Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacha Baron Cohen's Who Is America? (Showtime)
Cheney giggling at Cohen claiming to have waterboarded his wife kills me.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r...ca-1129688

Quote:Rep. Jason Spencer, the Georgia Republican lawmaker who exposed himself and yelled racial slurs in a recent episode of Showtime's Who Is America?, has announced his intention to resign from office, CNN senior national correspondent Kyung Lah reported Tuesday.

Spencer initially vowed to take legal action against the Who Is America? filmmakers if they showed the video. After the Showtime episode aired, however, Spencer issued a statement in The Washington Post, where the representative said he "deeply" regretted his actions and called the segment a "ridiculously ugly episode."

I do wonder if we could get some of these guys to donate their brains to science after they die (or before, whatevs).

We could see an announcement of a heretofore unknown medical condition known as, "Always Drunk Syndrome".
Gamertag: Tweakee
Exactly how many different Asian nationalities did that fat fuck reference while pretending to be a Chinese tourist?!
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
At one point the dude just yelled "Thai!"
At this point, I wouldnt be surprised if the series finale of this show is the Pee Tape
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
History Books in 50 years:

"At a pivotal point in mid-2018 when the American Experiment was teetering on the brink of collapse, the most unlikely of heroes appeared...

...it was fucking Borat."
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
It was easy pickings. But I died laughing during the Mosque in Arizona portion.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The Arizona thing was the only sketch that didn't work for me, as they were clearly pre-screened and they were giving the expected responses. I thought that might also have been the case with that Corrine lady, but her inability to even read the cue cards, let alone comprehend what she was saying put the kibosh on that. He also seemed legitimately surprised at that Georgia guy's willingness to ruin his career. The made in Georgia logo was a nice stinger/burn.
(07-25-2018, 01:58 PM)scottieferguson Wrote: The Arizona thing was the only sketch that didn't work for me, as they were clearly pre-screened and they were giving the expected responses......

...or, this is America in 2018.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
The Arizona segment is the one reportedly directed by Nathan Fielder, which makes sense. The guy's got a very sharp nose for weirdos. From what I read they weren't pre-screened, the meeting was just advertised on Craigslist and other places where these guys might be likely to hang.
Eh, pre-screening doesn't matter, they were still hunting weirdoes...still, they found a lot of them! It's as "fish in a barrel" as it gets, but I've come around to exposing dumbos as dumbos.

Really liking the show, but the Billy Wayne segments are a flop...SBC can't do a Southern accent, and the people he's talking to are smart enough to know he's a character.
The funniest thing about that Billy Wayne segment was how they put a Confederate flag logo next to Koppel's name at the outset.
The Billy Wayne segments don't work because he's not satirising the interview subjects, he's satirising the character himself so it mostly consists of intelligent people looking flummoxed. It'd work better if they had Billy Wayne meeting other conservatives or if they used him to shine a light on more hypocritical liberal types. Apparently the upcoming Sarah Palin segment is with Billy Wayne, which sounds about right.
(07-26-2018, 06:30 AM)Evi Wrote: The Billy Wayne segments don't work because he's not satirising the interview subjects, he's satirising the character himself so it mostly consists of intelligent people looking flummoxed. It'd work better if they had Billy Wayne meeting other conservatives or if they used him to shine a light on more hypocritical liberal types. Apparently the upcoming Sarah Palin segment is with Billy Wayne, which sounds about right.

All true.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I figured - up to this point, at least - the Billy Wayne segments were to show how particular people (fuck it, the left) aren't so easily led or outright stupid.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Wah whah wah wicky wah whah wah wicky Wild Wild West. Wicky wah Wild West.

(That nerdy 'rap battle' seemed a lot more like a poetry slam.)
Despite some audience reaction shots, those guys caught on immediately. Can't say the same about the quinceanera dinguses.
(07-26-2018, 07:29 AM)the nz natural Wrote: I figured - up to this point, at least - the Billy Wayne segments were to show how particular people (fuck it, the left) aren't so easily led or outright stupid.

The segments with the over-compensating white male are definitely not just about the stooges though.

Didn't think the most recent episode (3 in the UK) nailed the arguments quite as well as the previous. Felt more like an ego-trip without a compensating, relevant critique. He won the rap battle, Roy Moore didn't take the bait, and the section about the racial divide didn't seem to offer a particularly incisive thesis or land a point. Only the anti-Mexican militia bit seemed fully formed and that lacked satirical punch.

Just an initial impression though, so interested to hear other thoughts.

Channel 4 on demand are offering catch up on the Ali G Show and Borat. I'm finding both of those sharper so far in the round, and on similar issues.
Yeah, this latest episode didn’t quite hit the mark. Easily the weakest so far.

I do like how the keep switching Morrads rank. He’s been a major, colonel and general so far.
Morrad and Cain-N'Degeocello are the better drawn characters, and of those two Morrad seems to be the one most consistently tuned to the sensibilities of his targets so far. I cannot quite believe people are taken in by such an obvious make up job, though, but then if you are dealing with those who probably have never met an Israeli or anybody from the Middle East perhaps they genuinely think folks from there have muscle suits, rigid upper faces and Z'dar chins. 

Even though I think it's a bit lame compared to his earlier efforts, I still retain huge respect for his ability to create ostensibly believable characters that are good satire in themselves as well as instruments for satirising others. I think I would have used Cain-N to target the left wing though, rather than using him to juxtapose an extreme version of two competing political philosophies. But then I'm not a hugely successful comedian.
Still watching...but I’m losing interest here. The new character, the foreign YouTube kid, meh.
Jesus Christ, that surprise mid-credit interview was something else. Really hope this comes back for a second season.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
(08-27-2018, 11:39 AM)isao kanemasa Wrote: Jesus Christ, that surprise mid-credit interview was something else. Really hope this comes back for a second season.

I don't see how it can. People are going to be on the look out.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
All new characters! I want to see him pull off a douche-bag K-pop promoter/magnate in yellow-face.
So, the stuff with Palin didn't air?
Nope but OJ seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about murdering his wife.
It's the same kind of reaction I had when relatives I hadn't seen in over 25 years asked me to do the moon-walk.
Palin was in the credits, as "Special Publicity Consultant (inadvertent)"

Not even airing her segment is the best possible burn.
Gamertag: Tweakee
If the show is indeed over, I’m glad. It got really stale.
I think we have the plot of season 2.

Roy Moore Sues Sacha Baron Cohen for $95 Million
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson