sends pictures of his dick to sixth-graders.
(06-24-2018, 07:14 PM)thecooleravian Wrote: (Also, did Rafe Spall really expect to conduct a dino-auction without James Cromwell, Clone High, the nanny, or any of the other household staff noticing anything? That mansion really had not only a state-of-the-art lab but room for a full-on dinosaur zoo in the basement? He couldn't just bring the rich guys onto the boat and have them bid for the dinosaurs there? Why use the frighteningly insecure lab in the basement; surely all that equipment is out-of-date after ten or twenty-odd years? And if they upgraded the equipment, then surely someone noticed that.)

*Cut to James Cromwell* “Who are all those people on my lawn...?”
Re: Isla Sorna...

It is REALLY a strange choice to not have that be the place they're moving the dinosaurs to. It's still "canon," everything that happened in THE LOST WORLD and III happened in this continuity, and supposedly the backstory is that all of the dinosaurs on that island were transported over to Jurassic World when the park opened. So theoretically, that island should still be inhabitable.

Clearly the reason Sorna wasn't suggested was because the filmmakers wanted the dinosaurs on the mainland, so had to contrive a scenario to make that happen. The result is some not great writing.
Here's what's up...

https://movieweb.com/jurassic-world-site...sla-sorna/
A reskinned Resident Evil. Through the first half I kept expecting to there to end up being some sort of doomsday virus unleashed by the end.
Aka Dino Crisis.
I only played the second Dino Crisis. I don't recall it having much in common with RE.
Dino Crisis 1, the game most people remember so fondly, is a straight up Resident Evil clone with an enemy type swap.

Maybe don't watch this if you, uh, liked the film...

I went in to this movie at first expecting to grit my teeth and nitpick my way through it, and at the end of the first act, when i got verklempt at the dinosaur on the docks, I realized it was actually working for me. Then I spent the rest of the movie waiting for it to all fall apart in the mansion, as *every* critic I follow complained about... and it just never happened for me. Kept on enjoying it through the end.

It's predictable, the villains are as cartoonish as they've ever been, but - this is the movie JP2 should have been.
To seriously suggest that this movie is the movie The Lost World should have been is staggering to me.
I’m not even comfortable saying this is the movie JURASSIC PARK III should have been!
"Don't go into the tall grass!" is a better moment than anything in this movie.  Tall grass even beats the dino on the dock, which is arguably the best scene in this movie.  

The extended scene in the trailer with the baby Rex and subsequent consequences of that sequence is a thousand billion times better than ANYTHING in this movie could ever hope to be.
somewhat to my surprise, Chaw liked this one:

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2018...ngdom.html

I had my interest piqued slightly when I found out Bayona was making it but when it came out and there was a throng of reviews stating that it's about even or just marginally better than the first Jurassic World, which I detested, I lost interest again (that and none of the promotional stuff had done much for me).

but this review and some of the reactions in here have me curious again.

then again, Chaw's good for at least one such review like this a year, that one blockbuster that most critics don't like that he gets on board with when he's typically pretty critical of most blockbusters, moreso than your average critic. he championed The Lone Ranger, for instance, which I eventually watched and hated.

so, yeah, I'll probably see this! when I can get it from my library!
the empire never ended
I havent seen this, but I'm certain The Lost World is a better movie than this. 
Why?

The Lost World has Pete Postlethwaite as Roland Tembo, and every single moment with him in it is solid gold.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
I've been loving the semi-reappraisals of THE LOST WORLD that have been happening over the last few years. I liked FALLEN KINGDOM on balance, but yeah... even its best sequences are a couple of tiers below the setpieces from TLW.
Wince-inducing gymnastics sequence aside, I've never understood the vitriol thrown at TLW. No, it's not Jurassic Park but nothing else is going to be (until we reach the next huge breakthrough in visual effects; likely some kind of immersive holographic experience). It's fuck-ton of FUN, though, and features humans we can root for and humans we can root against. Which puts it light years ahead of JPIII.

Plus the T-rexes vs. the trailer sequence is an all timer, and features Prime Goldblum ("Mommy's very angry").
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Goldblum getting increasingly frustrated with the woman on the radio before the attack is a wonderful bit of levity before the intensity ramps up again.
I'll say it again about TLW, Schiff and the Rex pair is the only time in any of the films where you are legit horrified by the presence of a dinosaur. I still think the image of Schiff kicking at the teeth was Spielberg riffing on Quint's death in Jaws.
(06-26-2018, 12:16 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Wince-inducing gymnastics sequence aside, I've never understood the vitriol thrown at TLW. 

You don't "understand" the many, many thorough discussions that have been had on the perceived faults of TLW, or you don't agree with those discussions?
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
It can be both things!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear