Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ringer's 100 Best TV Episodes of the Century
http://besttv.theringer.com/?_ga=2.81351...1526308102

I admire them for trying to do such an ambitious list that pulls from streaming, cable, broadcast, comedy, drama, reality, documentary, and talk - but man, did they cock this up pretty bad. 

This is the first list in a long time that has me questioning their choices about everything. 

That being said, it is very much on brand for the Ringer, which when it's not being Bill Simmons' man-cave, it's pandering to older Millennials.

I think the biggest omission has to be, with no surprise, San Junipero. Be Right Back is a fine episode - usually my pick for 2 or 3 of the series. But for a list that spends so much time trying to put these episodes within context and argue for what they mean to the culture, San Junipero's impact is, already, more meaningful and wider-reaching, particularly coming when it did, at the end of a year when it seemed like the "Kill Your Gays" trope was making a comeback in media.

Finally, if they ARE arguing impact on culture/society, only one of those episodes landed a guy in prison for a decades-old crime. So it's weird the jinx is as "low" as it is.
home taping is killing music
The OC, Jersey Shore and Survivor are in the Top 20 of that list, not to mention the wrong LOST and Black Mirror episodes.
That speaks volumes for what a shitwreck the whole thing is.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
The clickbait headline is bullshit to say nothing of some of the choices....Lost as #1....fuck that noise.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(07-31-2018, 11:42 AM)ryoken Wrote: The OC, Jersey Shore and Survivor are in the Top 20 of that list, not to mention the wrong LOST and Black Mirror episodes.

God Bless you, Ryoken. I opened the link in another tab, read your comment right after and closed the link tab. I don't have time for that kind of article in my life.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Lost #1???

Not clicking on it now.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

It’s flawed for sure but I think it’s still worth a read. I mean trying to mix in Oprah, Jackass, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Punk’d, Jeopardy, etc...seems like they were trying to do too much.

Most certainly I disagree with most of the rankings and rational, honestly how can you pick Chardee MacDennis as the best Philly episode over “Gas Crisis” or not even rank Letterman’s first show back after 9/11 (instead going with TDS).

They do get a golf clap for taking on something like this though.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(07-31-2018, 01:35 PM)Paul755 Wrote: It’s flawed for sure but I think it’s still worth a read. I mean trying to mix in Oprah, Jackass, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Punk’d, Jeopardy, etc...seems like they were trying to do too much.

You think?  They had an MTV The Challenge Episode on there.  There are literally 100 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that are better than any episode of MTV's The Challenge.  

Some 30 slots were taken by trash.  How is one episode of The Price is Right different from another?  Or Jeopardy for that matter.  

Guess they got their click
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Deliberately limiting it to one episode per series really hamstrings it. I get wanting some variety and to represent a breadth of genres, but Laguna Beach? Really?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-31-2018, 01:53 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Some 30 slots were taken by trash.  How is one episode of The Price is Right different from another?  Or Jeopardy for that matter.  

Yeah, the comment that this Price is Right compares to impossible to beat sports records, pointing out the odds of hitting the dollar 5 times in a row is 1 in 3 million and that we'll never see this again...

...and all this happened on a SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY show!!!

Is there not the teensiest, weensiest possibility that this was possibly... fixed? That the giant wheel on the gameshow is not actually a free spin? I don't think I'm through the Looking Glass when I suggest this...

Just pure nonsense.
(07-31-2018, 12:20 PM)MrTyres Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 11:42 AM)ryoken Wrote: The OC, Jersey Shore and Survivor are in the Top 20 of that list, not to mention the wrong LOST and Black Mirror episodes.

God Bless you, Ryoken. I opened the link in another tab, read your comment right after and closed the link tab. I don't have time for that kind of article in my life.

I too feel spared a bullet here.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
I was going to come in here mainly to talk about how silly it is to get upset about a list of TV episodes on the internet.  But I'm scrolling through and see that they have a sub-listicle of the "Best Series Finales Of The 21st Century", and they don't even put The Shield on it at all and that is just so fucking wrong that I am now white-hot with rage.  The Shield is not even one of my top 10 shows, but there is simply no denying that it smoked the shit out of that final season and episode.  If you want to talk about the best finales ever and don't mention it in your first breath, you should fuck off from talking TV evermore. 

Oh, and while BSG is a much better show overall than Angel, "Not Fade Away" is a much better finale than "Daybreak".

ETA: Jesus, they picked "Daybreak" as the BEST episode of Battlestar? What the fuck, how can you shank such a gimme that badly? The correct answer there isn't hard, it's the first freakin' episode of the show.
Don't get me started on the episode of Mr. Robot they chose. They chose the episode after the brain melting one take episode. I mean it's fine but the sitcom episode, the reveal of who Mr. Robot is, the episode that reveals a big spoiler for season 2, and on and on are better candidates.

Also, if any episode of Lost should be included on here, it should be the pilot episode.
Yeah. But in their defense, they got the right Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Futurama episodes.