Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANT-MAN AND THE WASP Post-Release Discussion
Ehhhhhh.

I also thought the first one was ehhhhhh.

This thread is pointless and I have wasted your time, have a good day.
I was indifferent on the first one. Nice to know I can wait for blu ray on this one too.
Do we see the "Snap"?
It's aight. If you like seeing a lot of fun actors fuck around with size-changing gags, see it. There's not a single actual character arc in the film, and in the third of Marvel's daring attempts to fix their villain problem this year, it... kinda doesn't actually have a villain.

Also, the first post-credits scene felt tonally off (in that the rest of the film is so relaxed compared to this it just becomes another thing that happens rather than a shocking cliffhanger). The second one, though, made me laugh ridiculously loudly.
It's weird how none of the storylines really come together in a satisfying way. It feels very first draft in that regard. Goggins' villain has no reason to exist other than there wouldn't be action without him.

I actually kept waiting for someone to be Thanos'd in the final minutes and was surprised when it didn't happen. To the point that when the credits thing happened I just kind of shrugged, because of course.
Considering I thought that Spiderman, Black Panther, and Infinity War showed that Marvel was getting a lot better at this stuff (or at least, I was liking these movies a lot more), Ant-Man sounds like a major step back.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
It just sounds like a STAR TREK IV after all of the heaviness of STs II and III. You've gotta lighten up every now and then. It sounds like a pleasant enough romp in some of the reviews that I've read, but the first ANT-MAN film honestly did nothing for me. It was OK. I liked Ant-Man as he was used in CIVIL WAR (he's fine as a supporting character/comic relief) but don't think that there's enough there to carry a film. Maybe it works with him partnered up with the Wasp but I don't feel motivated to find out.
I'm with Judas. It'll be fun. No big deal.

Reviews are coming in and they're pretty positive so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ant_man...p/reviews/
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
The film's lightweight touch is why I didn't actually dislike it. If it'd played things straight, I'd be more bothered by the fact I never really emotionally connected to finding Michelle Pfeiffer, or the fact that everybody's at each other's throats because they're just super impatient.

Goggins wants the Quantum Tunnel tech *now* so he can make billions. Hope says no because she needs to find her mother first.

Ava wants the tech so that she can fix her condition because she only has weeks to live.

Hope and Hank need the tech so they can find Janet, and there's a very short window - hours - for them to do it.

Everybody fights over the tech, when if they'd waited... I don't know, a day?... all of this could have been resolved (and Ava would have had three wickedly brilliant scientists trying to help her instead of one).
I had fun with this. It ain’t high art, to be sure, but had plenty moments of levity, which I need with how dour things are as of late. We need these moments to break up the tension and have superhero movies that skew toward the younger crowd — enough heavy drama is pedaled to the old cynical nerds as it is.
I really enjoyed this.

So much more than the previous one
I STILL MAINTAIN I HAD A GOOD TIME SEEING THIS MOVIE
I've seen better MCU flicks, but this is still a good time. The third act is a blast. I enjoyed the inventive ways the movie used the size changing tech.

I did like that the movie didn't really have a villain. It made it different from other comic book movies and it was a clever way around Marvel's villain problem.

Luis's way of recapping events is still funny.

I knew the post credit scene was going to show who got snapped out of existence, but it was still a gut punch to see those ashes while Scott pleaded to by pulled out of the quantum realm. As for the second one, some dude in the theater said, "He is the key to defeating Thanos." It made me laugh.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(07-05-2018, 11:29 PM)chaz Wrote: I've seen better MCU flicks, but this is still a good time. The third act is a blast. I enjoyed the inventive ways the movie used the size changing tech.

I did like that the movie didn't really have a villain. It made it different from other comic book movies and it was a clever way around Marvel's villain problem.

Luis's way of recapping events is still funny.

I knew the post credit scene was going to show who got snapped out of existence, but it was still a gut punch to see those ashes while Scott pleaded to by pulled out of the quantum realm.  As for the second one, some dude in the theater said, "He is the key to defeating Thanos." It made me laugh.

I agree exactly with this. As I was clumsily alluding too, I liked that there wasn't really a villain (OK, there was Walton Goggins but after his selfless sacrifice even though it would lead to his certain death in G.I. Joe 2, I won't hear a word against him).

Sure, you could argue all these problems could have been avoided if people just talked to each other but they'd put in the work over two films to establish that it wasn't exactly easy to talk to Hank Pym. My other (contradictory) option for who the villain was in this film was Thanos. Thanos is the villain here.

I wanted the Snap in this film and exactly where it was in the film too.  Just like with Infinity War, I was hoping we'd get one and once again, it was all I hoped for and more. I know people have said that because so many people went down, it's obvious they're bringing them all back but the scene at the time, there was just so much killing and it just did. not. stop.

Bucky, Falcon, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, all of the Guardians except Rocket (and Nebula if she counts as a member yet), Spider-Man (or is it back to Spiderman now?), Nick Fury, Maria Hill and sorry if I missed anyone else. Same here with Ant-Man, I was wondering who they were going to take and how they were going to show it but I didn't expect them to take Hank and Janet and Hope.

That's right, all Hope is lost.

**boom tish**

I hope Avengers 4 is all about that goddamn giant ant. That might be my favorite post-credits scene in any of these films.
This was a pretty fun, breezy time. The cast is really aces together, to the point that I kinda think this is my favourite ensemble of all the Marvel movies. Also, Scott's daughter is just the most adorable child ever.

They need to tone down the CGI youthinator though... That shit will give me uncanny Valley nightmares for the next few weeks.
(06-27-2018, 03:02 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: The film's lightweight touch is why I didn't actually dislike it.  If it'd played things straight, I'd be more bothered by the fact I never really emotionally connected to finding Michelle Pfeiffer, or the fact that everybody's at each other's throats because they're just super impatient.

Goggins wants the Quantum Tunnel tech *now* so he can make billions.  Hope says no because she needs to find her mother first.

Ava wants the tech so that she can fix her condition because she only has weeks to live.

Hope and Hank need the tech so they can find Janet, and there's a very short window - hours - for them to do it.

Everybody fights over the tech, when if they'd waited... I don't know, a day?... all of this could have been resolved (and Ava would have had three wickedly brilliant scientists trying to help her instead of one).

After the first movie leaving me fairly cold (along with being genially enjoyable), I already accepted that emotional connection wasn't going to be a big priority with this character's movies.  So even though I never got all that engrossed in the quest to find Janet, I really didn't mind.

But I actually really did like the scene between Janet and Ava.  I figured that's where it would eventually go, and for this light movie I really appreciated that saving Janet also resulted in healing Ava.

Given everyone's situations, nobody was in a position to be able to wait because they're not friends who are going to sit down and talk to each other.  Everyone got off on the wrong foot of general mistrust and understandably short-term thinking.

I was actually moved a bit by the scene with Janet and Ava.  I thought Hannah John Kamen sold the pain the character operated on really well.  Despite the movie's light touch, her story is really quite dark.  It's too bad there couldn't have been better scenes between her and Fishburne.  Most of those played so perfunctory.

I was impressed with the LOLA work done in de-aging Michelle Pfeiffer.  But Michael Douglas's de-aging never looks quite right!  I really liked that Hank was the one to go sub-atomic himself this time, all FANTASTIC VOYAGE-like!

And Scott's daughter is INDEED the most adorable child ever.  I'm usually annoyed by overly precocious Hollywood kids in movies like this, but she strikes a really nice balance between that and feeling like an actual kid.

Are we supposed to know who Goggins is working for? Or is it just a generic black market tech dealer?

Whatever happened with Martin Donavan's HYDRA character from the last movie? He stole a sample of the Pym-particle and scuttled away.
No, we're yet to find out who Walton Goggins was on the phone with. I'm very impressed with the MCU and how it's adding pieces to a jigsaw in each film that pay of down the line but not in such a continuity heavy way that casual viewers will be completely at sea if they just duck in to see the odd MCU film here and there.

I was very pleased with the direction they went with Ghost, makes a change from having someone being a victim through forces beyond their control and then blown up for the greater good and then forgotten about.

Cassie had the best wicked smile when she saw her dad on TV once skating the edge between being the hero and making a fool of himself. Total speculation by other people I've seen (as in they're guessing, they haven't heard anything) is that she could be in Infinity War Part 2 as either Stature or Stinger or something.
Did anyone get a very "Metal Gear Solid villain" vibe from Ghost? From the design, to the powers, to the edgy backstory, to the fact that she was a gorgeous woman underneath the suit, I kept thinking "someone should write Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa a check" every time she was onscreen.
I can see that!
(07-06-2018, 10:00 AM)andrevellozo Wrote: Did anyone get a very "Metal Gear Solid villain" vibe from Ghost? From the design, to the powers, to the edgy backstory, to the fact that she was a gorgeous woman underneath the suit, I kept thinking "someone should write Hidro Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa a check" every time she was onscreen.

I'd forgotten about this until I was reminded about it when reading Reddit. The trailers said in the voice-over that whatever Ghost was doing would "destroy the world".

She was never trying to do anything of the sort for even one instant in the film!

I feel the MCU marketing team might have been deceiving us with this one!
"HURT ME MORE!!!"

but instead... "I'm in constant pain..."
I think just a notch too 'goofy' to be truly great. It's way better than Thor: Ragnarok in that it has an entirely silly tone while dealing with a Saturday morning lark of a plot (and not goofing around and doing improv while people are dying by the thousands), but it's so light that it ends up just being a hang-out movie. They do one massive exposition dump where Bill Foster is a bitter ex-colleague of Hank's and Ghost is his surrogate daughter and they're the shadow-selves of the Pyms... but then it doesn't do anything with that parallel because it won't make Ghost or Foster too bad, so it ends up saying nothing about fathers or daughters or rehabilitation. Maybe an ending where Bill sacrifices himself to save Janet/Ghost, or Ghost goes too far and has to be killed, or if Burch was more of a threat...
I'm still avian.
woof, that exposition dump
Loved it. Some great set pieces with lots of funny. Only bad part is no Wasp in Avengers 4. I want to see her take over.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
would be so fun if the quantum realm was related to the soul gem realm

"dammit insectman! get out of my dreams!!!"
-thanos
I definitely think the quantum stuff will factor in the Deus Ex Machina in Avengers 4. Some leaked set pics have kinda led me to believe that after watching this film.
Also, I thought the close-up magic stuff would get some payoff. You know, "give us the keycard!" "Oh, you mean THIS keycard?"

I guess he used close-up magic to inflate the Ant-Man suit? By filling it with cards...?
I'm still avian.
hahahaha, I was wondering that too

"how did he inflate the thing???"
He'll end up defeating Thanos with close-up magic.

Or else the giant ant will impress Thanos with its drum skills and Thanos will put everything back the way it used to be.
"I now see that greatness can come from anywhere AND anyone!!"

-Brad Birdos
(07-06-2018, 05:03 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: He'll end up defeating Thanos with close-up magic.

Or else the giant ant will impress Thanos with its drum skills and Thanos will put everything back the way it used to be.

You joke, but I have a real feeling it's going to be Ant-Man and/or Hawkeye who ends up finishing Thanos off. It's gonna be one of the "smaller humans" you wouldn't expect to have that big of an impact.
Oh, it totally will. I believe that's even been how it's done before (though I may be confusing that w/ a Green Arrow/Atom team-up that defeated Darkseid at one point).
I just came back from seeing this and enjoyed it. It didn't feel as good as Ant-man, but the heart was all there. The jokes weren't knee slapping variety, but clever and witty. I could watch Michael Pena recaps of movies every day. I need more Michelle Pieffer in my movies. The Ava/Bill story was an odd, and like someone said above perfunctory feel, but it kind of worked, so it was enough (I guess fulfilling the definition of perfunctory).

As an always lover of Down with Love, I am glad to see Peyton Reed back directing and would kill for a 70s Antman and Wasp film.

Only one thing really bothered me: The lighting on Hannah John-Kamen, who played Ava, washed out her face so much, she looked so much like Emily Blunt that I thought it was Emily Blunt. Between the accent and all, I spent 90% of this movie thinking "I can't believe they brownfaced Emily Blunt. I can't believe she went for it. Damn. I mean, I love Emily Blunt, but...I still love Emily Blunt."
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Can someone fill me in on the specifica of the pre-Marvel title opening? A parking fiasco made me late. I know it was Pym telling Hope about finding her mom but was curious what they showed.