Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread
(06-13-2018, 04:32 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Right, I'm just pointing out that, per your last post, you're not "the only one" who enjoyed the trailer.

Fair enough.  Just kinda bummed at the negativity.  I'll leave the thread and sulk elsewhere.
(06-13-2018, 02:53 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Without talking animal characters, how does this version get to "Pink Elephants on Parade"? Does the little girl get Dumbo drunk?

Dumbo accidentally drinks some beer (maybe some of it spills in his water trough, maybe he goes exploring and gets curious), and then your sequence starts.  And I bet you anything that's where the animals will talk (Dumbo hallucinates Timothy in the ringmaster outfit, for example).
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I'm negative about the concept, I will admit. But the trailer wasn't bad, and Eva Green and Colin Farrell are two of my favorite things. So I'm still negative, but wanted to support your positivity.
I'm not Avery.
(06-13-2018, 04:27 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Criticism is one thing.  Plenty of people are in FUCK THIS SHIT mode in the thread already, though.  That's their right, but man.

I'll cop to that. I think I have two solid reasons:

1. Burton's output for the last 20 years. It's become progressively worse and tepid.

2. The entire strategy of Disney to retell the exact same stories using "live action" instead of 2D (and in many cases of these films, there's barely anything live about them).

Dumbo itself has a sweet, excellent core story (deeply problematic racial elements removed). And really that parenthetical content is the only reason this film needs to exist.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Sweet, excellent core story of a baby being abused constantly for an hour until it turns out he has abilities that can be exploited.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
.....and?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

How far are you into my essay?

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

(06-13-2018, 06:13 PM)barty Wrote: Sweet, excellent core story of a baby being abused constantly for an hour until it turns out he has abilities that can be exploited.

I actually agree with Bart.  The core story of Dumbo is unpleasant, painful, and downright nasty for most of the running time.   The finale and resolution is neither sufficiently satisfying nor cathartic given what has taken place in prior scenes.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(06-13-2018, 06:16 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: How far are you into my essay?

How much Deadwood have you watched, hooplehead?

Also, in my defense, it's been at least 15 years since I've seen Dumbo. I'm speaking from impressions formed during exhausted parent mode.

Yeah, I don't have outright hate for these projects, I just don't find them interesting. Cinderella was a slog to get through. A nice-looking slog but still a slog. Out of all these remakes, the one I liked the best was Pete's Dragon but the only direction they could go with that was up. The original is...not good.
(06-13-2018, 06:21 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 06:16 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: How far are you into my essay?

How much Deadwood have you watched, hooplehead?

Also, in my defense, it's been at least 15 years since I've seen Dumbo. I'm speaking from impressions formed during exhausted parent mode.

If you watched the Mikey video I posted, and then read my essay, you would know.

The only live action (sorta) Disney remake I've found worthwhile was Jungle Book.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Let's admit, though, that a board full of middle aged white guys is maybe not the target audience for these movies.
home taping is killing music
Speak for yourself, grandpa.
You can have my spot in the most desired demographic when you pry it from my dead, cold hands.

They had me at "Batman Returns reunion."