Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REP COMPANY Casting Draft: Sign Up and Discussion
This is the official sign up thread for the Rep Company Draft.

In this draft, you will be assembling a repertory company of 10 actors to star in three separate movies. Those three movies are:

1. AN ADAPTATION OF AN ESTABLISHED PROPERTY - This can be an adaptation of an existing novel, film, play, comic, short story, video game, board game, etc. The only caveats:
- The property can not be one that has already had its own draft. See below for a list of previous casting drafts.
- Once a property has been selected, it is off the table.

2. A SHAKESPEARE ADAPTATION - There are no additional requirements to this one. You can be as faithful or loose with your chosen play as you wish. You want to do Troilus and Cressida set during the Russian Revolution, or King John as a rock opera on one of the moons of Saturn? Have at it! There is no limit on the number of people who can select any given play. Here are some links to lists of William Shakespeare's complete works: https://www.rsc.org.uk/shakespeares-play...-historieshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespear...ical_plays

3. AN ORIGINAL STORY, BASED ON A RANDOMLY ASSIGNED TITLE AND GENRE - Both a genre and a randomly generated title will be assigned to each participant at the end of Day Two (Oct. 2) of the draft.

The draft will take place over five days, with each drafter making two picks a day. As with previous casting drafts, you may only cast living actors, as they are today. Once an actor has been drafted, they are off the table.

The draft will begin MONDAY, OCTOBER 8.

So, please, sign up and spread the word! All are welcome.

Subjects of previous casting drafts:

ALIEN
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
FLASH GORDON
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
GHOSTBUSTERS
BOND (franchise)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
BOOGIE NIGHTS
A FISH CALLED WANDA
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
BEETLEJUICE
BATMAN (franchise)
STAR WARS
UNIVERSAL MONSTERS (franchise)
DIE HARD
CASABLANCA
GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS

Superlaser
JMurdoch
Atomtastic
Dent6084
Judas Booth
Pither
Boone Daniels
Arjen Rudd
Hammerhead
Hot Sandwich
MrTyres
To draft or not to draft...

Count me in.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
I’m not a definite, but I’m considering. Might be tough starting on my birthday!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I mean, I always do these, so of course I'll participate. Not wild about the third part, but the first two sound fun.
This sounds like a lot of fun. In!
I have to pass, unfortunately. I'm on vacation that week. Have fun!
Hello
(09-08-2018, 02:30 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: I’m not a definite, but I’m considering. Might be tough starting on my birthday!

(09-08-2018, 03:05 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I have to pass, unfortunately. I'm on vacation that week. Have fun!

What if we moved the start date back a week? I've heard from a few people now that the 24th wouldn't be the best for them, and I'd like for as many as possible to be able to participate.

Would everyone be okay holding off until October 1st?
That’s fine by me
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
October 1st works for me.
Yeah, October 1st would work much better for me than the 24th.
Count me in if it's pushed to October 1st.
The draft is now scheduled to begin October 1. Take some extra time to plan, scheme, and brush up your Shakespeare!

I am in.

Can people double up on the adaptations? Or are we drafting those, too?
home taping is killing music
I confess I have no idea how this will work. But it seems too ambitious to sit out. I am in.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(09-09-2018, 05:46 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I am in.

Can people double up on the adaptations? Or are we drafting those, too?

People can double (or triple, etc.) up on adaptations. If we end up with 12 different versions of the Monopoly movie, so be it.
So is it just drafting the performers, than we can slot them into whatever we want? We're not drafting the actual properties too?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I’ll still beat the drum for no overlap on the properties or Shakespeare. I think randomizing the properties would up the difficulty and provide more interesting drafts.
(09-09-2018, 10:48 AM)atomtastic Wrote: I’ll still beat the drum for no overlap on the properties or Shakespeare. I think randomizing the properties would up the difficulty and provide more interesting drafts.

Well I think part of the problem is what happens with casting drafts in general -- if we're re-casting Twelve Angry Men and I decide to make it a musical and you decide to gender flip the cast, we're likely looking at mostly different pools of actors to choose from.  So we're essentially drafting in a vacuum.  Which removes a big part of the fun and challenge of these things:  knowing someone might take the person you're targeting.  I fear if we're all doing three different things, that sense of competition is going to be dramatically lessened.  And with it, a lot of my own enjoyment.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
That’s why I think randomizing things works well for this draft. You’re not drafting an ensemble you think would be best for a musical 12 Angry Men, you’re drafting an ensemble that COULD work for a musical 12 Angry Men, but if you get Star Trek: The Next Generation you better make sure you have a Lee J. Cobb that also works as Picard AND Polonius.
(09-09-2018, 10:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: So is it just drafting the performers, than we can slot them into whatever we want?  We're not drafting the actual properties too?

Yes, we're just drafting the actors for their roles. 

(09-09-2018, 10:48 AM)atomtastic Wrote: I’ll still beat the drum for no overlap on the properties or Shakespeare. I think randomizing the properties would up the difficulty and provide more interesting drafts.

It certainly would up the difficulty, but I still believe this will be challenging enough as is. There's also the fact that not all Shakespeare is equal. I don't want to force Henry VIII on anyone. I also think part of the fun of these drafts is seeing people come up with different takes on the same material.
The last time we did something like this, I think it got pretty competitive because there was a lot of freedom with whatever we wanted to do. So there was a lot of competition to get actors who were the most versatile players. You had the debate whether you wanted a beloved character actor who could do a lot (I know Richard cast Phil Hoffman, for example) as both a lead and supporting, or whether you wanted a star to anchor things.

Plus, yeah, as Pither says, not all Shakespeare is equal. I'd argue that there's maybe five or so plays that are the most versatile/able to be adapted.
home taping is killing music
I threw a casting together a few years ago and posted it in a book thread. Would it be inappropriate of me to resubmit that? Fora trilogy of books, mind you.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-09-2018, 04:49 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: I threw a casting together a few years ago and posted it in a book thread.  Would it be inappropriate of me to resubmit that?  Fora trilogy of books, mind you.

You could try for that same cast, if you want. Just keep in mind that you'll be casting those same actors in the two other projects.
Right. The trilogy of books had some of the same cast members throughout.

I think I might have misunderstood part of the question. Is part of the idea that the three parts of the trilogy could count as your three movies? If so, then I would have to say no. You can do the book (or series) adaptation, but the Shakespeare and original story, utilizing the same cast, are also required.
Oh oh oh. Sorry, I get it now. I have to think about it then. Sorry, I was t understanding the three part structure.

No problem. I'm sorry if the original post is unclear.
This draft is going to feature the most use of the draft favorites pool. We all know the 5-7 performers I'm talking about.
(09-09-2018, 02:06 PM)Pither Wrote:
(09-09-2018, 10:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: So is it just drafting the performers, than we can slot them into whatever we want?  We're not drafting the actual properties too?

Yes, we're just drafting the actors for their roles. 

So, here's where I contradict myself. In the interest of making things a bit more competitive, I'm now thinking that once someone has selected an existing property to adapt, that property is off the table. As for Shakespeare, there's still no limit to how many people can choose a given play.

That said, here's a suggested format for the first couple of days, that would involve a sort of gradual roll-out of titles:

Day One - First pick is just the name of your first actor. Second pick is where you announce both your second actor and what Shakespeare you're doing (and, of course, the roles your first two actors are playing)

Day Two - First pick is where you announce the novel/film/whatever you're adapting, along with your third actor and their roles. Second pick is an actor and their roles. Random title/genre combos are announced at the end of the day.

The rest of the picks for the week would then just be the rest of your actors and their roles.
Let's turn on the juice and see what shakes loose. In.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Despite not exactly being up on my Shakespeare I'll give it a shot.
I am very much in.
In! Thanks for the notice!
Someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee.

PSN ID: anakinsdad

All right! We're up to 13!

As far as potential genres to be randomly assigned, here's the list of possibilities Boone posted in the Ideas thread:

-Horror
-Western
-Sci-fi
-Space opera
-Gangster
-Detective/crime
-Psychological thriller
-War
-Romantic comedy
-Comedy
-Screwball comedy
-Drama
-Costume drama
-Mockumentary
-Martial arts
-Medieval fantasy
-Urban fantasy
-Biopic
-Slasher
-Steampunk
Monster movie
Spy/Espionage
Action
Action-Adventure
Black comedy
Courtroom drama
Ghost story
Disaster
Medical drama
Political

We've got a good bit of time to finalize this, so feel free to chime in with suggestions.