Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR TREK: PICARD (CBS All Access)
The catsuit women of the Berman era always looked better when they were given a chance to wear a uniform. It's why everyone love Captain Jellico when he ordered Troi to put on a uniform, and she looked so much better in it for the rest of the series.
That’s not why I loved Jellico making Troi wear a uniform. It’s because she was an officer that should have been wearing a uniform the whole time.

And at risk of sounding extremely juvenile and sexist...Seven in the catsuit was fantastic.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Seven of Nine in the catsuit made my 7 go 9.
Git' in under mah belly!

Probably should have hired a stand in for Data and the do a deepfake, then just have Spiner dub in.
This is looking superb.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I really can't believe they're STILL using Vasquez Rocks in Star Trek.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(10-05-2019, 09:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I really can't believe they're STILL using Vasquez Rocks in Star Trek.
It wouldn't be the same without them.
I’m still waiting for an exchange like this:

“Incredible, isn’t it? It’s just like our Earth.”
“Yeah, it’s like every other fucking planet we go to.”
Interesting that a TOS-era Romulan Bird-of-Prey features prominently in that footage.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(10-05-2019, 10:05 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Interesting that a TOS-era Romulan Bird-of-Prey features prominently in that footage.

Perhaps that’s Picard’s new ride provided by Romulan allies he helped in the evacuation of their homeworld.
(10-05-2019, 09:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I really can't believe they're STILL using Vasquez Rocks in Star Trek.

It's really more of a gag than anything else at this point.
This looks like it has the potential to be great. I do wonder if Data is supposed to look like that though. And by that I mean puffy and extra fake.

I think it’s interesting that Riker looks retired too.
That was Data in his Insurrection floatations device mode. Yes, that happened. Nemesis didn't. But that did..
Behind-the-scenes look at the show, with some interesting new footage:

"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

That row of casual instant teleporters though. Seems like prime candidates for malfunction or hacking.
Git' in under mah belly!
(01-21-2020, 01:19 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: That row of caual instant teleporters though. Seems like prime candidates for malfunction or hacking.

Reminds me of how the doors function in TNG where they could "sense" when someone actually intends to pass through, otherwise they'd stay closed. I guess transporters have that ability of "knowing" where one is wanting to transport!
Didn't realize it already premiered, as I assumed it wouldn't hit until the evening like how DISCO does. I'll be checking out later tonight.
Really liked it. Some surprising deep pulls and directions, and it consigns that cheap as fuck B4 shit from the end of _Film_That_Shall_Not_Be_Named_ to the dustbin of history. Plus we got a better sense of Sex Bomb-Omb's character, motivations and personality in 5 minutes than any of the Disco crew managed in their first 5 eps.

Sort of hurts seen Jean-Luc so old and frail though.
I liked it a lot.

Stewart is magnificent.

The Maddox pull was a deep one but not totally un-expected once you saw where they were going.

This was better than the best Disco episode.

Ugh, apparently there was a quick shot of the Discoprise in the archive hologram.
(01-23-2020, 10:28 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: Really liked it. Some surprising deep pulls and directions, and it consigns that cheap as fuck B4 shit from the end of _Film_That_Shall_Not_Be_Named_ to the dustbin of history. Plus we got a better sense of Sex Bomb-Omb's character, motivations and personality in 5 minutes than any of the Disco crew managed in their first 5 eps.

Sort of hurts seen Jean-Luc so old and frail though.

Star Trek: Nemesis is actually a pretty good movie. Rewatched it earlier this week (along with Star Trek '09) in preparation for the Picard series premiere.

It felt all the more poignant watching it this time knowing that there was more story to come. Especially with the sense that Star Trek: Picard honors the storytelling choices in Nemesis, which gives them added weight. Knowing that Data is most likely still dead, this really makes his sacrifice hit hard, even 17 years later. Knowing that all of that sacrifice led to a fragile Romulan peace also adds weight to the ending of the film.

And then watching Star Trek '09, and basically seeing that the whole thing erupted from what was very likely an unavoidable natural 24th Century-shitstorm -- and that we're now finally seeing the onscreen aftermath of that -- is very exciting. I've always really liked Star Trek '09, but felt disappointed that they could make such a major change to the Prime Universe without there being an avenue for us to see the fallout. I'm glad that day is finally here.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Hey, you know who's a very very very good actor? Patrick Stewart.
You know what's a very good deep pull? Bringing back the Romulan theme from TOS.
This was terrific. Stewart is wonderful and the storyline they've set up is very interesting as well.

LOVE that he named his dog Number One. That's so awesome.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Not sold on the magical girl (or her sister) just yet. She doesn't seem to exist outside of the scenes in which she appears, if that makes sense. Maybe that's intentional, what with nobody calling the cops when she reports killing multiple people and apparently nobody seeing the explosion that knocks Picard all the way from California to France.

There also seems to be a piece missing when the ep makes a big thing about the girl getting into the Daystrom Institute, and then we go there and it seems hugely obvious why she of all beings would have got in there except that nobody there knows about her and her deal, and Picard doesn't even mention it to Kim Pine? I'm surer this will all get teased out over several episodes but I'm starting to hate serialization on principle.

Anyway, Stewart has come to play and that's going to keep me watching.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I liked it. I LOVED seeing Romulans with normal persons hair instead of every fucking Romulan in the galaxy having a short black bowl cut. Aesthetically Star Trek has IMO never been more appealing.
(01-24-2020, 08:00 AM)freeman Wrote: I liked it.  I LOVED seeing Romulans with normal persons hair instead of every fucking Romulan in the galaxy having a short black bowl cut.  Aesthetically Star Trek has IMO never been more appealing.

One of the things I hated on TNG was the unnecessary addition of a V ridge on the Romulan forehead, as that kind of spoiled the point of Romulans in TNG being related to the Vulcans but suddenly they have ridges like Klingons. So I thought it was a nice touch that Picard's Romulan chef actually has a V ridge but it's much more tastefully subdued than it was in TNG and that not all the other Romulan characters have that feature.
(01-24-2020, 08:21 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 08:00 AM)freeman Wrote: I liked it.  I LOVED seeing Romulans with normal persons hair instead of every fucking Romulan in the galaxy having a short black bowl cut.  Aesthetically Star Trek has IMO never been more appealing.

One of the things I hated on TNG was the unnecessary addition of a V ridge on the Romulan forehead, as that kind of spoiled the point of Romulans in TNG being related to the Vulcans but suddenly they have ridges like Klingons. So I thought it was a nice touch that Picard's Romulan chef actually has a V ridge but it's much more tastefully subdued than it was in TNG and that not all the other Romulan characters have that feature.

It's great. It feels like a species of people.
I liked that first episode. Stewart carries the thing and I thought Hanelle's direction and most of the technical credits were quite strong.

The story has potential but right now we aren't really seeing the arc, just catching up with Picard and getting some inciting incident. I think the weakest part was the teleplay. Some nice moments for Picard but I groaned a little when I saw the teleplay was by Kurtzman and Goldsman, and while it wasn't bad on the whole it did have some of that forced narrative, exposition, dialogue and those head-scratcher moments (the abrupt transition from Picard getting thrown by a huge explosion to having his head patted at his chateau) that I associate with both of them.

Hoping Chabon wrote at least a couple of these beyond his story involvement.
the empire never ended
As for what the Romulans are doing with the Borg cube...earlier in the show, it's mentioned that all research on synthetic life and all building of such is forbidden in the whole of the galaxy by treaty. A Borg cube would be a great resource for a group of people looking to conduct illegal scientific research and production without raising a red flag. Never mind the weapons capability if you could simply just reverse-engineer those. It sounds like a shortcut the deposed militant remnants of a shattered society could use to create something horrifying that could allow them to overpower any adversary they faced.

And I do like that the series is using trouble in Starfleet as a major story-point. Roddenberry had this vision of humanity outgrowing its flaws, and that's a beautiful notion, but I think it's also probably true that you can never really let your guard down in the eternal march towards truth and justice. And we saw this more perfect Starfleet making increasingly-poor decisions by the end of TNG and in DS9, and a little in Voyager too. The last interactions we had with Starfleet in the 24th Century weren't exactly shining beacons of hope, and I like that they're incorporating that into the story, rather than insisting that Starfleet is perfect and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

You could see how hard it was for Picard to say that Starfleet wasn't Starfleet anymore. And when he said it, it felt almost like being punched in the gut. I've always liked the daydream-fantasy that whatever is wrong today, somehow we'll get it right by then. And yet I also like that this series seems to be calling for more than just fantasy and daydreams. It seems to be saying as a subtext that we can't just hope for a better world to just happen to us one day, but that we'll have to work to build it, and that that work never ends.

(01-24-2020, 09:56 AM)wasp Wrote: I liked that first episode. Stewart carries the thing and I thought Hanelle's direction and most of the technical credits were quite strong.

The story has potential but right now we aren't really seeing the arc, just catching up with Picard and getting some inciting incident. I think the weakest part was the teleplay. Some nice moments for Picard but I groaned a little when I saw the teleplay was by Kurtzman and Goldsman, and while it wasn't bad on the whole it did have some of that forced narrative, exposition, dialogue and those head-scratcher moments (the abrupt transition from Picard getting thrown by a huge explosion to having his head patted at his chateau) that I associate with both of them.

Hoping Chabon wrote at least a couple of these beyond his story involvement.

Prepared to be terrified: if the IMDB credits are accurate, Goldsman is directing the final two episodes himself.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
^ Eh, despite whatever cinematic sins Goldsman may have committed in the past, so far he's done pretty good work overall with his tenure on Star Trek. Initially I was also uneasy about him participating in the franchise, but damn if Picard doesn't end up being my favorite ST series of all time, if the show keeps up the level of quality we got in this pilot (which Akiva Goldsman co-wrote). Having a pre-established structural form to follow seems to be inducing him to turn out some great material, here.

(01-24-2020, 08:21 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:

I never liked the TNG Romulan-look, or saw the point in it. I think "Balance of Terror" always had the right idea -- biologically they're simply cranky Vulcans. Plus there's no way in hell they would evolve so drastically in just a couple millennia of separation from their Vulcan cousins. The ridge-thing was dumb, and I'm glad to see it gone.

More thoughts on why nobody seems to be talking about things they really ought to be talking about, like death squads in Paris or people who just landed a plum spot at a prestigious institute and then never showed up, or people who unexpectedly have security clearances they shouldn't have.

Is this going to be an Unreliable Reality story? Are we going to be getting into Picard's case of Irumodic Syndrome, as referenced in "All Good Things"? The show is already showing that it's not averse to deep cuts.

I do hope that the sweet Romulan housekeepers don't turn out to be sinister minders, but the odds aren't good.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
The Romulan home help are almost certainly Tal’Shiar but I bet it’s a red herring and they really are just thankful to the sweet old man who tried his damndest to save as many of their people as possible. I just refuse to believe an Irish Romulan could be anything but lovely.

Very intrigued about the Mars shipyard attack. It sort of fits in the Section 31 playbook but it’s also fucking over their own ability to build ships to this day. Might Maddox have used Lore as the basis for early experiments, hence why they all defaulted to murderbot mode?

One thing that I’m sad won’t get explored is where Voyager’s Doctor fits in now, given the ban on synths and artificial life. He grew so much more beyond a mere hologram program that surely he also counts as an artificial life form? The series going down the Mass Effect route was something I wasn’t expecting at all.
(01-24-2020, 02:51 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: One thing that I’m sad won’t get explored is where Voyager’s Doctor fits in now, given the ban on synths and artificial life. He grew so much more beyond a mere hologram program that surely he also counts as an artificial life form? The series going down the Mass Effect route was something I wasn’t expecting at all.

Apparently Robert Picardo could very likely be appearing on the show in the not-too-distant future, here:

https://www.trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/rob...eason-two/

(01-24-2020, 04:01 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: You know what's a very good deep pull? Bringing back the Romulan theme from TOS.

Two more deep pulls from the Boston skyline. A London Knights baseball logo and a “Kassedy Yates Shipping Company” sign. 

I do think it’s interesting that both Discovery and Picard have shown us bald or balding Vulcans/Romulans that aren’t holy men of some kind. 

(01-24-2020, 10:18 AM)leto ii Wrote: As for what the Romulans are doing with the Borg cube...earlier in the show, it's mentioned that all research on synthetic life and all building of such is forbidden in the whole of the galaxy by treaty. A Borg cube would be a great resource for a group of people looking to conduct illegal scientific research and production without raising a red flag. Never mind the weapons capability if you could simply just reverse-engineer those. It sounds like a shortcut the deposed militant remnants of a shattered society could use to create something horrifying that could allow them to overpower any adversary they faced.

And I do like that the series is using trouble in Starfleet as a major story-point. Roddenberry had this vision of humanity outgrowing its flaws, and that's a beautiful notion, but I think it's also probably true that you can never really let your guard down in the eternal march towards truth and justice. And we saw this more perfect Starfleet making increasingly-poor decisions by the end of TNG and in DS9, and a little in Voyager too. The last interactions we had with Starfleet in the 24th Century weren't exactly shining beacons of hope, and I like that they're incorporating that into the story, rather than insisting that Starfleet is perfect and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

You could see how hard it was for Picard to say that Starfleet wasn't Starfleet anymore. And when he said it, it felt almost like being punched in the gut. I've always liked the daydream-fantasy that whatever is wrong today, somehow we'll get it right by then. And yet I also like that this series seems to be calling for more than just fantasy and daydreams. It seems to be saying as a subtext that we can't just hope for a better world to just happen to us one day, but that we'll have to work to build it, and that that work never ends.

I always thought there was a good story to be had in Borg drones that looked completely humanoid until the assimilation tubules shot out of the wrist to get you. Ones that didn’t have the sickly grey skin, etc...basically 7 of 9 without the eye piece. 

I get your point about Starfleet but to be fair the last time we saw this era of Starfleet it was right at the end of the galaxy wide equivalent of WW2 with a direct attack on Earth and another having been prevented after the entire Romulan government had been wiped out. So I can see them being skittish and cynical to begin with. Then you have the Synth attack that wipes out Mars. Really the Starfleet Picard knew and loved died during the war.