Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NETFLIX'S AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER (IN LIVE ACTION!)
I seriously thought this was a joke when I saw the announcement.

It's not a joke.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/18/178743...es-netflix

Konietzko and DiMartino running it. Promising a non-whitewashed, culturally appropriate cast.
I have so many questions about this

both so unnecessary... because the original series is great and doesn't need to be in live action in order to be legit

and also necessary... because of the shyamalan movie and its bungling of everything
What the shit?
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
This news honestly blind sided me.

But yeah, what Nooj said. The animated show is pretty perfect as is...but a high budget fantasy show with an all Asian cast (and they better keep that promise of being culturally accurate so it represents a plethora of Asian peoples) would be really fucking cool.

Also, I demand an entire episode dedicated to Seizure Guy.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(09-18-2018, 01:04 PM)Nooj Wrote: I have so many questions about this

both so unnecessary... because the original series is great and doesn't need to be in live action in order to be legit

and also necessary... because of the shyamalan movie and its bungling of everything

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  I just want more good stories in this world.  Remakes, prequels, sequels, I don't really care so long as it's good.  If this version delivers, I'll be happier than a badger-mole in a mudpile.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
This hits a square "Disney live-action remake" on my pointless meter. Especially since convincing special effects and talented child actors are much harder to do in live-action than in animation (especially on a TV budget). And all to tell a story we’ve already seen done pretty much perfectly. If it were at least the story of another Avatar, or some episode in Aang or Korra’s lives that we hadn’t seen yet, fine, that would be something, but this just seems a bit desperate. I would much rather have another season of TLA or LOK as a cartoon.
(09-18-2018, 10:36 PM)thecooleravian Wrote: This hits a square "Disney live-action remake" on my pointless meter.
*high five*

Supposedly one of the people at the monthly anime night some acquaintances have started doing is going to get us binging on TLA, which I've never seen. That may or may not get me interested in TLA - but it's not likely to get me interested in "the exact same thing, again, but not a cartoon this time!"
(09-18-2018, 02:06 PM)Codename Wrote: This news honestly blind sided me.

But yeah, what Nooj said. The animated show is pretty perfect as is...but a high budget fantasy show with an all Asian cast (and they better keep that promise of being culturally accurate so it represents a plethora of Asian peoples) would be really fucking cool.

Also, I demand an entire episode dedicated to Seizure Guy.

The smart thing to do is to lean in on the "reimagining" aspect of the show: If this is going to happen, why does it have to be about Aang? Why not just take the core aspects of the franchise and make its own continuity out of it?  Take advantage of the television/live-action medium and go from there.

The problem with all these live-action anime that comes out these days is that they're more concerned with lifting scenes from their source material than actually figuring out how to make these stories work within the confines of live-action.  So you have shit like Mob Psycho 100 or Full Metal Alchemist that look like straight garbage--because the entire appeal of those shows is that they're animated.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

my cynical theory is that this is Konietzko and DiMartino's play towards making big budget live-action fantasy blockbusters, and being able to get a netflick-algorithm'ed live-action production experience is a potential path towards getting there

and depending on how much changes they make to their original series in adapting it to live-action, revisiting something that's already complete absolves them of the mental real estate dedicated to coming up with a new world/story/characters as they stick their foot into producing a live-action series for the first time (as far as I'm aware)

all of that fueled by their obvious disdain towards what Paramount/Shyamalan did with THE LAST AIRBENDER movie
I'm thinking Idris Elba as Uncle Iroh, Anthony Ingruber as Sokka, Alexandra Daddario as Kitara, and Finn Wolfhard as Aang.

For Zuko, Michael B. Jordan. Have Hamill reprise his role as Firelord Ozai.
that's gonna be great

it's going to be great
(09-22-2018, 08:47 PM)Overlord Wrote: I'm thinking Idris Elba as Uncle Iroh, Anthony Ingruber as Sokka, Alexandra Daddario as Kitara, and Finn Wolfhard as Aang.

For Zuko, Michael B. Jordan.  Have Hamill reprise his role as Firelord Ozai.

Can we find a spot for Nathan Fillion?
(09-23-2018, 12:43 AM)Bucho Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 08:47 PM)Overlord Wrote: I'm thinking Idris Elba as Uncle Iroh, Anthony Ingruber as Sokka, Alexandra Daddario as Kitara, and Finn Wolfhard as Aang.

For Zuko, Michael B. Jordan.  Have Hamill reprise his role as Firelord Ozai.

Can we find a spot for Nathan Fillion?

Cabbage vendor.

For Zuko, Michael B. Jordan. Have Hamill reprise his role as Firelord Ozai.

Did you really copy/paste your own joke?

Shame.