Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WESTERN Draft - Sign Up and Discussion
The western I was thinking of getting before, but decided against when I wasn't seeing anything calling it a western was Fool's Parade. Other stuff I was thinking about but never saw go were:

Will Penny
Navajo Joe
Apache Rifles
The Hunting Party
Viva Maria!
Day of the Outlaw
Goin' South
The Missouri Breaks
My Name is Nobody
Nevada Smith

Kind of surprised Nevada Smith never went.

(08-06-2018, 02:01 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: OPEN RANGE is tremendous. I took it I think in an 00s draft so I shied away this time. Should have been picked. Best post-2000 western.

I remember enjoying it quite a bit when I saw it, and I haven't seen all the post-2000 westerns, (I still need to see Slow West) but I'd take these over Open Range:

Appaloosa
Bone Tomahawk
Django Unchained
Hostiles
In a Valley of Violence
Sukiyaki Western Django
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Dark Valley
The Good the Bad the Weird
The Hateful Eight
The Proposition

Might even throw Lone Ranger and Seraphim Falls in there. Seraphim Falls would definitely be there if it wasn't for the whole ending 

Getting into stuff that isn't exactly the western timeframe that could be called westerns I'd throw No Country For Old Men, The Good Dinosaur, Lawless, and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada in too. Now I'm kind of wishing I'd picked The Good Dinosaur as the bonus, since I wasn't thinking about it until writing this.
Just an observation: most of the great Western movie stars - Duke, Mitchum, Stewart, Fonda, Scott, Jack, McQueen, Eastwood, Costner -were represented- with one glaring exception: Gregory Peck. DUEL IN THE SUN, THE GUNFIGHTER, BIG COUNTRY would all be in my top 100. He was an underrated genre presence. He's also awesome in BILLY TWO-HATS + MACKENNA'S GOLD.

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

MacKenna's Gold was on my list. That is a weird, weird movie.
(08-06-2018, 04:27 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: I strongly considered taking Deadwood as a bonus.

Now that's the best Western post-2000.  But even in a bonus round, I would have whined about that one.
LONE RANGER is deeply underrated.
home taping is killing music
It was my bonus before Borat popped up. Had to have that Dead Man synergy!
The last act of LONE RANGER is fantastic. The rest of the movie is OK, and I have a lot of issues with the lack of chemistry between Hammer and Depp, but holy cow is that final act solid. Once the William Tell Overture kicks in, the movie is honestly about as good as a movie can get.
Is it odd that Last of the Mohicans didn't go? Or is it more of a Northern?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
oh man, I spaced on LotM. I wish I'd grabbed that.
Great flick, too early and too far East for my rules.
It's a weird borderline one. Technically, it's more of a war film. It's pre-Revolution, which makes it tough.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah, I'd never consider Last of the Mohicans a Western.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
You could maybe argue that the frontier in LOTM is the "West" for that period in North American history. It's a fun argument.
home taping is killing music
See, I'll consider just about any frontier drama a western.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Oh, for a moment I was also thinking about maybe throwing Young Ones from a few years ago in there. At least as a bonus. But decided against it as it's a sci-fi movie taking place in the future and I wanted to keep everything unquestionably western setting wise.

(08-07-2018, 03:04 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Is it odd that Last of the Mohicans didn't go? Or is it more of a Northern?

If you're talking the '90s movie I've never really thought of it as a western. Same with the story in general. Although their are versions of the story that do seem like one. Outside of not really playing like a western, which takes the genre angle out; the story takes place like a hundred years before westerns generally do.

You know I'm kind of surprised Walker didn't go. The '80s draft had me expecting it'd go at least by round 2. But nobody ended up getting it.
I would taken it if it wasn't in my 80s draft.
(08-07-2018, 03:18 PM)flint Wrote: Great flick, too early and too far East for my rules.

I had pretty much same thought with regards to Ford's DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK.

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"