Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mr. Inbetween
Anybody been watching this? Damn good.
I'm liking it a lot. Cant figure out why, as other than the accents it's nothing particularly unique about it. But the lead performance is great and each episode has some amusing little bits scattered throughout.
The whole attempt to get rid of the brother-in-law’s body was a riot. 

Guess it ends next week. Hopefully it gets a longer second season. Also just learned the show is an extension of a movie with the same lead character called THE MAGICIAN. Definitely gonna track that down.
(10-03-2018, 11:21 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: The whole attempt to get rid of the brother-in-law’s body was a riot. 

Guess it ends next week. Hopefully it gets a longer second season. Also just learned the show is an extension of a movie with the same lead character called THE MAGICIAN. Definitely gonna track that down.

That makes a lot of sense, actually.  The character seems so fully-formed right from the gate that they don't feel the need to craft some elaborate scene where he or Dewey Crowe lays out his backstory, or explain how he knows this guy or that one.  Which is something I appreciate.
groovy....

'Mr Inbetween' Renewed for Season 2 at FX
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Awesome news!

Loved the finale.
I have no idea what the point of this show is, but the finale was hella entertaining. I'm in for more amiable, heavily accented violence.
Curb your Enthusiasm meets CHOPPER is about how I see the show.
(10-03-2018, 11:21 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: The whole attempt to get rid of the brother-in-law’s body was a riot. 

Yuuuup.   How the show pulls off that last gag was astounding.

This show has a lot of patience, and is willing to take as much time to build the joke so it absolutely kills when it lands.

Also, that conversation in episode 5 about whether Quentin is a “blokey bloke's” name is hysterical.

Also, I think this show contrasts nicely with Barry.  While I liked the tonal shifts of that show (which served to make the bleak aspects of Barry's career that more effective), I totally understand how some people might think Barry was a bit too "cute."  I like that that's not the case with Mr. Inbetween.  Everyone is pretty awful and the show doesn't hold back in showing the main character as ruthless--it just happens to also be funny at the same time.
Oh yeah, the new season is coming out next week. I'm excited about it.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Back tonight!
Missed the first season, but I've heard good things. If I start watching tonight's premiere will I be completely lost?
I wouldn't say completely lost, but I'm sure some character beats will work better if you've seen the first season. Think it was just 6 episodes so you could probably knock 'em out in a couple days.
(09-12-2019, 07:25 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: I wouldn't say completely lost, but I'm sure some character beats will work better if you've seen the first season. Think it was just 6 episodes so you could probably knock 'em out in a couple days.

It's certainly more of a "slice of life" if anything. And I think the first episode of this season does a pretty good job of reintroducing Ray so I don't think you have to watch the first season.
"Why did she do it?"

Great first episode for the season. The group therapy scene was sensational.
Loved their Bond discussion, especially how they kept referring to Craig as “Guy playing him now.”
Yeah, somehow this is my favorite show on TV right now, even though I couldn't even really tell you what I like so much about it.
(09-27-2019, 09:00 AM)schwartz Wrote: Yeah, somehow this is my favorite show on TV right now, even though I couldn't even really tell you what I like so much about it.

Yeah, and it's because none of what makes the show good has anything to do with the plot. There's no catchy hook that you can sell people on.  Guy is a hitman who also has to deal with a girlfriend and daughter sounds like a billion other tv shows.

What makes it work is its pacing, the accents,and  the performances. All of them combine to elevate an unoriginal premise.
"Why did she do it?"

(09-27-2019, 09:38 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 09:00 AM)schwartz Wrote: Yeah, somehow this is my favorite show on TV right now, even though I couldn't even really tell you what I like so much about it.

Yeah, and it's because none of what makes the show good has anything to do with the plot. There's no catchy hook that you can sell people on.  Guy is a hitman who also has to deal with a girlfriend and daughter sounds like a billion other tv shows.

What makes it work is its pacing, the accents,and  the performances. All of them combine to elevate an unoriginal premise.

But his girlfriend and daughter aren’t really burdens, or ever cramping his hit man style. Also he’s more enforcer than hit man, for the most lackadaisical crime syndicate you’ll ever see on tv. Even the “mob guy goes to anger management” stuff barely even rises to the level of a subplot, much less the Sopranos rip off it would make you expect.
(09-27-2019, 09:38 PM)ska oreo Wrote:

But his girlfriend and daughter aren’t really burdens, or ever cramping his hit man style. Also he’s more enforcer than hit man, for the most lackadaisical crime syndicate you’ll ever see on tv. Even the “mob guy goes to anger management” stuff barely even rises to the level of a subplot, much less the Sopranos rip off it would make you expect.
finished the latest episode and I don't know which part was funnier. The "Which Bond is better" bit, the "I came from your balls?" bit or "Ray and helpless schmuck attempting to bargain over how bad Ray should work the guy over."

I fucking love this show.
"Why did she do it?"

A little more on the grim side this week.
Seemed more like a White Elephant than a Secret Santa.
Man, that was intense.

Gotta believe Ray's boss is gonna put a hit out on him.
just caught up to last episode, and my god that brawl was bruuuuutal.
"Why did she do it?"

Yeah, that was one of the best fight scenes this year.

The biker guys had to be working on order from Ray's boss.
Damn.