Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The "Just Facebook" Thread
Warren campaigning on breaking up Big Tech was a big part of why I wanted her to be president.
Tom could be the hero we need if he'd bring back Myspace as it was 15 years ago.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
The huge mistake Facebook made was throwing in with the Reich Wing.

If Zuckerberg et al had any foresight, they'd have known that they were the frog, and Republicans were the scorpion.

Now they've got both parties targeting them, so they may actually lose.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(12-09-2020, 09:15 PM)Reasor Wrote: Tom could be the hero we need if he'd bring back Myspace as it was 15 years ago.
I had forgotten Tom. Thank you for reminding me of that great man.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Tom living in his nice big house going "We could have been awesome together but you broke up with me. Eat shit." *sips super expensive coffee out of a He-Man mug*
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-09-2020, 11:19 PM)farsight Wrote: The huge mistake Facebook made was throwing in with the Reich Wing.

If Zuckerberg et al had any foresight, they'd have known that they were the frog, and Republicans were the scorpion.

Now they've got both parties targeting them, so they may actually lose.

The mistake the public makes is assuming that Zuckerberg/Facebook aren’t wanna be authoritarians.

Zuck and DJT are cut from the same narcissistic cloth.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
And now 10 states have filed an anti-trust suit against Google.

Part of the complaint alleges a 'conspiracy with Facebook.'
Follow the link for a long Twitter thread on how Facebook still sucks during elections:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/134...8527909890

Quote:1. I know it's Christmas Eve but people should understand what's happening with Facebook ads and the Georgia Senate runoffs.

These elections will determine the trajectory of American politics for the next two years.

Facebook's conduct is indefensible

Follow along if interested
https://twitter.com/sheeraf/status/1347660463509622784

Quote:Thank you to the Facebook engineer who just sent me this message. (Shared with permission).  "The blight that is QAnon is going to be on our hands forever. I am going to be apologizing to my kids for enabling these a**holes."
This makes for an interesting read...
Follow the $$$
Quote:Dave Troy
@davetroy

So let’s talk about Parler. Where did it come from? Founder John Matze met his now wife, Alina Mukhutdinova, in May 15, 2016 in Las Vegas. Alina is from Kazan, Russia. She was on a two week road trip “vacation” across the USA with a friend.
6:16 AM · Nov 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/davetroy/status/1327253991936454663
Quote:John was involved in a couple of unremarkable tech companies with college friend Jared Thomson. After a short stint working at Amazon in Seattle, and being unhappy there, he and Alina return to Vegas and decide to marry. They traveled to Russia in November 2017.
Quote:John and Alina were married December 2, 2017 in Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia. They were married in a government facility overseen by Alina’s mother, Gulnara Mukhutdinova, a longtime government functionary. Gulnara’s mother was an “Honored Builder of Russia” in Soviet times.
Quote:John and Alina traveled in Russia and in Europe extensively between December and July 2018. They returned to Vegas and launched Parler with Jared Thomson in August 2018. Almost no one joined between August and December 2018; it was in early alpha stages.
[more]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I wish I could say I thought of it.... 'Funeral Parler'

Quote:Amazon Is Booting Parler Off Of Its Web Hosting Service

Amazon's suspension of Parler's account means that unless it can find another host, once the ban takes effect on Sunday Parler will go offline.
Looks like Parler's been dropped by literally every vendor they were using

The free market works, folks!
*sad trombone*
My fear is that they'll end up here, where there's no moderation, and they'll all have shitty taste in CBMs.
Northern Idaho:

https://www.khq.com/news/we-dont-condone...4188a.html

Quote:A North Idaho wireless internet provider says they will be making it easier for their customers to block Facebook and Twitter, after they said they've received "non-stop calls" from their customers asking them to do so.

KHQ spoke with YourT1Wifi owner Bret Fink who said the decision to do this was based only on logistics, not political ideology. Fink says many of his customers aren't tech savvy and he is simply trying to do his best to help as many customers as possible in as easy a way as possible. Fink says following Facebook and Twitter's decision to ban President Donald Trump from the sites, he heard from many customers saying the sites propagate misinformation and are wrongly censoring the President. He says many of his customers are concerned that the sites could negatively impact their children and their community. So he's taken steps to block them, which will go into effect Wednesday, January 13th.

Fink says an email that went out over the weekend was confusing to some people. And KHQ heard from some customers who felt that Fink was the one censoring information, by blocking them from receiving Facebook and Twitter. He says a clarifying email went out Monday morning, which you can read in full below:
It'll be hard for the rest of the year to top this bad take, but I feel like some Republican somewhere will figure it out:

https://twitter.com/KSVesq/status/1349122359526109192

[Image: ErkLoo1XEB4Nt7_?format=jpg&name=900x900]
There aren't enough Nathan Fillion .gifs in the internet to do justice to how wrong that take is.
I just can't believe this amount of conservative silencing... oh, wait:

https://twitter.com/FacebooksTop10/statu...6948548611

Quote:The top-performing link posts by U.S. Facebook pages in the last 24 hours are from:

1. Dan Bongino
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Breitbart
4. Dan Bongino
5. Ben Shapiro
6. NPR
7. Fox News
8. CNN
9. Fox News
10. Fox News
"210 people laugh-reacted at a video of an Indigenous woman being brutalized by the Wasilla PD. Not only is this racist and dehumanizing, it's a symptom of a larger, systemic problem in Alaska, particularly against Alaska Natives."

https://www.anchoragepress.com/columnist...66cf4.html

Quote:And it made people mad. Some told me I was a “liberal moron.” Others said because this woman was assumed to be drunk or on drugs, that she deserved that violence. Some even said there is nothing wrong with laughing at someone who broke the law, further dehumanizing a fellow Alaskan.

That’s when Facebook reacted, and told me that I was “targeting people for physical harm,” even though all I post proof of their laugh reacts. Facebook restricted my account for 24 hours, not allowing me to post, comment or like other comments or post… only to let me back, unrestricted, less than an hour later, after I chose to disagree with their ruling. Facebook acknowledged that they had made a mistake, and rescinded my restriction...only to serve me ANOTHER notice saying I was restricted...which was ALSO undone almost immediately, after showing me a 22-hour restriction notice.
Facebook banned Australia from posting news articles just to avoid paying a proposed tax:

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/17/968723929...t-to-publi

Quote:Facebook said Wednesday that it is preventing people inside Australia from accessing news stories on its platform. In addition, Facebook users elsewhere will not be able to view or share news stories from Australian outlets. The moves are a response to proposed legislation that would force social media platforms to pay Australian news organizations for links shared on its sites.

Facebook's announcement came the same day Google said it had reached a deal with Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which owns The Wall Street Journal, to pay for its journalism.

Facebook, however, chose the nuclear option rather than bargain with news publishers in Australia.

"Today we made an incredibly difficult decision to restrict the availability of news on Facebook in Australia," said Campbell Brown, Facebook's vice president of global news partnerships, in a blog post. "What the proposed law introduced in Australia fails to recognize is the fundamental nature of the relationship between our platform and publishers."

News publishers, according to Brown, choose to share stories on Facebook, which allows the outlets to find new readers and subscribers, leading to revenue the news organizations would not have found without the social network.

Media organizations in country, like the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, expressed dismay over Facebook's move.

"Despite key issues such as the COVID-19 pandemic having ongoing effects on all Australians, Facebook has today removed important and credible news and information sources from its Australian platform," David Anderson, the broadcaster's managing director, said in a statement. "We will continue our discussions with Facebook today following this development."
A very long, interesting read on Facebook's coddling of controversial, conservative voices, and how Ben Shapiro was shadow-promoted on Facebook, giving him an algorithmic advantage over his ideological foes:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rya...alex-jones

Quote:In December, a former core data scientist wrote a memo titled, “Political Influences on Content Policy.” Seen by BuzzFeed News, the memo stated that Kaplan’s policy team “regularly protects powerful constituencies” and listed several examples, including: removing penalties for misinformation from right-wing pages, blunting attempts to improve content quality in News Feed, and briefly blocking a proposal to stop recommending political groups ahead of the US election.

Since the November vote, at least six Facebook employees have resigned with farewell posts that have called out leadership’s failures to heed its own experts on misinformation and hate speech. Four departing employees explicitly cited the policy organization as an impediment to their work and called for a reorganization so that the public policy team, which oversees lobbying and government relations, and the content policy team, which sets and enforces the platform’s rules, would not both report to Kaplan.