Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"South Park" - Season 22
Good for you?
Gamertag: Tweakee
I got a few laughs out of this one. It's not a top tier season, but it's at least 2 or 3 above bottom rank so far.

No way it's been 22 years since Zombie Turkeys. I'm not old, South Park is old!
(11-02-2019, 07:59 PM)schwartz Wrote: South Park is mean-spirited, and also clever satire.

(He said, to the guy who thinks harshing people’s buzz about comic book movies on the internet is the height of comedy)

As witnessed with the whole Hong Kong thing, being mean spirited is part of what makes the satire land so well.

This episode was fine. All over the place but I got a few laughs.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Nice bounce back this week.

The whites are great.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The Whites looking to ‘adopt’ had me simultaneously laughing, crying, and having a rage stroke.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Yeah, the adoption was pretty damn sick and twisted.

The jabs at our fearless leaders were toothless as usual, but I did smile at Rudy pulling a joint out of his ass.
I liked that they just dropped all pretense and introduced Guiliani as "treasonous pig Rudy Guiliani".
Their ability to pivot into current events always impresses me.

I mean, I doubt they planned Tegridy Farms to end as an Impeachment episode, but I'll be damned if it didn't work.

And I'd say the jabs at Trump were pretty effective... They went after his BS defenses, Randy flat out says he's enabling violence in his followers, "Mexican Joker" shows how he's creating -justified- hatred in people that should've been our friends and neighbors, and "The Whites" as his supporters were especially uncomfortably sharp from beginning to end.

Maybe I'm forgetting a storyline, but it seems to me that every major Tegridy Farms plot ended up being part of a vision of Trump's America.
Yeah it's always been the satire of things secondary to Trump that's been sharpest. The jokes about Trump himself are toothless mostly because he's bulletproof when it comes to satire. There's nothing you can say about him that isn't 100% obvious to anyone with half a brain.
Macho Man Randy Savage was kinda funny for a minute. But, meh.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The episode was only occasionally funny, but almost justified itself via the terrible takes it generated on the Internet. They were the true comedic gems.
South Park's always had problems with trans issues. I found bits of the episode funny though I also can't deny that there were moment when I gave it the side-eye. I totally see what the point was but if you want to talk about nuance maybe don't make an episode that's so easy to misread as "Trans women don't belong in sport"
Except there wasn't a trans woman in the episode, just a grown-up version of Cartman taking advantage of virtue signalers who don't allow for nuance.

Which is what made some of the reviews so funny; that those same kinds of virtue signalers would completely whiff on the episode because they were so busy trying to decipher the most woke response possible.

The AVClub one is a gem. The reviewer was so eager to show off that they mislabeled a real female athlete as trans and mislabeled Parker and Stone as Canadian (and thought that was a good reason to dismiss them).

There's a reason that the heroes of the episode are the girls and the PC babies: they're the characters that are just naturally trying to do the right thing, instead of trying to find a way to be the most correct people on Earth.
I agree with you, but if any episode needed their thinking to be made absolutely crystal clear it was this one. I know they're not actually against Trans athletes - Strong Woman was clearly excited about having a Trans female take part in the competition - but then there were lines like PC Principal's "you went through puberty as a man, so you're much stronger!" and the "hilarious" sight of a Trans woman as a giant dude with a beard which could definitely be read as the type of arguments and jokes people would make against actual Trans athletes. In general I think their choice of subject was miscalculated and could be easily seen as punching down even if I don't necessarily believe it was.

The Avclub labelling Caster Semenya as Trans though was ridiculous.
Glorious return to form last week. I love when the guys go back to their roots of trying to gross people out.
Goth kid coming a courtin' (bolo tie, suddenly repping Scottsdale) had me rolling.
The phone number at the end is a real thing, by the way.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
So EA will send me a copy of Jedi: Fallen Order if I mail them a piece of high-grade probiotic shit?
I was tempted to try it. They clearly don't want to be doing this show anymore.