Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Just Facebook" Thread
I figured we could use a place for discussing our favorite social media entrepenuer and potential 2020 candidate.
home taping is killing music
Oh, I don't know, I like keeping him over in the Trumpocalypse thread, in full view of the travesty he helped bring about.
Mark Zuckerberg really likes Caesar Augustus:

“Basically,” Mr. Zuckerberg told The New Yorker, “through a really harsh approach, he established 200 years of world peace.”

A must read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/busin...alley.html

Quote:The futurist philosopher Yuval Noah Harari worries about a lot.

He worries that Silicon Valley is undermining democracy and ushering in a dystopian hellscape in which voting is obsolete.

He worries that by creating powerful influence machines to control billions of minds, the big tech companies are destroying the idea of a sovereign individual with free will.

He worries that because the technological revolution’s work requires so few laborers, Silicon Valley is creating a tiny ruling class and a teeming, furious “useless class.”

But lately, Mr. Harari is anxious about something much more personal. If this is his harrowing warning, then why do Silicon Valley C.E.O.s love him so?

“One possibility is that my message is not threatening to them, and so they embrace it?” a puzzled Mr. Harari said one afternoon in October. “For me, that’s more worrying. Maybe I’m missing something?”

When Mr. Harari toured the Bay Area this fall to promote his latest book, the reception was incongruously joyful. Reed Hastings, the chief executive of Netflix, threw him a dinner party. The leaders of X, Alphabet’s secretive research division, invited Mr. Harari over. Bill Gates reviewed the book (“Fascinating” and “such a stimulating writer”) in The New York Times.

“I’m interested in how Silicon Valley can be so infatuated with Yuval, which they are — it’s insane he’s so popular, they’re all inviting him to campus — yet what Yuval is saying undermines the premise of the advertising- and engagement-based model of their products,” said Tristan Harris, Google’s former in-house design ethicist and the co-founder of the Center for Humane Technology.

Part of the reason might be that Silicon Valley, at a certain level, is not optimistic on the future of democracy. The more of a mess Washington becomes, the more interested the tech world is in creating something else, and it might not look like elected representation. Rank-and-file coders have long been wary of regulation and curious about alternative forms of government. A separatist streak runs through the place: Venture capitalists periodically call for California to secede or shatter, or for the creation of corporate nation-states. And this summer, Mark Zuckerberg, who has recommended Mr. Harari to his book club, acknowledged a fixation with the autocrat Caesar Augustus. “Basically,” Mr. Zuckerberg told The New Yorker, “through a really harsh approach, he established 200 years of world peace.”

Mr. Harari, thinking about all this, puts it this way: “Utopia and dystopia depends on your values.”
I enjoy Yuval Noah Harari's work quite a bit.

Can he run for president?
Zuckerberg/Harare 2020!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Said it before and I'll say it again: 90% of Silicon Valley bigwigs fantasize about being honest-to-God modern-day feudal lords. Maybe they've forgotten about what a horde of angry serfs can do.

(Actually, maybe that's why they're so obsessed with making all their products thin and lightweight and useless for bludgeoning.)
Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's chief operating officer, has been working with a Republican opposition research firm to discredit anti-Facebook activists and linking them to George Soros:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/techn...e=Homepage

Here's David Cicilline, the incoming Democratic chair of the House antitrust committee, on today's big Facebook news:

https://twitter.com/davidcicilline/statu...0724630528

Quote:This staggering report makes clear that @Facebook executives will always put their massive profits ahead of the interests of their customers.

We’ve known for some time that @Facebook chose to turn a blind eye to the spread of hate speech and Russian propaganda on its platform.

Now we know that once they knew the truth, top @Facebook executives did everything they could to hide it from the public by using a playbook of suppressing opposition and propagating conspiracy theories.

It is long past time for us to take action.

I am confident that, despite @Facebook’s best efforts to buy Congress’s silence, the will of the American people will prevail.

Next January, Congress should get to work enacting new laws to hold concentrated economic power to account, address the corrupting influence of corporate money in our democracy, and restore the rights of Americans.
Yessssssss. Burn it all down.
(11-14-2018, 09:35 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Here's David Cicilline, the incoming Democratic chair of the House antitrust committee, on today's big Facebook news:

https://twitter.com/davidcicilline/statu...0724630528
Cool...I presume they'll take Chuck "It's True, This Man Has No Dick" Schumer to task for intervening on their behalf?
Has it been mentioned yet that one of the architects of this Facebook/Soros anti-semitic smear campaign is Tim Miller, Pod Save America's resident "Good" Republican?
(11-15-2018, 01:16 PM)Amos Wrote: Has it been mentioned yet that one of the architects of this Facebook/Soros anti-semitic smear campaign is Tim Miller, Pod Save America's resident "Good" Republican?

Wow! https://splinternews.com/pod-fails-america-1830463026

Favreau's snarky "NOT GREAT CHUCK!" riiiiight before finding out Miller was involved is pretty funny.
Between this and SimpliSafe, it's not been a good week for the lanyards
I could say plenty about this hard-on people seem to have when it comes to PSA, and I did in the other thread, but at least the Pod Save guys have a basic understanding of how American democracy works, which is more than I can say for Splinter News, whose chief political writer, white dude Hamilton Nolan, recently wrote a piece which suggested we could impose term limits on the Supreme Court and a whole bunch of other stuff by just...passing...a bill! It was easily one of the most idiotic pieces of political writing I think I've ever read, and I had to read Charles Krauthammer.

Nolan is one of these guys who thinks that identity politics are nonsense and class is everything, by the way.
Big fan of defending PSA WHILE ALSO throwing out an UGH WHITE DUDES in the same sentence. Top-notch Boonery.

I don't pay attention much to the PSA guys, not enough to get a "hard on," but it appears that someone associated with their show did a craven, stupid, hypocritical, awful thing. They should probably do that less.
I can acknowledge that there are valid complaints about the white milquetoast nature of Pod Save America - though it's to be said that the whole Crooked Media podcast network has been way more diverse when it comes to hosts and podcasts centered around intersectionality, faster, in less time than anyone since maybe Buzzfeed - while acknowledging that there is a very specific kind of white dude who seems to think that economic anxiety and class warfare trump all other issues, and that identity politics are silly, and that one set of white dudes hates the other set of white dudes.

I contain multitudes, motherfucker. Wink I'm off to do one of the whitest things imaginable - see a taped production of a cult Broadway musical set in the 1940s!
(11-15-2018, 06:33 PM)Mangy Wrote: Big fan of defending PSA WHILE ALSO throwing out an UGH WHITE DUDES in the same sentence. Top-notch Boonery.

And in response to an article that does little more than “accuse” PSA of Activism While White Dude.

Once the snake get ahold of the tail, it just keeps twisting.
I do like the "spend money to thwart Chris McDaniel's electoral chances" part of this story.  I do not, however, like the other part:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-faceboo...-super-pac

Quote:As embattled incumbent Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) faces scrutiny over racially tinged comments, she’s relying on the support of one of the biggest names in Silicon Valley to help her down the stretch of her increasingly tight runoff race.

Sean Parker, the founding president of Facebook and the founder of the pioneering music sharing service Napster, provided a huge cash infusion this year for the Mississippi Victory Fund, one of a handful of high-dollar political groups backing Hyde-Smith’s election. 

He made the donation in an effort to defeat Mississippi state senator Chris McDaniel, Hyde-Smith’s controversial Republican opponent, during their primary race. And it worked—McDaniel, a man who had ties to the neo-Confederate movement, took money from figures connected to the KKK, and made numerous inflammatory comments about women and minorities, lost badly. 

But the leftover funds are now being used to help Hyde-Smith in her runoff against her Democratic opponent, former congressman and Department of Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy. And they’re being spent as Hyde-Smith herself comes under intense criticism, first over remarks earlier this month in which she joked that she would attend a supporter’s “public hanging;” and then a report Tuesday that Hyde-Smith had posted a photo of herself at a memorial to Confederate president Jefferson Davis, donning a Confederate military cap, with a caption that read, in part, “Mississippi history at its best!”

In a statement to The Daily Beast, a spokesperson for Parker tried to distance him from the Senator. “Mr. Parker doesn’t know Cindy Hyde-Smith and finds her rhetoric reprehensible,” the spokesperson said. “His contribution from early this year was a continuation of the effort to defeat McDaniel.” 
More lies from Facebook:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rya...ers-george

Quote:Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg requested research on a perceived company enemy, the billionaire George Soros, according to an internal email described to BuzzFeed News and confirmed by Facebook.

Sandberg has previously said that she was unaware of the work done by Definers Public Affairs, a communications firm that Facebook hired for public relations and opposition research on competitors and critics, including Soros. While Facebook acknowledged its relationship with Definers following a revealing New York Times story, the company has insisted that its two top executives, Sandberg and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, had little, if any, knowledge of the company’s relationship with the firm or its work.

While a Facebook spokesperson maintains that Sandberg did not direct Definers, it now acknowledges that she did in fact request research on Soros following comments he made at the World Economic Forum in January. During a speech, the billionaire said that Facebook and Google were a "menace" to the world and that the "internet monopolies" did not have the will or inclination to protect society.

"We researched potential motivations behind George Soros's criticism of Facebook in January 2018," a Facebook spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. "Mr. Soros is a prominent investor and we looked into his investments and trading activity related to Facebook. That research was already underway when Sheryl sent an email asking if Mr. Soros had shorted Facebook's stock. Sheryl never directed research on Freedom from Facebook. But as she said before she takes full responsibility for any activity that happened on her watch."
I think Sandberg is out by February.

Zuck escapes unscathed.
Burn it a-...

Sorry, channeling Commodore.

I see Neil has me covered.
Well, absolutely agree in this case. Facebook is a pox on society.

Hindsight being 20/20, maybe myspace was all the social media we needed. You could still get in touch with old friends but wasn't all the baggage.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Some previously sealed Facebook documents have just been released.  

This one shows that the company engineered ways to access users' call history without alerting them.  The team considered the move a high PR risk, but decided to go ahead anyway:

https://twitter.com/ashk4n/status/1070349123516170240

Would absolutely love love LOVE to see Facebook go down in flames.
(12-01-2018, 03:01 AM)chaz Wrote: Hindsight being 20/20, maybe myspace was all the social media we needed. You could still get in touch with old friends but wasn't all the baggage.

Yes but....Dane Cook.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Ohhhh yeah. That's not sinister at all. Especially not the part where they talk about how obviously sinister it is and then decide to do it anyway.
(12-05-2018, 03:04 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Ohhhh yeah. That's not sinister at all. Especially not the part where they talk about how obviously sinister it is and then decide to do it anyway.

'Hey guys!  This is blatantly unethical and probably illegal, but marketing approved it.  Maybe it's not a smart idea to communicate about fraudulent activity via email?'
I think if there's one thing I've learned from the last two years, it's that sinister evil organizations can be surprisingly stupid.
Facebook's local news algorithm played a huge part in France's three-week riots.  Also, it led to prominence for conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers there:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rya...s-facebook

Quote:This week, protesters scaled the Arc de Triomphe, burned cars, and clashed with police in the third consecutive weekend of riots in France. More than 300 people were arrested in Paris last weekend alone, and 37,000 law enforcement officers have been deployed around the country to restore order.

The “Gilets Jaunes” or “Yellow Jackets” protests have only gotten more violent since they began last month. Three people have died, hundreds more have been injured. To hear the protesters tell it, they’re marching through the streets to fight back against rising fuel prices and the high cost of living in the country. Beyond that, though, it’s an ideological free-for-all. Fights have also been witnessed among demonstrators, and some have sent death threats to other protesters.

But what’s happening right now in France isn’t happening in a vacuum. The Yellow Jackets movement — named for the protesters’ brightly colored safety vests — is a beast born almost entirely from Facebook. And it’s only getting more popular. Recent polls indicate the majority of France now supports the protesters. The Yellow Jackets communicate almost entirely on small, decentralized Facebook pages. They coordinate via memes and viral videos. Whatever gets shared the most becomes part of their platform.

Due to the way algorithm changes made earlier this year interacted with the fierce devotion in France to local and regional identity, the country is now facing some of the worst riots in many years — and in Paris, the worst in half a century.

This isn’t the first time real-life violence has followed a viral Facebook storm and it certainly won’t be the last. Much has already been written about the anti-Muslim Facebook riots in Myanmar and Sri Lanka and the WhatsApp lynchings in Brazil and India. Well, the same process is happening in Europe now, on a massive scale. Here’s how Facebook tore France apart.

And:

Quote:So, Facebook tweaked its algorithm and local Anger Groups spread across French Facebook at a shocking speed. The groups were able to organize a dozen or so decent-sized protests last winter. French départements are numbered, so between January and February, demonstrations with names like “Anger 24” or “Anger 87” would pop up, shut down roads, and protest things like labor law reforms, reducing the speed limits on busy roads, or proposed local vaccination plans. France’s anti-vax movement is particularly nasty at the moment and Anger Groups were, and still are, a hotbed of anti-vax misinformation.
Well, I would definitely like to know more about this:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ken...ok-to-drum

Quote:Just days before the migrant caravan set out from Honduras, an imposter stole the identity of a prominent early supporter on Facebook, using a fake account to try to boost the caravan’s numbers.

Bartolo Fuentes, a Honduran activist, journalist, and former lawmaker told BuzzFeed News that someone used the phony account to send Facebook messages falsely claiming that established migrant groups were organizing the effort. News like that — coming from a well-known public figure in Honduras, such as Fuentes — could go a long way to convincing people to join the group of migrants traveling to the US.

The caravan, which threaded north through Guatemala and Mexico, eventually ballooned in size to more than 7,000 people. It also became a political flashpoint in the lead-up to last month’s US midterm elections.

In response to a query from BuzzFeed News, a Facebook spokesperson said the phony account “was removed for violating [the company’s] misrepresentation policy,” but declined to share any further information, such as what country it originated from, what email address was used to open it, or any other details that might reveal who was behind it. Facebook added that, barring a subpoena or request from law enforcement, it does not share such information out of respect for the privacy of its users.

Fuentes said he believes it’s important to find out who was behind the rogue account — but hasn’t gotten any answers from Facebook. “Who knows how many messages could have been sent and who received them?”
(12-05-2018, 03:30 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I think if there's one thing I've learned from the last two years, it's that sinister evil organizations can be surprisingly stupid.

To quote Stephen King, "Evil is real, but its also dumb."
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Facebook allowed racist Tommy Robinson to receive donations (possibly hundreds of thousands of pounds) using a tool meant only for charities. When The Guardian contacted them, Facebook switched it off within hours:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018...are_btn_tw
Boy, it's almost like having nobody minding the store except your oh-so-brilliant algorithms is kinda stupid or something!