Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me understand how Argento's INFERNO is not just a bigger budget PLAN 9
So, INFERNO is extremely pleasurable. But it's pleasurable in exactly the same way that PLAN 9 is. There's just something about it, despite the fact that pretty much every aspect is objectively awful. However I know that the two are not equated in the general discourse. I feel like INFERNO is much more highly-regarded, but I can't for the life of me understand why. I'm wondering if anybody could maybe point out some of of it's points that are considered well done.
Was it your first Argento?
Oh, come on now. That whole submerged ballroom scene was some top quality execution and a Keith Emerson score? How can you go wrong with that?
Something like Plan 9 fails because it’s trying to tell a linear story and botches the execution in various ways. Argento is more into evocation of mood and the sense of dreamscape. Sudden appearances and reversals, that kind of thing.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
I haven't seen Inferno and at first took the thread's title way too literally and thought Inferno was about alien grave robbers..
(08-27-2018, 05:44 AM)lightning slim Wrote: Something like Plan 9 fails because it’s trying to tell a linear story and botches the execution in various ways. Argento is more into evocation of mood and the sense of dreamscape. Sudden appearances and reversals, that kind of thing.

This is exactly right. Going into an Argento film expecting a clearly delineated linear plot is the wrong way to approach it. His films are more a progression from one evocative and beautifully scored set-piece to the next.
I never returned to this thread, sorry everyone, thanks for the responses. Gives me some things to think about and I need to watch more Argento and read more critical discussions.