Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
LITTLE WOMEN (Greta Gerwig) Discussion
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/06/29/...adaptation

That's a big fat swing up the middle if you ask me. Florence Pugh as Amy, who is the actual worst, is just great.
home taping is killing music
I have no idea who Chalamet is (haven't yet seen Ladybird) but the rest of the cast is aces.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
He's the costar of BEAUTIFUL BOY, which I know you watched the trailer for!

Katherine Langford as Beth (the dead one).
(06-29-2018, 01:56 PM)boone daniels Wrote: He's the costar of BEAUTIFUL BOY

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

So it's Ronan as Jo, Stone as Meg, Pugh as Amy, Streep as Marmee, and... Chalamet as Laurie?
Where’s Christian Bale?
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
He's at home, washing his tights!

Go watch Split, sucka.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(06-29-2018, 01:48 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I have no idea who Chalamet is (haven't yet seen Ladybird) but the rest of the cast is aces.

he was in your precious Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

he was the son... doomed to be a farmer
(06-29-2018, 02:38 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: So it's Ronan as Jo, Stone as Meg, Pugh as Amy, Streep as Marmee, and... Chalamet as Laurie?

Yep. They're apparently going to start testing people opposite Stone for Beth this summer.

It would be fun if they got Bale to play Bhaer - though Idris Elba or Colin Farrell would work, too.
Streep? Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg.

Should've cast McDormand.
why on God's dying earth is someone making Little Women again?

I hope Gerwig has some major twist or hook on the material, otherwise this feels exceedingly pointless.

(06-29-2018, 02:52 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 01:48 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I have no idea who Chalamet is (haven't yet seen Ladybird) but the rest of the cast is aces.

he was in your precious Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

he was the son... doomed to be a farmer

CALL ME BY YOUR CHALAMET
the empire never ended
First semi-official pic! 

[Image: Watson-Pugh-Ronan-Scanlen-Little-Women.jpg]

From left: Pugh as Amy, Ronan as Jo, Watson as Meg, and Eliza Scanlen as Beth.
So they aren't using Little People? Pointless remake then.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(11-21-2018, 12:28 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So they aren't using Little People? Pointless remake then.

There are jokes that are brilliant because they are stupid.

This is a brilliantly stupid joke. 

Well played.
that's hellatight
C'mon, this is a period piece, so it'd be:

"I say, good miss march, the information you are presenting me with is so delightful to me, so much so that one might say it is "hellatight.""
No way they're topping Newman's score.  Brass and strings all the way.  Unless they get him back.
(11-21-2018, 01:16 PM)scottieferguson Wrote: No way they're topping Newman's score.  Brass and strings all the way.  Unless they get him back.

Well, if folks around are here are consistent, the argument should be is that they should just reuse the old score.

(11-21-2018, 12:31 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 12:28 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So they aren't using Little People? Pointless remake then.

There are jokes that are brilliant because they are stupid.

This is a brilliantly stupid joke. 

Well played.

Thank you. Also I will watch this. I like Gerwig.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            

Looks good! Surprised to see the cameo from Trouble City Favorite Tracy Letts! 

I really like the look of it so far - a combination of semi-naturalistic lighting (candles, etc.) and handheld cinematography. Performances seem like they're great, too. 

But man, what up with Florence Pugh's accent?
My initial gut reaction to this trailer was a simple one: why does there need to be another movie of this?

Upon further thought, though, I was caused to self-reflect a bit. New version of DRACULA? I’m in. FRANKENSTEIN? Absolutely. A CHRISTMAS CAROL? The more, the merrier. MACBETH? Bring it on. There could never be too many adaptations of those tales for me.

For others out there, I'm sure LITTLE WOMEN is a story like that which they find perpetually compelling and worthwhile, and for those people, I’m glad they’ve got a new, prestige version coming their way.

I doubt I’ll be seeing it unless roped in by family over the holidays, but objectively I think it looks like a fine production. I'm skeptical of Chalamet, but everyone else (Ronan, especially) looks to be bringing it.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Isn’t it a bit weird that Ronan and Watson have been playing coming of age characters for the past decade?

Watson is three years older than Diane Keaton in The Godfather.
(08-13-2019, 02:29 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Isn’t it a bit weird that Ronan and Watson have been playing coming of age characters for the past decade?

Watson is three years older than Diane Keaton in The Godfather.

There are several women who im pretty sure are part of some genetic experiment to look young. Though it must be weird when you get to like 30. Like it is funny when you realize that shows set in high school had these huge age gap between actors. There was I think an 8-10 year age gap between Alicia Silvertone and Stacey Dash in Clueless.
I'll be seeing this under duress.
(08-13-2019, 02:17 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Upon further thought, though, I was caused to self-reflect a bit. New version of DRACULA? I’m in. FRANKENSTEIN? Absolutely. A CHRISTMAS CAROL? The more, the merrier. MACBETH? Bring it on. There could never be too many adaptations of those tales for me.

For others out there, I'm sure LITTLE WOMEN is a story like that which they find perpetually compelling and worthwhile, and for those people, I’m glad they’ve got a new, prestige version coming their way.
I believe I read the book long, long ago, but I haven't seen any of the film adaptations. The only pop culture related thing I remember about it is Moe Szyslak tearing up as he was reading it to schoolkids.
(08-13-2019, 02:29 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Watson is three years older than Diane Keaton in The Godfather.
This blew my mind. No wonder freeman doesn't drool over her anymore! (or does he? I dunno)
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
This will blow your mind even more. She’s now the same age Streep was when she was in Kramer vs Kramer!
Ronan's twenty-five. By comparison, Emma Stone was doing Spider-Man movies when she was 24, Jennifer Lawrence was still making Hunger Games movies by 25 (though she'd picked up an Oscar by then), and Michelle Williams was...well, she was in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN at 25, but that's because it's Michelle fucking Williams.

I think the issue with Ronan is that she was a child actor, then did somewhat adult roles like GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL or BROOKLYN (which I wouldn't call a 'coming of age' movie) where she played a fully-formed person or adult, and then went back to doing coming of age stuff like LADY BIRD.

Also, Mary Queen of Scots, not necessarily a "coming of age" story.

Quote:My initial gut reaction to this trailer was a simple one: why does there need to be another movie of this?

Upon further thought, though, I was caused to self-reflect a bit.

When I bust balls about biases in entertainment and media, this is all I'm trying to do. Just provoke reflection.
(08-13-2019, 04:32 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll be seeing this under duress.

Taking one for the team. * raises a cup *

Honestly, this looks fine to good. Not a fan of the music choice for the trailer but I get what they're going for and I ain't the target audience, anyway.

Really, my only qualm is Chalamet. I just don't like him. Casting is otherwise fucking great.

(08-13-2019, 06:07 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Really, my only qualm is Chalamet. I just don't like him.

I thought he was very good in CALL ME BY YOUR NAME, but in everything else I've seen him in, he just has a vibe that doesn't work for me.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Very much not digging his not-even-close-to-period-accurate hair in it.

Looks like a fun update- imbued with Gerwig's sensibilities. I'm in!
I liked the trailer, seems like a nice fresh take on Little Women.
Trailer gets a very hard "eh" from me.
the empire never ended
I appeared in a stage production of Little Women about fifteen years ago. I played Laurie, the boy, and at 25 years old, I was the youngest cast member. There were multiple scenes where we all had to behave like characters at the cusp of puberty, and to my eye, we all looked very much like what we were: fully grown adults embarrassing ourselves. I recall there was a scene near the beginning, when we're supposed to be really young, where the March sisters decided to put on a play, and we all had to dress up like pirates or whatever the fuck, and acted it out for their mom. It was one of the more uncomfortably meta moments of my acting career.

I had a lot of fun doing it. But it was a poor show, poorly received. I think they were charging like fifty dollars a ticket, it was absurd.

These actors are about the ages we were, maybe a bit younger. But they at least look like maybe late teens? Pugh and Ronan at least?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN