Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix's MANIAC (Jonah Hill/Emma Stone/FUKUNAGA)
As someone who considers Fukunaga's season of True Detective one of the best things ever, I am inordinately pumped by this teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZPp5ED1VI
the empire never ended
Superbad reunion!
Is Emma Stone playing a Steel Town girl on a Saturday night? Looking for the fight of her life?
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Full trailer:

Looks absolutely nuts.  Could either be one of the best things we see this year... or it could be a mess.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(08-03-2018, 04:45 AM)Codename Wrote: Is Emma Stone playing a Steel Town girl on a Saturday night? Looking for the fight of her life?

[Image: XS5LK.gif]
It's Cloud Atlas time!
Looks very Post-Black Mirror (that's an epoch I just made up!).
I don't actually want to sound dismissive with that notion, but it kinda does, doesn't it?
Looks awesome to me.
the empire never ended
This could be something special.

As others have said, it also gives me flashbacks to Eternal Sunshine, a movie I have a strange relationship with. I'm a person who rewatches films. Often many times. ESotSM I've watched exactly once when I was 20, and in the center of the tempest of love/lust/pain/need that comes along with certain partners that fit into your brain just so. That movie put my heart in a vice, and made me look at emotional pain in a different light. It remains one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had with a film. While this looks like comedy will serve to soften some of the more emotionally wrenching material, I'm hoping they swing for the fences in the emotional truth department, instead of just relying on Twin Peaks/Kubrick Visual Weirdness = Automatic Depth shortcut.
First batch of reviews in. Variety does a good job of making it sound fantastic. EW does a good job of making it sound very disappointing.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/maniac-2018
the empire never ended
The show is live!

2 1/2 episodes in and I'm loving it. I feel like I'm watching a new Philip K. Dick novel. Which is as high as a compliment can get, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see how the material might be just on the "pretty good" side of okay in lesser hands, but Fukunaga and Emma Stone are really elevating it. Fukunaga brings the incredibly detailed vision, and Stone's providing the emotional core.

I get what Hill's doing and I think it serves its purpose and sort of "works," but I wouldn't say it necessarily adds a lot to the experience so far. But I think that's more the character than anything.
the empire never ended
So, I really, really enjoyed this.

There are SO many great moments. I am not sure how well it all holds together; the final episode is basically a denouement that feels a bit too cute and neat for some of the multi-layered ambition that had been building up through the middle portion of this (though it does have some subversive/ambiguous hints to it), and the episode break between parts 7 and 8 feels totally arbitrary in a really baffling way, but at the same time there are confluences of image and music and narrative import that hit in a way that feels so rare and fresh to me. Fukunaga definitely has a special way of delivering these moments, and though completely different in context and tone and even aesthetic, it took me back to those parts of True Detective that just enthralled me.

Anyways, yeah, I found this pretty funny, engaging, occasionally quite moving, and on a TV scale it was primo candy for the eyeballs. It doesn't end up quite as thought-provoking as I thought it might but I also think some of the concepts/themes here are subtle or layered enough that rewatches might amplify their impact.
the empire never ended
Yeah, I didn't understand the point of making 7/8 seperate episodes. They were pretty short ones too. Felt like it was a nine episode season and Netflix insisted that he split one up to make it 10.

However, I loved this all the way through. It was touching and visually astounding. Great imagination and a really interesting story.
First of all, I liked this way better than True Detective. I just don't like True Detective.  Secondly, I storyboarded a promo concept last year for this. Had to draw Emma, Jonah and Justin.  And was able to get an idea of the show and because of that, was a bit excited to see it.  And was not disappointed after a year of waiting for this.

Sally Fields is amazing and I love her in this. What kills it for me is Jonah Hill. Among all the great stuff happening and some solid acting, he's just....blah. Everything else? The art direction, story and the cinematography (its really well shot), is strong. 

And a frame from the 'boards I had done.

Attached Files Image(s)

frankiesmithart.com
INPRNT Shop (for prints)

"I like arguments" 
Prince

Erg. The first episode did nothing for me. I mean, good world-building/art direction, but characters and storyline were not engaging. I will keep going, based upon my enjoyment of Fukunaga's previous work and the reaction here, but at this point I was happy to jump over to a re-watch of Community last night rather than go to episode two of this.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-27-2018, 09:16 AM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Erg.  The first episode did nothing for me.  I mean, good world-building/art direction, but characters and storyline were not engaging.  I will keep going, based upon my enjoyment of Fukunaga's previous work and the reaction here, but at this point I was happy to jump over to a re-watch of Community last night rather than go to episode two of this.

Keep going, Neil, because the second episode focuses on Stone's character, and she works much better than Jonah's does!

I personally loved the first several episodes but I've seen that some people didn't really enjoy this until the drug trial fantasies start up.

I actually feel like it starts to weaken a little bit towards the end but episode 9 is a banger, to be sure.

Also, smugbug, that is totally awesome of you.
the empire never ended
A couple episodes in and I'm enjoying it, but my biggest takeaway so far is how much Emma is acting Jonah right off the screen.

Also nice to see Danny Hoch getting a sizable role. The guy's facial expressions just instantly crack me up.

Finally, Justin Theroux playing a pathetic scientist into virtual reality sex seems like such a Justin Theroux character.
The poster formerly known as Inkblades.
What a weird show. It starts off kind of boring, becomes great around halfway through and circles back to boring near the end with the final episode being the weakest of all. Fukunaga directs the shit out of it but otherwise doesn't even touch TD.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Not great, but good and I would recommend it. I did appreciate that it gets weirder as it goes along. I did agree with the subtext that life's problems don't have an easy answer.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(11-12-2018, 10:21 AM)Evi Wrote: What a weird show. It starts off kind of boring, becomes great around halfway through and circles back to boring near the end with the final episode being the weakest of all. Fukunaga directs the shit out of it but otherwise doesn't even touch TD.

I wasn't bored in the beginning but I do agree that the final episode kind of kills the thing. I mean I could probably go back and enjoy and marvel at so many individual scenes but in terms of the over-arching story progression and character arcs this series really needed a killer final episode and it just totally fails on that front. Almost wish it had ended on episode 9, even though that would have been pretty incomplete.

Fukunaga is so good and like I said earlier there's a lot of PKD in this thing, which is great, but it definitely doesn't have a PKD ending.
the empire never ended
The problem with the final episode is that it goes exactly where you expect. For a show that purports to be something of a mindfuck it really needed an ending that didn't feel like the conclusion of a Cameron Crowe movie.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!