Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Buffyverse rises from the dead with an all-new series about an all-new slayer!
Midnight, Texas creator Monica Owusu-Breen has been tapped as writer, executive producer and showrunner of the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer a new slayer series set in the Buffyverse, with the original series’ creator and showrunner Whedon set to executive produce alongside original series’ exec producers Gail Berman, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui as well as Joe Earley from Berman’s Jackal Group.

The new version series, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/buffy-the-v...1202430592
Hard pass.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Is this a reboot or not? The article uses the term, but then goes on to say:

"...building on the mythology of the original."
"...the new slayer to be African American."
"...sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux."
It's a cash grab.
In 2003, Boone Daniels got a girl he was seeing pregnant. He called her dozens of times and sent hundreds of texts pressuring her to get an abortion. After he said that a baby would ruin their relationship, she finally gave in. She had the procedure done and he immediately dropped out of her life. She still suffers from depression.
The series finale of BUFFY, that resulted in the creation of new slayers, made a reboot unnecessary. Why not call it [INSERT NAME] THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and still take advantage of the preexisting Buffyverse mythology and characters?
Pass.
I'd be down with this if it was a continuation in the same world or if it was a prequel with that slayer Spike killed on the NY subway in the 70's. So far it sounds like bullshit pandering and unnecessary but I hope to be proved wrong.
PSN ID: Numbix2017
Eh... I have zero interest in watching a show and getting invested in a character who ultimately dies in a throwaway flashback.
(07-21-2018, 07:00 AM)The Freeman Wrote: Eh... I have zero interest in watching a show and getting invested in a character who ultimately dies in a throwaway flashback.

Well what if she uhh.....she came back to life after that and never told her son and has been secretly running around killing vampires and the story is her reconnecting with her son now....and she hasn't aged? Yeah that sounds stupid enough to work.

(07-21-2018, 02:36 AM)barry woodward Wrote: The series finale of BUFFY, that resulted in the creation of new slayers, made a reboot unnecessary. Why not call it [INSERT NAME] THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and still take advantage of the preexisting Buffyverse mythology and characters?

Yeah I do want to meet the black family that names their daughter Buffy.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Their announcement does not fill me with confidence.

"We don't know what it'll be about. We don't know who will be in it. We don't know where it will air, or anything else. Diverse!"

Mkay.
Gamertag: Tweakee
What if this is both a reboot and a continuation? What if the pilot starts with a mysterious man, his face obscured, dropping out of a portal? The episode sets up the new Buffy, the characters and world as you'd expect. At some point we hear a snippet of a news broadcast referring to Madam President. At the end of the episode the mysterious man is in a seafood restaurant, seated by a window with sunlight beaming in, his face still obscured. In a familiar voice, he orders a plate of shrimp. The waitress says: "Shrimp? I'm sorry sir, but I'm not sure what that is?" The man grumbles "bloody hell" as we finally see an aged, now human, Spike. He's on the world without shrimp. It's seems the magical barriers that separate dimensions has been compromised. Both Buffys and their respective Scooby Gangs must team up to save the multiverse.

This might be the thread where Barry’s “What If” engine finally revs up enough to achieve spaceflight.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
Buffy and its spin off Angel are my two all time favorite TV shows. That said the shows had there time and its time to move on. Even by season 7, there where a couple of times I forgot to set my VCR to tape Buffy and I didn't care. I hated the finale of the season 8 comic so much that I still believe there are no more good Buffy stories to tell.

One more thing, Supernatural has shown that TV shows don't have to go on forever.
[
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Supernatural didn't have to go on past a fifth season.  Supernatural has now been on the air longer than the original and extremely good myth arc era made it relevant.
Those wayward sons really have carried on.

Here's the thing...

If this show happens. It's not gonna be for fans of the previous show. We had OUR Buffy and it was great. It's gonna be for kids NOW that might not relate to a show that started 20 years ago and the high school experience of 20 years ago as opposed to now.

And I'm fine with that. I'm fine with Buffy being a thing that's updated for every generation. Let the kids get their own spooky vampire show they can obsess over.

Also, speaking personally; As a Luke Perry purist there really is only ONE Buffy that counts anyway.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Here's the thing...

There's more than enough room within the existing Buffyverse to deliver a show that's relevant to the whippersnappers of today. There are other slayers. Why can't the hero for this generation of kids be Makayla the Vampire Slayer, who lives in Anywhere, USA? Why must an entire universe of characters and lore be brushed aside just to capitalize on a name, Buffy, that holds no special meaning for the youngins?
If you go by the comics, all the other slayers lost their abilities so it’s only Buffy again. By those rules, for this new show to continue from that, Buffy would have to die for there to be a new Slayer. That’s depressing.

If you ignore the comics but continue from the old show, you piss off some old fans who have stayed invested.

Just do a hard reboot.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(07-25-2018, 05:50 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: If you go by the comics, all the other slayers lost their abilities so it’s only Buffy again. By those rules, for this new show to continue from that, Buffy would have to die for there to be a new Slayer. That’s depressing.
Ugh I......why did that happen?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Did it happen? Or rather, did it stick?

The description for the final issue of the current comic season: "Buffy, Fray, the Scoobies, and the Slayers are in an epic battle against Harth, and his army of baddies. His attempt to steal the power of the Slayers has brought Buffy and her crew to the turning point that they have been trying desperately to avoid."
Actually I did a little research and apparently Buffy took back all the power at the end of season 11, but then gave it back to all the slayers.

BUT it’s destined to happen, because Fray the future slayer lives in a world where at some point The Last Slayer stood alone against all demons and magic and banished them to another dimension.

That alone would give any continuation an end date. So again I say, hard reboot!

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

(07-25-2018, 06:07 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: BUT it’s destined to happen, because Fray the future slayer lives in a world where at some point The Last Slayer stood alone against all demons and magic and banished them to another dimension.

Buffy has never been one to let destiny get in her way. The current arc is all about changing that destined future. Could this be a 12 MONKEYS-esque scenario? Sure, but if this is the final season of the comic, why would they end it all with disempowerment? Also, does it seem fair to banish all demons to another dimension? What about the good ones like Lorne and Clem? What about the harm caused to the dimension they're banished to?
It’ll be a hard reboot. No showrunner will want to be stuck with all the baggage.

Much like when Disney bought Star Wars.

Poor Barry. Another EU torn from his breast.
(07-25-2018, 06:34 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: It’ll be a hard reboot. No showrunner will want to be stuck with all the baggage. Much like when Disney bought Star Wars.

Disney ditched the EU. They didn't hard reboot the entire saga. You see baggage. I see an epic mythology that can contain multitudes. Why alienate your built-in fanbase with a hard reboot when you can give them a new slayer with a clean slate without a reboot? I get it, the children are our future, but they're not going to care if the first vampire slayer they're introduced to is Makayla or Buffy.
Because the built-in fanbase is pushing 40. That's not the demographic they will be aiming at. If they come along for the ride, great, but they'll want to be hitting late teens to early twenties.

Buffy has always been about an extraordinary girl trying to live a normal life in extraordinary circumstances. The baggage of existing mythology will distract from that. The very forces that Buffy fights against (teachers, parents and authority figures) are now in OUR age group. A clean break makes that nice and simple.
If they created a new slayer and surrounded her with a new cast of characters, why would being able to draw from the preexisting mythology be baggage and not an asset?
How much you wanna bet, Barry? Throw out a number.

The 'lots of different slayers out there' thing for one. No Watchers as they're pretty much wiped out.

But mostly, because you are limited by world defining stories you have told before, when you are trying to tell something new. Even if you have an explanation for all this stuff, why waste screen time explaining it for new and old people to their satisfaction when you can just say 'this is a new thing'. How do you raise stakes when the previous Buffy already fought a God and the sheer manifestation of evil?

And tone. What if they want to go radically different? That's going to alienate the original fanbase anyway. Battlestar Galactica is a good example of that.

Hell, speaking of BSG, a reboot means you can retell the same story themes like The Pegasus in a new way, more relevant to todays audiences. What would the Mayor look like if Buffy was being written today? I'm pretty certain he wouldn't be a politically correct twee figure. Something more alt-right would be more relevant to the audience they are aiming at.
(07-25-2018, 07:35 AM)flint Wrote: The 'lots of different slayers out there' thing for one. No Watchers as they're pretty much wiped out.

But mostly, because you are limited by world defining stories you have told before, when you are trying to tell something new. Even if you have an explanation for all this stuff, why waste screen time explaining it for new and old people to their satisfaction when you can just say 'this is a new thing'. How do you raise stakes when the previous Buffy already fought a God and the sheer manifestation of evil?

And tone. What if they want to go radically different? That's going to alienate the original fanbase anyway. Battlestar Galactica is a good example of that.

Hell, speaking of BSG, a reboot means you can retell the same story themes like The Pegasus in a new way, more relevant to todays audiences. What would the Mayor look like if Buffy was being written today? I'm pretty certain he wouldn't be a politically correct twee figure. Something more alt-right would be more relevant to the audience they are aiming at.

Exactly. Continuing with the old continuity means new Slayer is not Buffy and not The Last Slayer (it's been vague if she's supposed to be Buffy, but is a blond white girl). 

By definition she'll never be as important. Unless you hard reboot.

BSG is a great example. It kind of, sort of references the old show by having there be a previous war years before (complete with old-style Cylons in flashbacks). This new Buffy could do something similar, referencing important events from decades ago but never solidifying anything.

Really though, has any TV show or movie continuation ever acknowledged EU material after there's been years since the last TV show or movie? Other than Doctor Who, I suppose.
I feel like I've spent a lifetime getting invested in Aliens/RoboCop/Terminator/Star Wars/Star Trek comics/books/video games that are OFFICIAL CANON only for them to be thrown out.

I actually do think there is a possibility that they use some of the old mythology. I wouldn't count on seeing any of the old regulars though. Team Barry!
I’ve got a shiny loonie that at least one episode has the Slayer snatching the guns from the hands of open carry survivalists that are making a bad situation worse.
Responding to waaaaaaaalt:

No.

*slides down a zipline, lands atop a bus*

They may hedge their bets and do both. First few episodes well received? They go their own way. Things start to slip? Call Eliza Dushku.
Doctor Who is a good example of a mix between reboot and continuation. When that returned it might as well have been a reboot, all new characters and a referenced mythology destroying event between the years. But that show had always played fast and loose with it's mythology.