Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I made an app!
I don't want to stink up the boards by posting duplicate posts everywhere, but if you have a chance would you all mind downloading and playing my first (and very difficult) app that I've been slugging away at for months?

I wrote about it in the video games thread here and there's more info on the game's own website,

Even though it's a very simple game it's been an incredibly long, frustrating and emotional journey in getting it out - it looks so simple but building this thing has nearly broke me several times - normally I'd just give up and make excuses but it became my white whale and I've plugged away until I got the thing working.

It's available for free on iOS and Android and it's tiny in file size so it doesn't take up space on your phone. There are zero IAP or in game currencies to buy new skins etc, it's just you versus your own high score which you can share on the Google/Apple leaderboards.

It's an incredibly simple repetitive game thats also very difficult.

If you like it or if you find yourself glued to it like some people do, please share it via the share button at the bottom and let your friends know about it.

Thanks all Smile
I'm on it!
I'd look down my nose at you, as I'm one of Those People who still don't own a fondleslab.

But then I'd have to cast an aside glance at my piles upon piles of unfinished planning-stages game projects.

So, um, cheers?
I can only get as high as 6!!!

DONG!!!

edit: I got to 7!!
Yep everyones getting 6s or 7s. I've seen one 16 so far.

Thanks for downloading it Nooj.
9!

Very cool Elvis! Nice one!

What language did you write this in?
(09-05-2018, 01:17 PM)flint Wrote: 9!

Very cool Elvis! Nice one!

What language did you write this in?

9 is getting right up there! the top of the Android leaderboard is currently at 8.

I wrote it/built it in an engine called Construct. I've never done any dev work before and I originally started to learn the Apple language Swift - I bought a few books and started a couple of online courses but after about 4 months I had to admit that I wasn't really enjoying it and what I was writing as instructed by the books/course was utter gibberish to me. So I thought there must be another less code-heavy way of building apps. I came across Buildbox and thought it looked good, then I came across Buildbox's $1000pa+ subscription fee. Then I came across Construct - it's designed for those with almost zero coding experience. What I managed in 30 minutes of dicking around in Construct was better than 3 or 4 months of typing utter nonsense into Xcode. Plus I could export and deploy on both Apple and Android platforms. I'd honestly recommend it if you'r thinking about looking into app dev but have no experience in or desire to learn coding.
I do App Dev. Smile But I'm a boring behind the scenes SDK/Framework guy. Swift, Kotlin, Java, Obj-C, all that fun stuff to make a bunch of charts go in directions that make executives happy. Hardly the most fun game on my side! Much envy. Good job! Oh, and 11.
Right now, whenever the app takes a break to give me an ad, I lose sound when it goes back to the game.

No more dings and dongs!

edit: up to 12!!
(09-05-2018, 01:36 PM)Nooj Wrote: Right now, whenever the app takes a break to give me an ad, I lose sound when it goes back to the game.

No more dings and dongs!

edit: up to 12!!

Yeah thats a bug that's been reported to me - I'll look into it Nooj.

12 is one of the highest yet, Flint's only managed 11.

It's funny some people stick at it and slog out higher scores while others just drop it almost immediately.

(09-05-2018, 01:33 PM)flint Wrote: I do App Dev. Smile But I'm a boring behind the scenes SDK/Framework guy. Swift, Kotlin, Java, Obj-C, all that fun stuff to make a bunch of charts go in directions that make executives happy. Hardly the most fun game on my side! Much envy. Good job! Oh, and 11.

Yeah see I've tried to get my head around coding but I'm just not wired that way - I started out as a graphic/web designer but these days I'm much more interested in the psychology of getting the end user to do A or B.

I have idea after idea for websites and apps and I have the necessary skills to make something look professional, but the heavy back end coding is something which is just alien to me. But it's something I'd love to be proficient in as it would mean I'd be totally self-sufficient and would be able to churn out idea after idea to see if they'd sink or swim - I envy anyone who's good at and enjoys coding, in this day and age the world is your oyster.
(09-05-2018, 01:40 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: I have idea after idea for websites and apps and I have the necessary skills to make something look professional, but the heavy back end coding is something which is just alien to me. But it's something I'd love to be proficient in as it would mean I'd be totally self-sufficient and would be able to churn out idea after idea to see if they'd sink or swim - I envy anyone who's good at and enjoys coding, in this day and age the world is your oyster.

Lol. I have no game ideas worth a damn, and my apps and software look like a functional art-deco brutalist council estate.
AW YEA 22!!
You making this up Nooj? On iOS or Android?
A whole lot of learning to program is developing the mental models necessary to envision how the processor will follow a series of instructions along a set of possible paths that branch out based on the data/input provided to it, and then create the instructions necessary for the paths you want to make up your program (and then to anticipate and deal with any possible unexpected or undesirable outcomes.) That's something you can learn with any functionally-complete development tool, whether or not it involves conventional "code."

And after you have a solid understanding of that, any given full-fledged programming language is mostly a matter of bashing your head against the documentation until it begins to make sense.
(09-05-2018, 01:55 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: A whole lot of learning to program is developing the mental models necessary to envision how the processor will follow a series of instructions along a set of possible paths that branch out based on the data/input provided to it, and then create the instructions necessary for the paths you want to make up your program (and then to anticipate and deal with any possible unexpected or undesirable outcomes.) That's something you can learn with any functionally-complete development tool, whether or not it involves conventional "code."

And after you have a solid understanding of that, any given full-fledged programming language is mostly a matter of bashing your head against the documentation until it begins to make sense.

Yeah I get that. I think you need to be practically minded to code - you need to be able to envisage this doing that and understand the result of every permutation between - and I am incredibly practically minded when it comes to projects. But the learning of any particular language is just like wading through treacle and any joy you might start out with thinking you can make whatever idea you have int reality soon gets left behind when you're slogging away at your home PC for hours on end.

Sometimes you just need a programme that allows you to click on something that will make this do that for you.
Pimped it on Discord for you, for the refugees. A few are playing away and enjoying.
(09-05-2018, 01:53 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: You making this up Nooj? On iOS or Android?

iOS!

Man, Elvis is stingy with those medals.
(09-05-2018, 02:02 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Yeah I get that. I think you need to be practically minded to code - you need to be able to envisage this doing that and understand the result of every permutation between - and I am incredibly practically minded when it comes to projects. But the learning of any particular language is just like wading through treacle and any joy you might start out with thinking you can make whatever idea you have int reality soon gets left behind when you're slogging away at your home PC for hours on end.

Sometimes you just need a programme that allows you to click on something that will make this do that for you.
Yeah - the joy of it is in winding up your little creation and watching it rattle off down the tracks like a model train (until, y'know, it teeters off the rails at that one goddamn curve that you cannot get sorted out no matter how many times you re-do it.) And you want to keep yourself immersed in that, or you begin to lose motivation, especially when you don't have anything in particular (i.e. professional obligations) compelling you to keep at it. Construct-a-program environments are definitely easier for that instant gratification; "real" languages definitely take more doing to get into, but the flexibility and expressiveness they offer can be its own reward (in an ideal world, anyway.)
(09-05-2018, 02:04 PM)flint Wrote: Pimped it on Discord for you, for the refugees. A few are playing away and enjoying.

Smashing. Thanks Flint - never got my head around Discord - just seems like one long stream of people talking at each other but not talking to each other.

I’m getting old.
Fun little game. Can't play too much at work but just got a 9, which was mostly luck as I got three 'double dongs' in a row.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Cheers Superlaser - Lots of people topping out at 9.

I have to be honest its getting much more positive reviews online and on Facebook than it did with my friends. I think it's because online people can disassociate themselves and don't have direct access to the developer whereas my friends who have direct access to me were able to tell me to make it slower, make the buttons bigger etc. If you don't have access to the developer you just accept it for what it is and get on with it.
Initially, I had no idea what I was supposed to do in the game. I didn't notice the DONGS.

"Am I just supposed to press these and randomly get a BZZZT???"

"OH, I'M ONLY SUPPOSED TO PRESS THE DINGS!!!!"
I think the clue is in the name Nooj.
Good work Elvis, played, 5-rated and reviewed.

I did think it was kind of odd when after playing for a few minutes the "Ding" and "Dong" started to be replaced with "Obey" and "Kill" though.
Well done sir! And I got 11

I’ll show it to the kids later, and hopefully they’ll like it enough to share it around their school.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

(09-05-2018, 04:26 PM)Bucho Wrote: Good work Elvis, played, 5-rated and reviewed.

I did think it was kind of odd when after playing for a few minutes the "Ding" and "Dong" started to be replaced with "Obey" and "Kill" though.

Bucho, thats actually a great concept to start a game with. Im keeping that one.

(09-05-2018, 04:37 PM)jonathan moxon Wrote: Well done sir!  And I got 11

I’ll show it to the kids later, and hopefully they’ll like it enough to share it around their school.

Cheers Jonathan - would be absolutely knockout if it got shared by the younger generation. 11 is 2nd on the leaderboards so I'm guessing that's you.

Nooj's 22 however seems to have mysteriously reduced to a 2 on the Apple leaderboard... Iiiiinteresting.
WHAAAAAT???

and kung fu presley has 168 dings????

edit: whew I'm back to 22!!!
Yeah, I'm Kung Fu Presley - I wanted to delete that score before it went live but it meant resubmitting the app.
I MUST DEFEAT YOU!!
Bring it. 168 is a low score.
I managed to get to 14.

Fun little game.

Take that Nooj!

Attached Files Image(s)

Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
NO!!!!!!
can't get higher than 9. The double dongs keep killing me...then again, I'm fragile.