Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Buffyverse rises from the dead with an all-new series about an all-new slayer!
WHA???
Honestly, I didn't put two and two together about that until you brought it up just now.

The fuck is with y'all and these secret squirrel code names anyhow? There are a million and one Reasors in the United States, and they should all be proud to be associated with my posts.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
see, flint, seeeee?
I feel like I have a new understanding of how powerful a simple change can be to disguise your identity. I take back everything I ever said about Clark Kent and his glasses.

Discord is a gaming server, unsurprisingly 'flint', (which had always been my nick on BBS, Usenet and IRC rooms) being as simple as it was was already taken on Playstation, Steam and Xbox when I signed up for those services, so I plonked the Red in front of it for no real reason. Makes it easier for peeps to find me online on those services if I have the same nick on Discord.
I got it, but it took me a bit. I think if you'd called yourself FlintRed instead it'd have clicked much faster. Brains are weird like that - even mine, which is the world's most normal brain.
Discord's utility as a VOIP app for gamers is a large part of why Saxon and a few others spend as much time there as they do, I think. It's not necessarily an indictment of the board.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
Trying to manhandle this topic back ... on topic. Did you know Buffy is a pet form of the female given name Elizabeth? ... somehow.
Elizabeth has so many associated nicknames. Eliza. Ella. Elie. Elsa. Etta. Liz. Liza. Libby. Bee. Bess. Bessie. Beth. Betty. Betsy. Bertie. And now Buffy? That's a name with a lotta range.

Any truth to the rumour that "Angel" is short for Angela?
Gary Newman, Fox Television Group Chairman and CEO:

"It's not on an incredibly, fast track, but we're hopeful. There's actually no script to see. We've sat down with creators and had conversations with them about it. It's a very exciting prospect. It's fairly early. We haven't pitched it to any possible licensees yet, all of that is still to come. We're thrilled that Joss has engaged Monica who he worked with on one of his other series. She's the person who is day to day on it. She has a great take on the show."

https://deadline.com/2018/08/buffy-the-v...202438980/
(08-02-2018, 10:16 PM)shan Wrote: Trying to manhandle this topic back ... on topic. Did you know Buffy is a pet form of the female given name Elizabeth? ... somehow.

But Buffy still might be her given name. Don't think Joss has confirmed either way
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
This will never happen. Between this and the HBO show, Whedon is putting a target on his back and it's only a matter of time before chickens come home to roost.
home taping is killing music
Buffy happens because they'll distance themselves from Whedon and emphasize the woman-of-color showrunner.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(08-04-2018, 11:03 AM)boone daniels Wrote: This will never happen. Between this and the HBO show, Whedon is putting a target on his back and it's only a matter of time before chickens come home to roost.

You are assuming his relationships on set weren't consensual.

I guarantee ever actress who worked with Whedon has already been contacted by several reporters.
(08-04-2018, 11:03 AM)boone daniels Wrote: This will never happen. Between this and the HBO show, Whedon is putting a target on his back and it's only a matter of time before chickens come home to roost.
Man you really need this to happen.

(08-04-2018, 12:02 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Buffy happens because they'll distance themselves from Whedon and emphasize the woman-of-color showrunner.
Bingo. I think that's part of the reason Whedon isn't more involved. If someone does come forward then Whedon simply gets let go. The network isn't going to kill the girl power show with the black female lead and the black female showrunner over Whedon, not in this climate.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(08-04-2018, 02:35 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(08-04-2018, 11:03 AM)boone daniels Wrote: This will never happen. Between this and the HBO show, Whedon is putting a target on his back and it's only a matter of time before chickens come home to roost.
Man you really need this to happen.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Boone expects Whedon to do, crawl in a hole? He's always going to be drawn to female empowerment narratives, and considering women are half the population, I don't see how he avoids putting that target on his back. If he downplays female roles going forward, that too would draw attention. The only thing he can do is continue following his muse and keep moving forward, come what may.
Honestly, going away is definitely an option. Whedon's never going to need another paycheck, and young actresses are never going to need him pawing them.
(08-04-2018, 03:50 PM)Reasor Wrote: ...young actresses are never going to need him pawing them.

Who's accused him of that?
I'm gonna pretend that you didn't just pretend not to know about him confessing to his wife that he spent years banging insecure young actresses.
(08-04-2018, 04:04 PM)Reasor Wrote: I'm gonna pretend that you didn't just pretend not to know about him confessing to his wife that he spent years banging insecure young actresses.

Sure but he didn't confess to PAWING. Only sex. And so far it's consensual.....so far.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
and his fans, I think?
(08-04-2018, 04:12 PM)Nooj Wrote: and his fans, I think?

That's right! Don't forget the fans.
Reasor: Like waaaaaaaalt said, you used the word pawing, which is a completely different kettle of fish.
(08-04-2018, 04:04 PM)Reasor Wrote: I'm gonna pretend that you didn't just pretend not to know about him confessing to his wife that he spent years banging insecure young actresses.
Again this is his wife's perspective of what he said. Joss has said his wife misrepresented what he said. What his wife said s not fact. It's not like she may have an ax to grind.

If actresses come forward and say different then that's another story.
We can't afford to be imprecise with things like this, lest it turn into a game of telephone. Someone who isn't as familiar with the issue sees Reasor's "pawing" comment and takes it literally. Then that person comments on his friend's Facebook post about the new show to say they're boycotting because Whedon is a groper. Then all the people that see that comment are like "Woah, I didn't know he went that far." Then on and on as the story gets more and more extreme.
I guarantee you that the power dynamics of the set of Buffy and Angel were such that "consensual" relationships between a director/showrunner and talent were grey-area at best.

Anyway, I can all but guarantee a story about Whedon breaks within the next year. He wasn't working on anything when the letter from his ex-wife broke. He is now. That makes it a better scoop.

So this will never happen.

also whedon's female empowerment narratives are problematic and incredibly fraught but boy do i love them don't at me
Look, the structure is designed like that ejector seat from Die Hard 2. If there's a problem of sufficient magnitude, someone hits the button and it takes Joss Whedon with it away from the rest of the production. Only difference here to the movie in this metaphor is that it's the ejector seat that explodes, not the plane.
(08-05-2018, 06:40 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Anyway, I can all but guarantee a story about Whedon breaks within the next year. He wasn't working on anything when the letter from his ex-wife broke. He is now. That makes it a better scoop.

So this will never happen.

But he was. That letter dropped in August of last year, and Justice League was in November. The press tour in particular would have been the time for anything more to break, since there was already blood in the water with that movie.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

wasn't whedon completely absent from justice league's press tour?
Yeah, once they decided Snyder was the credited director, Whedon took a step back. I also think they made it clear it was he was doing Snyder a favor and didn't want to take credit. So he wasn't front and center the way he is with these.
So you guys are saying the press, just four months after Entertainment Weekly celebrated Buffy's 20th anniversary and just two months before a movie everyone knew Whedon did massive reshoots on even if WB was playing it down, just decided to let a story lie?

And then in February when he left Batgirl, the press didn't take the opportunity then?

It's been weeks since the HBO and Buffy projects were announced. Why haven't the press jumped on it yet?

When exactly is it going to happen?

(08-05-2018, 06:40 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I guarantee you that the power dynamics of the set of Buffy and Angel were such that "consensual" relationships between a director/showrunner and talent were grey-area at best.

Anyway, I can all but guarantee a story about Whedon breaks within the next year. He wasn't working on anything when the letter from his ex-wife broke. He is now. That makes it a better scoop.
I looked it up and ALL former Buffy actresses refused to give comment on the story. SMG said she wouldn't comment on others the personal lives of other people.

Joss's wife threw all the women Joss worked with under the bus-even those that didn't sleep with him. It wasn't her story to tell and they aren't going to back her up.
(08-05-2018, 12:08 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: So you guys are saying the press, just four months after Entertainment Weekly celebrated Buffy's 20th anniversary and just two months before a movie everyone knew Whedon did massive reshoots on even if WB was playing it down, just decided to let a story lie?

And then in February when he left Batgirl, the press didn't take the opportunity then?

It's been weeks since the HBO and Buffy projects were announced. Why haven't the press jumped on it yet?

When exactly is it going to happen?

oh I was just saying that Whedon was kept pretty backgrounded for the promotion of justice league, that's all

as for everything else?  I have no idea!
I just think it's possible for Whedon to be an asshole for sleeping around without being a rapist.

It's not differentiating between the two, like, say, equating bad jokes about pedophilia with actually being a pedophile, that's gotten us where we are now.

Whedon was their boss, in an industry that is cruel and unfair to young women, particularly young women. Any relationship may be consensual, but there's also a power dynamic to it that is inherently problematic and worth thinking about - particularly if he's going to be put back in charge of young women.

No one is saying he's a rapist. But what I am saying is that I think it seems like he has a tendency to abuse his power (see: Charisma Carpenter) when it comes to women under his employ. If we're going to differentiate between the varying degrees of bad behavior, then we should acknowledge that you don't have to be Harvey Weinstein to be unethical in your approach to power dynamics on set. I'd argue that it's the failure to see the nuance that's gotten to where we are now.

I think after the Aziz Ansari story and the George Takei story, the press has gotten very careful at making sure these stories are corroborated and nailed down dead to rights. So it may be less about timing and more about making sure - if there is, in fact, a story - that it's backed up. Particularly when it's Whedon.

And I get that he means a lot to you guys - he means a lot to me, too - but it's a little weird that people seem to have no problem cancelling people left and right yet balk when Whedon comes up. Anya, you in particular have been gung-ho and gleefully salivating over Dan Schneider's eventual demise, but the stories about him are about as thin as the stories about Whedon. What's the difference, yo?
(08-05-2018, 12:53 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Whedon was their boss, in an industry that is cruel and unfair to young women, particularly young women. Any relationship may be consensual, but there's also a power dynamic to it that is inherently problematic and worth thinking about - particularly if he's going to be put back in charge of young women.

No one is saying he's a rapist. But what I am saying is that I think it seems like he has a tendency to abuse his power (see: Charisma Carpenter) when it comes to women under his employ. If we're going to differentiate between the varying degrees of bad behavior, then we should acknowledge that you don't have to be Harvey Weinstein to be unethical in your approach to power dynamics on set. I'd argue that it's the failure to see the nuance that's gotten to where we are now.

I think after the Aziz Ansari story and the George Takei story, the press has gotten very careful at making sure these stories are corroborated and nailed down dead to rights. So it may be less about timing and more about making sure - if there is, in fact, a story - that it's backed up. Particularly when it's Whedon.

And I get that he means a lot to you guys - he means a lot to me, too - but it's a little weird that people seem to have no problem cancelling people left and right yet balk when Whedon comes up. Anya, you in particular have been gung-ho and gleefully salivating over Dan Schneider's eventual demise, but the stories about him are about as thin as the stories about Whedon. What's the difference, yo?

Well what Schneider is accused of is just far worse. If true there is literally no way any of it could be consensual on any level. There does seem to be more out there floating about him there I hear every week.