Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I made an app!
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-05-2018, 01:49 PM)flint Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 01:40 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: I have idea after idea for websites and apps and I have the necessary skills to make something look professional, but the heavy back end coding is something which is just alien to me. But it's something I'd love to be proficient in as it would mean I'd be totally self-sufficient and would be able to churn out idea after idea to see if they'd sink or swim - I envy anyone who's good at and enjoys coding, in this day and age the world is your oyster.

Lol. I have no game ideas worth a damn, and my apps and software look like a functional art-deco brutalist council estate.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Stale, is there any way to play this on Android without creating a Gamer ID or linking to Google Play games? I've downloaded it from the play store but it won't let me proceed if I cancel those two things.
(09-06-2018, 05:35 AM)jhp1608 Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 01:49 PM)flint Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 01:40 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: I have idea after idea for websites and apps and I have the necessary skills to make something look professional, but the heavy back end coding is something which is just alien to me. But it's something I'd love to be proficient in as it would mean I'd be totally self-sufficient and would be able to churn out idea after idea to see if they'd sink or swim - I envy anyone who's good at and enjoys coding, in this day and age the world is your oyster.

Lol. I have no game ideas worth a damn, and my apps and software look like a functional art-deco brutalist council estate.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Stale, is there any way to play this on Android without creating a Gamer ID or linking to Google Play games? I've downloaded it from the play store but it won't let me proceed if I cancel those two things.

Do you know what, I’ve honestly no idea - I think the Google Play leaderboard may be knackering it for some people. My own android device is just a test device and I thought a Google Play account came as standard across the board - I think I might be wrong on that one. 

What’s the issue? Does it automatically try to sign in? Can you give me a breakdown on what exactly is happening and I’ll try to fix it.
Okay - so just downloaded it again. Immediately comes up with "Create a Gamer ID" with only "Learn More" and "Next" as options. If I cancel then, or press next then cancel, it prompts me to choose a Google account for Google Play Games. If I cancel from that it briefly brings up the data protection notice, dings at me, then circles back to Create a Gamer ID.

I don't know if this is something you can/or would want to fix as a developer if the whole point of the game is to incentivise people feeling part of a community competing or scores on an online leaderboard. I can normally cancel out of this when I play other games - I don't play many - with varying degrees of offline functionality, but please don't think about altering your core design if online competition is key to it.

ETA: just cancelled out a few times, and looks like it's given up asking for now. About to play. Exciting!

ETA: Exciting and really forking hard. The clock speeds up really very quickly.
Ok I’ll get on to fixing that this morning. I honestly thought the google play account thing was installed and set up across all android phones. Thanks for the heads up.
See my first edit, if you haven't already. It's avoidable with persistence.

PS I am signed into Google on my phone, but have always rejected the games link. It would appear the two are distinguishable.
Thought I would try again today. Got to 23 this time! Close to superlaser!

(09-06-2018, 12:38 PM)catartik Wrote: Thought I would try again today.  Got to 23 this time!  Close to superlaser!

Yeah you've got your first medal - congratulations!

Its cool that people are coming back to it.
(09-06-2018, 12:38 PM)catartik Wrote: Thought I would try again today.  Got to 23 this time!  Close to superlaser!

dammit.
NO!!!!!
Just a quickie folks - I’ve updated the app on Android so hopefully the Google Play notification doesn’t appear for those without it installed. It should only appear now once you press the leaderboard button.

The iOS update takes a couple of days to be approved but will roll out in a day or so.
Argh I’ve been stuck at 27 the past few games. Can’t seem to get past that number!

Now.

And 28. Spoke too soon.

31! Gotta put this down now.

For now.

Just went on a total tear.

56! Woo.

(09-06-2018, 02:52 PM)catartik Wrote: Just went on a total tear.

56! Woo.

The bar has been well and truly set.

Can I ask those who've played it - does it feel different enough when compared to other endless-type games? Do you find yourself going back to it or is it a one and done type thing?
Obviously I’ve played it more than once.

It’s a good time waster. The leaderboard is a good idea for an incentive.

(09-06-2018, 12:38 PM)catartik Wrote: Thought I would try again today. Got to 23 this time! Close to superlaser!
I was about to brag that I actually ended up getting to 34 last night before I put the game down, and then I saw this...
(09-06-2018, 02:52 PM)catartik Wrote: Just went on a total tear.

56! Woo.

...which is damn impressive.

I'm still sitting pretty in second on the IOS leaderboard, though.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
56???

NO!!!!
I can’t seem to get close to that number again!

Attached Files Image(s)

Just a quickie to say I’ve make a couple of small updates to the game - I’ve sorted the continual request to log into the Play Store and I’ve added press/don’t press labels over the Ding/Dong buttons.

Download rates have been slow and steady although this was to be expected as I’ve done zero marketing outside of the website (Bootfit.net) and a little through the Twitter channel (@livefortheding). Downloads for iPhone are far greater than Android which was a surprise, although I did lose a fair few Android users at the start possibly due to the Play Store auto pop-up issue.

The high scores currently on Android is 14, with the top spot on iOS being held by TzuDohNihm’s boy scoring a mighty impressive 108 dings!
WHAT???? NO!!!
I cannot understand how anyone gets past 5. I clearly don't do enough two thumb texting!
Made it to '10' earlier. I doubt I'll pass that.
My son said he was 2nd place on the iOS standings. I think he said the top score was like 156 or something.

When he got his 100+ game his heart was actually racing.
Survival is the name of the game, William. The scruffiest hippie is my messenger...do not expect radiant messengers of light. Expect the flawed, the maimed in body and spirit. It's all a film run backward...the Atom Bomb through the Manhattan Project to the formula...E=MC2.
(09-10-2018, 11:45 AM)TzuDohNihm Wrote: My son said he was 2nd place on the iOS standings. I think he said the top score was like 156 or something.

When he got his 100+ game his heart was actually racing.

That's damn impressive. The #1 score is Stale Elvis himself, I believe. I'm in a distant third at 57 last time I looked.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Superlaser did you best me by one? Argh.

And TzuDohNihm your son got 108??? Holy shit.

Superlaser I couldn’t let your score stand.

71! Your move!

Well I felt good so I played one more game.

109!

134 for now.

I’m hot for dings!

MONSTERS!!!
I remember the quaint time when we were amazed by nooj's 22.
Survival is the name of the game, William. The scruffiest hippie is my messenger...do not expect radiant messengers of light. Expect the flawed, the maimed in body and spirit. It's all a film run backward...the Atom Bomb through the Manhattan Project to the formula...E=MC2.
no country for me
Oh man, if you have it please consider sharing these scores on your twitter feeds - there’s a share button next to the leaderboard button.
And here I am...feeling chuffed I got 12...
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
[Image: 24dg38i.jpg]