Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROBOCOP RETURNS - Pre-Release Thread
I'm in favor of anything that gives me an excuse to post the only good picture in the history of photography.

Oldobocop
Weller or bust.

But I will say, Blomkamp seems more appropriate for this than Alien 3boot.
(06-28-2018, 12:45 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 12:35 PM)rexbanner Wrote: But 2 years ago I honestly wouldn't have thought these people would be willing to cede the U.S.A.'s role in leading the world for the sake of Donald Trump. Not only are the likes of Paul Ryan and Mike Pence evil, they're also incredibly stupid.
No kidding. The funny part is, looking back at it, they've actually been gradually drifting towards this for a shockingly long time - I remember being surprised and baffled by pro-Putin sentiments as far back as the latter half of the Dubya administration. What I really wasn't expecting was the readiness with which these people were willing to make the jump from "allies because he likes oppressing gay people too" to "straight-up lapdog for the guy."

(07-11-2018, 02:43 PM)bendrix Wrote: I don't know, man. Weller's 71 years old. I wouldn't want to don the Robocop suit for a movie shoot, and I'm 42.

Totally forgot there a second that actors age too.

How about casting a chin-a-like and have Weller do voice-over work? What? Don't look at me like that.
Just put Weller in the ping pong ball green screen suit.
Weller is too old for this unnecessary idea. Get Karl Urban up in this, his chin only game is the best in the biz.
Just redesign Robo so that his face is masked, but you get occasional shots of Weller behind it. Like they do with Downey Jr. as Iron Man.
If the plot doesn't involve this team-up, all is lost:

(07-11-2018, 03:04 PM)ryoken Wrote: Just enjoy this http://www.i-mockery.com/comics/longbox24/default.php
Because what we'll get will be a different kind of trainwreck
God, I'd forgotten how much I miss "Tales from the Longbox."
Didn't Robocop fight Terminator? Weller vs Arnie, let's do it.

Or just make a Past their Prime shared universe, maybe fight Alien, Predator, Die Hard etc.
That comic-- Avatar Press house art style at its worst.

RoboCop 2 is the Ghostbusters 2 of RoboCop movies.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
THE TWO JAKES is the ROBOCOP 2 of CHINATOWN films.
Nope. I'm so very tired of sequels coming out past the franchise freshness date. Bill and Ted 3 is the only one that gets a pass.
I'd argue that a Blomkamp Robocop, while not necessary, is a lot more necessary than half of what Disney's putting out these days between the MCU, Star Wars, and live-action remakes of all their animated classics.

A low bar, yes, but some of you guys give passes to a LOT of unnecessary stuff because you're excited about it. Personally, I'm excited about the idea of a new Robocop movie with a story by the original writers that directly sequels the first one and is being directed by the guy that did District 9.
the empire never ended
No movie is necessary.
I’m all in. Back in 2009 I thought Blomkamp would be perfect for this job.

Since then, only two directors have really implied greatness going back: the woman that directed this year’s Revenge (who is my choice for any Black Widow movie) and Jeremy Saulnier.

Shut up, take my money, and then I’ll punch you in the face for good seats.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
While also acknowledging that depending on how the script turns out and which Blomkamp shows up (because there is a BIG difference between D9 Blomkamp and Chappie Blomkamp), this could fail spectacularly. But let them try, I say!

Man 2014 Robocop was such a lifeless plop of a movie. A few interesting ideas but no identity and terrible action. I really want to believe a dope modern Robocop film is possible. I think Blomkamp, for this very particular task, is as good a bet as any.

(07-11-2018, 04:47 PM)Mangy Wrote: No movie is necessary.

Of course, but I think we all recognize the semantic distinction here as far as when it comes to franchise properties and sequels and reboots and what-not vs. original stories.

Ahem, "original" stories.
the empire never ended
Once a franchise has had enough bad films and shows and Canadian TV movies as ROBOCOP I feel like they should just keep pumpin' 'em out. You're bound to get a good one eventually. So let's see what Neill can do.

Like I don't know why there haven't been at least 12 HIGHLANDER reboots by now.
That's the spirit!
the empire never ended
(07-11-2018, 02:46 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I also don't dig ignoring the flawed ROBOCOP 2.  For all of my many issues with the film, it still has value and merit and should not be disposed of when considering continuity.

I can't knock this when I pitched a fit over him trying to erase Alien 3 from continuity.

And RoboCop 2 is some goofy fun.

(07-11-2018, 02:57 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: ROBOCOP 2 is no ALIEN 3!

Also true.
This should follow the current naming trend of 80s resurrection movies and just be called Murphy.
The RoboCop.
RoboCop 2, Part II.
RoboCop Begins: The Dawn of Law Enforcement
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
RoboCop Rises: The OCP Chronicles
One thing I always appreciated about RoboCop 2 is that the hero is not the title character.
Well, it has to be R rated, naturally. I guess that with Trump in charge we're more likely to accept the kind of mad and terrible future the Robocop movies promise. Keep Robocop 2, though. That film is great.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Murphy disappears for like 20 whole minutes in the second half of Act II in RoboCop 2.
MURPHY'S LAW
R I S E  O F  T H E  R O B O C O P
Stale Elvis wins.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Robocop 2 gave us that sweet sweet Phil Tippett stop-motion animation...

[video=dailymotion]https://youtu.be/A56135DgHs8[/video]
Jones Wrote:Well, it has to be R rated, naturally.  I guess that with Trump in charge we're more likely to accept the kind of mad and terrible future the Robocop movies promise.  Keep Robocop 2, though.  That film is great.

The original sequel script from Neumier/Miner in the 80's had Bixby Snyder ("I'd buy that for a dollar!") running for President.
.... I kinda thought Robocop 2 had its moments ....
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
So still the only one who likes nu-Robocop.

I’ll accept it.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
(07-11-2018, 06:54 PM)ska oreo Wrote: So still the only one who likes nu-Robocop.

I’ll accept it.

nu-Robocop has one amazing scene (the "reveal" to Murphy of what has become of his body).

Other than that?  It's just a misfire for me on a lot of levels.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]