Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"South Park" - Season 22
"South Park" returned tonight with "Dead Kids," which I hope to get to soon.

The hype has surrounded a "cancel South Park" hashtag, and I'm not entirely sure what they're getting at with that yet.
Hilarious episode. I'll never understand the criticism that's always lobbed against them claiming they don't care about anything.

Favourite bits were Randy's song and Cartman's insistence that Token was pissed at him because he didn't like Black Panther. A World War Zimmerman rehash, but it made me laugh.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
This felt like classic South Park. Best premiere in at least the last 3 seasons!
(09-27-2018, 11:52 AM)Evi Wrote: Hilarious episode. I'll never understand the criticism that's always lobbed against them claiming they don't care about anything.

I think over the last couple years, especially with the rise of Trump, they've had to seriously reexamine the merits of "everyone sucks, both sides are full of shit" as a political ethos.  

The school shooting stuff showcased that, and it was viciously on point.  That's an "argument" where bothsides-ing is patently monstrous, and it was more upsetting for how they presented it as the monstrous side already having won so thoroughly that it doesn't even need to willfully misinterpret the rational one.  It just assumes the other side must have an ulterior motive, because who could actually give a fuck about dead kids?
(09-27-2018, 12:30 PM)schwartz Wrote: I think over the last couple years, especially with the rise of Trump, they've had to seriously reexamine the merits of "everyone sucks, both sides are full of shit" as a political ethos.  

But I don't think that was ever their ethos. If there's an overriding takeaway it's that they hate dogma and that both sides generally contain people who are full of shit, which isn't the same as both sides of the argument being equivalent. In terms of the actual issues they'll almost always come down on one side or another and often (as with The Cissy or Jesse Jackson) question their one inherent privilege. And I don't  think they're always RIGHT, but it does feel a bit like people have cherrypicked a few episodes that have aged badly (most notably Douche and Turd, which is a big one they seem to regret themselves) and have decided that *this* is what they represent.
I think singling out The Cissy or Jesse Jackson is cherry picking just as much. The "everyone sucks" brand predated Douche and Turd, to my recollection. I suspect, not that I have time to go back and survey 20 seasons, that you'd find more episodes supporting the one than the other.

But that's fine. I'm okay with the show's views realigning over time, and I don't think that the Douche/Turd viewpoint is without merit. There are absolutely elements of hypocrisy, stupidity and self-congratulation that permeate all ends of the political spectrum. But over the years, one side of the spectrum has weaponized the assumption, particularly among those that came of age alongside SP, that both sides are equally shitty. And so they've been getting away with worse and worse shit, in large part because there is a knee-jerk assumption that the other side must be just as bad but in the other direction.
That...sucked. Not even Randy could save it.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
So taken with last week's ep, it seems they've got a running theme going about how absolutely inured people are to the awful things going on around them.

Anyway, enjoyed this one a lot. The cumby sound effect killed me.
"Bleach the entire top of the table. That's probably where he mounted them."
The Catholic League For Religious And Civil Rights issued a statement denouncing Wednesday's episode. THIS is the statement:

Quote:
Quote:The October 3rd episode of South Park, titled “A Boy and a Priest,” portrayed molesting priests as pedophiles. This is factually inaccurate: Almost all the molesters—eight in 10—have been homosexuals. Therefore, the cartoon-victim characters should have been depicted as adolescents, not kids.
In Hollywood, the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, are seen as courageous. They are really cowards. It takes courage to tell the truth.

That's the whole thing. They take no issue with the actual molestation or the coverups but rather with the age of the children. Amazing.
"It's an eight year old's birthday party. OF COURSE it's cum."

This was their best, darkest episode in a while. So are they doing the darkest shit imaginable to promote that #cancelsouthpark hashtag?
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
What that asshole was doing was far worse. He was pointing out the age to blame the rape of children on homosexuality.

He was also inadvertently making the Cumboni scene even better.
Gamertag: Tweakee
2018 Dude.

Much better than last week. The PC babies were great.

Not sure about the dig at the Simpsons though. I mean, I get it with the Apu stuff. But meh.
Lots of individually funny moments but this felt like one of those episodes where they decided to tackle too many things at once and it didn't coalesce. The babies crying about the Speedy Gonzalez shirt killed me though.
Just the reveal of the babies in Ray-Bans got me.

And I laughed at loud at the Simpsons burn at the end. C'mon, it's SOUTH PARK calling out THE SIMPSONS for being too un-pc!
(09-27-2018, 12:30 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 11:52 AM)Evi Wrote: Hilarious episode. I'll never understand the criticism that's always lobbed against them claiming they don't care about anything.

I think over the last couple years, especially with the rise of Trump, they've had to seriously reexamine the merits of "everyone sucks, both sides are full of shit" as a political ethos.  

The school shooting stuff showcased that, and it was viciously on point.  That's an "argument" where bothsides-ing is patently monstrous, and it was more upsetting for how they presented it as the monstrous side already having won so thoroughly that it doesn't even need to willfully misinterpret the rational one.  It just assumes the other side must have an ulterior motive, because who could actually give a fuck about dead kids?

Some guy on Twitter said that South Park is what has "turned this country into what it is today". Lol.
The hemp hat that plays "Two Princes" when worn should not have made me laugh as many times as it did.
(10-18-2018, 02:15 AM)schwartz Wrote: The hemp hat that plays "Two Princes" when worn should not have made me laugh as many times as it did.

Put that together with the UCB parody commercial for the album of "Now That's What I Call Songs sung to the tune of Two Princes" and I'll never stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaJ_2uEs10I
I'd be okay with this being the final season.
Great episode this week, they always knock it out of the park with the Halloween eps. Nice to see Kenny being relevant again.
So does Mackey know Kenny is immortal? Or did he just not care about crushing him under the tower?

And those poor dumb kids don't realize that eating the candy isn't going to make the load lighter... unless you barf it up after.

You just know that a week ago either Matt or Trey found a scooter-shaped dent in their car.

I counted three bits of continuity: Stan's hemp shirt, the billboard for Hankey's Xmas canceled (and misspelled), and of course Randy on the farm. Surprisingly, there wasn't a school shooting this week!

Fun stuff.
Only 2 episodes in...but Weed Farmer Randy is becoming one of my favorite versions of Randy.

Ok episode last night. Was nice to see Kenny in the spotlight.
Here’s hoping the payoff next week is worth it because last nights episode was not great. The Devil at the library was great though.
Not hilarious, but I did think it was pretty smart of them to take aim at one of the most unfortunate episodes in the show's run. Interested to see what the payoff will be.
The mansplaining with MBP rampaging in the background was the best part. They're so good at nailing some little physical detail within the crude animation, and holding the glass of wine was the thing that elevated that bit.
Also, "Damnit! Away from school is the one place kids are supposed to be safe!"

"This is stupid! You don't know what you're doing!" (Satan appears) "Goddamnit. I'm sorry. You were right."

I thought the episode was pretty terrific. Petty Al Skywalker just tickled me.
God, grampa's speech absolutely killed me. Satan dying and negotiating a contract with MBP was definitely not the way I expected this storyline to end, but I found it pretty satisfying.
The latest episode got some good laughs out of me. Loved the epic superhero battle.

I imagine some people who haven't been playing RDR2 are going to be like "what the fuck are they talking about?".
Cartman has certainly been sidelined this season. It kinda feels he only pops up now because Trey Parker gets a kick out of saying "school" in his voice (or should I say "skeewwwwwww")
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
You got your Cartman episode!

Not so many years ago, PC PRincipal would've been a villain on this show. Now he's perhaps the most reliably heroic character. I got a nice smile out of the happy ending his family got due to society boxing out the world.

This ep was one or two big laughs away from being a classic - I think they need to get the babies up to Ike levels to make stuff like the Muppet Babies riff really land. But I dug the story, the Buddha Box, and the guy getting walloped by the car.

Namaste.
This one got some chuckles out of me.

Anxiety is real though, you guys. Sad
Meh. Didn’t care too much for this one.
The Bezos reveal was brilliant, only outdone by Sweet Love playing in the abandoned mall.
The whole mall scene killed me.
Fantastic episode. Loved the Irish immigrant worker.