Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
THE PREDATOR Post Release Thread
Cause why not?

So Brad, I blinked and missed whatever happened to Sterling K Brown.  I assume he was just dispatched casually or something?
He said something about dancing shoes and then got shot or whatever.
Ahhh. It was a shockingly blink and you miss it beat for an antagonist they spent so much time on. It's like the movie was determined to kill all the fun bad guys we were invested in until all there was left was a big dumb CG thing with nothing special about it beyond height.
It was weird when the Apex Predator kidnapped the kid because he was the next step in human evolution, born with the ability to use technology that the Predators already know how to use.
Is that why they wanted him??
I'm puzzled as to why the regular-sized Predator wanted to give humans a weapon to fight the Apex Predator then spent most of the time killing humans.
Maybe he was like anti genetic enhancement? He's the ultra conservative of his planet?
Now im picturing Jenny McCarthy as a female Predator.
Which is probably someones fetish.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(09-14-2018, 08:37 PM)bradito Wrote: It was weird when the Apex Predator kidnapped the kid because he was the next step in human evolution, born with the ability to use technology that the Predators already know how to use.

Well he did figure out an alien technology in a unknown language fairly quickly. It's probably got applications beyond Predator tech.
Oofa, what a drag. PREDATOR 2 remains the second best Predator film. By a lot.
Damning with faint praise, that.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
[Image: tumblr_n6a1nk1CVC1qfr6udo1_400.gif]
I just got back and my initial reaction? A decent PREDATOR movie, but a very disappointing Shane Black movie.

It’s amusingly profane and unabashedly violent, and it does a good job of keeping the titular alien as an intimidating and formidable presence. The action is mostly entertaining, and there are a handful of legitimately great moments (such as the Predator’s first rampage/escape sequence early on). The ensemble is solid, tearing into Black’s signature turns of phrase with relish, and each member of the cast seems to be having a lot of fun. Henry Jackman’s score (surprisingly!) is actually very solid, showcasing a very strong Alan Silvestri influence without just ripping off note-for-note passages from his PREDATOR scores.

The real problem, as much as it’s hard for a big fan like me to to admit, is Black’s work behind the camera -- his missteps come in the form of tonal miscalculation and an inert narrative drive. There’s too much of a glib, flippant, almost “winking at the audience” flavor here that threatens to undercut the imposing nature of the Predator (which the movie tries hard to sell). Black also feels handcuffed by the requirements of big, established, tentpole filmmaking here in a way that he was not on IRON MAN 3, and the reason for that is the plot.

Black’s plots work best when they’re mysteries of a sort, when he can play with detective tropes as a means to drive the story, but that’s nonexistent in THE PREDATOR, and we can feel the story is basically adrift because of it, pulling us through a series of “and now this is happening” developments that don’t feel organic or particularly well-executed. There is a disjointed quality to it, exacerbated by the editing, which sometimes has an abrupt nature that is perhaps evidence of the movie’s known post-production tinkering and reshoots.

That said, there’s enough monster movie mayhem to satisfy on a base, visceral level, but I don’t think one could be faulted for wanting more from Shane Black’s take on material like this. I sure wanted a lot more.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
This was the most confusing of Black's plots, and that's saying something.
I don't want to hammer it too much for not being as good as the original. It was never gonna touch that. But the original played it so well by setting up these badass special forces guys who can vanquish any enemy, yet does an equally good job showing those macho he-men completely spooked when they realize they're overmatched. In THE PREDATOR there is none of that. I could live with it if all the zingers and wisecracks were funny, but very few are.

If Olivia Munn was looking to get scenes removed she should have had them take an axe to that "eat your pussy" exchange. Pure cringe.
The fact Brad's back in the hizzy makes this whole cacked up enterprise worth it.
Maybe I’m just easy but I liked most of the humor. It was smile worthy and not laugh out loud... but I like smiling!
Alt-molt's right. There's too much telling and not enough showing.

Also, how do you shoot yourself in the head and leave a three-inch scar across your temple?
He was drunk. Whatever.

Nitpick.
Sorry, I forgot that this is a nitpick-free site.

@_@
My point is this is a completely insane movie with many real fundamental problems, so something like that which would normally be more noticeable is lost in the sea of bananas stuff.
Also, if the military won't allow in a guy with bone spurs, I doubt a guy with Tourette's would qualify.
It's weird how much of a non-threat the predator is treated as. The first time The Loonies spy him on the roof they just go "oh hey, it's an alien. That's cool" and it's pretty much that way for the rest of the film. Boyd Holbrook's character who's a fucking SNIPER (ie. a dude who takes you out from half a kilometer away) is shown to be more confident and adept than Dutch, who looked like he could rip trees out of the ground with his bare arms.

I'm also surprised that people seemed to enjoy Key. I love the guy but he's like a comedic assault here. Constantly screaming out funny things without any of them actually being funny.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(09-15-2018, 06:52 AM)Evi Wrote: I'm also surprised that people seemed to enjoy Key. I love the guy but he's like a comedic assault here. Constantly screaming out funny things without any of them actually being funny.

He was horrendous. Just grins like a boob the whole movie. I was more embarrassed for Jane though. He has been in a lot of bad movies in his day but the whole Tourettes deal was so tired.
The best bit in the movie is when the mortally wounded Key and Jane have to put each other down, mostly because they don't say anything.
I liked the absurdity of their timing being just right.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-re...black-fox/

a look into how much fox altered Black's film
Sheesus, now I feel bad for shitting all over him.
I don't care if Shane's original vision was a mess that didn't work, we GOT a compromised mess that didn't work. So fiddling clearly didn't fix it.

This is a scenario where I wish I could see what Shane actually had in mind. To grit your teeth and just play nice for the studio and pretend this Frankenstein abortion is his vision... My sympathies go out for him.

I'm still a bit confused that so many elements that ALREADY exist in these films ended up in this film, presented as if it was a new idea.

-A super Predator that's bigger and better.
-Predator dogs (Who were SO MUCH more effective in Predators, they're lame here)
-A predator running around the suburbs

Throw in the very cliched notion that Predators want to hybridize with human DNA so they can take our planet, which is a dumb addition in an attempt to deepen the lore that nobody wants or needs.
Bottom line is, the studio and creators refuse to go with the sequels where the fans want and the movies/comics and games themselves have set up things for:

A) The past, showing human warriors of different ages facing the Predators.
B) The future, showing Colonial Marines, Aliens and Predators clash.

Thats the bottom line in why this movie's very concept already fails it.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
The fact that we went in Antarctica with ice climbers instead of marines in an Aztec temple in a space jungle... It's like, "how you do fuck that up? Who called that shot?"
I had fun with this. I laughed like a giant idiot when the mask shoots the crackhouse dude and the house blew up.

Unlike that screenrant article Nooj linked, I thought the portrayal of the kid's autism was pretty spot on. He's not quite 'movie' autistic (other than the apparently photographic memory), but he clearly has issues maintaining eye contact with people and he's hyper sensitive to noise, and he's super into logic puzzles and excels at pattern recognition, which is how he's able to figure out the Predator tech so quickly.

It took me a few seconds to realize that Sterling K. Brown blew off his own head with the shoulder cannon. It was edited kind of weird (and you would think the shoulder cannons would have some sort of safety mechanism to prevent that from happening).
Granted, the only PREDATOR film I'll go to bat for is the first one, with all of the others having huge flaws that keep me from saying I genuinely like them, but my ideal sequel is super cheap. No aliens fighting, no 'even more badass!' Predators, no real overarching mythology: Dutch is a recluse in some western town, maybe a sheriff, and a disgraced old Predator shows up for one last chance to gain some honor. And that's pretty much it.
I like how they make a big deal out of Brown's nicotine gum habit in his introduction, only to never bring it up again.

Setup/no payoff. Screenwriting 101!
Everyone talking here like Predator 2 isn't great.

It is!