Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Emmy Awards
Hey, these are tonight.
I'll keep one eye open, for very obvious reasons.

But also holy shit I need to catch up on TV I haven't watched any of this stuff. Still haven't even started Atlanta.
Your woman is on right now, Freeman.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Marvelous Ms. Maisel is cleaning up. Also, how was that Winkler’s first Emmy?!
(09-17-2018, 08:26 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Your woman is on right now, Freeman.

Ty!
Oh no. She's more Rose than Betty now.
My GOD! That Finn Wolfhard kid is... Getting lanky. Like Bran he's doomed to grow up awkward.
The dude who won the Variety Special directing Emmy for directed the Oscars just used his Emmy speech to propose to his girlfriend (who accepted, preventing what would’ve been an even-more-awkward award ceremony moment than that whole Moonlight/La-La Land thing).
Matthew Rhys winning Best Actor is very cool. I guess you could say that the Emmy respects him, but not this is us.

Foy beating Russell is kind of crap, but I see how you'd want to award the achievement of the last two years there.

Very happy Rachel Brosnahan, who I've loved since House of Cards, won. Also Alex Borstein.

I shouldn't be surprised about Hader and Winkler, but I am.

Is Dinklage gonna be the ONLY dude from Game of Thrones who wins an acting award?

Black Mirror winning in the same two categories in back-to-back years makes up for Plemons losing.

Kind of disappointed Patton lost writing, but Kid Gorgeous is so good.
home taping is killing music
Keri Russell didn't win? Booo!

Still, thrilled The Americans won best writing and best lead actor. I'm really routing for it to take home best drama!
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
Best Comedy: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Drama: Game of Thrones
Eh, I like the show, but GoT winning Best Drama is silly.

I wonder how often a Best Drama has failed to win -any- of the other major categories?

"It's not the best acted show... or the best written... or the best directed... but it's the best!"
Gamertag: Tweakee
Was Dinklage even really all that good in Season 7?
Dinklage hasn’t been good on GoT since season 4.

Which isn’t surprising considering who he has had to act opposite of since that season ended.

(09-18-2018, 12:19 AM)catartik Wrote: Dinklage hasn’t been good on GoT since season 4.

Which isn’t surprising considering who he has had to act opposite of since that season ended.

You take Conleth Hill's name right out of your mouth, son.
You fuck!
The Freemen know what I’m getting at!

Is this Marvelous Miss whatever show really that good. I mean should I give it a try?
Dinklage's scene with Clarke where she names him Hand was terrific.

I assume he won the Emmy this year because the Emmys are based on a single episode, and he probably submitted the one where he narrated the battle between Jaime and Dany.

Dinklage hasn't been great lately because the plot has kept him mostly away from the familial drama, and the political aspect of the show has largely disappeared. Those were the best roles for the character, but now he's been reduced mainly to the Jorah role of moon-eyed cheerleader.

Another reason why I believe Littlefinger was axed a season too soon: any chance for him to speak to Varys and/or Tyrion was lost. Such a shame. Shame. Shame.

(09-18-2018, 01:34 AM)history buff Wrote: Is this Marvelous Miss whatever show really that good. I mean should I give it a try?

It's really, really good.

It's completely not my kind of show, and I knew it was a lock for Best Comedy. I'd never heard of Brosnahan before, and now I'd watch anything she's in.

I think the best praise I can give it is that even the stand-up bits are funny... and I don't think I've ever seen a funny stand-up scene in a sitcom before (Seinfeld's always brought a grimace to my face).

So yeah, watch at least one ep. The pilot's a rocket out of the gate, so if you don't like that, the show's not for you. I was won over at the end of the first -scene-.
Gamertag: Tweakee
If the Emmy's has taught me anything this year it's that I should watch some of these shows at some point. Like. Literally. Any of them. Black Mirror, The Handmaids Tale. I was only familiar with Thrones.
Psyched for all the Barry love plus Matthew Rhys and The Americans getting a writing statue. And Thandie Newton!

But regarding The Americans not getting more, and the idea that Ryan Murphy is "best" over David Lynch:

"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Re: Peaks. Well, you can't spend nearly two years talking about how your show "is an 18 hour movie" and gleefully accept awards from film critics for your "film," and then turn around and go "no guies it's TV we swear."

My thing about Mrs. Maisel is that it's one of the most overtly Jewish shows on television, fully embracing the nuances and complexities of 1950s life among that community in New York (all of whom are dealing in their own way with the horrors of the Holocaust, though that's merely background). Through that lens, it's really able to get into a lot of thorny questions about identity and place and gender and comedy and so much - and it's why I get annoyed when critics say that the show is "so white," which it is by 2018 standards (despite the presence of Lebanese American Tony Shaloub), but not within the narrative of the show.
I'm getting really sick and tired of these award shows....an award for 'best reality program'....really? Fuck you.

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
We're still debating reality programming in 2018? Really? Right here in front of my salad?
(09-18-2018, 01:51 AM)freeman Wrote: If the Emmy's has taught me anything this year it's that I should watch some of these shows at some point.  Like.  Literally.  Any of them.  Black Mirror, The Handmaids Tale.  I was only familiar with Thrones.

That's the problem now I find.  There is almost TOO much stuff to watch.  I can't keep up with any of it.  

Maybe in my teens and 20s, but I have way too many responsibilities now.  I haven't even watched a single episode of the new season of Better Call Saul.

And speaking of content, the ratings for the Emmy's are down again and it seems the steady decline since 2013 has been blamed on the popularity of streaming services.   Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh  I don't think so.

To be honest, I didn't even know the Emmy's were last night until I saw this thread bumped.