Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHARP OBJECTS on HBO
Still no thread for this?

Adams is obviously carrying the thing, but it's interesting how it feels like HBO is almost developing an expanded cinematic universe with its pulpy miniseries.  It doesn't feel like a stretch to imagine the gals from Big Little Lies dropping in to some of the scenes of Camille trying to make nice with the townsfolk, or for Rust Cohle to come by and consult on the heavier murder investigation bits.
I need to watch this, as I stan hard for Gillian Flynn - but this is one where I want to read the book first. It's a fast read; I just need to find the time.
home taping is killing music
I tried getting through the pilot twice, bailed near the end. Goddamn it was bad. The cliches were unbearable.

The product placement was ridiculous too. Boy, I sure could go for a nip of Absolut vodka and a Parliament cigarette right now.

We get it, show. She's the kind of gritty hard drinking newspaper journalist that definitely exists in real life. She drinks and she DRINKS, oh how she drinks. As we learned from 7 seasons of Mad Men, simply watching a character smoke and drink endlessly will automatically make them interesting.

I imagine once the painfull introductions are finally dispensed with, there could be some interesting plot stuff. I'll wait and see what you guys say.
I totally get where your coming from Kyle Reese; I very nearly bailed out of the pilot myself. But once I changed my expectations, it worked a lot better for me.

Sharp Objects is not True Detective. And while it's also dealing with women being murdered in a southern ass southern town, Sharp Objects is far more interested in its central character and her mother. Looking at it from that lens, I think the show goes down easier.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I was on board for the past couple episodes, but number four was unbearably bad. With each episode, I'm finding the style more and more insufferable. The quick cuts to her past went from novel to grating very quickly.
Are parts of Missouri really like the old South? Seems like this would have made more sense set in South Carolina or something.

This could have easily been condensed to 6 and not 8 episodes. So much nothing
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(07-30-2018, 09:07 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Are parts of Missouri really like the old South? Seems like this would have made more sense set in South Carolina or something.

Yes. Missouri was a slave state.
home taping is killing music
I know it was a slave state but I didn't realize it was a Foghorn Leghorn slave state.

This last episode was a real stress-test of how much Amy Adams can bear on quiet charisma alone.  There was a single new break in the case which got one tossed off line of acknowledgment, and as far as I could tell, absolutely no new information about the characters.   The ethereal editing style was/would be evocative and striking at feature length, but its wearing out its welcome week in, week out.
I made it about 35-40 minutes into the first ep, found myself bored silly, and spoiled myself on the plot of the source material.

I happily checked out at that point, and have no plans on returning. Adams is a favorite of mine (plus Clarkson! the return of Czerny!) but it could not hold my attention, and knowing where the story is likely going, I saved myself the hours and likely "WTF?" reaction.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Having seen it all, I'm of the mind that Gone Girl, with its episodic plot, should have been an HBO miniseries, while this should have been a 2 hr feature.
That was a REALLY dumb way to end this show.
(08-26-2018, 11:36 PM)schwartz Wrote: Having seen it all, I'm of the mind that Gone Girl, with its episodic plot, should have been an HBO miniseries, while this should have been a 2 hr feature.

(08-27-2018, 12:20 AM)andrevellozo Wrote: That was a REALLY dumb way to end this show.

Oye... So does this mean HBO is 0 and 3 for summer hot shows? I didn't dig The Night Of..., couldn't get through The Deuce, and as much as I like the actors in Sharp Objects, I haven't gotten past episode 1. Succession is kind of working, but, I fear a bizarre left twist.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
I've been DVRing SHARP OBJECTS. I though that the word on it was supposed to be good, and now I'm seeing that a lot of you guys think that it borderline sucks. that's disappointing.

In the meantime, we started SUCCESSION last night and we're digging it. Some good, dark humor in there.
I didn't hate it. Its really well-made and acted. There are two big problems with it. One, it's slooooowwww. Could've been 4 or 5 really strong episodes instead of 8. And two, it presents itself as a mystery, but its not a mystery at all. Its a "going back to your childhood town" story with a murder backdrop.

The "going home", storyline work fine, but the murder stuff is so frustrating. They never give you a real grasp on the murder case, so its not like you watch and can pick out clues or formulate your own theories. On the whole, it comes across as the creators knowing they have a really good ending, but being too afraid of tipping their hand. Instead of playing fair, they keep things vague and obtuse so that the audience never really knows what's going on.

They do these quick flashes to give you hints of things, but in an age of DVR, they've just given you a chore. "Okay, let's rewind and see what they was again." In a series that already feels too long already, making the viewer work for hints about what they're seeing is almost an act of aggression towards the audience.

By the fourth episode, I went to wikipedia to see what happened in the book. I think know what happened helped me be less frustrated with it and probably made it more enjoyable.
(08-27-2018, 11:58 AM)MrTyres Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 11:36 PM)schwartz Wrote: Having seen it all, I'm of the mind that Gone Girl, with its episodic plot, should have been an HBO miniseries, while this should have been a 2 hr feature.

(08-27-2018, 12:20 AM)andrevellozo Wrote: That was a REALLY dumb way to end this show.

Oye... So does this mean HBO is 0 and 3 for summer hot shows? I didn't dig The Night Of..., couldn't get through The Deuce, and as much as I like the actors in Sharp Objects, I haven't gotten past episode 1. Succession is kind of working, but, I fear a bizarre left twist.

Succession is absolutely wonderful and keeps getting better as it goes on IMO. Sharp Objects is still worth a watch because of its excellent cast (even though I maintain that Adams was very wrong for the part) and soundtrack but, sweet baby jesus, what a stupid, silly, downright slapstick ending.

Also felt the (idiotic) twist had been telegraphed by episode 6. I was surprised my brothers were surprised by it.
(08-27-2018, 01:16 PM)hypnotoad Wrote: By the fourth episode, I went to wikipedia to see what happened in the book.  I think know what happened helped me be less frustrated with it and probably made it more enjoyable.

I did this after episode 1 and gladly checked out. I've read the show diverges at least somewhat from the book, but regardless: not my kind of story.

Nothing I'm reading here has me reconsidering.

I am curious about Succession, though.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Succession's good.

Considering the actress who played Bev in last year's It plays a young Camille, I'm honestly surprised there was no push for Amy Adams to to continue the role of Bev in Chapter Two.

A better match than Chastain, IMO.
(08-27-2018, 04:05 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Succession's good.

Considering the actress who played Bev in last year's It plays a young Camille, I'm honestly surprised there was no push for Amy Adams to to continue the role of Bev in Chapter Two.

A better match than Chastain, IMO.

She worked with the director previously so I think that pretty much did it.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
What a trash ending.