Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lodge 49
Anyone else watch this after Better Call Saul? It's not perfect right off the bat, but it's essentially Twin Peaks meets Cabin Boy in a haze of Pacific seaside weed. Wyatt Russell is a blast in the lead. I also got a kick out of seeing Brian Doyle-Murray show up.

It's unspooling weekly, but if you have AMC's $4.99/month premium service, the entire season is binge-able.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Dramedies like this without a strong hook can struggle to really, well, hook me. A recent example would be how I wish I could get as excited about GLOW as many others, but the laughs do not come fast or furious enough to really compete as a "pure" comedy and the drama is a bit too low stakes to really get worked up about. At first blush, this show is a bit similar, but Wyatt is perfectly cast and the other two leads made good first impressions, plus Sepinwall's review indicated it picks up steam as the season goes on. I'm in for the season most likely.
^ Yeah, plus Collider and the AV Club's season-reviews both say that the entire show comes together in a very satisfying way in the end, and that it's worth sticking with.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

I'm almost done with the first season and while I really struggled with this, I've come around to Lode 49's charms. I didn't really understand what I was watching with the first episode and the next few episodes had me positively despising Dud but something just clicked and I'm now a fan. Still have no idea how I would describe this show to someone.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs