Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE FRONT RUNNER - Pre-Release Thread
Holy cow...this looks pretty great.

I remember when all of this played out in 1988.  This should be pretty wild.

And this is one of the best movie posters that I've seen:
[Image: The_Front_Runner_Poster_1200_1779_81_s.jpg]
Gary Hart is one of those pivotal moments in American politics that everyone under the age of 35 has forgotten about.

Here for it.

If you're interested in this, there have been some great books written about it recently, including the one by Matt Bai this is based on. My personal favorite, though, is Jeff Greenfield's THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED, where Hart runs for, and wins, in 1980 - only to get caught up in a Clinton-like sex scandal.

Like John Edwards, Gary Hart is one of those figures where you look and wonder at once "what could have been?" and "thank god we didn't."
home taping is killing music
looks fun!
I get the sense that this may be Jackman's shot at 'best actor'. He looks to be really going for it here, and I mean that in a good way.
He's already been nominated once.

This is not going to be his year, even if he is nominated. It's too tough a field and there are at least three guys I'd put ahead of him.
Getting solid reviews but I won't be able to watch this movie without thinking about the very on-point moral bristling from Chaw in his take. Seems like The Front Runner is either very confused or very wrong-headed about what it's trying to say...

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2018...unner.html
the empire never ended
(09-03-2018, 08:10 AM)wasp Wrote: Getting solid reviews but I won't be able to watch this movie without thinking about the very on-point moral bristling from Chaw in his take. Seems like The Front Runner is either very confused or very wrong-headed about what it's trying to say...

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2018...r.htmlwith Reitman at the helm.  
With a schmuck like Reitman, gotta expect this.

Nah, Reitman's pretty good. Uneven, but good.

That Walter Chaw review seems...bitter.
The genius who trashed The Insider? He’s a privileged yutz in that rich, pseudo-liberal Canadian fashion.

I hope people like it, but it sure won’t get my $15.

Why am I so thoroughly unsurprised that it comes down to him saying something mean about Michael Mann?
WHO TRASHED THE INSIDER?????

(all I found was reitman saying that he wouldn't make The Insider, but something like Thank You For Smoking, because that's just what he's drawn to. doesn't seem like he was trashing anything)
Saw this last night and I'm honestly shocked to see this at 57% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought it was great. Solid performances all around, especially Jackman, Simmons and Farmiga. They make an interesting choice of not directly showing us Donna Rice until AFTER everything has blown up (you only see her from behind and hear her voice in her first meeting with Hart), in a way mirroring how she was nobody until the affair came to light. And there's some fascinating stuff with the nature of journalism and how this story was one of the final nudges into outright entertainment/ratings-driven content mainstream news took. Since the Washington Post is featured pretty heavily, it's hard not to look at this as the delivery on the promise/warning of that final scene in All the President's Men, where Woodward and Bernstein are typing away at their desks while everyone else is crowded around a TV watching the Watergate hearings; hard news is giving way to theater.

It also paints a portrait of Hart as a frustratingly flawed man who's one character flaw away from greatness, one that the press agreed to look the other way on when it came to JFK, but, as one character says, "That was a different time." Jackman plays Hart with a combination of righteous indignation and oblivious arrogance, his attitude one of "How dare this matter?" when it's his own actions and ambitions that make it matter. Yes, the tabloid-esque nature of how the story came about was undignified and sleazy, but if there had been no story in the first place... It's a case of the absolute right message coming from the absolute wrong messenger.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
The MSNBC special I saw on him pretty well lines up with your assessment of his character, Richard.
(09-03-2018, 11:41 AM)Nooj Wrote: WHO TRASHED THE INSIDER?????

(all I found was reitman saying that he wouldn't make The Insider, but something like Thank You For Smoking, because that's just what he's drawn to.  doesn't seem like he was trashing anything)

"like making 'The Insider' is easy, right?" he says, referring to the 1999 Michael Mann film about a corporate whistle-blower who exposed the tobacco companies. "It's like Big Tobacco is evil. Wow, what a statement," he adds with a smirk."

Boy, you really hate Jason Reitman. As if the God Mann himself hasn't said equally stupid stuff.
The Insider? Pretty great.
the empire never ended
The Insider?

The best.

Thank You For Smoking and Up In The Air and Juno?

Pretty darn good.
Up in the Air is nearly-middle-aged-entitled-white-dude-in-crisis-mode pap. A character type that Clooney has perfected.

Agree with everything else.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Yes, but it's very good "nearly-middle-aged-entitled-white-dude-in-crisis-mode pap!" Even if Clooney is better at that in THE DESCENDANTS.

I'm being favorable to UP because I went in fully expecting to hate it and did not.
(11-27-2018, 01:06 PM)subotai Wrote: "like making 'The Insider' is easy, right?" he says, referring to the 1999 Michael Mann film about a corporate whistle-blower who exposed the tobacco companies. "It's like Big Tobacco is evil. Wow, what a statement," he adds with a smirk."

I'M GONNA PUNCH HIM IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD!!!
You take him high, I’ll take him low.

(11-27-2018, 02:46 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Yes, but it's very good "nearly-middle-aged-entitled-white-dude-in-crisis-mode pap!" Even if Clooney is better at that in THE DESCENDANTS.

I'm being favorable to UP because I went in fully expecting to hate it and did not.

Kendrick and Farmiga are also real goddamn good as well, which helps a lot.
Quote:“The whole of making this movie was filled with adversity,” Mann says. But he adds that whatever the crew might have endured, it was all in the service of making a great film. “Sometimes folks are going to join this unit and they may have a tough time,” he says. “Guess what? They’re on the wrong movie.”

Yes, Michael, please, tell us more about how you pushed your cast and crew to the breaking point on a movie based off MIAMI VICE.

Quote: “Michael dressed down everybody and humiliated everybody,” says a crew member. “He’s an equal-opportunity guy.”

Humiliating the people who work for you! Sounds like a great boss.

Quote:“If you go at him and you know you’re right, he’ll accept it,” he says. “If he detects the slightest weakness and lack of clarity, you’re dead. … You just have to submit to the fact that he’s king of everything. Everyone was pushed to the edge of whatever their emotional makeup is. … It unhinged my boss.”

More alpha male director auteur bullshit that we could do with a lot less of. The same kind of shit that allowed folks to write off Harvey Weinstein - and Mel Gibson, for that matter.

But yeah, Jason Reitman, he's just the fucking worst.
You had all day to dig up dirt on Michael Mann and the best you got is he expects his crew to work hard? C'mon now, you can do better.
I found that in about five minutes. I'm sure if I cared that much, I could find more.

Also, big difference between "expecting your crew to work hard" and "detecting weakness" and "humiliating everybody." You know who expects his crew to work hard without that? Steven Spielberg.
You think Spielberg has always been Mr. Nice Guy on his sets?
I think there's a big difference between making sure your expectations are met, which might not always mean being Mr. Nice Guy, and the kind of alpha male macho nonsense that seems to permeate Mann's sets. Again, how is "humiliating everybody" that works for you an effective technique as a boss of anything? How does pushing people to "the edge of their emotional makeup" get you a better movie? It's absolute nonsense, and it gets people killed.

You don't hear these stories coming out of Eastwood's sets.
I gotta say, not that long ago a totally tasteless accusation was made against you that was way out of line. You were rightly upset about it as were others.

But now you're trying to associate Michael Mann with the death of Sarah Jones. That's just as tasteless. You can make the argument that you don't care for Mann's behavior on set without suggesting he contributed to a tragedy on a set he had nothing to do with.
What thread am I in?
Fair. I'll go back and edit that part out. I was trying to make a point - poorly - that the kind of "give everything, do anything for the movie" ethos that seems to permeate a lot of this particular style of film making on big-budget movies leads to the kind of risks and pressure that leads to on-set tragedies on other movies. I could have named any number of directors in Mann's place, but he's the one that Jason Reitman said mean things about, so that's who we were talking about.
Whoa, this thread got good.
(11-27-2018, 05:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: What thread am I in?

I'm sorry. I haven't seen THE FRONT RUNNER. Didn't really get why they released it on Election Day. Made no sense.
I appreciate Molt calling me out on a comment that was out of line, and I've edited the post.

Now, I think we can all agree that:

A) Michael Mann has made some great movies;
B) Jason Reitman has made some okay movies;
C) Directors talk shit about each other;
D) Sometimes, a young director will say things that are "controversial" or take shots at his peers to get attention/make himself feel better;
E) Those comments maybe shouldn't be used to dismiss an entire director out of hand because mean things were said about a fave;
F) LABOR DAY and MEN, WOMEN, AND CHILDREN were, like, first cut of BLACKHAT* bad

And that the FRONT RUNNER looks pretty good! I've been trying to read the Matt Bai book unsuccessfully for a few weeks now.

(11-27-2018, 05:59 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: I'm sorry. I haven't seen THE FRONT RUNNER. Didn't really get why they released it on Election Day. Made no sense.

I think Reitman said he wanted to do it as a stunt to get some attention. But it didn't really work for him, seems like.

*i liked blackhat
(11-27-2018, 05:59 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: What thread am I in?

I'm sorry. I haven't seen THE FRONT RUNNER. Didn't really get why they released it on Election Day. Made no sense.

It was just kinda bizarre.  I stepped into the thread and started reading posts and, after a few of them, realized I had no idea what the thread was anymore.  I just knew that I didn't click on a thread about Michael Mann.
Because Jason Reitman said something dumb about Michael Mann and he's got to pay for that!