Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mr. Inbetween
(05-06-2021, 05:29 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 05:01 PM)ska oreo Wrote: You really need to watch it.  It’s the Australian love child of Resevoir Dogs and Fargo.

I think you're onto something there, although it has a different flavor than either of those by virtue of not being an ensemble show.  It's almost like the violent crime version of one of those semi-serialized/semi-anthology comedian auteur projects in the vein of LOUIE or MASTER OF NONE.

I mean it doesn't go FULL AUTEUR like Noah Hawley's Fargo does, but yeah. I watched a video essay about the show and apparently  Scott Ryan, who plays Shoesmith and writes every single episode, has done nothing else but this series.  He did the original short film, which was made into a full feature length movie, and apparently spent the better part of a decade shopping the idea around for a series until FX picked it up.  And that's it. His IMDB credits are solely his directing/writing contributions for this singular character.   

And it shows.  This is the work of someone who gave his all for his series, and the show has that confidence.  And Ryan has to be declining work because there is no way that he hasn't been getting attention for Mr. Inbetween.  His performance is fucking masterful; wavering between being humorous and menacing all in a single scene.  Yeah I gotta get through the second season.  But yeah, this show is awesome. And while the third season is the final one, I'm sure it's gonna end on a high note.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
What a great show.
I've been very curious, is the show's title a reference to the song Accentuate the Positive? Because Mr. In-Between does look someone I wouldn't want to mess with.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It's a nod to the song I'm sure. Also fits the fact that his character is juggling life as a single dad with being a violent criminal.
“Naughty Boy Productions. Gary speaking.”
Holy shit I forgot this was happening.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
So yeah I just watched the season 3 premiere. It's really, really good. I do sort of love how the show doesn't even have to fully follow Ray to be engaging, which leads to think that you could totally have an Aussie show that follows a bunch of characters in the criminal underworld.

Also...any other show would make Ray being sent to jail a massive plotpoint. It's kind of treated like a shrug.
Or Ray having a double-cross that leads to a massive shootout with a mirror image version of himself would be a seasons finale event that leaves him staring darkly at himself in a mirror. Instead of like the first half of the season premiere.
This recent episode....

-that's how all High School reunions should go.

-good conversation between Ray and his old teacher

-part of me is glad that they didn't show what Ray was going to do to the drug dealer...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Goddamn.
Damn it…
Good way to end…but I’m also pissed because I want to see more of this character.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Freaked me out when he had a little hair.
Great series, been on my recommendation list for folks since it premiered. Sorry to see it go, but damn that was a strong finish.
Good little interview with Scott Ryan:

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-ra...587zj.html
I think it's quite obvious that Ray survives his encounter with the two dudes if his patented wolf grin and his "aint I stinker" glance at the camera is any indication

But yeah...really glad I finally made it through this.  I think as a whole this is going to be appearing on a lot of best of lists for the next decade.  That show that a bunch of people are gonna to wish they watched while it was on.  But thankfully, this is an example of someone with clear vision getting to end his show on his own terms.  As much as I would have been down for at least five more seasons of this, I'm glad this ended on a high note.

"Run"
I don't think there is any question that Ray survived.

I think appreciation for the show will grow over time, but I don't know that it will ever crack many Best Of lists. It's a bit too low-key to edge out the louder competition.
I do love a good ambiguous ending but I have to admit that I really would have loved to see Ray fuck up those two idiots.
(09-03-2021, 07:34 PM)vtran Wrote: I do love a good ambiguous ending but I have to admit that I really would have loved to see Ray fuck up those two idiots.

It's not really ambiguous when you think about it.  

Considering where they were taking him, Ray had to have known what the deal was.  I mean we've spent three seasons learning that Ray is very smart and these kids very clearly didn't know what they were messing with. The fact that they don't even try to use a gun tells me that they are hoplessly outmatched. But it's that grin and look at the camera that cements that--"I'm the fucking Magician. the fuck you think is going to happen?"  So of course we know he will, so its a good beat to end on.

Ray always comes out on top.