Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony’s Spider-verse: the Next Dark Universe?
Let’s catch up here with Sony’s increasingly insane plans to chase down Marvel dollars.

So far we have:

Venom, (crash) landing in October.
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, arriving in December.
Nightwatch, which Spike Lee is circling.
Silver & Black, directed by Gina Prince-Blythwood.
Morbius, starring Jared Leto and directed by Daniel Espinosa.
Silk, under development.

Will we get an awesome/hilarious actors group shot released in conjunction with Venom’s release ala the Dark Universe promo photo released alongside THE MUMMY?
I still wish that Drew Goddard Sinister Six happened.

But yeah, when Venom flops because, Mad Max aside, Tom Hardy is a quirky indie actor and not a blockbuster box office draw, all these other plans dissappear again just like after Amazing Spider-Man 2.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
At least Spider-Verse's animation looks pretty cool. None of the other shit's gonna happen besides that and Venom, though. Heck, Silver & Black seems to already be caught in development hell.
https://news.avclub.com/the-venom-traile...1827123041

Might not be a flop. If horrible characters like Deadpool can work out who knows. Never underestimate dude brehs.
Is there any evidence that Venom will be just SOOOOO horrible? Or is that just everyone's assumption?
I can't think of any movie that you guys actually want to be successful.
No kidding..
I’m just bothered that these Sony movies mean these characters will never interact with Tom Holland’s Spider-Man. Or in the case of Venom, he can never be a Guardian or the Galaxy.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

(06-27-2018, 08:36 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: No kidding..

I honestly think that's how 98% of the folks around here entertain themselves. They hate every poster, every trailer, every movie. But they really get a kick out of reminding you how much they hate them.
I know. I want someone to really lay out to me in plain English why Venom has no chance of being good.

It's like listening to people complain about how Venom looks. I mean....really? That looked like a, uhhhh....pretty good Venom. I mean, it WAS Venom. What do people want? If you hate Venom in the comic and hate how he looks there too, that's one thing but to say that he looks bad in the movie...like the movie is ruining the character or something...I mean, what? He looks as much like Venom as Iron Man looks like Iron Man. I hope this movie is good and is a hit. I do. There's no such thing as too many comic book movies (unless you're Agentsands...him and his AVANT GARDE FOOD lol)..
(06-27-2018, 08:37 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I’m just bothered that these Sony movies mean these characters will never interact with Tom Holland’s Spider-Man. Or in the case of Venom, he can never be a Guardian or the Galaxy.

Don't worry, Marvel Studios will have the rights in less than five years after Sony screws it up as they usually do.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(06-27-2018, 08:51 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I know. I want someone to really lay out to me in plain English why Venom has no chance of being good.

It's like listening to people complain about how Venom looks. I mean....really? That looked like a, uhhhh....pretty good Venom. I mean, it WAS Venom. What do people want? If you hate Venom in the comic and hate how he looks there too, that's one thing but to say that he looks bad in the movie...like the movie is ruining the character or something...I mean, what? He looks as much like Venom as Iron Man looks like Iron Man. I hope this movie is good and is a hit. I do. There's no such thing as too many comic book movies (unless you're Agentsands...him and his AVANT GARDE FOOD lol)..

Of course it has a chance. Imo, the trailer looked cheap and small. It's coming from a company that just shit the bed with a much better character. They do dumb shit like propose Secret Six movies before they even make one decent movie (where have we seen that before?). The whole thing reeks of "this is our most popular property and it's linked to Marvel, gimme dat green". Plus Venom is a polarizing character with an obnoxious fan base, at least among nerds. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this makes at least Suicide Squad money. That doesn't mean the movie will 100% be bad, but it has an uphill climb.
Edge of Tomorrow was an honest to goodness fun movie, made with the right intentions, but nobody went to see it.

Sony and WB are churning out these movies at a rapid fire pace with the only purpose to make money. It’s great that people are employed, but the art is totally absent.

Wilfully cheering for a movie to fail is one thing, but being skeptical because a studio has already shown they are incapable of making any of these movies GOOD is another.

Venom looks like the a throwback to the days when Hollywood was embarrassed of making a superhero movie and did it’s best change almost everything about them. It looks Daredevil bad.

You guys understand that Hollywood is in the business to make money? Like, you all get that, right?
Into the Spider-Verse looks really cool, and I'd be all for Silver and Black because Gina Princebythewood is a fun talent that would be awesome to see move up to the big-budget leagues, but it seems like it's not happening (it recently lost its start date). Morbius stars Jared Leto so FUCK THAT. Nightwatch: all for Spike getting to do a superhero film, but it doesn't seem particularly likely, especially if BlacKkKlansman hits big and re-elevates Spike to the levels of his former critical prestige/blank checks.

As for Venom? I admit I've never particularly liked the character, and removing him from Spider-Man feels like it takes out a huge chunk of what makes that character even interesting in the first place. And the film looks cheap and everyone's accent sounds very silly. SO YMMV.
Sony is churning these out at a breakneck pace? Since when? Was this Venom movie rushed? Ok...the trailer wasn't the most amazing thing ever. But I'm gonna need more than that to turn on it..
(06-27-2018, 10:00 PM)bradito Wrote: You guys understand that Hollywood is in the business to make money? Like, you all get that, right?

I don't think the people at Sony Pictures got that particular memo.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(06-27-2018, 10:00 PM)bradito Wrote: You guys understand that Hollywood is in the business to make money? Like, you all get that, right?
Sure, absolutely.

It's just the part where they keep trying to build their metaphorical skyscraper starting from the topmost floor that's kinda funny.
I don't even know what's being said anymore.

Hey guys! There's a Venom movie coming out soon! I'll let y'all know how it is!
(06-27-2018, 10:15 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:
Sure, absolutely.

It's just the part where they keep trying to build their metaphorical skyscraper starting from the topmost floor that's kinda funny.

Why does that sound so familiar?

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I thought the Venom trailer, other than the too-plasticky look of Venom, was good.

I think the box office is going to surprise people.
I guess constant negativity about most everything gets tiring sometimes..
(06-27-2018, 08:31 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Is there any evidence that Venom will be just SOOOOO horrible? Or is that just everyone's assumption?

I mean, I saw the trailer.

In fairness, I definitely don’t like Venom the character all that much. And as someone else said, taking Venom out of any Spidey-centric reality is completely hamstringing the character.

Also, I’m generally not that negative. Buncha jerks.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Not you too, Spurn!

I wanna hear from people that've seen the whole film. Trailers rarely ever sway me one way or the other. I'm predestined to see some things. It's just gonna happen.

Word CAN be bad enough for me to never bother with a film at all. That last Fantastic Four proved that. I've yet to see it. Probably never will. But I doubt Venom could be that bad..
What can I say, it just looks bad.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I mean, I was a HUGE Venom fanboy in the 1990s, and loved his early comic appearances and early spin-off mini-series like "Lethal Protector" and "Funeral Pyre." Hell, I even have a 1992 rubber figure of him on my desk. My only real issue with him is how Marvel ran him into the ground creatively.

All that said, this upcoming movie looks legitimately terrible. Pretty much a cheap, phoned-in superhero flick that you'd swear was a CW tv show trailer were it not for the acting talent attached.

And I liked ZOMBIELAND quite a bit, but Ruben Fleischer's last two movies (GANGSTER SQUAD, 30 MINUTES OR LESS) don't exactly fill me with confidence.

I am excited for INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE though! And NIGHTWATCH, which seems like a vapor project, could be interesting....
I kind of liked the Venom trailer, but then I'm generally down with Tom Hardy doing weird accents and Jenny Slate doing anything. I'm willing to wait and see what the word is once it's released.

Having given it some thought, it's kind of surprising that some sort of vampire movie with Jared Leto doesn't already exist.
I've wanted a Morbius movie for like 20 years.
I need plassssssmaaaaaaa....
Remember when Morbius was in Blade, setting him up as the villain for the sequel?

At the 12:42 mark.

Does he actually suck blood through his hands or was that a TV appropriate thing?
(06-28-2018, 01:44 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Remember when Morbius was in Blade, setting him up as the villain for the sequel?

At the 12:42 mark.

That wasn't in the film! Alternate ending!

(06-28-2018, 01:53 PM)Munson Wrote: Does he actually suck blood through his hands or was that a TV appropriate thing?

And did his powers always come from Spider-man's blood?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yes Walt with a bunch of As. I know.

Pardon my lack of precision.

(06-28-2018, 06:06 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Yes Waaaaaaaalt, I know.

Pardon my lack of precision.
You MUST be clear.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I've actually never seen that alternate ending before!

Morbius is cool but FUCK Jared Leto.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt