Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mandy (2018) Post-Release Discussion
Best horror movie of the year. Best horror villain of the year. Best Nic Cage performance ever? Holy Fuck.
"Oh, poor old Herman. It seems like him and good luck always was strangers. Well, maybe now he'll meet up with his other hand some place."
I had high hopes for this based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews, and I wasn't disappointed. The visuals, performances, and soundtrack were all superb. This is a perfect marriage between material and leading man, I can not imagine anyone other than Cage pulling this off. His bathroom breakdown/freakout scene was both heartbreaking and hilarious, which is no small feat.

The Erick Estrada line really made me laugh, and I appreciated the time spent establishing Red and Mandy's relationship, as it made her ultimate fate all the more tragic. For Pantos, this is a huge step forward from Black Rainbow, which I could only appreciate on a visual level. Having an actual plot works wonders here.
GIMMIE THAT SHIT!! GIMMIE THAT SHIT!!!

You...are a death seeker.
I don’t want to talk about that.

I saw this in a packed theater and this movie killed. The first hour, you’re just invested in this fever dream of a tragedy. And then the second Half kicks in.

One of the most satisfying experiences I’ve had in a film
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
Alright, going on Monday. Predator can wait.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Christ, what a movie.

The whole thing is full of horrifying imagery, but nothing will add more fuel to my nightmares than the Cheddar Goblin.
Yeah that was so gross.

Did anyone stay for the Q&A after the film? I sat through the credits but wasn't able to stay longer than that.
I watched it. It was hosted by Kevin Smith which had me ready to groan but he did a decent job moderating.

Cage wore a gold jacket. I enjoyed it.
Yeah. It’s good to see that there really is no off-button for Nic Cage.

I don’t know if I like Skinny Kevin Smith, though.

I don't know if Cage plays up being an odd duck in interviews or if that's just who he is but it's so charming. I loved him back in his summer blockbuster days but I'm even more over the moon for him now.

Here's a print interview with Cage where he goes in-depth on a lot of stuff about his character, including this bit about how he approached the fight scenes:

https://www.slashfilm.com/nicolas-cage-interview-mandy/

Quote:However, I would say that the fighting style for Red transforms quite a bit prior to him drinking the skull juice, which is a kind of supernatural drug. Red is a much more ferocious, almost catlike fighter. I even looked at a Bruce Lee shot from Enter The Dragon and showed it to the cinematographer as well as to Panos, where the camera goes from a wide shot into an extreme close up of Bruce breaking somebody’s neck, and I said, “That’s a great shot. Let’s try and get that.” I’m happy to say that something approaching that made it into the movie. But then after the skull juice, Panos wanted me to look at Jason [Voorhees] movies.

There was one in particular [Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood]. The number, I don’t remember, but he was contending with supernatural telekinesis in a young lady, and Jason was fighting. So, he wanted a style of fighting more like a monolith or statuesque, which I immediately thought of as the golem. Not the Gollum from Lord of the Rings, but the ancient Jewish golem, that was a statue that a sorcerer would bring to life to wreak havoc. And so, that was a collaborative transformation that Panos and I designed together.

That neck break shot was breathtaking.
I'm wondering if he's doing smaller projects as he can bring more Cage to the movie. I would assume in bigger movies they want him to play a character or a caricature of himself and he may not have too much of a say of the direction of the movie. With these smaller movies, he can bring as much ingredients as he wants and it's accepted with open arms. And he has none of the headache's that comes with directing. It's got to make the process of being in movies much more enjoyable for him.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
He's not really bankable for major studio movies. But in terms of the whole international streaming/VOD market he's just about the biggest name going. He's made a lot of junk in recent years but between JOE, MOM AND DAD, and now to a greater degree MANDY he's doing some of his best work.

Also, Linus Roache. He's been a decent "that guy" in stuff for a while now. I would not have expected him to be as disturbing as he was here. So maniacal.
Bill Duke is so damn good in this. One of the best one scene wonders in a long time.

And sorry Denis, but Pantos is the guy who should be doing Dune.
Maybe the best film i've seen this year.

Beautiful imagery. Reminded me of Twin Peaks: The Return. My audience laughed when Cage snorted that line of coke.
(09-15-2018, 10:05 AM)Felix Wrote: Maybe the best film i've seen this year.

Beautiful imagery. Reminded me of Twin Peaks: The Return. My audience laughed when Cage snorted that line of coke.

My audience burst into applause after that.
"Oh, poor old Herman. It seems like him and good luck always was strangers. Well, maybe now he'll meet up with his other hand some place."
Cage forging that Battle Axe was a sight as well.
Mandy also served as a mini-Batman Begins reunion with Richard Blake and Linus Roache (even though they don't share a scene together). Blake's Doom-Head was the only bright spot in Rob Zombie's otherwise dismal 31. He's fun here in his one scene as The Chemist.
I liked it, a lot, but didn't love it. It felt a bit off that Red cuts his way through the pack of cultists with such ease, each fight a foregone conclusion leading up to an over the top close-up. It definitely had its strengths, and it was definitely a nice cleanser after the Predator. Cage was awesome, Roache was fantastic - just wish the payoff was a bit stronger.

I wish we got a Cage vs Tiger fight.
(09-15-2018, 09:36 PM)subotai Wrote: I liked it, a lot, but didn't love it. It felt a bit off that Red cuts his way through the pack of cultists with such ease, each fight a foregone conclusion leading up to an over the top close-up. It definitely had its strengths, and it was definitely a nice cleanser after the Predator. Cage was awesome, Roache was fantastic - just wish the payoff was a bit stronger.

Pretty much summed it up. Chainsaw fight was fun though, can't deny that.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Probably seeing this in a minute.
(09-15-2018, 10:03 PM)Felix Wrote: I wish we got a Cage vs Tiger fight.

I thought that originally, but I really wouldn't have wanted to see Cage murder a tiger.
Better choice:  The Tiger is released, takes a sniff of Cage's crazy beyond-human anger scent, turns and attacks the Chemist instead.

What's up, Panos?  That's how that's done.
There were several lines I couldn't make out from the Black Skulls Gang.  I had no idea he said  "You are a Death Seeker."  I did hear that one guy standing at the car fire say "She still burns," but I also couldn't make out some of Cage's dialogue during his final dispatching of you know who.  The sound mix was far too unworldly-garbled for me in a bunch of places.
(09-15-2018, 10:05 AM)Felix Wrote: Beautiful imagery. Reminded me of Twin Peaks: The Return. 

Thought occurred to me too, along with a Lynchian vibe in general.

I'd actually planned on seeing this in the theater, but the timing didn't work out. So VOD, which maybe wasn't ideal for this picture.

Felt it was really worthwhile, but didn't love it. That might change on a repeat viewing. It's a definite step up from Black Rainbow, which I thought was great to look at but otherwise insubstantial. I'll admit Mandy tested my patience in the early going, but once Red goes hunting for the Cenobikers* it's pretty much all golden.

In the lead up to this I somehow got the idea that this story would be a rescue rather than revenge, so I was genuinely surprised at what happened to Mandy. Just brutal and sad. That it could follow something like that with a bit like the Cheddar Goblin without the tone getting completely out of whack is pretty nifty. 

Cheddar Goblin, btw, is worth a half letter grade all on its own. Best laugh I've had in a while.

Second the praise for the great Bill Duke. Cage is also excellent, clearly giving his all here... I may give this another watch before my rental expires.

*If nobody else has used that yet somewhere, I want a nickel every time somebody does.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
The Sword & Sorcery aspect of the film intrigued me.

It could almost be a Conan movie. Just imagine Arnold in Cage's role.
What a delightful romp!
My friend had this to say.

"I think mandy sucked so bad because it relies on unrelenting music to stitch disjointed shots and scenes together, flooded with overbearing color to make us feel "so fucked up and wasted" because the scenes by themselves dont hold the tension needed to glue it all together or engage the audience. Basically the film feels like the director has given a giant sleeping pill or numbing agent to heighten the picture, but it does the opposite... it simply numbs the viewer into disengagement and make the dull moments all the duller so that by the time the huge climax happens you neither care about the characters and despise everything that came before to a point of complete boredom and annoyance."

Thoughts?
Your friend has no penis.
I mean... Yeah.
I kinda agree with your friend.
(09-16-2018, 03:11 AM)freeman Wrote: My friend had this to say.

"I think mandy sucked so bad because it relies on unrelenting music to stitch  disjointed shots and scenes together, flooded with overbearing color to make us feel "so fucked up and wasted" because the scenes by themselves dont hold the tension needed to glue it all together or engage the audience. Basically the film feels like the director has given a giant sleeping pill or numbing agent to heighten the picture, but it does the opposite... it simply numbs the viewer into disengagement and make the dull moments all the duller so that by the time the huge climax happens you neither care about the characters and despise everything that came before to a point of complete boredom and annoyance."

Thoughts?

So...your friend doesn’t know how to movie then.

And also agree that he has no penis.

(09-15-2018, 09:36 PM)subotai Wrote: I liked it, a lot, but didn't love it.  It felt a bit off that Red cuts his way through the pack of cultists with such ease, each fight a foregone conclusion leading up to an over the top close-up.  It definitely had its strengths, and it was definitely a nice cleanser after the Predator.  Cage was awesome, Roache was fantastic - just wish the payoff was a bit stronger.

That’s sort of the point.  By the time we see Mandy get burned, all I wanted was a reckoning.

Sure as hell got that.

(09-16-2018, 09:40 AM)ska oreo Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 09:36 PM)subotai Wrote: I liked it, a lot, but didn't love it.  It felt a bit off that Red cuts his way through the pack of cultists with such ease, each fight a foregone conclusion leading up to an over the top close-up.  It definitely had its strengths, and it was definitely a nice cleanser after the Predator.  Cage was awesome, Roache was fantastic - just wish the payoff was a bit stronger.

That’s sort of the point.  By the time we see Mandy get burned, all I wanted was a reckoning.

Sure as hell got that.

Yeah, it just came off a little too easily.  This is the terror gang wreaking havoc on the Western seaboard, the one that even had Bill Duke concerned? Eh. 

Waiting for Dragged Across Concrete for some real gratuitous satisfaction.

Glad he didn't kill the tiger, though.

(09-14-2018, 01:25 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: Christ, what a movie.

The whole thing is full of horrifying imagery, but nothing will add more fuel to my nightmares than the Cheddar Goblin.

I noticed that Bill Duke had some boxes of Cheddar Goblin on a shelf in his trailer.
(09-16-2018, 12:11 PM)subotai Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 09:40 AM)ska oreo Wrote:

Sure as hell got that.

Yeah, it just came off a little too easily.  This is the terror gang wreaking havoc on the Western seaboard, the one that even had Bill Duke concerned? Eh. 

Waiting for Dragged Across Concrete for some real gratuitous satisfaction.

Glad he didn't kill the tiger, though.
Sure.  But right from the start the cult leader is a portrayed as a petulant man child getting high off his own bullshit.  So once the biker gang was taken care of, of course Nic Cage had no problem mercing everyone.

If you take Mandy as a viscous Anti-misogyny screed, then it only makes sense for the leader to meet his end begging for his life (ILL SUCK YO DICK). Because in the end, all these alt-right fuck boys are cowards.

I can't stop thinking about this movie.