Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REP COMPANY Casting Draft: Sign Up and Discussion
The random title part was my only worry coming in, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it. I’d do this type of draft again in a heartbeat.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
My draft annotated:

MUCH ADO:

Not much for this one, but Sarandon is an obvious callback to Bull Durham. John Hawks for a little Eastbound and Down feeling.

PSYCHO II:

Dr. Adam Claiborne is the name of Norman's psychiatrist in Bloch's novel, but I wanted Chiklis for more of a Robert Loggia feel from the film Psycho II, mixed with a little of Malcom McDowell in Rob Zombie's Halloween 2.

Mary Samuels is the name Meg Tilly's character goes by in the film Psycho II.

Duane Champers is named after Jeff Fahey in Psycho III.

Kurt Thomas is named after Kurt Paul, who was Anthony Perkin's stunt double in Psycho II and II, and Henry Thomas, who played a young Norman in Psycho IV: The Beginning.

Pierre Beaulieu is more than a little inspired by Pete Bondurant from James Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy.

HOW TO WIN A PRINCE:

Leutonia is the fictional homeland of SCTV's Shmenge Brothers, who, of course, Prince Trentino Shmenge is named for. Trentino comes from Louis Calhern's character in Duck Soup.

Estrovia is the fictional country Charlie Chaplin hails from in A King in New York.

Preston Hawkes is named after screwball comedy directors Preston Sturges and Howard Hawks.

Katherine Plotka is named after Katherine Hepburn and Mildred Plotka, the birth name of Carole Lombard's character in Howard Hawk's Twentieth Century.

Rudolph Wurlitzer is named after cult screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer.

Baravelli is Chico Marx's character is Horse Feathers.

Tomasso is Harpo Marx's character in A Night at the Opera.

Maleva is the fortune teller in The Wolf-Man.
(10-22-2018, 10:22 AM)atomtastic Wrote: Leutonia is the fictional homeland of SCTV's Shmenge Brothers, who, of course, Prince Trentino Shmenge is named for. Trentino comes from Louis Calhern's character in Duck Soup.

I caught the reference with "Trentino" but, somehow, "Shmenge" slipped right past me.

For PLAN IX, the name Mason Blaskó comes from Tom Mason, who stood in for Bela Lugosi in the original, and from Lugosi himself, whose original surname was Blaskó. Elizabeth was Maila Nurmi (Vampira)'s middle name.
I meant to compliment the use of the Shmenge name earlier. The other references are neat too.

For my draft I just made up the character names on the spot.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
For my detective film, I mostly just thought of broad character tropes from LA-set James Ellroy noirs about corruption. But the detective’s name is Dixon Hill, which was the name of Jean Luc Picard’s favorite fictional detective, so it’s all actually ST:TNG canon. And the famously bald Corey Stoll plays Hill, suggesting the character’s baldness is canonical and perhaps why Picard gravitated towards him. At a young age, poor Jean Luc.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Kurt Russell's playing Disney though, right?
Yeah, of course.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Time to call this one. Congratulations, Atom! You really did nail it. Your company, and each individual movie, is excellently conceived from top to bottom.

Also, congrats to Dent as runner-up, with a list that could also have easily made the top spot. Among other things, you came uncannily close to describing my ideal Superman movie.

I'm genuinely impressed with everyone's work, and would like to thank you all for sticking with this through delays, board issues, and so forth. A special thanks to Boone for maintaining the chosen thread, and for helping put the genre list together. Thanks also to SimBOB on that front.

Despite some bumps along the way, this has been a lot of fun.
Yeah, congrats, Atom! A very well-deserved winner. And thanks, Pither! This was a lot of fun, and would definitely do it again.

And also, in terms of this type of draft needing a lot of planning and prepwork, I switched to doing a Superman draft on the morning of the second pick, after initially coming up with a list for Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold starring Emily Blunt. This was honestly the least-planned draft I've ever done, and I'm really happy with how it turned out, and glad y'all enjoyed it!
[Image: giphy.gif]