Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR TREK: PICARD (CBS All Access)
"The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been heating up. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f...se-1104232

Make it so!
Oh hell yes.
would love to see Stewart as Picard again.
If this new show goes beyond VOYAGER than I'm all for it.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I hope the season is Picard retiring from Star Fleet and taking over the family farm. At night he performs one man Shakespeare shows.
The idea of just Stewart returning sounds a lot more promising than the often fan proposed TNG reunion. I guess the cast can make an occasional guest appearance, but the idea of Picard having to play up against a different cast sets up a promising new dynamic.
"The new Star Trek will star Patrick Stewart" is definitely the best distraction they could've asked for from "the new Star Trek will be run by Alex Kurtzman."
Star Trek Nemesis still gonna be canon?
(06-19-2018, 06:03 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Star Trek Nemesis still gonna be canon?

I was thinking the same thing, but with the whole Star Trek Online post-TNG canon. I’m not particularly attached to any of that but a lot of the hardcore Trekkies are. 

Are we sure this is a sequel/season 8 and not a Kelvin timeline altered TNG remix?
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
It wouldn't really matter whether NEMESIS is kept canon or not, because so much time has passed since then anyway. By this point the crew would have gone their separate ways, so that makes it easy to just focus on Picard.
Stewart returning as Picard would be a must-watch.
I'd be fine if they threw out Nemesis, but I think Trek fans would explode.

Really, I'd just want Data back and I'd be cool with ignoring his Nemesis death.* Also, the Enterprise-E is being repaired or Riker has it, so they gave Picard a refitted Galaxy class ship to tool around in. Make it so.

*Let some comic book writer explain that he was transported away at the last minute by a cloaked ship and spent a few years as a Romulan prisoner or something.
I'm probably the only one who would want to see them keep their post Generations uniforms..
From what I hear, CBS can't directly acknowledge stuff from the movies. So anything set after Nemesis or the flashback in Trek '09 would have to dance around acknowledging Data's death or the destruction of Romulus.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I also have a hard time believing Spiner would be up for the grueling makeup again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Picard is the best ST character, imo, so this is really exciting news.
(06-19-2018, 09:07 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I also have a hard time believing Spiner would be up for the grueling makeup again.

He’s the one that wanted Data to die in the 1st place so I doubt he’d be up for a return.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(06-19-2018, 07:10 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: From what I hear, CBS can't directly acknowledge stuff from the movies. So anything set after Nemesis or the flashback in Trek '09 would have to dance around acknowledging Data's death or the destruction of Romulus.

I'm not sure it's that strict. From what I understand, they wouldn't be able to do something like recreating the uniforms and sets from the films. Given the amount of time that has passed, they could strike a totally different look for whenever the show would be set. DS9's final season doesn't even look like it belongs in the same universe as TNG's first season, and there was only a 12 year difference.
Haven't seen NEMESIS in a long time and I'm not looking to rewatch. What happened with Picard that would get in the way of him being on a new show?
When it comes to the Picard character, NEMESIS is pretty inconsequential. He's arguably no different in that film than he was at the end of "All Good Things".
But Data’s dead. Or original Data is dead and he’s been reborn as Baby Data, or somesuch absolute bullshit.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The whole CBS/Paramount thing has turned Star Trek into such a clusterfuck.

I don't know if this show is really such a good idea, but I'm not averse to it just because Nemesis was such a sour note to end TNG on. At least there's a chance this could put a slightly more appropriate coda onto it.
(06-19-2018, 09:37 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 09:07 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I also have a hard time believing Spiner would be up for the grueling makeup again.

He’s the one that wanted Data to die in the 1st place so I doubt he’d be up for a return.

I think Nemesis was written by a friend of Spiner (John Logan) and they only killed him after creating a replacement to give Data big heroic moment. There's also an interview from 2006 where Spiner says he and Logan were going to reverse the death in a sequel. Like they use time-travel to snag Data at that moment because they need his help with whatever the new threat is. https://trekmovie.com/2006/09/29/sirtis-...have-been/.

Anyway, sounds like he'd be game for returning. Give him some of that cool Borg skin from First Contact, explain that that's the reason he's aged.
If they wanted to spend the time and money, they could do that nifty de-aging CGI that's all the rage now to make actors look younger for flashbacks or evil younger clones and whatnot, so that we could get young perfect data again.

Either that or have a bit of dialogue explaining that Data has chosen to cosmetically age himself to match his peers. That'd probably be easier.

Or a middle ground, be like Odo and have Spiner wear prosthetics to smooth out his face.

The challenge any actor must face when playing an immortal, never changing character.
Git' in under mah belly!
Or just don't bother to mention it, because we all know he's older and that's why he looks different.

Or don't include Data! No one from TNG but an occasional Frakes.

I'd watch a whole series about Old Riker, actually.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Seems easy enough to tell a story about an almost 20-years-older Picard without the rest of the TNG crew. They'll have moved on to other positions, presumably, as a man bordering on 80 would surely have retired from Starfleet by now.

Kirk was being forced into a desk job at around 50 and then had the Enterprise taken away from him in his mid-60s!

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

The first question with any potential, new Star Trek series should be "Would this money and time be better spent funding a USS Callister spin-off?"

Anyway, they live forever in the fucking future. Bones was like a billion, wasn't he?
home taping is killing music
All right Trekkies, fill me in on when your standard Starfleet officer retires in TNG times. Because Generations has Kirk forced out in his 60s, but obviously a lot would change a century later.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Retirement

"In 2270, the Federation Starfleet had a policy of mandatory retirement set (for Humans) at age 75. When, in 2270, Commodore Robert April proved that he was still very much capable of commanding a starship at 75, Starfleet reviewed his appeal to have his retirement delayed. (TAS: "The Counter-Clock Incident") The policy was apparently rescinded by the time of the launch of the USS Enterprise-D, as Leonard McCoy was still a Starfleet admiral at age 137. (TNG: "Encounter at Farpoint")"
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I always took Bones to be a retired admiral by TNG, that he was only touring the new Enterprise just to give it a look, nothing official.

(06-20-2018, 09:54 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: All right Trekkies, fill me in on when your standard Starfleet officer retires in TNG times. Because Generations has Kirk forced out in his 60s, but obviously a lot would change a century later.

That's the thing that bugged me about GENERATIONS. In TUC, there's no talk of Kirk retiring. It's all about Enterprise-A's final voyage before being put in mothballs. After that film, you're left to believe that the crew split up and moved onto different assignments, and Kirk is likely to command a different ship. He would basically be where Picard is at the beginning of TNG, an experienced captain commanding a new ship and crew.
Finding out a few years ago that Generations takes place like weeks after TUC really, really pissed me off. TUC being one of my favorite original crew movies, goddamn Generations tainting it!

Is it weeks? I always knew it was the same year, so I tried to be generous and assume there were a few months in between, to account for the fact that there's immediately an Enterprise-B (which I have to assume was going to be named something else before Starfleet wanted a big PR thing).
Isn't Bones officially inspecting the Enterprise in Farpoint? That makes me think he'd have to be part of Starfleet, rather than a ceremonial role.

Also:

"McCoy's promotion to Captain, while never seen on screen, has been stated in non-canon publications as having taken place sometime in the late 2290s. Several published works have also indicated that McCoy later served as the head of Starfleet Medical School and as the Starfleet Surgeon General. The reference manual Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual states that McCoy eventually became Chief of Starfleet Medical and held a special rank known as "branch admiral".
(06-20-2018, 10:41 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Is it weeks? I always knew it was the same year, so I tried to be generous and assume there were a few months in between, to account for the fact that there's immediately an Enterprise-B (which I have to assume was going to be named something else before Starfleet wanted a big PR thing).

Weeks, months! 

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stupid Generations.

An Occasional Frakes sounds like an episode name..