Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smilin' Jack Ryan (SERIES SPOILERS)
Alright, I must be blind as I can't seem to find the spoiler tag on the new dashboard so spoilers for the whole series everybody.
You know this show is going to lead with its chest to an extent, and the, ummmm, first, second, third...err, fifth incarnation of the future president is solid but nothing we haven't seen before.  Actually experienced flashes of deja vu in the final episode.  It's not terrible. The best parts for me were those set in Syria; they want you to get an idea of what the experience of a refugee is like, to an extent. I thought that Dina Shihabi is great as the wife of a terrorist, but Abbie Cornish wasted as the future Mrs. Ryan.  Wendell Pierce good as always.

I'm not sure what this says about me as a person but my favourite character on the show was the pimp.  My second-favourite character, who gets ass-whipped by Lee Turgeson, disappears halfway through the series, I think.  My third-favourite character, a French cop played by the amazing Marie-Josée Croze (the speech therapist from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, the junkie from The Barbarian Invasions), doesn't last too long either. 

Just like The Sum of All Fears, Montreal stands in for Baltimore, and when the bad guy gets gunned down with a Washington Nationals flag draped over him after trying to nuke the public hospital where the President, Congress, the Senate, the president's best buddy from 'Nam, and various other important people are conveniently but implausibly located, I thought, someone has a sense of humour.

How's Krasinski?
(09-01-2018, 07:34 PM)Nooj Wrote: How's Krasinski?

Who?

I see I see!
I thought this was pretty okay as well. My previous Jack Ryan experience begins and ends with Hunt for Red October, so I don't have any particular nostalgia for the character. I like that Greer is Muslim in this interpretation (though a lapsed convert who converted for his now estranged/ex-wife), but I was really expecting that to have something to do with why he was reassigned to a desk job at Langley. Instead it was because SPOILER HIGHLIGHT TO READ he murdered a Pakistani official that he was developing as an asset when said official turned on him, which is just like 'uh, yeah, maybe you shouldn't have a job at all, guy.'

I think they maybe should have dropped the weird drone pilot sub-plot that goes nowhere and doesn't really have anything to do with anything.

Ali Suliman gave off some major Alexander Siddig vibes throughout. Krasinski is fine.
(09-01-2018, 08:20 PM)Nooj Wrote: I see I see!

Ah, he’s OK Nooj.  The character of Jack Ryan is not exactly Hamlet or Augustus McRae but even his scenes with Cornish are pretty flat. I think it’s Overlord that has expressed some jealousy of Mr. Krasinski and I have come to terms with the fact that I feel pretty much the same way.  Then again, I think that I’m one of five people alive who like Aloha.

so YOU'RE the one who saw ALOHA!!
He's a sort of talented goofy looking guy who married English bombshell Emily Blunt, made a critically acclaimed creature feature with his wife, and somehow managed to swing from being goofy Jim from the Office to Jack Ryan, sex symbol.

Of course they're jelly! This guy is living my life's blueprint right down to the famous English wife!
three episodes in..decent, not remarkable.
(09-01-2018, 08:55 PM)Nooj Wrote: so YOU'RE the one who saw ALOHA!!

Are you telling me you didn’t?!?

Anyhow, there are a couple of brazen homages to Heat in the finale, I guess maybe because Daniel Sackheim directed it.

Yeah, I'm a few episodes in. It's okay I guess. It's just so generic I don't see why it exists... I like the headline I saw for a review I otherwise didn't read: "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan" isn't Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan. 

I don't know that there's enough to the character that you can just drop him into a scenario you could also see on, say, "24" or "Homeland" and have the show stand apart in any real way. If they simply wanted to mine that IP, I don't know why the hell they wouldn't do a Ryan series as a Cold War period piece (filling some of the hole left by "The Americans"). They could go back to the source and get a season's worth out of "The Cardinal of the Kremlin", which has never been adapted, alone.

It just seems like a missed opportunity to me. I'd even say Krasinski makes for a more ideal Ryan than Affleck or Pine, at least. It's generally well-done, and I got a lot of time for Wendell Pierce in anything. I'm going to stick with it for the season, see how it goes.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I'm only one episode in but am going to keep watching....for now.

Krasinski's fine, but Alec Baldwin was the only actor thus far to ever give Ryan a distinctive personality and presence. (Confession: I never saw Pine's version.) I'm wiling to see if Krasinski (and the series) do anything with him beyond make him a bland white hero with a tragic backstory.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The French SWAT tactics are thr most hilariously bad I've seen in any TV or movie. They literally run directly into AK47 fire. They don't do that, uh...clearing the room first thing over there, I guess.
I cannot believe we have never gotten a Cardinal of the Kremlin adaptation. I think it is the best character work Clancy did. I am not sure why keep this series in the modern time. His stories are definitely of that time period, and would make great period pieces. I plan on giving this a watch after I finish Handmaids Season 2 and Fargo Season 3.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Agreed that CARDINAL OF THE KREMLIN is Clancy's best Jack Ryan novel. That would have made for one hell of a movie.

RED STORM RISING is his best book, though.
(09-02-2018, 03:37 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Agreed that CARDINAL OF THE KREMLIN is Clancy's best Jack Ryan novel.  That would have made for one hell of a movie.

RED STORM RISING is his best book, though.

I still prefer Red October. But both Cardinal and Red Storm are fantastic. Certainly better than everything else. Especially the Ryan as POTUS stuff. 

I did read once that a film version of Cardinal had been planned but abandoned. Would have had Shatner playing the Russian alongside Ford.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Two episodes in....I'm assuming "Mattice/Garth" is Clark, yes?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Through episode 6 so far. It's getting better as it goes, and episode 6 was a really solid, tense entry in general.
Finished this last night. There hasn’t been a “good” season of 24 in a looong time, so I was relatively content to watch this through. Krasinski is a bland Ryan, but the supporting work around him keeps it afloat.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I'll agree that Krasinski's pretty bland, but I suspect that that's just for S1. I can see him getting more and more into being a 'spy' as the show progresses.

Wendell Pierce is the MVP, though. He's been great fun as Greer, at least so far.
The 3rd episode finished me. The terrorists communicate using the in-game chat of a fake video game, what looks like the PS2 port of For Honor. With wireless keyboard support, of course. I just can't with this CBS procedural level writing.
Oh, that won't be the only time communication occurs in a game! Its later, with a different, hand-held game device later on as well!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Should I just rewatch Decker instead?
Listen, no matter what else happens, Wendell Pierce deserves your respect and time.

Wendell Pierce of the Wire, Treme Tony Award winner, rebuilder of Katrina, political advocate, fought a Bernie supporter in a hotel bar at 3am and then fought his girlfriend when she decided to step in., builds affordable housing in West Balitmore, told the Root reporter who interviewed him about Jack Ryan "Do you need water? [Reporter: Why?] the Root, the Root, the Root is on Fire!"... TWICE!

I stand for Bunk Moreland and Wendell Pierce.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Also a blatant Heat homage in the final episode.

Let us pray that terrorists never discover the Nokia N-Gage: the world's most secure cell phone/handheld game system.
It has a pretty solid '24' ending. I don't regret the time invested in watching it.
I liked the later seasons of 24. I thought it rallied well for the final stretch of season 8, and Live Another Day too. I'll give the rest of Jacked Ryan another shot when I'm more in the mood for it.
If you've got an itch for 24, this'll scratch it pretty thoroughly. It follows the 24 playbook in terms of setting up story beats, except it condenses 24 episodes down to 8. As such, there isn't as much 'wheel spinning' to be had and the extraneous shit is kept to a relative minimum.
So just finished this up. Watched the final three episodes today. #6 was the series highlight, for sure. High stakes, didn't overly strain credulity, nice nods to the complexities and nuances of spycraft and intelligence.

Final episode was something of a letdown for me. After almost 7 hours of grittier, more grounded storytelling, the show veered hard and fully into action movie mode. I felt like Sulimen's plan was overly complex and wouldn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny, especially his nabbing an emergency vehicle to blend in. From what we know*, real world terrorists prefer plans with as few moving parts as possible. I both liked and disliked Ryan being the one who took the big baddie out; it was pretty much set up from the get-go, so there's some nice symmetry but I almost wished Jack had done so using his brain and intel tools remotely.

And the closure of the baddie's henchman confirms "Mattice" is Clark from the books. Yay!

Krasinski is the best Ryan since Baldwin. Not even a contest. The character still remains a bit generic but the show's working on that. Love Greer. Hope we get more of him next season.

These are relatively minor gripes, though. I'm glad it was only 8 episodes; that seemed just about perfect for the story they were telling. I'm in for S2, if we get one.

Well, there was one obvious exception in real life. There's no way it should have worked to the extent it did given the number of points of potential failure in a plan of so many moving parts ... and yet here we are in the world that resulted from what happened that day and the terrible decisions made since.
The thing that bugs me about the Suleiman's plan is that it hinges on basically the entire chain of presidential succession being taken to the same hospital. Which for some reason they do even though that would never actually happen in the real world. Doesn't matter if there's only one doctor in the world who can treat the disease they've been exposed to, they don't keep them all in one place.
(09-08-2018, 08:54 PM)shan Wrote: Well, there was one obvious exception in real life. There's no way it should have worked to the extent it did given the number of points of potential failure in a plan of so many moving parts ... and yet here we are in the world that resulted from what happened that day and the terrible decisions made since.

I don't agree. 9/11 was actually a very simple plan. The acts of terror themselves didn't depend on multiple steps involving complex deceptions, interactions, or weapons, as depicted in the show or other shows and films. One of the reasons it took so many people by surprise was because the only "weapons" involved were box cutters. They turned what up to that point Americans thought only as big pieces of transportation into weapons. Their plan: get on the plane; take it over using threat of murder; crash the planes. Period. Yes, some the prep was a bit more complex (getting into the country, taking flying lessons) but the actions required on the actual day were pretty straightforward and simple. Monstrous, evil, and horrific - but not complex.

(09-08-2018, 10:23 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: The thing that bugs me about the Suleiman's plan is that it hinges on basically the entire chain of presidential succession being taken to the same hospital. Which for some reason they do even though that would never actually happen in the real world. Doesn't matter if there's only one doctor in the world who can treat the disease they've been exposed to, they don't keep them all in one place.

Yeah, when Ryan said they were all in the same hospital I called bullshit.

(09-08-2018, 10:23 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: The thing that bugs me about the Suleiman's plan is that it hinges on basically the entire chain of presidential succession being taken to the same hospital. Which for some reason they do even though that would never actually happen in the real world. Doesn't matter if there's only one doctor in the world who can treat the disease they've been exposed to, they don't keep them all in one place.

Yes, even I've known about the Designated Survivor rules for a long time. So long in fact that I remember reading Tom Clancy's Executive Orders and thinking it was stupid because from before that book was written, they've always kept at least one person in the chain of succession well away from the rest of them just in case. Mind you, I also thought crashing a passenger plane into a government building was wildly implausible and The Siege was equally ludicrous, so ...
I was entertained, I don't look at the Jack Ryan character in the same breath as James Bond so the action stuff was fine. Ryan's an intel guy and I think they do a good job of showing that here.
After they gassed the church in Paris, I was surprised that the French sorta left the story. I would have liked more interaction between Ryan/Greer and the French intelligence.
The ending is straight out of a generic action film or tv show.

Still, I'd watch a S2 of Ryan and Greer in Russia.